Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
That's $66 per working day on meals. I get that it's NYC, but maybe order an appetizer instead?

VV Yeah, that too

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Moneyball posted:

That's $66 per working day on meals. I get that it's NYC, but maybe order an appetizer instead?

More like cut it down to one drink instead of 5 probably

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What kind of weird rear end job makes it "mandatory" to eat/drink to the tune of $1400/month and doesn't reimburse you for it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Barry posted:

What kind of weird rear end job makes it "mandatory" to eat/drink to the tune of $1400/month and doesn't reimburse you for it?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's probably socializing with the team. If you don't go out and play, they won't work with you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

I believe we've covered what he is. :colbert:

He's an adorable little guy is what he is :3:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That is like the opposite of the guy who just brings his lunch every day and never socializes.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wait how is "most" of the money from the employer? Are there employers that contribute more than a match? Where are these employers, how do I line up to get this guy's job when he gets fired for installing bitcoin miners on everyone's computer?

My university does double matching - we're required to put 5% of our pay into a 403(b), and the university is required to match with 10% of our pay. It's glorious.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They cancelled the pension for new people before I started at my job so every new person gets an extra 8% of their salary added to their 401k.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

e

Teeter fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 30, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/552d53/am_i_being_scammed/

quote:

Am I being scammed? (self.personalfinance)
submitted 6 hours ago by Jaxx_Teller
Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I recently found myself in a rather strange situation. A few weeks ago, I was walking around with my girlfriend in a shopping mall. A lady who looked in her late 30's early 40's approached us and complemented my girlfriend's new heels she was wearing. The conversation opened up, and we ended up talking for a while. She asked us what we both do for a living. I told her that I recently graduated college (I am 23) with a business degree in Marketing, and that I am currently inbetween jobs, as I recently got out of a job working for my father's business for 6 months. I told her that my aim was to be self-employed one day. She said that I should talk to her husband as he could potentially have work for me, and asked for my number so he could reach me. In my head I said gently caress it why not, and we exchanged numbers. It seemed ordinary enough, and I believe the woman had her kids with her.

About a week passes and the husband texts me referencing that I spoke to his wife for a bit and he asked for a good time to chat on the phone. A week later we talked on the phone, and he asked if I would like to meet up for a coffee to talk for a little bit after I finished working at my part time job. I said sure, didn't seem like it would hurt. So last night after I got out of my shift, I met him at the closest Starbucks, and both him and his wife that I met prior were there. They were dressed nice.

The exchange was a mock interview of some sorts, but I still do not know what exactly it is they do. They asked me some general questions, and asked me what kind of a person I am. They asked if I am "process oriented" or "outcome oriented". The husband said he had a mentor when he was younger and now he is "financially independent". They asked what I am passionate about, and if I am a "free thinker". They asked about my hobbies and interests so I told them how I played sports for a while. The husband also said he has a son that plays football at a private school - a school that I have definitely heard of. They seemed to be fairly well-off. Then they gave me a book to read called, "The Business of the 21st Century" by Robert T. Kiyosaki. They asked me to read this book and that we are going to talk about it at our next meeting on Monday.

What should I make of all of this? This entire exchange has been quite strange, but I have no direct evidence that leads me to the conclusion that this is indeed a scam. They seem like nice people but I'm really not sure where this is going. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks in advance, I know this was kind of a long post.

If you ever think "is this a scam?" the answer is always yes. It's the inverse to the law of headlines.

A Robert Kiyosaki book recommendation should always set off alarm bells.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Ugh, I hope that guy actually gets scammed. He's an All Lives Matter /r/the_donald poster.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

bongwizzard posted:

What on earth would be the incentive to maintain expensive an machine then? Three or four bucks to get cash wherever and whenever I want to seems like a pretty reasonable fee to pay.

lol this guy actually like ATM fees

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MrKatharsis posted:

lol this guy actually like ATM fees

lol this guy posted to the wrong thread

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It was intentional.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/55494o/boyfriend_wants_to_buy_decent_used_car_but_i_dont/ posted:

My boyfriend's friend is selling a Ford Taurus with 70k miles. I'm not sure what year it is (maybe late 90's, early 2000's), but my boyfriend says that it is a good quality car. He's an auto tech and has done some work on it, so I trust him totally in that regard.

