Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I forget, given all the warp fuckery involved with primarchs, can primarchs sense one another? If so they could ask Big G himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Of course, the point being that Alpharius being dead (Aside from Praetorian of Dorn which spelt it out via the Omegon scene where he senses it through the Great Disturbance In The Force) would be exactly what Alpharius wanted you to think.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think there is a decent chance GW eventually reveals there is a 3rd AL primarch since the Hydra has three heads.

I also like the theory that Alpharius's primarch ability is that he can shard his soul and put pieces temporarily into his legionaries. When they say "I am Alpharius" they sometimes mean it. It could be that Alpharius was the only primarch emps created, but Alpharius being Alpharius he put half his soul in Omegon as a backup/insurance/force multiplier.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I think there is a decent chance GW eventually reveals there is a 3rd AL primarch since the Hydra has three heads.

I also like the theory that Alpharius's primarch ability is that he can shard his soul and put pieces temporarily into his legionaries. When they say "I am Alpharius" they sometimes mean it. It could be that Alpharius was the only primarch emps created, but Alpharius being Alpharius he put half his soul in Omegon as a backup/insurance/force multiplier.

This is kinda already cannon a legionary can drink alpha legion primarch blood and they either turn into him or are possessed by him for some unknown duration.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

We know how it ends. Badly, according to one of the Ghosts.
That could just be the "Hey didn't he end up in that Dalek chair?" kind of "badly".

Schadenboner posted:

This is violence.

E: I agree with you about Enuncia and Perpetuals, tho. In a system with plenty of built-in hooks it seems clunky and weird to insist on bending your own out of a hanger?
Or it's daemons loving with people by going "okay so we tell the humans that there's this language, right? And it can do anything and even we are scared of it, yeah? Then when they try use it we do a little bit of reality bending, kill the fucker, and BAM, belief harvest out the wazoo".

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Is there a book that talks about the High Lord's attempted coup against Guilliman?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Galvanik posted:

Is there a book that talks about the High Lord's attempted coup against Guilliman?

The Regent's Shadow

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alpha Legion is just Calvinball anyway

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

The other twin purportedly died at Guilliman's hands but the account of that rather mysteriously showed up in the Ultramarine's records so who knows.

" .....and then mighty Guilliman smote Alpharius, who is definitely now dead. So don't waste any of your time looking for him, or investigating rumours of his activities." Signed: Alpharius A totally trustworthy Ultramarine Chapter Master.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I finally finished reading that Necron short story “Severed” and I loved it. :kiddo:

The middle felt a little slow, but once Zahndrekh came back it immediately got great and didn’t stop.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Any mention on the Primarch's opinions on mutant civilians and abhumans? I don't think anyone's touched that subject, which is kind of weird.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Check out the interactive experience Cold Open Stories is starting. Check them out in general if you haven't, they are putting out some really great, professional quality 40k fan fiction, and they have frequent submissions. It would probably up your chances with BL open submissions if you had gotten published through Cold Open. I know at least one person they have featured got picked in the last window.

https://www.coldopenstories.com/experience/

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Just finished a re-read of Thousand Sons. In some ways it feels like a pitch-black comedy given how oblivious Magnus and the legion is to what they are doing. My favourite bit is when one of them is told an accurate account of the fall of the Eldar (not called that) and he's not interested because he's read plenty of other accounts with a similar story. I almost felt like screaming: "You idiots, you're repeating the exact same mistakes! Even to the point of harnessing demons!"

In conclusion, Russ did nothing wrong.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

Just finished a re-read of Thousand Sons. In some ways it feels like a pitch-black comedy given how oblivious Magnus and the legion is to what they are doing. My favourite bit is when one of them is told an accurate account of the fall of the Eldar (not called that) and he's not interested because he's read plenty of other accounts with a similar story. I almost felt like screaming: "You idiots, you're repeating the exact same mistakes! Even to the point of harnessing demons!"

Virgin Tutelaries vs Chad Demons

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I like Enuncia, it's easy to make canon and I really enjoyed the reveal on what they were doing with the Chaos-tainted computers. Also it's kind of like Enochian and it makes sense to me that there would be a universal ur-language that directly interfaces with Chaos because Chaos is everywhere. I also liked that guy who discovered the cursed equations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

I like Enuncia, it's easy to make canon and I really enjoyed the reveal on what they were doing with the Chaos-tainted computers. Also it's kind of like Enochian and it makes sense to me that there would be a universal ur-language that directly interfaces with Chaos because Chaos is everywhere. I also liked that guy who discovered the cursed equations.

I like it too, I think the main problem with it is that it doesn't interface well with the rest of the 40k universe, but that could be fixed with some books that tie it into the greater whole.

There's a lot of other "Abnett-verse" ( I don't mean that in a bad way like some people do) stuff that has become not just arbitrary canon, but a part of the consensus of 40k, in that other writers use it seamlessly, and it's part of how we all visualise the setting. Enuncia still kinda stands apart as his own special baby.

There were some good ideas earlier in the thread about how Enuncia could just be another demonic deception.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 22, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Relevant Tangent posted:

I really did like Bletchley Park But EEEEVVVIIILLL. That's true.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SardonicTyrant posted:

Any mention on the Primarch's opinions on mutant civilians and abhumans? I don't think anyone's touched that subject, which is kind of weird.

