Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Looks like the distribution for Minifigs Series 14 isn't bad. There are three full sets per box. 5 each of Zombie Pirates, Mad Scientists, and Monster Rockers, and 4 each of Plant Monsters, Fly Monsters, Spectra, Gargoyles, and Square Foots. Everything else has 3.

Easy feel-confirmations:
Wolf Guy: Long bone
Zombie Pirate: Notched 'orc' sword, neckbeard
Scientist: Beaker, weird head
Witch: Broomstick (swept head, not straight)
Plant: Tentacles
Fly: Wings, but may be confused for the gargoyle. Feel for the indent on the side where the wing pairs meet. Also, normal legs.
Spectra: Short chain
Cheerleader: Two bumpy Pom-poms
Catgirl: Whip
Gargoyle: Wings, but may be confused with the fly. Feel for three 'fingertip' bumps on the underside of the wings. Also, kid legs.
Skeleton costume: Basket handle
Rocker: Guitar
White collar zombie: 2x2 tile
Banshee: Weird leg piece, large bumpy hair piece.
Squarefoot: Camera, but it might be confused with the white collar zombie's briefcase. Confirm with a spiky-feeling bulky headpiece.
Spider lady: Slope brick dress (only one in the set, and they're always easy to ID)

All pretty easy identifiers this time around, but the fly/gargoyle wings might mix you up. Appearing early in random Targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

How many figures are in a full case? 59?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The_Doctor posted:

I can save money this year! The Winter Village release is... a re-release of the Toy Shop..? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADH3LOB5bk

Oh boy there's a couple new printed pieces and some new tiny toy pieces!

Anyway, check out this Lego setup at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania (1:28)

http://bcove.me/ujhlljsx

Wonder if they know how much those old modulars are worth.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well I was going to get my first Christmas piece but the set is...bleak? It seems not very festive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hopper posted:

Well I was going to get my first Christmas piece but the set is...bleak? It seems not very festive.

Oh no, the Toy Shop is a great set. It has a huge Christmas tree in the process of being decorated, and there's garlands up and whatnot. Other sets may be more festive, like Santa's Workshop from last year. But this is still pretty bitching.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
We have the original toy store, so it's a bit disappointing we won't be adding to our Christmas village this year. The extra toys are neat, and it's something my two boys (8+6) do with the set each year already, using their other lego they make a lot of microscale toys and put them on display in the shop, under the tree, in kids hands etc.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Rage posted:

How many figures are in a full case? 59?

I thought it was either 48 or 64?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I don't have the original so I'll get this one, but I can see how it's a bummer to those that already have it.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
60 figs in a set.

I am not happy with the winter set, in part because I know I'll buy it despite owning the original.

I'm really surprised Lego would do this, it always appeared these were huge sellers, and they have really made my tree villages must nicer.

OTOH this will gently caress with resellers which is cool.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

What's the best way to buy a full minifig case? I have a friend who would probably split one from me. This is the first minifig set that's interested me so I don't have any experience with them.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have the witch from series 14? I have extras of everything from series 14. Maybe we can do a 1:1 trade?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

If there's 60 in a case then that count is off by one up above.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Oops, the line break was in an awkward place and I didn't see that Skeleton Guys were also 4 per case.

One of my Targets had just 4 S14 left on the pegboard, so I grabbed them all. Spider Lady, Plant Monster, Mad Scientist, and Fly monster. I really like the head print of the mad scientist without his crazy hat. Also, his flask has a fly printed on it. :) The Mad Scientist was harder to feel than I expected; I could not locate the flask.
Something very weird with the Plant Monster--his neck has the painted square non-Chinese-manufactured minifigs have (none of the other three have one), but it's quite small; it's half the size of the square on, say, my Ultra Agents figures.
The Fly Monster's eyes are translucent and visible from inside the mask. If you a crazy person and mod LEDs into minifigs, you could backlight its eyes and it'd look pretty sweet.

Also discovered something new at Toys R Us. They're emptying a box of any set $100+, taping it up, and putting just that on display. The only expensive sets that still had pieces had the spider security things on them, and they were all older and probably going OOP. Seems a bit strange to me. Those big boxes are harder to shoplift, and they're also the hardest to open up to steal minifigs out of since they almost always split the figs up into multiple bags and there's about a thousand other pieces to get in the way. And those big boxes are just satisfying in their heft.

Koruthaiolos posted:

What's the best way to buy a full minifig case? I have a friend who would probably split one from me. This is the first minifig set that's interested me so I don't have any experience with them.

