Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I do not enjoy playing ironman hockey.

Also I got tripped from the backside pretty bad, took a bad spill from it. Also got slashed pretty good, thankfully I have newer gloves. Upside to both of those is that at least a penalty was called.

We were up 3-2 since I think the middle end of the 2nd and we just kept trying to dump and ice it. Played something like a 1-1-3 in the neutral zone. At least the other team was the newer guys. Even though they had a full bench, they kind of gave up near the middle end of the third. I dunno if they ran out of gas or they took a shine to our play style.

Not gonna lie. I did not skate much for the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period. I think the only time I crossed our blue line in that time period was when a penalty was called at the other team and we had a faceoff in their zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

drizzle posted:

Everyone's a twat on the ice p much

Speaking of which: tonight, during a meaningless house league game, I gave a guy a Match penalty because he dropped some poor sap like a tonne of bricks with a two handed baseball swing to the head.

All because he got beat in an otherwise innocuous puck battle

First match I've called all year, and in a nothing game. Ugh.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

maybe the joke wasn't funny, much like your posting

sellouts, did i do that right

Fuckin do whatever celly you want man, that ones a beaut

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I have the best comedy!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My attitude has definitely changed from when I was doing this as a 20 year old vs now(35). I'm a lot more relaxed - when I was younger it was pretty terrifying and I imagine a lot of guys bluster a lot to make up for a lack of confidence.

The teams that consistently do the best with refs are the ones that treat them as completely exogenous to the game. We're trained to be as impartial as possible and some kids (and adults) deal with this better than others.

As for your question: that's generally because they're a bad ref or have made a bad choice about setting a standard which is inappropriate to the level of competition and then react and try to pull things back together. Doing this, as you've seen, is really hard and almost always unsuccessful and leaves nobody happy with the game, usually including the ref.

The smoothest games are where a ref sets a standard, whether high or low, at the start of the game and sticks to it. Teams adapt their play to the standard so having a changing standard is really hard on teams. I personally set a very bright line on what I call at the start of the game and then try to ease off until players start to push the boundaries of safety and fair play,and then I usually just need to issue a reminder penalty or two. It's usually a much calmer game this way.

Including the refs :v:

Thanks for the insight. I guess it makes sense as the guys that do that sort of out of hand makeup call stuff are the more lazy refs that either don't care until it gets way out of hand or don't realize poo poo has been going on all game until it boils over. We have one pair of like mid 20's guys who are real good. They don't take poo poo from players, meaning like if you yell at them they have a decent comeback for you not like a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty kind of not taking poo poo, and they call an even smooth game.

As you mentioned at the top of your post I know my attitude towards refs has changed a lot since my early 20's to where I am now (33). One game when I was probably 21 or 22 I got a bullshit penalty and berated the ref so badly on my way to the box he just tacked on two more penalties giving me three total and an auto ejection from the game. I finally figured out that its best just to say nothing at all, and if you're that pissed about it talk to the ref after the game and most times I find he'll explain what he saw and you can kind of have a rational discussion and maybe get the benefit of the doubt on the next one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
There's a funny video of an NHL ref who forgot to turn his mic off. The way you ref adults is very different from the way you ref kids :sun:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFE4B7IhIJM

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The gently caress YOU's are just supplemental discipline.:cop:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Our regional officiating coordinator calls those one minute penalties

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Got an assist last night off a goaltender screen and heavy net front presence. Just backhanded it over to the guy waiting at the back door. I now I have a 2 game point streak.

In ref chat, my team captain also refs minor hockey, but he decided to quit after a parent followed him in the refs locker room and tore into the officiating crew. Apparently there was a line brawl in 14U between two rival teams and he "should have controlled the situation". Not sure how you're supposed to separate ten 14 year olds with two linesman and a ref that's writing down penalties. Really sucks too, because there's a shortage of refs in the Carolina area due to parents being shits.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had 5 seconds of complete competence last night. Pushed a faceoff at centre back behind their C, poked it passed the D man who stepped up, then beat the last D in a foot race to the puck and snapped a shot in-stride from the hashmarks, low blocker off the post and in. I never get that ping sound.

