Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

illcendiary posted:

Hey guys, got some questions for you.

For the last two or three years (poor college student) my audio setup has been an old rig that my parents bought when we built a house 15 years ago. It is an Onkyo TX-SV313Pro receiver with two Sony SSU6030 floor speakers. The equipment, as I understand it, was pretty solid at the time of purchase (1994), and it has served me well up until this point.

My parents are in town this weekend, and last night my dad bought some audio equipment off some dude in a van. It is a Paramax P-510 system, and I am more than sure it is a piece of garbage (I'm really glad my dad only paid $100).

With that having been said, would I be better off using this garbage system, or the old Onkyo system? The Onkyo setup is kinda broken (one of my friends dropped the receiver, and the motor that turns the volume knob no longer works, so I can only raise the volume manually), and the P-510 at least works with a remote.

Or, even better, what's a good receiver that I can save up for and buy? I'm intriuged by the Emotiva ERM-1's that got linked to earlier in the thread, but they are low-impedance and I'm pretty sure my receiver is 8-ohm minimum (maybe 6, not sure). I'm looking to buy two ERM-1's, a nice sub, and a receiver eventually. What are my options?

If it matters, my audio sources are a Directv receiver, an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a computer. Thanks for the help.

I know your dad just got duped and I shouldn't be rubbing it in, but the Amazon reviews for that hunk of poo poo are loving priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

fahrvergnugen posted:

I know your dad just got duped and I shouldn't be rubbing it in, but the Amazon reviews for that hunk of poo poo are loving priceless.

Ugh, just broke the news to my dad. That was a painful conversation. We're not in horrible financial straits or anything so the $100 lost isn't a big deal, but he was trying to do something nice for me and now I feel bad :(

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well, you've got to hunt down the actual cause. First, move the speakers to a different room, plug them in, turn them all the way up, and see how much noise you get. If it's the same, the system's amplifiers are crap and there's nothing you can do except replace them. If there is less noise, place them back where they were but don't plug them into the computer. Turn them on, check for noise as before. If you get the noise problem now, there's something that's interfering. Turn off and unplug components individually until you hunt down the problem. You may have something nearby that's not magnetically shielded that is causing interference, or even running speaker cables together with power cables can introduce noise. If there still isn't a noise problem, plug the speakers back into the computer and check for noise. If there is, the sound card in your PC is crap and needs to be replaced. If you're using a laptop, look for an inexpensive USB interface to bypass the laptop's soundcard. If it's a desktop, considering purchasing a soundcard. If, for some reason, simply moving the speakers around has somehow eliminated the noise problem, then rejoice, because you're lucky and the fix only cost you a little bit of time.

Ok I disconnected the speakers and subwoofer and took them into another room, connected them all up and turned them on at the mains. As soon as I did the subwoofer started humming/buzzing. Then when I actually turned the unit on, the two speakers started hissing, along with the subwoofer that continued humming. I disconnected them all again and took them downstairs to try in yet another room and got the same problem again.

So thanks for the help, I've at least now identified that they need replacing, which sucks rear end but now I know that they're the problem I'm reassured.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Ok I disconnected the speakers and subwoofer and took them into another room, connected them all up and turned them on at the mains. As soon as I did the subwoofer started humming/buzzing. Then when I actually turned the unit on, the two speakers started hissing, along with the subwoofer that continued humming. I disconnected them all again and took them downstairs to try in yet another room and got the same problem again.

So thanks for the help, I've at least now identified that they need replacing, which sucks rear end but now I know that they're the problem I'm reassured.

Probably, but not necessarily. Might try them on a surge suppressor, a UPS, or a power cleaner first.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006

fahrvergnugen posted:

Yes. Whether that's "Yes Yes Yes" or "A thousand times yes" depends on how many speakers you have. If you have 5 speakers & a sub, then by all means.

With your RCA 2-channel setup, you're getting 2 channels of audio, and your receiver's munging it out into 5.1 with 80's technology called Dolby ProLogic.

With optical, you're getting 6 separate channels of audio, one for each speaker. They're all different. The separation & clarity are night & day.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I have a 5.1 system with the 5 speaker sub setup. I thought it sounded good through RCA but I just got the optical cables through monoprice and I'm looking forward to watching some blu ray movies with real surround.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

fahrvergnugen posted:

Probably, but not necessarily. Might try them on a surge suppressor, a UPS, or a power cleaner first.

