Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of sleeving cards, I've been playing the Ascension: Apprentice Edition and the phone version and have determined that I like deckbuilders. What's worth getting foe Ascension or other games? I know about Dominion, of course, but that looks a little more complex than I'd like (and don't want to risk getting sucked into the vortex of 500-card expansions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of sleeving cards, I've been playing the Ascension: Apprentice Edition and the phone version and have determined that I like deckbuilders. What's worth getting foe Ascension or other games? I know about Dominion, of course, but that looks a little more complex than I'd like (and don't want to risk getting sucked into the vortex of 500-card expansions).

You might enjoy Race for the Galaxy. It's not technically a deck builder, but it's very similar and has the same ease of just being one big deck of cards that everyone plays from like Ascention

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Nah, you want Dominion, trust me. It's the original and it's the best.

I've gotten one play of Legendary Encounters: Alien through with my girlfriend and we loved it, so if you like the idea of a co-op survival deckbuilder, do check it out.

Other people in the thread will recommend Valley of the Kings and [/b]Eminent Domain[/b] probably.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I actually have Race for solo play since it had a lot of recommendation.

Really shouldn't have bought the second and third expansions, though.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

How can you play Ascension and then decide that Dominion is too complex?

Like, almost every other deck builder is just adding bells and whistles to the Dominion base.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dominion is incredibly simple and designed in such a way to eliminate as much potential confusion as possible. Every turn is ABCD, Action(s), Buy(s), Cleanup, Draw. Not much more to it, especially with Base where most if not all cards are pretty self-explanatory.

Definitely recommend it if you have any interest at all in deckbuilders.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

Like, almost every other deck builder is just adding bells and whistles to the Dominion base.

No true. Most of them also remove important safety features like limited amount of buys and action.

It still remains to be seen if Dominion would make a better phone game than Star Realms though, because the randomness of the market row increases replayability against AIs. We may never know though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

I haven't played Dominion, I've just gone on BGG and read the instructions. Admittedly I checked out the "combined rules" that has everything, so I probably scared myself off by doing that.

Mainly I don't want a game that's going to balloon.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The way kingdoms are laid out in dominion means that essentially every time you play there's a very rules-learning phase as you figure out what each card does. Then it's off to the races.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't played Dominion, I've just gone on BGG and read the instructions. Admittedly I checked out the "combined rules" that has everything, so I probably scared myself off by doing that.

Mainly I don't want a game that's going to balloon.

Dominion is only as complex as the cards that get selected, since you only choose ten cards to play with each game out of however many expansions you have. Honestly, the cards are pretty straightforward through Prosperity (skipping Alchemy), card interactions don't get too crazy until Hinterlands. What we're all saying in other words is get Dominion if you like deckbuilding, it's still the best pure deckbuilder out there.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BonHair posted:

No true. Most of them also remove important safety features like limited amount of buys and action.

It still remains to be seen if Dominion would make a better phone game than Star Realms though, because the randomness of the market row increases replayability against AIs. We may never know though.

Androminion has been on phones a long time and it is still replayable, even with AI that likes to buy Rats without any way to leverage them.

Star realms is just frustrating no matter what. That random market row is super awful with the massive amount of variance of how good a card is in the game.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Impermanent posted:

The way kingdoms are laid out in dominion means that essentially every time you play there's a very rules-learning phase as you figure out what each card does. Then it's off to the races.

In market row deckbuilders you have the same thing. since you need to read the first six or whatever cards that are initially available and figure out what they do. The difference is that in market row games, you then need to parse a new card every turn, while keeping in mind what the previous cards all do, which are no longer face-up in the market available to be reread at any time.

Until you get to Hinterlands/Dark Ages/Adventures, Dominion is by far the simplest deckbuilder in terms of rules. Even with the later expansions I can't really say it's any harder to learn to play than Ascension. (It's ultimately harder to play well, but that's because it has actual strategic depth, which is a good thing.)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Plus you can have a good time with a base set or intrigue. One or two expansions will keep you busy for a long time

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Idk maybe its that I've spent too much time playing the expansions but core-only Dominion (almost said Netrunner) is a little dull to me once you've figured out the basics. Once you get some expansions going then it's a lot more interesting since there's more variety to the core strategies- there's lots of engine-type strategies but Villiage/Vault and Hamlet/Menagerie play totally different from each other.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The only flaw Dominion has when compared to something like Valley of the Kings is that it takes longer to set up and tear down. (Also Valley of the Kings does a better job of introducing newbies to Why Trashing Is Important.)

edit: and yeah once you've played played expansion dominion you do not go back to just base. It just isn't the same. I never take dominion back home for the holidays because all I can fit in a small space is the base game and I don't want to play that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sleevetalk:

I have been very happy with just the KMC Perfect Fits. They are used for 'inner sleeves', but using them as the only sleeve is pretty a-ok. They're like ~3c each though, but drat do they fit really well and also don't add a bunch of bulk like normal sleeves do.

