Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

We may still have a beerfest type thing at the brewery next year, but in no way will we release bottles. I don't think we'll ever do any sort of bottle release again at the brewery. The Catador Club was created to avoid all this, but we always told ourselves "well, with the exception of Hunahpu's Day. That will suck, but at least it's only one day." But it's really not. It's months to plan and lots of hours overtime working and it still sucked. So, no more.

A beerfest by itself would probably work fine only because there's no profit incentive for many potential attendees so they're not interested.

I was there and I had a good time because I immediately acknowledged the situation and what was probably going to happen. Because of this I didn't even try to wait in line for the coveted beers. I found stuff like MAZURT's stuff which was wonderful and zero people waiting in line.

I also went and bought my bottles right away because any dolt that could see should have put 2 and 2 together and realized that there were going to be way more than 3500 people in there (this was around 1:30 where the end of the line still wasn't in sight).

While everyone has their own ideas of how this should have been handled and I'm sure the majority has voiced them already, I do want to comment about your plans for the future.

I dont think CCB should do this again on their property. You have way too many places to just walk on to the property allowing people to just walk in and get samples if they wanted to. I saw volunteers pouring samples in to pint glasses and if that's the case, I doubt they were looking for a bright colored wristbands.

Yes, there could be some guards at the dirt bridge over the sewer but the whole length down the side street is pretty much wide open.

Out of curiosity, did you guys keep the paper tickets to compare how many of them were repeat tickets and if some dick had like 20 extra tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Furious Lobster posted:

It's been said before but the main problem is combining a beer release + beer festival + lots of loving people in small space; I'm thinking about my own experiences with megawhale beer releases, the most recent being Beatification and Churchill's and while the latter did have both a crazy tap list and fairly sough after beer, the production numbers were capped at 150 people so it could never have grown to the craziness seen here.

In contrast, the Beatification release had a fairly decent tap list but nothing too crazy but the beer release itself was also a terrible failure of many many hours of waiting; that being said, I can only imagine the sheer potential for ridiculousness if Russian River had decided to try to make into a beer festival like the Firestone Walker Invitational. Also, speaking of Firestone Walker, the Feral One release was handled very well and it seems they learned from Russian River's failure by having multiple registers in the form of Squares + tablets.

Edit: Also the DDG release was incredibly smooth and probably the model that should have been followed by Russian River.

I've never had a problem at any event here in SD, to be honest. Even Lost Abbey stuff isn't that bad other than computer glitches and PtY tappings have been mostly smooth for me. In fact, the Lost Abbey anniversary parties are actually some of the most fun events I've been to since there's some really good value in them (ticket's 30 bucks and they have a ton of good stuff on tap).

I mean, I went to Churchill's Renaissance last weekend, showed up at 5:30 p.m., and immediately sat down, ordered 8 tasters of incredible, rare beer and ate dinner. And seriously, half the tap list was megawhales, and the only ones gone were PtY and the Finest Hour drafts (you could still buy on-site bottles).

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never had a problem at any event here in SD, to be honest. Even Lost Abbey stuff isn't that bad other than computer glitches and PtY tappings have been mostly smooth for me. In fact, the Lost Abbey anniversary parties are actually some of the most fun events I've been to since there's some really good value in them (ticket's 30 bucks and they have a ton of good stuff on tap).

I mean, I went to Churchill's Renaissance last weekend, showed up at 5:30 p.m., and immediately sat down, ordered 8 tasters of incredible, rare beer and ate dinner. And seriously, half the tap list was megawhales, and the only ones gone were PtY and the Finest Hour drafts (you could still buy on-site bottles).

Very much in agreement with this and even though I braved (stupidly) the release of CFH this year without really intending to in the first place, the double band system basically worked at preventing line cutting even though the rationale that went into it was basically to inflate Ivan's ego.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In non-CCB news, came across a fun little article on Hacker News of all places. So You Think You Want to Open a Brewery...

TLDR it is hard work

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bartolimu posted:

I can't wait for this to happen next week at EBF.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy this? I have a really hard time believing that many people thought they were going to scam their way into the festival.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't buy this? I have a really hard time believing that many people thought they were going to scam their way into the festival.

Yeah, the fact that almost 6,000 people supposedly just showed up to Huna Day, a 3500 ticket event, without a (legit) ticket is inconceivable.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Me in Reverse posted:

Yeah, the fact that almost 6,000 people supposedly just showed up to Huna Day, a 3500 ticket event, without a (legit) ticket is inconceivable.

I concur, but, y'know, FLORIDA.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

danbanana posted:

I concur, but, y'know, FLORIDA.

You reminded me of the best Twitter feed

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Eejit posted:

Hell, the best example is Perry's Pizza. Usually it's deserted aside from families having dinner and a few beer nerds drinking pretty good stuff. Tap some PtE and play up how exclusive and special the beer is? Prepare for all of Greenwood Village, Parker, and Highlands Ranch to be there.