Take that, talented 16 year old goalie who had made some redonk goal-line stops on our good players and who also had a two coaches on the bench. That'll teach you to beat us 10-4 in an 11:30pm start where each team only has 4 skaters.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Got an assist last night off a goaltender screen and heavy net front presence. Just backhanded it over to the guy waiting at the back door. I now I have a 2 game point streak.

In ref chat, my team captain also refs minor hockey, but he decided to quit after a parent followed him in the refs locker room and tore into the officiating crew. Apparently there was a line brawl in 14U between two rival teams and he "should have controlled the situation". Not sure how you're supposed to separate ten 14 year olds with two linesman and a ref that's writing down penalties. Really sucks too, because there's a shortage of refs in the Carolina area due to parents being shits.

That's loving shameful. There's a shortage everywhere because kids have more options for employment now and people generally are less willing to put up with that garbage. I could do 4 games a night if I had time because my region is so short on people

That said, If it was me I would have just reported the parent to the league pres and then laughed as he was locked out of arenas or restricted to enclosed seating areas for the season :v:

E: there is an argument that games break down like that because of poor game management (failure to call 'safety' penalties, uneven application, poor communication) but I'm not sure I buy it, and certainly not in every situation. Sometimes teenagers just want to rumble and hockey is one of the few places where the consequences for it are (relatively) light

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 17, 2017

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That said, If it was me I would have just reported the parent to the league pres and then laughed as he was locked out of arenas or restricted to enclosed seating areas for the season :v:

That depends on how lovely the management is. My dad reffed roller hockey for a long time, up until about 10 years ago when a coach he tossed tried to kick down the door to the refs' locker room. The league wouldn't back him on the suspension because the coach ran like 3 teams from that rink, and he threatened to go someplace else if they did anything. Roller hockey's been dying around here for years, so I imagine they couldn't handle the loss in revenue. My dad decided that was the last straw and quit (which probably hurt the league, roller is always hard up for refs).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Lynx posted:

That depends on how lovely the management is. My dad reffed roller hockey for a long time, up until about 10 years ago when a coach he tossed tried to kick down the door to the refs' locker room. The league wouldn't back him on the suspension because the coach ran like 3 teams from that rink, and he threatened to go someplace else if they did anything. Roller hockey's been dying around here for years, so I imagine they couldn't handle the loss in revenue. My dad decided that was the last straw and quit (which probably hurt the league, roller is always hard up for refs).

We were discussing Minor hockey which usually doesn't have the same considerations due to predefined catchments and such - and is also (often) better run than many ref leagues, but that can definitely be an issue if the person in question is influential. Refs where I live have what is effectively a union that operates under the regional governing body so it's harder for a local association to pull those kinds of shenanigans

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's loving shameful. There's a shortage everywhere because kids have more options for employment now and people generally are less willing to put up with that garbage. I could do 4 games a night if I had time because my region is so short on people

E: there is an argument that games break down like that because of poor game management (failure to call 'safety' penalties, uneven application, poor communication) but I'm not sure I buy it, and certainly not in every situation. Sometimes teenagers just want to rumble and hockey is one of the few places where the consequences for it are (relatively) light

Sad thing is there wasn't really much the refs could have done to diffuse the situation. A goalie got slashed while covering the puck and he gets up and just decks the kid in front of him with like 1 minute left in the game. After that the gloves came off and it turned into a yard sale. The ref is like 50 years old and 5'6" and a lot of the kids are basically bigger than he is.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Sad thing is there wasn't really much the refs could have done to diffuse the situation. A goalie got slashed while covering the puck and he gets up and just decks the kid in front of him with like 1 minute left in the game. After that the gloves came off and it turned into a yard sale. The ref is like 50 years old and 5'6" and a lot of the kids are basically bigger than he is.

Yeah it's really hard to say without having been there. I'm sure he did what he could to keep guys safe.

We're frankly trained to just get out of the way in brawls like that because adding more bodies to the melee just makes it more likely someone (including the refs) gets hurt, unless a player is at risk of injury (think straddled, helmet off and getting fed on the ice) so we prioritize looking for fights that are imbalanced or winding down and get those guys off the ice as fast as possible, then just keep the area as safe as possible until the bigger guys run out of gas.