The hissing is probably coming from a crappy amplifier with a poor S/N ratio. No amount of filtration will fix that.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

The hissing is probably coming from a crappy amplifier with a poor S/N ratio. No amount of filtration will fix that.

Thus the "probably but not necessarily."

Gnatmano
Feb 8, 2006

ugh
Does anyone know of a small capacity flash MP3 player that has decent sound quality and longevity? I'd be mostly using cheap earbuds. Optimally, I'd like to use it with an amp and my Grado SR-225s while at home, because my computer's motherboard causes mad interference and I don't have a modern stereo system.
edit: nvm ordered a refurbished flash Zune instead of a thumbdrive style mp3 player

Gnatmano fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 7, 2009

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Has anyone tried the ZVOX soundbar series?
http://www.zvoxaudio.com/

It looks like exactly what I need, where I am using the TV as a switching board, and I don't want to setup a real surround system with wires to the back of the room. Most reviews speak very positively about it (for the price of course - they are all in the $300-$500 range).

I am just deciding between ZVOX 325 and 550 at this point, and was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these units.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

illcendiary posted:

My parents are in town this weekend, and last night my dad bought some audio equipment off some dude in a van. It is a Paramax P-510 system, and I am more than sure it is a piece of garbage (I'm really glad my dad only paid $100).
holy poo poo people are STILL doing this? my roommate freshman year got sucked by this poo poo 8 years ago

actually this shouldnt' be so surprising. people have been greedy suckers since time immemorial - why should they change in the last decade?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
edit: I'll just make a new thread

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
I have 2 computers and 1 set of speakers.

what's the best way to get both computers into the same set of speakers? I tried a splitter but apparently that only works to split the other way around like putting 2 sets of headphones on an ipod or whatever. Unless I bought the wrong kind of splitter in which case can someone point me in the right direction?

and I mean simultaneously, not like with an a/b switch. Gotta be able to watch TV on the left and play WoW on the right and all that.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Expiration Date posted:

what's the best way to get both computers into the same set of speakers? I tried a splitter but apparently that only works to split the other way around like putting 2 sets of headphones on an ipod or whatever. Unless I bought the wrong kind of splitter in which case can someone point me in the right direction?

and I mean simultaneously, not like with an a/b switch. Gotta be able to watch TV on the left and play WoW on the right and all that.
You need the other type of splitter. Buy this, plug it into your speaker system's input, connect each of the the ends to a computer using a 3.5mm male-to-male cable. I'm assuming you're using computer speakers with a single 3.5mm stereo input.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Dominoes posted:

You need the other type of splitter. Buy this, plug it into your speaker system's input, connect each of the the ends to a computer using a 3.5mm male-to-male cable. I'm assuming you're using computer speakers with a single 3.5mm stereo input.

I dont think this will work...

You would basically be sending the speaker a double input, how exactly will it play both at once??

That thing is meant to duplicate a signal, not consolidate two DIFFERENT signals into one.

this should do the job
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112&cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2
X2

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I really already have a solution to this problem, but it is just so bizarre that I have no idea what could be causing it. I have a desktop with some 3.5mm jacks on the case connected to some sort of header for the onboard sound card on the motherboard, a gigabyte ed45-ud3p if it matters. If I plug any headphones into them, there is no noticeable noise, except whenever I scroll up or down with either the scroll wheel in Firefox (and to a lesser extent in other programs). When I do there is this staticy buzzing noice for the length of the scroll. If I click on the little scroll thing and move it up and down really quickly the sound turns into a constant static tearing noise. This doesn't happen on any of the built in jacks(same card), or with any other sound card. I have no idea what about scrolling in either win7 or vista (this has happened one two installations) could cause a buzzing sound, but I'd very much like to know.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That is an interesting little issue. It's not too uncommon to have noise issues with on-board sound, but to only have it when you're using the mouse to scroll up and down? Definitely odd.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

That is an interesting little issue. It's not too uncommon to have noise issues with on-board sound, but to only have it when you're using the mouse to scroll up and down? Definitely odd.

I had that on an old motherboard once. Must have run the USB traces next to the sound card. Maybe try different a couple different USB ports?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

sangnom posted:

I really already have a solution to this problem, but it is just so bizarre that I have no idea what could be causing it. I have a desktop with some 3.5mm jacks on the case connected to some sort of header for the onboard sound card on the motherboard, a gigabyte ed45-ud3p if it matters. If I plug any headphones into them, there is no noticeable noise, except whenever I scroll up or down with either the scroll wheel in Firefox (and to a lesser extent in other programs). When I do there is this staticy buzzing noice for the length of the scroll. If I click on the little scroll thing and move it up and down really quickly the sound turns into a constant static tearing noise. This doesn't happen on any of the built in jacks(same card), or with any other sound card. I have no idea what about scrolling in either win7 or vista (this has happened one two installations) could cause a buzzing sound, but I'd very much like to know.

Try muting everything except your wave output and master volume.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Expiration Date posted:

I don't think what you want to do is a good idea. If you use a simple splitter, the output of one sound card would be coupled not only to the speakers, but to the output of the other sound card. Outputs are not designed to accept much voltage, so you might blow your one (or both) of your sound cards.
I would go with a two-way switch.

sangnom posted:

(Noise when scrolling)
I have the same issue with my laptop. I've always chalked it up to the graphics card being poorly separated from the sound circuits.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 12, 2009

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
New apartment, second level, people living above and below us complaining about what minimal bass we have playing (it's barely audible by my standards). Anyone have any tips? I'm not pleased with not being able to so much as play Rock Band at 2 pm because god knows when the neighbor downstairs leaves her house.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

vanov posted:

New apartment, second level, people living above and below us complaining about what minimal bass we have playing (it's barely audible by my standards). Anyone have any tips? I'm not pleased with not being able to so much as play Rock Band at 2 pm because god knows when the neighbor downstairs leaves her house.

Many have had success with these underneath the sub: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AURGRAMMA

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

BattleHork posted:

Many have had success with these underneath the sub: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AURGRAMMA

If it's Rock Band that's disturbing your neighbors it's more than likely the bass pedal that they're complaining about.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

vanov posted:

Anyone have any tips? I'm not pleased with not being able to so much as play Rock Band at 2 pm because god knows when the neighbor downstairs leaves her house.

2 pm? Ask your landlord about any sound restrictions in the lease, and if what you're doing doesn't violate them then gently caress your neighbors.

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm looking to get a pair of portable USB-powered speakers to carry around with my laptop, making it easier to watch movies on the go! I saw these on Amazon and Newegg (they were well rated) and thought they could be pretty nice: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970155-0403-Notebook-Speakers-Black/dp/B0009WKBGC/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255620621&sr=1-24

But I'm not sure if there are maybe some more obscure brands out there that might be better sounding or perhaps cheaper for the same quality. Anyone know of any other decent USB powered speakers?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Thanks guys, gonna pick one of those pads and if she still complains I'll just talk to the landlord and be like "well I spent $50 to fix this problem, I can't help that she has whale ears."

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

johndis posted:

I'm looking to get a pair of portable USB-powered speakers to carry around with my laptop, making it easier to watch movies on the go! I saw these on Amazon and Newegg (they were well rated) and thought they could be pretty nice: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970155-0403-Notebook-Speakers-Black/dp/B0009WKBGC/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255620621&sr=1-24

But I'm not sure if there are maybe some more obscure brands out there that might be better sounding or perhaps cheaper for the same quality. Anyone know of any other decent USB powered speakers?

Just curious, but why these instead of headphones?

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Suqit posted:

Just curious, but why these instead of headphones?

So my girlfriend can hear, too! I guess I don't really mean "on the go" as in while traveling, but rather when I'm visiting some place (mostly her place) and I don't feel like wasting a DVD/don't have any DVDs on me. Basically so I can turn my laptop into a little TV/media center kinda thing! The speakers already in it just don't cut it at all :smith:

ace22b
Jan 3, 2006
Are there any issues with using XLR to RCA cable for a subwoofer? My receiver only has RCA pre-outs.

Or should I just get RCA-RCA cable?

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ace22b posted:

Are there any issues with using XLR to RCA cable for a subwoofer? My receiver only has RCA pre-outs.