Depends what the stores around you do. My Targets never put the box on the shelf--they pegboard endcap the minifigs. My local Fred Meyers usually open a couple of boxes and have sealed ones behind, which I used to buy when they weren't $4 a fig (though, the nearest hasn't done the last two series, presumably because they always overbuy and get like a dozen cases and they sit on shelves for months). I'd just take a box and tell the checker there were 60 in there. I rarely see more than one or two boxes of figs out at Toys R Us, and they're never sealed. Even if an opened case is full, someone may have combined two half-empty boxes, so it's still a crapshoot.
You can always ask an employee if they have any sealed boxes, or if you're particularly friendly, ask if they could set one aside the next time the get a shipment in.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 22, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Would a Lego store be a better bet than other retailers? I suppose I should just call them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pyroclastic posted:

Oops, the line break was in an awkward place and I didn't see that Skeleton Guys were also 4 per case.

One of my Targets had just 4 S14 left on the pegboard, so I grabbed them all. Spider Lady, Plant Monster, Mad Scientist, and Fly monster. I really like the head print of the mad scientist without his crazy hat. Also, his flask has a fly printed on it. :) The Mad Scientist was harder to feel than I expected; I could not locate the flask.
Something very weird with the Plant Monster--his neck has the painted square non-Chinese-manufactured minifigs have (none of the other three have one), but it's quite small; it's half the size of the square on, say, my Ultra Agents figures.
The Fly Monster's eyes are translucent and visible from inside the mask. If you a crazy person and mod LEDs into minifigs, you could backlight its eyes and it'd look pretty sweet.

Also discovered something new at Toys R Us. They're emptying a box of any set $100+, taping it up, and putting just that on display. The only expensive sets that still had pieces had the spider security things on them, and they were all older and probably going OOP. Seems a bit strange to me. Those big boxes are harder to shoplift, and they're also the hardest to open up to steal minifigs out of since they almost always split the figs up into multiple bags and there's about a thousand other pieces to get in the way. And those big boxes are just satisfying in their heft.

Depends what the stores around you do. My Targets never put the box on the shelf--they pegboard endcap the minifigs. My local Fred Meyers usually open a couple of boxes and have sealed ones behind, which I used to buy when they weren't $4 a fig (though, the nearest hasn't done the last two series, presumably because they always overbuy and get like a dozen cases and they sit on shelves for months). I'd just take a box and tell the checker there were 60 in there. I rarely see more than one or two boxes of figs out at Toys R Us, and they're never sealed. Even if an opened case is full, someone may have combined two half-empty boxes, so it's still a crapshoot.
You can always ask an employee if they have any sealed boxes, or if you're particularly friendly, ask if they could set one aside the next time the get a shipment in.

I was unhappy when Fred Meyer added Lego to the list of things that the $ and % off coupons do not work on. :(

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Koruthaiolos posted:

Would a Lego store be a better bet than other retailers? I suppose I should just call them.

They'd probably sell you a sealed box if they had them, but I've only seen them dump them in a pile on a recessed shelf. Some Lego stores actually sort them out so you can get what you want without standing around in your crusty jorts feeling up bags for 45 minutes.

Brothers Brick posted the Advent Calendar builds.
I'm just not seeing anything interesting enough for $30-40. I like the micro space shuttle in City, but otherwise, meh. I'm not even sure C3P0's torso is unique; it looks like a standard Santa. Most of the Calendars seem focused on micro-builds now, and never really make any unified whole.
I'll probably pass them up even on clearance.

kensei posted:

I was unhappy when Fred Meyer added Lego to the list of things that the $ and % off coupons do not work on. :(

Sometimes coupons are still good for Lego. Might tend to be when they want to clear some space, but don't want to clearance or sale it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Local Toys R Us had 2 Wall-E boxes on the shelf but wouldn't sell it to me because their computer said not till Sept. 1st, why have it on the shelf then damnit?! :argh:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Star Wars advent is great, I want all those figs. I think this might be the first all OT one they've done?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/11817380/Lego-a-better-investment-than-shares-and-gold.html

We're all going to be rich.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Back from the Lego store. Can confirm that the F40 is awesome (didn't buy it yet because we think we already have 99% of the parts and just need the instruction PDF), the pagoda is amazing and the mystery machine is neat and also sold out.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I always find those articles so misleading because on an absolute scale the market is so small, an the effort so large, unlike the things it is compared to.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Still no luck finding a store that's broken the Sep. 1st street date on S14., I just wanna set my Halloween Legos up really early damnit!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the best currently available modular?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Detective's Office :3:

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Ika posted:

I always find those articles so misleading because on an absolute scale the market is so small, an the effort so large, unlike the things it is compared to.