In Canada litigation isn't as much of a risk but in the US where litigation risk is much higher I could understand some reluctance from refs to physically enforce on teenagers, regardless of the reason.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hz, break up this poo poo with some more stories from the thunder dome or sick cellys or whatever y'all do

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I would love if I could wear the ref cam in Minor, the kids do some crazy poo poo that pros would never try

I saw a kid a couple years ago so a no poo poo alley-oop by flicking the puck off the glass behind the goalie and then batting it out of the air into the net

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played a couple seasons with a guy that kept trying that, he'd take the puck behind the net and try to shovel it over the net onto the goalie's back. It has to work someday, right??

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I also do things and have stories

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

I played a couple seasons with a guy that kept trying that, he'd take the puck behind the net and try to shovel it over the net onto the goalie's back. It has to work someday, right??

And when he finally does he will be able to tell everyone the story about THAT ONE TIME

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

hz, break up this poo poo with some more stories from the thunder dome or sick cellys or whatever y'all do

Man, nothing cool has happened recently. And by recently, I mean this week.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

i wanna hear more about your workout routine and how swole you're getting.

actually, jokes aside, anybody got any good workout/rehab poo poo focusing on ankles? My little bird joints need some strengthening now that I can mostly use it again.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

actually, jokes aside, anybody got any good workout/rehab poo poo focusing on ankles? My little bird joints need some strengthening now that I can mostly use it again.

I actually just went through about 2 months of physical therapy for my knee/ankle, I can probably write up some exercises depending on what you're looking for. Mostly just find yourself a bosu ball and balance on it on the bad ankle. Once that gets easy, grab a medicine ball and hold it away from your body to make it more difficult. I eventually got to throwing the medicine ball at a rebounder while balancing on the bad leg, and now that ankle is stronger than my non-broken dominant leg.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Just signed up to play a D-league pickup game at Joe Louis Arena in April. Hopefully I'm not too much of a liability, but I figure i should be fine in D league.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Our goalie was 35-40 minutes late last night because, and I quote, "NO ONE TOLD ME THE TIME CHANGED!!! I printed it out and everything!"
Proceeds to let in 7 goals on 21 shots, most of them from at or above the circles on pucks that never left the ice.

Literally our entire team as well as the entirety of the opposing team was there on time.

:suicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My team keeps losing and people are getting shittier and shittier about it.

I don't know what to say to calm people down. It's obvious we're the worst team in the "cup". We have trouble getting the puck out of our own end. The last game I attended we lost 20-1 (although 3 of those i'm fairly sure I could have stopped if I wasn't so terrible) and people are getting chippy with the refs.

Not sure what to do aside from tell them to nut up and just have fun. We're a brand new team, who cares right? We aren't going to win until we get some form of synergy going.

Also, regarding people shouting "human being" at the rink (few pages back, i'm catching up), pretty sure that's one of the nicest insults i've heard people shouting at the games I go to. English chirps aren't clever, most of them are just trying to insult a guy in the most disgusting way possible.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

dogstile posted:

My team keeps losing and people are getting shittier and shittier about it.

I don't know what to say to calm people down. It's obvious we're the worst team in the "cup". We have trouble getting the puck out of our own end. The last game I attended we lost 20-1 (although 3 of those i'm fairly sure I could have stopped if I wasn't so terrible) and people are getting chippy with the refs.

Not sure what to do aside from tell them to nut up and just have fun. We're a brand new team, who cares right? We aren't going to win until we get some form of synergy going.

Also, regarding people shouting "human being" at the rink (few pages back, i'm catching up), pretty sure that's one of the nicest insults i've heard people shouting at the games I go to. English chirps aren't clever, most of them are just trying to insult a guy in the most disgusting way possible.

gently caress dude if the team is losing 20-1 there's not much that can be done other than move down a division. Unless of course this is the beginner league in which cause the league director should balance the teams better.