The guy is asking for $2000. He agreed to a $600 down payment and $200 a month. To me, it is a good deal for someone who needs a car.

But, we don't.

In fact, I have a 2015 Buick Verano that I'm making payments on. This was my biggest financial mistake but I'm dealing with it. I've had it for 13 months and it has 23,000 miles already. It's underwater, so I don't think I really have any options other than just pay it off.

My boyfriend wants us to use the Taurus for our out of town trips to slow down the amount of mileage racked up on my car, by the way. I don't know if this is really effective?

Anyways, my boyfriend has a '94 Toyota 4Runner that he primarily uses. He also has a Bronco and a Cobra Mustang, but neither are running. His plan is to get them going and keep them. He said that he wants to sell the 4Runner and the Taurus eventually, so we could use that money for other things, like a wedding, down payment for house, etc.

I don't know, I just don't think we need this car.

I am building up my emergency fund and it is at $1200. I really don't want to dip into it. When we were talking about it, I said for him to let me think about it, and if we decided to buy the Taurus, I'd give half of the down payment and he'd make the monthly's.

It is doable, by all means, but I guess I'm just needing some advice as to whether or not this is an advisable move.

Thanks for any advice.
BF has three cars, wants to add a fourth to reduce the mileage on his GF's car. Makes sense to me!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had a buddy like that. He had like five cars, two of them ran, and he was constantly looking to buy more cars to "fix and flip." He sold one at a loss. Last I spoke to him he had another two he was "working on."

Move I'd them any good. My favorite was a Chevy Beretta that he swore would be worth $10k if he got it running.

Holy poo poo.....maybe he was right!!!

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1927c25e

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 30, 2016

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I had a buddy like that. He had like five cars, two of them ran, and he was constantly looking to buy more cars to "fix and flip." He sold one at a loss. Last I spoke to him he had another two he was "working on."

Move I'd them any good. My favorite was a Chevy Beretta that he swore would be worth $10k if he got it running.

Holy poo poo.....maybe he was right!!!

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1927c25e
What in tarnations is that thing? I love it.

Just cause he has it for sale doesn't mean someone will buy it. If it sells... go ask him how much he made on it.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

DarkHorse posted:

Guys, I just learned that someone I know fell for the meat van scam... as the meat supplier!

My sister's father-in-law is a real piece of work, and owned a huge and beautiful cattle farm until he decided he hated his nursing job and quit to become a long-haul trucker of all things. Also cheated on his wife, managed to reconcile, then lied about long-haul trucking to live with his (different) mistress. He apparently falls for all sorts of get-rich-quick schemes.

Anyway, some guys told him they were with some restaurant that supplied to steakhouses including Ruth's Chris and wanted to work out a deal. So he loaded up a trailer full of his steaks and dropped it off, no collateral, no cash, nothing.

They found it a few days later, melting in the sun in some parking lot somewhere.

What was the scammers' angle if they didn't do anything with the steaks?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

What in tarnations is that thing? I love it.

Just cause he has it for sale doesn't mean someone will buy it. If it sells... go ask him how much he made on it.

Oh, that's not my buddy's. Just one for 10k I found on Autotrader. It looks like a car a 4 year old girl would design.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Choose Deth posted:

I read it as they took the steaks and the FIL got jack poo poo for them, because he abandoned a meatwagon in the desert sun & hoped cash would appear.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Haifisch posted:

I read it as they took the steaks and the FIL got jack poo poo for them, because he abandoned a meatwagon in the desert sun & hoped cash would appear.

It's hard to even call that a scam, since they asked for steaks and he gave them without payment. What a charitable fellow

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Choose Deth posted:

I believe the scam would be selling a truckload of steaks and claiming them off such quality that he could get a high return by reselling them. When I was in New Mexico, there was a truck selling "High Quality Omaha Steaks" at a low price and a co-worker and I came up with they were selling poor cuts or slaughtered dairy cattle if they were to make any sort of profit.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Oil! posted:

I believe the scam would be selling a truckload of steaks and claiming them off such quality that he could get a high return by reselling them. When I was in New Mexico, there was a truck selling "High Quality Omaha Steaks" at a low price and a co-worker and I came up with they were selling poor cuts or slaughtered dairy cattle if they were to make any sort of profit.

