Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pukestain Pal posted:

How do you drive around aimlessly looking for birds? I've always wondered how that works...

You don't drive around looking for birds?

So, who's excited about the new Sibleys?

e: ack new page

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

e: ack new page

fuuuuck my sibley is out of data now?

:smith:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Mr. Despair posted:

fuuuuck my sibley is out of data now?

:smith:

I wouldn't worry about it. The birds haven' changed much ;)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

One more from Yellowstone. Again, no idea.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Grey Jay

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

23 days until my pre-order arrives!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pukestain Pal posted:

How do you drive around aimlessly looking for birds? I've always wondered how that works...
It's not aimless driving. I drive to where there are a bunch of owls, then drive in that area around the time they tend to come out. For Short-eared Owls that means 4 hours of driving to get there and 4 hours back, plus lots of driving in a roughly 20km x 20km grid in that area. It's all farm fields, so you need to scan fields for the birds hunting and scan all the poles for when they eat or rest. Short-eared Owls are quite easy to spot flying if you know where to look.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kenshin posted:

So it looks like I'm flying to Panama City, Panama on a whim in two weeks.

Anyone been down there for birding? Any quick tips?

I was down there a few years ago. Not sure if you will have a car or not but gamboa http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/sets/72157627033725336/ (maybe 30 minutes outside the city) had some great birding. Did not spend anytime in Panama city really.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. The birds haven' changed much ;)

No, although looking at the new edition it seems like a pretty useful upgrade. Bigger, higher quality pictures, updated maps, etc. Pretty nifty.

Everyone should own a Sibley guide to birds.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
A few pictures from the Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing, CA.

Juvenile Pacific Loon

02171001 by arkottke, on Flickr

Western Grebe

02171002 by arkottke, on Flickr

Western Gull

02171015 by arkottke, on Flickr

Marbled Godwit

02171042 by arkottke, on Flickr

Snowy Egret

02171047 by arkottke, on Flickr

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Went for a walk through Reifel Migratory Bird sanctuary on Saturday, with my new camera body, trying to force myself to use manual exposure. There were more wood ducks there than I've ever seen in one place, and they were quite happy using the feeders. Can't wait to go back when there's better light, it was heavily overcast.

Sandhill stare by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Formation flying by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Wood duck pair by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Female Wood Duck by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not a picture but some of you may get a kick our of this... http://wgntv.com/2014/02/15/harsh-winter-brings-sea-ducks-to-chicago-area/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

accipter posted:

A few pictures from the Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing, CA.

That area is awesome, as are your shots.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Got a couple shots of a sapsucker that was flying around the other morning:

DSC_0152s by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

OK, a question: up until now I haven't been using a flash for bird photography. I've been looking around and quite a few people seem to recommend it, and I can definitely see the difference in their photos. That said, I can imagine it being fairly disturbing for the birds, more so that just having a human wandering around a few feet from them. Do you guys use a flash? If so, do you use a magnifier with it like a Better Beamer? I'm not planning to go and blind owls at night or anything, just thinking about general bird photography. I figure that birds must at least be able to cope with direct sunflash reflections from water so there shouldn't be any permanent physiological damage, just wondering what the general thinking is.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I use flash occasionally but I try not to if at all possible. Some species don't care about it at all and some wig the gently caress out. The worst harm you can do with a flash is stressing the birds a bit so you should avoid it unless you can be pretty sure it won't disturb them but its not like its going to permanently blind them or anything. That said, flash can certainly make your photos better if its used well. I've found that I don't really use my Beamer all that much because when I do use flash its generally for songbirds in shady forested spots and I don't really need the extra reach with my flash. When I do use it, it's mostly for waterfowl or more distant raptors when the light's bad. I have been fiddling around with the idea of setting up remote flashes for hides but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The local park is full of noisy, horny Anna's Hummingbirds now. One male let me get fairly close while he was putting on a display.

annas-display-front by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

annas-display-rear by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Northern Harrier patrolling for waterfowl

Harrier Swooping by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Crab for lunch

gull-with-crab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

White-tailed Kite pulling into a dive

diving-kite-evening by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I'm really liking this. If there's enough resolution/detail, I'd love to see a crop without the fence in it.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 22, 2014

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Moon Potato posted:

I'm really liking this. If there's enough resolution/detail, I'd love to see a crop without the fence in it.

Thanks! I took a couple of stabs at it, although it's getting near the limit of detail (and my abilities with Photoshop).

wood_duck_pair square by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

wood_duck_pair2 by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

The local park is full of noisy, horny Anna's Hummingbirds now. One male let me get fairly close while he was putting on a display.

annas-display-front by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

annas-display-rear by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Those are great. I know what I am going to be doing tomorrow morning. Hopefully my little 300mm has enough reach.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

One Swell Foop posted:

Thanks! I took a couple of stabs at it, although it's getting near the limit of detail (and my abilities with Photoshop).

wood_duck_pair square by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

First one. Really good stuff.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

First one. Really good stuff.

I agree, that is a fantastic photo. That's like National Geographic Cover level. No, seriously, crop it so it's a wrap-around cover holding in half between their heads.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kenshin posted:

I agree, that is a fantastic photo. That's like National Geographic Cover level. No, seriously, crop it so it's a wrap-around cover holding in half between their heads.

I'd tighten it just a touch more to cut out the legs. Either way it's a great shot now that the distracting stuff is gone.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Beautiful!

accipter posted:

Those are great. I know what I am going to be doing tomorrow morning. Hopefully my little 300mm has enough reach.
Thanks. My shots were fairly heavy crops from a 600mm on a full frame sensor, so you'll probably have to be a bit more patient/stealthy/lucky than I was.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback, folks. I've never had any formal or classroom training in photography (although I'm definitely thinking about it) so I'm still developing my skills on cropping, shot selection, and photoshop.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
The following are pictures that I took in Uganda. The birding there was absolutely incredible.