We played the best team in the league last night to a 6-3 loss. First two goals went straight in bar down on me, but I settled in the rest of the game. Second game in a row where I've faced 40+ shots. 4 of our players came to the game absolutely shitfaced and could barely walk much less skate. Team captain also pepped us up by saying "well we're going to get loving crushed tonight, just have fun".

Officiating was pretty terrible too. We got called for icing on a penalty kill and there were like 3 blown offsides calls. One ref also wanted everybody to line up for faceoffs 100% according to the rulebook. I finally said "look dude just drop the puck, we're getting killed out here" to keep the clock running.

Oh well, kept my save% above .850 for the last two games :toot:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah we're in the lowest and every time in here isn't "good" but we're so bad even pretty average teams can roll us. The teams that roll on us aren't actually that good or anywhere near good enough for the conference (next league up, those were the guys that beat us 32-0 in a loving friendly) but they're certainly good enough to beat us.

Doesn't help that a lot of us only started skating in the last year or 2. I've had more skate experience than quite a few of the guys and that's saying something.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Jesus do any of your teammates actually understand fundamentals of hockey offence and defence? Only other thing I can think of is nobody on your team can skate well enough to stop or skate backwards.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

poo poo at this point you should just have joint practice sessions instead of real games. Losing 20-1 is just torture and the league should have a mercy rule or something. You go down by 10 and the rest of the game is used to teach drills and practice fundamentals.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Just agree with the other team to put your sticks in the middle and play an actual fun game if you get down by more than 5

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean honestly? No we don't get offense and defence.

Once it's in our zone we have trouble getting it out and once/if we do get it out it's usually turned over in the neutral zone and back before the D have adequate time to change.

The wingers also don't cover the pointmen, so we're hosed both ways, even if we get it, we've got nobody to pass it to because everyone is around the goal.

It'll improve. I'm certainly no pro, but yeah, currently it's pretty bad for us.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see that a lot in the beginner games, no one (myself included) has confidence to handle the puck under pressure or can play the puck with their head up, so every time the hand grenade comes their way they slap it up ice and hope for a positive result. Teams that can do a bit of passing will absolutely dominate this type of play.

Positioning, there's not much you can do about that in rec league so you just gotta shrug it off. But encouraging people to hold on to the puck long enough to look for a target really helps over time.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

xzzy posted:

I see that a lot in the beginner games, no one (myself included) has confidence to handle the puck under pressure or can play the puck with their head up, so every time the hand grenade comes their way they slap it up ice and hope for a positive result.

This is the most annoying thing I see in beginner level games I play goalie for. I try to encourage them by saying its better to battle for the puck then just give it to them, and if you do have to slap it up the ice at least bounce it off the boards to avoid icing.

At that level it is important to work on (after skating of course, that's #1 always) is giving and receiving passes while skating. The players that start doing this generally are moved up soon after.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played against a guy last night who used to play Junior A. We lost 8-1. It was not fun. He's also not on the list of people to get booted either. Good times.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Who do I bribe to find a stick that's not a lie 6

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm halfway done with my lessons now, and even though improvements aren't going as quickly as they were initially, I'm definitely still making good progress. I'm probably going to immediately sign up for the advanced class again as soon as this batch of classes ends in mid-March.

My crossovers are improving a ton, but I feel like crossovers are the only time I'm ever comfortable using my outside edges. I can do figure 8's on my inside edges fairly well, but I can't turn for poo poo on my outside edges. I've been working a lot on skating backwards, and it's incredibly frustrating that I can do C-Cuts fairly well with my right foot, but my left foot just refuses to cooperate and I don't know what to do. Even when I slow down to a snail's pace, my left foot won't work properly when skating backwards. I'm sure I just need more practice, but arrrgh it's so frustrating when my brain knows what to do and my body won't listen.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Can almost guarantee you're not bending your knees/getting low enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Well with cross overs you are using one foot's inside edge for one push and the other foods outside edge for the other push.

As far as backward skating with one foot being better than the other I'll just say what a retired gentlemen watching me learn to skate said about 3 years ago when I was just starting out:

"Ye ever noticed one foot is just way more fukken retarded than the other?" :clint:

I do notice my good man, I do :canada: