Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

Lindsay Vonn has had the Cap one so they probably have their choice and aren't forced to wear one for their gender.

That is cool.

I'll admit, it does bother me a little that Team USA has been turned into a movie billboard, at the same time, it's neat to see the outfits in that setting. Be more neat if the athletes had made the choice the,selves, but capitalism's gotta capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not wearing them for the actual events I don't think, so at least the pictures of the medal podium and stuff won't be Disney branded.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Plus Blade is far more a vampire/martial arts movie than it is a 'superhero' film. It's not as disingenuous as the one person I saw trying to claim Men In Black was a movie featuring a black superhero, though.

They also bring up Fast and the Furious, which is really diverse, but the discussion is about comic movies, and even using these examples, the genre of "big budget AAA studio blockbusters" is still not very diverse.

Don't they have basically the entire Lady Liberators in the films now? Valkyrie, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and The Wasp?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They're not wearing them for the actual events I don't think, so at least the pictures of the medal podium and stuff won't be Disney branded.

No, they're the official outfits for the teams. They're wearing them for the events.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

No, they're the official outfits for the teams. They're wearing them for the events.

There's pictures from today of plenty of athletes not wearing them though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And it's not like you can see the Captain Marvel logo when they're wearing a race bib.

e: whomp whomp https://twitter.com/usskiteam/status/930224166363688960

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 11, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
An Olympian wearing a superhero uniform to compete would make it a 100% chance of them suffering an accident and inheriting powers in a comicbook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they have a choice?

I know I've seen tons of photos of Mikaela Shiffrin in her Captain Marvel one over the past few months.

Samuringa posted:

An Olympian wearing a superhero uniform to compete would make it a 100% chance of them suffering an accident and inheriting powers in a comicbook.

That was my Champions Online character's origin story.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
in terms of me predicting Black Panther spoilers im pretty sure i called it

Dont forget to buy me a new sig!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You and everyone else called that one.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
It's not that Black Panther is a blockbuster starring black people, it's a blockbuster starring almost only black people, in Africa, and it's not some historical drama about slavery.

Up until this point if you wanted a 90% black cast you got no budget or you were Tyler Perry. I mean 12 Years a Slave had 2 black actors(one of them unknown) and like 12 white ones.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It's not that Black Panther is a blockbuster starring black people, it's a blockbuster starring almost only black people, in Africa, and it's not some historical drama about slavery.

Up until this point if you wanted a 90% black cast you got no budget or you were Tyler Perry. I mean 12 Years a Slave had 2 black actors(one of them unknown) and like 12 white ones.

Yeah, I've been trying to come up with a succinct way to put it and this is pretty much as close as I could have gotten. I would add to that "and it's not a wacky comedy but being treated just as seriously as its contemporaries."

What makes Black Panther special, among other things, is it's a movie that conventional Hollywood wisdom from conservative old white guy producers would have you believe is a sure-fired impossibility, a flop waiting to happen as audiences are utterly perplexed by a movie predominantly featuring black actors that isn't a "black movie," and yet it looks poised to be one of the hottest Marvel movies since Civil War.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I really like this one

It's excellent bait.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One of those isn't even a loving movie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Find a random person on the street, on the off-chance they even know what the movie Spawn is, ask them the ethnicity of the title character. Knowing Spawn is a black man is basically something only comic nerds know. And not even all of them will. It's kind of baked into the book in a kind of insidiously brilliant move by MacFarlane, he created a black superhero but made his race a twist, so he could avoid having to show a black man on the covers or marketing.

And the modern conception of the blockbuster didn't even loving exist when Shaft was made.

Catwoman, Blade and Hancock, OK, you have a modicum of a point, although I'd argue that the first two were basically expected to fail (or at least not succeed to the degree that Blade ended up doing) and Hancock was sold more as a wacky Will Smith comedy than an action film

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 11, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It reminds me of when Wonder Woman was being touted as the first female superhero movie and people kept slamming the Catwoman, Elektra, and...Barb Wire...buttons for some reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Must suck being so racist you feel the need to correct Salon articles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone tried to drag me into a FB argument that was basically "TWO WHITE GUYS CREATED BLACK PANTHER SO THERE"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I do think the Salon headline is ignorantly written in a way that makes it sound like they're trying to give Black Panther credit it doesn't need. It's a cultural event in it's own right without being the first movie to feature a black hero.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what people say about it as long as everyone is excited, it makes a ton of money, and producers start taking Black/Asian/Latino/etc projects serious.

We need more representation and I hope Black Panther is the snowball that rolls through Hollywood gathering mass and speed, crushing anyone not young/woke enough to get out of the way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Someone tried to drag me into a FB argument that was basically "TWO WHITE GUYS CREATED BLACK PANTHER SO THERE"

Haha. I was thinking yesterday that it's refreshing I haven't heard anyone touting that.

We were jamming the soundtrack at the shop. Pretty good from what I've heard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some people are trying to take credit away from Black Panther, some are trying to give some to earlier forgotten movies, and everyone is doing it the wrong way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Haha. I was thinking yesterday that it's refreshing I haven't heard anyone touting that.

We were jamming the soundtrack at the shop. Pretty good from what I've heard.

I think my response was good enough.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That's an adorable pat on the back that he gives to himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah gently caress that guy.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Either way it's all stupid. Black Panther is obviously a huge deal, to attempt to diminish it's achievements before it comes out is absurd.

But also nobody would be arguing about what constitutes a blockbuster if the had simply wrote a headline that delt in facts like budget or the percentage of the cast that is black. Something that is truly unprecedented and not just technically unprecedented.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Could he not find a photo of Jack Kirby?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BrianWilly posted:

It reminds me of when Wonder Woman was being touted as the first female superhero movie and people kept slamming the Catwoman, Elektra, and...Barb Wire...buttons for some reason.
At least they didn't mention that awful Supergirl movie that has basically been forgotten

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh they did. I just forgot to include it :xd:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I think my response was good enough.

Just point out they're both jewish.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who is telling white people that it's not for them? That's a weird one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Me

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I'm going to have to give up my seat, aren't I?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm going to have to give up my seat, aren't I?

all whites have to sit in the front of the theater.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

My roommate was complaining because he bought tickets for the whole crew at a theater that does assigned seating, so he reserved the best two rows but a single seat(dead center) that was already taken.

I said "Don't worry, if you show up and he's white you get to look him dead in the eyes and just point to another seat, he'll understand".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

The head of African studies at IPFW in Fort Wayne Indiana.

He's silly.

Edit: To be clear, he told me that the BP comics "aren't exactly aimed at guys like you and I doubt you'll appreciate the film."

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 11, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

The head of African studies at IPFW in Fort Wayne Indiana.

He's silly.

Edit: To be clear, he told me that the BP comics "aren't exactly aimed at guys like you and I doubt you'll appreciate the film."

Lmao

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah. He's been a customer for years and always a but weird but when the Coates BP launched he got super goofy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Yeah. He's been a customer for years and always a but weird but when the Coates BP launched he got super goofy.

It is good if people are ezposed to other cultures folks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

Kevin Smith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like Dark Knight Rises got savaged, either. The consensus was "Eh, it's not quite as good as Dark Knight, little sloppy, plot's a bit all over the place and the villain isn't as strong. Still dece."

Although a lot of teenagers who get their opinions on film from youtube yelling-mans who didn't like Inception had already decided that film was going to be a piece of poo poo before it came out, so who knows how any of this works.

what was that one loving idiot Reviewer who insisted Alfred saw Bruce's ghost at the end of DKR?:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 11, 2018

• Locked thread