Sounds like a question for the scam/con thread but yeah it's lovely cuts. Or squeasel.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oil! posted:

Yeah that's normally how the meat scam works (my dad fell for it once because he's a sucker) but in this case it sounds like they got this guy to give them meat for free, and then... let it rot in the sun for 3 days? I'm not really sure.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Well, that explains the giant unrefrigerated truck that was parked at the mall with the giant "1$ per ribeye steaks" on the side.

I figured paying a dollar to have diarrhea was too much.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah that's normally how the meat scam works (my dad fell for it once because he's a sucker) but in this case it sounds like they got this guy to give them meat for free, and then... let it rot in the sun for 3 days? I'm not really sure.

Best I could tell they sold what steaks they could and then bailed on the rest rather than stay in possession of stolen property.

Doesn't change the fact he let go over a thousand dollars worth of steak without even proof of identity just because he was greedy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, some loss is to be expected when you're playing for high.....steaks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Buying an entire cow from a reputable butcher can be GWM, if you are honest with yourself about being able to eat that much and have an extra freezer. A bodybuilding friend did that and it worked out fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Even better GWM is marrying a girl whose father raises just enough cattle to keep all of his kids freezers full year round.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Buying an entire cow from a reputable butcher can be GWM, if you are honest with yourself about being able to eat that much and have an extra freezer. A bodybuilding friend did that and it worked out fine.

My parents got gifted half a sheep for letting a local farmer use their field sometimes. The most AMAZING lamb I ever tasted. Much more manageable size than a cow, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Man in his 30's whose job is to play with numbers all day is bad at math and extrapolating trends.

quote:

What is happening to my salary? Is it crazy to project this out over my lifetime? (self.personalfinance)

My professional career began ~6 years ago when I was 25. In 2010 I was hired at 47k. I now make 77k. That sounds completely normal based on what I know some of my friends make. My average raise over this time was ~7%.

There were 2 promotions in that time, but they are outliers and if you take them out my average is about 5%.

I'm 31 now, and if I project this out at 2.5% (about the baseline raise in my company) when I retire I'll be making 180k, at 5% (my average, without promotions) a ludicrous 429k, and at 7% (my average over 6 years) an impossible 831k.

Do my bosses know what is going on here? Or is this in line with inflation, and that 429k will just be the new average for a top performer approaching retirement in 2047 or whatever?
Our CEO makes ~300k and our other top managers make between 120-150k. I'm on an management trajectory, but I'm not Steve Jobs. Should I say something?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
:laffo: yes, maybe that idiot should raise a red flag before they give him too much money!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I was going to highlight some things, but I ended up highlighting literally 99% of the post.

This might legitimately be the worst non-bitcoin related financial disaster I've seen. Between his dad, his mom, his loans, interest, and possible ADDITIONAL future loans this is a >million dollar fiasco.

quote:

200K in Private Student Loans for a Music Degree, do I go back to school for IT to defer $1,800/mo payments + get job that will pay off loans?

Hello, I'll try to keep my life story as short as possible,

I went to one of the best music schools in the world on 200k of private student loans for a degree in audio engineering. I got a job working at one of the best studios in the world with Billboard 100 artists in LA to find all the assistants/runners make $8.00 an hour, and engineers only make $25.00 an hour if they're lucky enough to be put on a session where the artist didn't bring their own engineer (which happened 90% of the time), in which case they're demoted to assistant at $8.00/hr. Spent $300/mo on gas commuting 1hr each way to the city from my parents house. It was a dead end job with 7 day/week 12-16hr graveyard shifts and the occasional 20+ hour shift.

I was in AP Calc and Physics in high school and was previously enrolled at Penn State for one semester for Computer Engineering, dropped out and transferred the credits I completed to "FOLLOW MY DREAM!!!"

Monthly payments are from two private loans, one clocking in at $1,300 a month on forbearance until September, after which it will not be defer-able until it's paid off, no exceptions including school. This one can be deferred longer if I'm enrolled in a college BEFORE this coming September, in which case it can be pushed back up to 7 years past the date the loan was taken out in Spring 2010.
Second loan is $475 a month, have been making regular payments on this one. Currently working at Target living with parents driving my car from high school. I only make ~$500 a month from this job. So far I/my dad have not missed a single payment on any of the loans.