Is PtE really that coveted there? It's on tap in Philly often, notably Monks and Memphis Taproom, and there's never lines or anything for it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Midorka posted:

Is PtE really that coveted there? It's on tap in Philly often, notably Monks and Memphis Taproom, and there's never lines or anything for it.

Philly is basically the only place outside of California that has Pliny anywhere near describable as "regularly".

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 10, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Midorka posted:

It's calming down, we must be getting better Russian River distro or something these days in CO. I definitely remember it used to be a Big Deal when somewhere got a keg of Pliny. But now it's available pretty frequently at places with good tap selections, and it's not impossible to get bottles. Edit: By "frequently" I mean every few months, not constantly. But that's still better than when it used to be as hard to come by as PtY is today.

I haven't been to the place Eejit's talking about but their locations are out in the (IMO ;)) lovely suburban wastes of Denver a fair hike from anything else. So they can probably get away with overhyping things because a keg of PtE is actually a dramatic upgrade over what's on at the Applebees next door or whatever.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 10, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Me in Reverse posted:

Philly is basically the only place that isn't Russian River that has Pliny anywhere near describable as "regularly".

You mean besides the metropolitan areas of the Bay Area, Los Angeles County and San Diego right?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Furious Lobster posted:

You mean besides the metropolitan areas of the Bay Area, Los Angeles County and San Diego right?

Yeah, I meant out of state.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Me in Reverse posted:

Philly is basically the only place that isn't Russian River that has Pliny anywhere near describable as "regularly".

In San Diego, too. We have it 90% of the time at Toronado and probably 60% of the time at O'Briens.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Docjowles posted:

It's calming down, we must be getting better Russian River distro or something these days in CO. I definitely remember it used to be a Big Deal when somewhere got a keg of Pliny. But now it's available pretty frequently at places with good tap selections, and it's not impossible to get bottles.

I haven't been to the place Eejit's talking about but their locations are out in the (IMO ;)) lovely suburban wastes of Denver a fair hike from anything else. So they can probably get away with overhyping things because a keg of PtE is actually a dramatic upgrade over what's on at the Applebees next door or whatever.

Parry's actually has a pretty solid taplist most of the time, so while the south suburbs are indeed quite lovely, we're not entirely in a beer wasteland. Also there are a few alright south suburban breweries. However, the area is full of the same type of douchebags that shat up the CCB event, though. They need to be CoolDad and CoolDad likes craft beer so CoolDad MUST consume PtE if PtE is declared cool by someone CoolDad thinks is also cool.

These are the same people that ski avalanche terrain in high avalanche danger in very avalanche prone terrain without avalanche gear and die in avalanches because they've been told sidecountry skiing is something CoolDads do. Basically I hate Highlands Ranch is what I'm trying to say.

e: Actually next time you're down in the DTC we should grab a slice of pizza and a beer at Parry's since it's easier for me to get to than the Source haha.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eejit posted:

e: Actually next time you're down in the DTC we should grab a slice of pizza and a beer at Parry's since it's easier for me to get to than the Source haha.

I'd be up for that! Prooobably a week from Wednesday. Although my boss picks which office we're having our weekly team meeting out of through some kind of inscrutable voodoo ceremony so I can't say for sure too far in advance.

Also I just learned that there is a great craft distillery nearby with no official tasting room hours but you can book group tours. Sounds like a good excuse for a Denver goonmeet.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hey, hey, all this stateism here :colbert: Let's not forget about the great state of Oregon where the last time I went to Portland was the first time I went to Apex and they didn't have Elder on tap. (They had Blind Pig tho)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Blind Pig is better than Pliny if we're going to compare apples and different apples.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I had my bottle of StoneWall stolen/accidentally taken from a 20ish person tasting at the CCB Brewpub at Friday. I really want to believe it was an accident, but after encountering all the loving horrible people I encountered on Saturday I'm starting to believe someone who was openly friendly towards me was in fact planning on stealing my beer. I literally had people on Saturday walk up and laugh in my face that they got the last pour of a bottle.

I can totally believe that some hundreds of nerds made fake tickets. I trust this won't happen at EBF because they are actually good about scanning all the tickets at EBF, year in and year out, and go up the line scanning tickets rather than just having one idiotic bottleneck at the front of the line. Also they have like bouncer dudes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

Blind Pig is better than Pliny if we're going to compare apples and different apples.

Not sure I agree with this but it is a fine-rear end beer and I'm glad we're starting to get kegs of it about as regularly as we do Pliny. Now if only we could get it bottled :negative:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh man, here we go again!

Docjowles posted:

I'd be up for that! Prooobably a week from Wednesday. Although my boss picks which office we're having our weekly team meeting out of through some kind of inscrutable voodoo ceremony so I can't say for sure too far in advance.

Also I just learned that there is a great craft distillery nearby with no official tasting room hours but you can book group tours. Sounds like a good excuse for a Denver goonmeet.