KMC perfects + hyper matte is probably how you can hermetically seal your cards if you are worried about actual air circulating over your deckbuilder cards or something!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GOONY POST APPROACHING

I feel like Perfect Fits are slippery in my gross sweaty hands and I just don't like holding onto a hand full of 'em for very long. the Hypermattes feel PERFECTO. The Hypermatter Blacks are a little more flexible than the Clears, so they are a little easier to shuffle without the corners constantly pwning your hands

edit: also I don't like the glare on the perfect fits. I have my AGoT cards sleeved in hypermattes but the double-sided house/banner cards are in perfect fits and I'm literally BLINDED by the perfect fits sometimes if I'm playing underneath an overhead light, i'm almost 100% certain that all of my game losses have been due to that

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 3, 2015

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
How easy is riffle shuffling (I know, I know) with Perfect Fits? I want to sleeve my cards but I also love to riffle shuffle.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

StashAugustine posted:

Idk maybe its that I've spent too much time playing the expansions but core-only Dominion (almost said Netrunner) is a little dull to me once you've figured out the basics. Once you get some expansions going then it's a lot more interesting since there's more variety to the core strategies- there's lots of engine-type strategies but Villiage/Vault and Hamlet/Menagerie play totally different from each other.

I'll agree base-only Dominion is pretty bland once you've played with expansions, but I think even a single expansion is enough to spice it up. I had just base/Intrigue/Seaside for almost five years before I finally caved and started picking up more expansions, and I'll still happily play with just those sets.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

GOONY POST APPROACHING

I feel like Perfect Fits are slippery in my gross sweaty hands and I just don't like holding onto a hand full of 'em for very long. the Hypermattes feel PERFECTO. The Hypermatter Blacks are a little more flexible than the Clears, so they are a little easier to shuffle without the corners constantly pwning your hands

edit: also I don't like the glare on the perfect fits. I have my AGoT cards sleeved in hypermattes but the double-sided house/banner cards are in perfect fits and I'm literally BLINDED by the perfect fits sometimes if I'm playing underneath an overhead light, i'm almost 100% certain that all of my game losses have been due to that

Hypermatte is the good poo poo, accept no substitutes

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I also like the KMC perfect fits and they are what I used to sleeve my copy of Legendary Encounters: Predator. The extra border of most other sleeves annoys me, although I've gotten used to my Mage Knight cards being sleeved by the FFG sleeves. I really dislike the little sticker on all Ultra Pro sleeves.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
While we're talking about Dominion expansions, is there any guide on which ones are the best?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

memy posted:

While we're talking about Dominion expansions, is there any guide on which ones are the best?

Puzzle Strike.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

memy posted:

Haven't played Adventures, but the best buying order is:

Base -> Intrigue -> Prosperity -> Hinterlands -> Seaside -> Guilds -> Cornucopia -> Dark Ages -> Alchemy

All of the promos are cool and good except Black Market.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Puzzle Strike.

Yesss

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Is the Terra Mystica expac a good addition? I'm looking for an Xmas gift for friends who own the base game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

memy posted:

Adventures
Dark Ages
Prosperity

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

memy posted:

There isn't a strong consensus that I'm aware of. The only constant is that pretty much everyone loves Prosperity and hates Alchemy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I did my copy of Legendary Encounters Alien with Mayday Slightly more than a penny sleeves. Really nice quality and fit. Strikes a good balance for something that gets shuffled a lot.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I feel like laughing. Who is the worst board game reviewer on YouTube?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is this one guy that wears like tuxedo gloves or something while playing and it's creepy as hell. Calandale reviews are entertaining but a little NMS IMO

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MrDru posted:

Rutibex's avatar.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Millions posted:

Is the Terra Mystica expac a good addition? I'm looking for an Xmas gift for friends who own the base game.

If they like the base game, then yes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
xpac adds highly necessary way to auction off races and more poorly-tested, imabalanced races (But your friends are probably used to this.) It's great for people who like Terra Mystica and waiting forever for stickers to fix an imbalanced game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The variable network bonus and player turn order also own. Variable turn order is the best

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Blood Rage is viewed pretty favourably here, yes? I have Chaos in the Old World and Kemet but am trying to assess if this is as good as either or just redundant. Thoughts? It looks good and I'm probably ready for something similar but different to Chaos assuming it's relatively balanced and not too heavy on the randomness.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Blamestorm posted:

Blood Rage is viewed pretty favourably here, yes? I have Chaos in the Old World and Kemet but am trying to assess if this is as good as either or just redundant. Thoughts? It looks good and I'm probably ready for something similar but different to Chaos assuming it's relatively balanced and not too heavy on the randomness.

Biggest issue was really that it was a CMON kickstarter with a bunch of exclusive bullshit. It's a very good game and the KS stuff was not all that critical.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Yeah I'm trying not to be captured by the hype this time (eg BGG gushing). The play time of 90ish minutes is something that is encouraging, so I don't have to choose between playing it and Forbidden Stars if I get it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

MrDru posted:

Lichtenstein posted:

If you thought Tom Vasel is insufferable, check out these paragons of tabletop entertainment coverage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsmx6D1IXpE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Impermanent posted:

xpac adds highly necessary way to auction off races and more poorly-tested, imabalanced races (But your friends are probably used to this.) It's great for people who like Terra Mystica and waiting forever for stickers to fix an imbalanced game.
Guy I know won by 40 points over playing engineers. Without building a fortress. And paying 5 points on the auction for them.

The imbalance of Terra Mystica is highly exaggerated