EDIT: I should add my interest rates are 3.6% and 3.9% respectively. Consolidating would raise them to around 4.1%

I've been building and repairing computers and setting up networks since the age of 13 and already had a job as an IT manager for a local business over a summer between college semesters. Will it be worth it to attempt to take out MORE loans to go back to school to get a second bachelors in networking/IT in a gamble to pay off my current loans?

Would the oil fields in North Dakota be a better option?

Some form of bankruptcy?

Can't leave the country, parents cosigned (obviously).

Dad makes ~$140,000 per year (UPDATE: Actually ~$200,000 per year) as a biochemist but due to poor financial choices by himself and other members of the family we are barely getting by (EX. didn't have enough money to repair a stove burner that broke last week). He and I are the only forms of income for the family. Loan companies have no sympathy because of his salary, I.E. "Why can't your cosigner pay?" and an extra $1,300 a month on him would force us out of our house/cars might be repossessed etc.

I feel as though I am now responsible for the well being of an upper-middle class family of 5 including my 12 year old and 17 year old sisters at the age of 22, directly out of college, with a worthless degree and no work experience, due to a combination of my adolescent stupidity and their financial stupidity/belief in my dreams. I'm willing to do whatever I need to now to try to salvage the situation but am stuck in a rut and have no clue what to do next.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Mom went $60,000 into credit card debt by repeatedly opening cards, maxing them out, and never paying them back. When collectors began to make threats dad bailed her out with a $60,000 private loan.

Dad took $300k out of his 401k to put a massive down payment on our new house in California, which we moved to from Pennsylvania (hence the Penn State connection) in November as he was unemployed for two years after a site shutdown, and finally found this job here in CA. This extra $300k was noticed by the IRS and they demanded $70,000 immediately with no payment plans available.
Dad spends lots of money on the house considering every dollar put into the value of the house a "good investment." We purchased $10,000 worth of tile flooring a few months back because the cat peed on the carpet and he couldn't stand the smell which would not come out.

Between these things and the general cost of food + car insurance (he pays mine as well) + other living expenses + his assistance on my $1,300 per month loan before we put it into forbearance, at the moment we are barely scraping by on a 200k per year salary. He always complains that as soon as he receives a paycheck it is immediately gone and we barely have enough left for food.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I was going to highlight some things, but I ended up highlighting literally 99% of the post.

This might legitimately be the worst non-bitcoin related financial disaster I've seen. Between his dad, his mom, his loans, interest, and possible ADDITIONAL future loans this is a >million dollar fiasco.

In case people are wondering why he mentioned North Dakota oil fields, this was a two year old post to /r/PF.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2a88ge/200k_in_private_student_loans_for_a_music_degree/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

monster on a stick posted:

In case people are wondering why he mentioned North Dakota oil fields, this was a two year old post to /r/PF.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2a88ge/200k_in_private_student_loans_for_a_music_degree/

Sadly, he never updated.

It would have been the tragic / funny BWM cherry on top if his solution was to go to the oil fields right before the tar sands market began to crash.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

This is one of those "makes me a lil' bit physically ill" stories. There's so many fuckups and the magnitudes are so big that it's just disgusting.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It also probably happens to tens of thousands of Americans a year, many with even more worthless degrees than audio engineering.

Which is pretty funny.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sadly, he never updated.

Yes he did. Click on his username and you'll see he posted a follow-up:

https://www.reddit.com/user/g4tel3ss

quote:

Hey! I haven't been online in forever! Thank you haha and yes I'm doing great now. I took the advice of the people on here and I'm currently enrolled in a community college to get my CCNA and CCNA Security certs and I was just hired doing IT helpdesk for a relatively large business. Things are looking up and I was able to turn things around. How have you been? I know how tough it can be.

Sounds like he is turning his life around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Sadly, he never updated.

It would have been the tragic / funny BWM cherry on top if his solution was to go to the oil fields right before the tar sands market began to crash.

The cherry on top would be the $60,000 pickup truck he would surely end up buying.

• Locked thread