Alright man, just shoot me a text. Also I bet there would be several other goons in Denver that would take a tour, although the LAN thread is probably a better place for organizing a tour.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Docjowles posted:

It's calming down, we must be getting better Russian River distro or something these days in CO. I definitely remember it used to be a Big Deal when somewhere got a keg of Pliny. But now it's available pretty frequently at places with good tap selections, and it's not impossible to get bottles. Edit: By "frequently" I mean every few months, not constantly. But that's still better than when it used to be as hard to come by as PtY is today.

Thanks for explaining!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Docjowles posted:

In non-CCB news, came across a fun little article on Hacker News of all places. So You Think You Want to Open a Brewery...

TLDR it is hard work

Just wanted to say that every word in that article is 100% true. A lot of people idealize the industry as some special sanctuary of awesomeness, but it can be just as grueling and frustrating and exhausting as every other job you've ever had, if not more so. Still, I'd rather do this than anything else. :)

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Did you make it to Hunahpu's day but missed out on your allotment? Did you sit on your rear end at home all weekend drinking IPA's until you could no longer taste bitter? Well fear not because I am offering a limited time promotion to you fine beer loving goons!

:frogsiren:FREE DOUBLE BARREL HUNAHPU :frogsiren:

I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time so I landed nearly a case of these bad boys.

Just go fill out the Google doc on this page and I'll pull a name at random sometime during the week. You must have a reasonable number of posts in this thread to enter. Offer valid in the USA only.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Zfla-n13AjfeEUvXw5GveLhWKE1WV5933_xsLN6EHRs/viewform

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

LeafHouse posted:

Did you make it to Hunahpu's day but missed out on your allotment? Did you sit on your rear end at home all weekend drinking IPA's until you could no longer taste bitter? Well fear not because I am offering a limited time promotion to you fine beer loving goons!

mad decent of you, man.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ha, that's an amazing gift. Just don't give it away to someone who snuck in.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
the spirit of beer is alive and well in this thread

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That's pretty awesome. Check out the trading thread if you're interested in getting rid of any more!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pretty neat and generous offer!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My neck of the woods just started getting Clown Shoes distributed to it. I've only ever seen them in "look at this awful bottle art" posts, but all the craft beer bars around have been hyping it up like the next great thing. Do they make anything worth seaking out?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just got some PLEAD THE 5th for the first time. drat. I might like this more then ten fidy just because of how easy it is to drink for being 11%.

Also, Wake Up Dead Nitro worth picking up?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 11, 2014

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toebone posted:

My neck of the woods just started getting Clown Shoes distributed to it. I've only ever seen them in "look at this awful bottle art" posts, but all the craft beer bars around have been hyping it up like the next great thing. Do they make anything worth seaking out?

I agree their stuff is a bit oddish but I recommend their Mexican chocolate stout thingy.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Toebone posted:

I've only had their chocolate sombrero. It was good, nothing outstanding but decent spicy stout.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Toebone posted:

Clown Shoes comes up every once in a while. They make good beer for the price. Nothing is going to blow you away, but they have some solid beer, especially their stouts. The suggestions that get tossed out most are Blaecorn Unidragon, Porcine Unidragon, Vampire Slayer, Chocolate Sombrero, and Luchadore en Fuego. Hoppy Feet is not bad either for a non-stout suggestion. Though at the price it's not a huge commitment to try something not listed here.

edit - You can totally avoid that pecan beer they make though. It's universally shat on here for good reason. It's not undrinkable, but it's not well done or worth the money.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 11, 2014

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

LeafHouse posted:

I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time so I landed nearly a case of these bad boys.

Congrats and you're a gentleman and a scholar. Awesome.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Harminoff posted:

Just got some PLEAD THE 5th for the first time. drat. I might like this more then ten fidy just because of how easy it is to drink for being 11%.

Also, Wake Up Dead Nitro worth picking up?

No, don't bother. Milk Stout Nitro is great, but Wake Up Dead Nitro is not particularly good.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

americanzero4128 posted:

Nice dude, glad you like it! Have you tried the Daisy Cutter yet?

Yeah I drank one of the Daisy Cutter cans and it was pretty good. I was surprised by how light it was and also how restrained the hop presence felt. I was expecting a giant flowery pale ale but it was quite simple and pleasant. If I could get regular access to it I would drink it all the time, it had a lot of the straightforwardness I like from All Day IPA and other similar beers.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

Just go fill out the Google doc on this page and I'll pull a name at random sometime during the week. You must have a reasonable number of posts in this thread to enter. Offer valid in the USA only.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Zfla-n13AjfeEUvXw5GveLhWKE1WV5933_xsLN6EHRs/viewform

You are a good man and I've got plenty (two) of Double Barrel. I totally appreciate you doing this.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I just want to second that LeafHouse is the man for doing this! You should post everyone's reason for why they love beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LeafHouse posted:

I would enter but I don't post in this thread that much. You are seriously awesome for doing this, though.