I could swear one of the books mentions that Sanguinius was much less hardline about mutants than the rest of them by virtue of well.. *gestures vaguely at enormous wings* but it's just kind of a single sentence aside.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inspector_666 posted:

I could swear one of the books mentions that Sanguinius was much less hardline about mutants than the rest of them by virtue of well.. *gestures vaguely at enormous wings* but it's just kind of a single sentence aside.

Yeah, he's scared out of his mind of being purged in every way conceivable.

Look pretty and don't loving jinx it. -Sanguinius to himself probably

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So I'm on the Mechanicum book now on my Horus Heresy read.

They really make asides to the two lost legions a lot in these books. The conversation that Rogal Dorn has with Malcador implies that not only do the two primarchs still exist, but their legions do too. They're just somehow unusable (but still loyal).

My current pet theory (completely unsubstantiated) is that they were sent off beyond the galactic rim to another Galaxy. Sort of a Clans of the Inner Sphere situation. So they can emerge triumphantly as a new faction if they need to. It would be fun to have science loving moral star trek humans come back and see what a shitshow the Imperium is, and feel like they need to cleanse it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

There's a pretty obvious reference in The First Heretic to them being absorbed by the Ultramarines.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Plucky Brit posted:

Russ is a cop and ACAB.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Rat posted:

There's a pretty obvious reference in The First Heretic to them being absorbed by the Ultramarines.

Hmmm, the line in Mechanicum is

‘No,’ said Malcador. ‘Not alone. Never alone. The Emperor may not stand beside us, but he has given us the means to fight this war and win it. Horus has three of his brother legions with him, you have your Fists and thirteen others.’

‘Would that it were fifteen,’ mused Dorn.

‘Do not even think it, my friend,’ warned Malcador. ‘They are lost to us forever.’

‘I know,’ said Dorn

Which implies that they're still out there somewhere. I guess 40k isn't known for having consistent lore though...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's open, but it's just as easily interpreted as "gone."

Which doesn't make sense if it were a purely administrative move, so something clearly happened.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I definitely read that as They No Longer Exist.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Moose-Alini posted:

I definitely read that as They No Longer Exist.

It does somewhat imply that they were loyalist though and something else happened which resulted in their destruction.

Otherwise I don't think Dorn would be so quick to say they would be with him.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

It does somewhat imply that they were loyalist though and something else happened which resulted in their destruction.

Otherwise I don't think Dorn would be so quick to say they would be with him.

There's a book further on where Dorn explicitly thinks (if that's even a phrase) that the Emperor would have already lost the war had the missing primarchs been around.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Plucky Brit posted:

In conclusion, Russ and Magnus truly deserve each-other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

moths posted:

It's open, but it's just as easily interpreted as "gone."

Which doesn't make sense if it were a purely administrative move, so something clearly happened.

i always view it as one was purged because out and out chaos/xeno influence or something like that and one was just lost.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
One was gay and one was a woman. The emperor was like "Eww gross, get them away"

Seems like the sort of thing Emps would do.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SerCypher posted:

One was gay and one was a woman. The emperor was like "Eww gross, get them away"

Seems like the sort of thing Emps would do.

It makes sense that at least one Primarch would embody the emperor’s fabulous side. Have you seen his perfectly conditioned hair? The attention to detail he spent gilding his armor juuuuuust right? That guy had style for days!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Plucky Brit posted:

It's mentioned here and there through several other books that chaos had never moved so openly in the past as it does during the heresy. The Imperium would occasionally fight a daemon or two, but open warfare simply never happened until the Word Bearers started summoning daemons, and even then they're being instructed by chaos itself. Only the Emperor had knowledge of what was really going on, and even he was vaught off guard.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It makes sense that at least one Primarch would embody the emperor’s fabulous side. Have you seen his perfectly conditioned hair? The attention to detail he spent gilding his armor juuuuuust right? That guy had style for days!

Fulgrim was this and also the Emperor's desire to turn into a snake monster.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Fulgrim was this and also the Emperor's desire to turn into a snake monster.

Let's not forget about the pear affaire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like that some of them were incorporated into extant legions, which implies that whatever happened was recent relative to the Heresy.

My pet theory is that they were pacifists or empathic, or wise enough to see that the Emperor's plan loving sucked.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Angry Lobster posted:

Let's not forget about the pear affaire.

Fulgrim was the Emperor’s power bottom side, Ferrus was the Emperor's power top side

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Fulgrim was the Emperor’s power bottom side, Ferrus was the Emperor's power top side

Mmmmm Hmmmmm stupid sexy primarchs...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The real answer to everything in the Heresy is that it was originally a one-page explanation of the backstory with a bunch of weird and random things thrown in that the Black Library authors tasked with the HH books suddenly had to explain and justify.

But also the Emperor is a mysterious inscrutable figure whose inner thoughts we can't give away, so half the Heresy books are people speculating why the Emperor does the things he does, with no obvious answer.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doesn't one of the Wolves/Tsons books say that Prospero was the third time the Wolves have been called in to fight another legion on Emp's request?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

moths posted:

I like that some of them were incorporated into extant legions, which implies that whatever happened was recent relative to the Heresy.

My pet theory is that they were pacifists or empathic, or wise enough to see that the Emperor's plan loving sucked.

When they wake Bjorn up to deal with the Inquisition fleet in The Emperor's Legion he says twenty legions. So whatever happened it was when he was around.

Edit: Emperor's Gift not legion.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 22, 2020