Or should I just get RCA-RCA cable?
Yeah, it'll be fine! The only way there could be an issue is if you were connecting RCA line-level to XLR mic-level. XLR are typically used for mic level things, which is why you might be concerned, but I can't imagine a subwoofer would have anything other than line level inputs!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

johndis posted:

Yeah, it'll be fine! The only way there could be an issue is if you were connecting RCA line-level to XLR mic-level. XLR are typically used for mic level things, which is why you might be concerned, but I can't imagine a subwoofer would have anything other than line level inputs!
Another issue when dealing with XLR is that it's usually used for balanced signals. I'm not sure how the adapter would wire it, or why a sub is using it in the first place. Usually you'd use something like a direct box, but that has no application here.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 23, 2009

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dominoes posted:

I'm not sure how the adapter would wire it

The adapter sends the single-ended signal to 1 pin of the balanced connector, then connects the other pin to the ground.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Can anyone give me a reason not to get a Pioneer VSX 1019AH-K? I'm going to plugging in 360/ps3/wii/Cable box via HDMI/component, running 5.1 for now, 7.1 in the future. It seems like a really good receiver in the price range, and the ipod connectivity is a bonus. I just really like to shop around and be sure I'm getting a good deal.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
nevermind

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 26, 2009

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Expiration Date posted:

Others explained why Y-splitters aren't suitable. I think there's pretty much two ways to do this. You can buy a mixer to combine the signals or you can connect the secondary PC to the line-in of the primary, but this may cause slight reduction in audio quality.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Others explained why Y-splitters aren't suitable. I think there's pretty much two ways to do this. You can buy a mixer to combine the signals or you can connect the secondary PC to the line-in of the primary, but this may cause slight reduction in audio quality.

If you have one computer that's always on, or the primary, just run from the secondary's line-out to the primary's line-in, and hook the speakers up directly to the primary. Every version of Windows release in the last 14 years has a built-in software mixer.

This is what I do for my current rig, works like a charm.

Big Fat Duck
Oct 17, 2006

I have laptop outputting to a TV over hdmi. i have some hd555's connected to the headphone out on the TV. what volume should i set windows and the tv on to get the best sound quality on my headphones? i know that you're supposed to set windows volume to max if you are outputting to an amp then headphones but in this case im using HDMI so i dont know if its different

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Big Fat Duck posted:

I have laptop outputting to a TV over hdmi. i have some hd555's connected to the headphone out on the TV. what volume should i set windows and the tv on to get the best sound quality on my headphones? i know that you're supposed to set windows volume to max if you are outputting to an amp then headphones but in this case im using HDMI so i dont know if its different

The volume on the PC probably doesn't control anything over HDMI, so it probably doesn't matter. Test it and see if it does? Also, generally with an analog out (like you were saying, the soundcard to an amp), if I'm using a powered out for a line source, I wouldn't want the volume at 100%, something more like 80%.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Not sure if this belongs here...

My receiver has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output, but it doesn't throughput unless its turned on. I don't always want to necessarily have my receiver turned on when I'm watching things. Short of buying a better receiver, what are my options? HDMI splitters? Switches? Hubs?

edit-
Might be answering my own question here

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=6

Do my 3 HDMI devices into this, HDMI out to TV, digital audio to receiver. Yes?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 28, 2009

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Not sure if this belongs here...

My receiver has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output, but it doesn't throughput unless its turned on. I don't always want to necessarily have my receiver turned on when I'm watching things. Short of buying a better receiver, what are my options? HDMI splitters? Switches? Hubs?

edit-
Might be answering my own question here

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=6

Do my 3 HDMI devices into this, HDMI out to TV, digital audio to receiver. Yes?

Digital audio on its own cable won't be as good when coming from blu-ray/ps3 as audio from an hdmi cable would be. Otherwise, yeah. Should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
My 70 year old grandmother just bought a beautiful 52" tv and decided to pick up an amp to drive her subwoofer, but instead of getting what she needed she picked up a PylePro PZR6XA 2200W DJ amplifier. The thing is a sexy beast (the amp!), but useless with her 200w sub. Is there anything we can use it for that won't blow the roof off her duplex or make her ears bleed while listening to Fox News at 2200 watts?