There are so many dudes on like brickpicker with rooms of sealed Lego, carefully shelved with controlled climate etc. I think it's part hobby for them, rather than pure speculative capitalism. I think the Falcon and Cafe corner are just outliers, rather than real indicators of Lego growth value. WHO KNOWS maybe I'll liquidate my Roth IRA for Lego.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've thought about how they seem like a good investment, but the problem is that they are a total luxury item that would probably be worthless if the economy got worse. They could also lose popularity for whatever reason. They haven't always been this hot.

Building up an arsenal of NIB Lego sounds like a fun way to make an investment though. Too bad I'd have to buy 2 of every set I like because I wouldn't have the self control to not open them and build them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't really have any faith in the article because the prices people are setting on things like the VW Beetle are astronomical. It's only sold 6 times in the last 6 months on bricklink, at prices $300 lower than the average asking price.

So if there's some jorts wearing nerd out there with a closet full of Beetles and they decide to liquidate, they're hosed. If there's no market for your top dollar items it's all theoretical income.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just bought 2 giant ziploc bags full of lego for 40 bux and it contained what looks to be a complete or near complete LL 918 and two giant 24X43 tyres.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I also just got back from the Lego store. I knew that they were doing that minibuild-in-the-PAB wall thing, but hadn't realized how good that is. The alligator build that's on right now means some useful pieces in uncommon colors: Green headlight bricks, green 1x2/1x2 brackets, green hinge plates, green 1x2 baby bows, green 1x4 bows, green 1x2 plate with clip, green 1x2 with bar. They also had green 1x4 right wing, but no corresponding left wing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

NESguerilla posted:

The Parisian Cafe is gorgeous. The Pet Shop is a lot of fun, I prefer it when builders are forced to work with really limited space, more diversity. The Town Hall has kind of a dull interior and an ugly exterior. The Movie Theatre has an interesting outside but the interior sucks, each floor is one big room with some furniture dropped into it. I don't have the Detective's Office yet, but it appears to be great. Unlike the Pet Shop, the two buildings share the interior wall, so they can't be separated. I'm not sure if the Grand Emporium is still being sold, but it's alright. Boring build (each floor is one giant room, the upper two floors are near-identical, the two street-facing walls are identical) but the overall effect looks great.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Actually, that's a pretty good indication that prices are in an unsustainable bubble.

Which is even better: we're all going to be able to buy cheap lego

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I was irresponsible and grabbed the pet shop and Parisian cafe today. I'll probably grab the detective agency in a few weeks.

Now to find somewhere to display these.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What are the odds that Lego fills the upcoming Force Awakens sets with lovely pieces from China in anticipation of demand? I was all set to drop cash for the X-Wing and TIE, but now I'm not so sure.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What are the odds that Lego fills the upcoming Force Awakens sets with lovely pieces from China in anticipation of demand? I was all set to drop cash for the X-Wing and TIE, but now I'm not so sure.

High.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

When can I buy some danged Lego Doctor Who?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Unless I'm mistaken, the only confirmed sets are the level pack and fun pack for Lego Dimensions coming out in November and January respectively.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gann Jerrod posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only confirmed sets are the level pack and fun pack for Lego Dimensions coming out in November and January respectively.

That's right.

I'm really, really hoping they do something else with the licence, because we're still technically due a proper Lego Ideas set from it. It was supposed to be set No. 12, but that's now Wall-E. I'd be a little annoyed to think that Lego put effort into getting the licence from the BBC and then just put all their energy into a couple of level packs for Dimensions. Ideally, I could see a whole theme working for them. Console room, Dalek ship, etc. Plus all the Doctors as minifigs is a given. One can dream. :allears:

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That's right.

I'm really, really hoping they do something else with the licence, because we're still technically due a proper Lego Ideas set from it. It was supposed to be set No. 12, but that's now Wall-E. I'd be a little annoyed to think that Lego put effort into getting the licence from the BBC and then just put all their energy into a couple of level packs for Dimensions. Ideally, I could see a whole theme working for them. Console room, Dalek ship, etc. Plus all the Doctors as minifigs is a given. One can dream. :allears:

I would think if they went thru all the voting and stuff, the ideas set would still be coming. Maybe they are getting approval in the bigger set still. One can hope

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd like to start slowly collecting modulars after getting a taste for them from the bike shop, and the detectives office seemed like a good place to start, but holy poo poo the Parisian cafe is great looking. Might have to start out with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I did the first floor of the Parisian today. My thumb hurts from pushing on so many stupid floor tiles.