Abyssinian Ground Hornbill

09181458360 by arkottke, on Flickr

White-backed and Hooded Vultures

09181458460 by arkottke, on Flickr

Northern Carmine Bee-eater

09181511340 by arkottke, on Flickr1

Northern Carmine Bee-eater

09181546220 by arkottke, on Flickr

09181553100 by arkottke, on Flickr

Red Bishop

09181613140 by arkottke, on Flickr

Black-headed Weaver

09181615240 by arkottke, on Flickr

Black-headed Weaver

09181617040 by arkottke, on Flickr

Black-headed Weaver

09181620100 by arkottke, on Flickr

Crown Crane

09181634020 by arkottke, on Flickr

Bustard

09181723320 by arkottke, on Flickr

Goliath Heron

09182154040 by arkottke, on Flickr

Red-throated Bee-eater

09190007180 by arkottke, on Flickr

Red-throated Bee-eater Colony

09190010500 by arkottke, on Flickr

Marabou Stork

09200052100 by arkottke, on Flickr

Weaver

09201528340 by arkottke, on Flickr

Long-crested Eagle

09201609540 by arkottke, on Flickr

Black-headed Bee-eater

09201843380 by arkottke, on Flickr

Great Blue Turaco

09201845340 by arkottke, on Flickr

Pied Kingfisher

09222154060 by arkottke, on Flickr

Multiple Pied Kingfishers

09222155480 by arkottke, on Flickr

Fish Eagle

09222211520 by arkottke, on Flickr

Egyptian Geese waiting on a baby Hippo

09222214160 by arkottke, on Flickr

Egyptian Geese continuing on

09222214280 by arkottke, on Flickr

Yellow-billed Stork

09222224220 by arkottke, on Flickr

Great White Pelicans

09222251020 by arkottke, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback, folks. I've never had any formal or classroom training in photography (although I'm definitely thinking about it) so I'm still developing my skills on cropping, shot selection, and photoshop.

Honestly, unless you ended up in a pretty special class, you'd probably learn more just posting and reading in the Dorkroom and listening to other's critique. The only thing I remember learning about composition in my (admittedly mediocre community college) photography classes was the rule of thirds.

accipter posted:

The following are pictures that I took in Uganda. The birding there was absolutely incredible.

These are all awesome. It's very strange to see birds like the Crown Crane and Egyptian Goose that I think of as being zoo birds and realizing they actually exist in the wild.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those shots from Uganda are fantastic. I'll hopefully have a similar post in about two weeks once I get back from Panama and have time to process the photos.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

Beautiful!

Thanks. My shots were fairly heavy crops from a 600mm on a full frame sensor, so you'll probably have to be a bit more patient/stealthy/lucky than I was.

My only shot of a hummingbird this morning. If he was kind enough to face the other way it would have been perfect.

02223009-edit by arkottke, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

One Swell Foop posted:

Like BeastOfExmoor said a classroom isn't really going to be that much help, really. I took a photoshop class a while ago and it was somewhat helpful but really the internet is a much better tutor. If you want some bird/wildlife photography specific info, the birdphotography.net forums are a great resource for basic rules and techniques. Its insufferable in a million different ways but people like Art Morris post there and there is no shortage of critical feedback. I learned a lot from the regulars there.

Super jels on that Uganda stuff, accipter. Someday, Africa. Someday. In the meantime, Orange Bishops are included in the new Sibley's (and in the current NatGeo) because of established colonies of escapees in southern California so that's kind of like Africa I guess.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

It's not aimless driving. I drive to where there are a bunch of owls, then drive in that area around the time they tend to come out. For Short-eared Owls that means 4 hours of driving to get there and 4 hours back, plus lots of driving in a roughly 20km x 20km grid in that area. It's all farm fields, so you need to scan fields for the birds hunting and scan all the poles for when they eat or rest. Short-eared Owls are quite easy to spot flying if you know where to look.

I typically go on a Sunday Drive each week, but this week is unusual because I just got back from Manitoba (so the urge to hit the road is sated for a while) and my car is troubled anyway.

That sounds like an over-the-top version of one of my typical drives, as if I did them specifically to look for owls rather than just to drive around and see stuff. Also, good job on the Snowys, I've seen exactly ONE this winter, a female that took off down the road while I was setting up my tripod. I salute you, you crazy ornithologist!

The new Sibley is high on my want list. We'll see how my current budget weirdness works out, but I'm expecting to pick that up in time for spring migration. I hope.

Owns. Cropped or not, great shot.

This thread is probably the best place I've ever been to learn about bird photography, and wildlife photography more generally.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Thanks, man. This thread has definitely inspired me to push myself further in photography, to the point where it's actually a primary hobby now rather than just a thing I do occasionally.

I had a spare hour while my wife was meeting a friend today so went out in inappropriate footwear in the snow at Boundary Bay.

Found this short-eared owl and two harriers hunting in their usual spot. The owl was doing close-range hunting, from the looks of it by ear, and managed to catch a vole under the snow - but the harriers spotted him and harassed him in the air till he dropped the vole (which took about 10 seconds after he took off). One of the harriers caught it in flight. I have a couple of blurry shots but to be honest it was just awesome to watch.

Echoing the appreciation for those Ugandan shots, very well executed.

Norther Harrier in flight by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Short-eared Owl Takeoff in Snow by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Short-eared Owl Targeted Takeoff by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Norther Harrier in Snow by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Short-eared Owl by Chris in Vancouver, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It has been snowing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRiue4fs1Y

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A few female wood ducks have settled in with the resident ducks at Sequoia Park

wood-ducks by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Anna's Hummingbird at Arcata Marsh

annas-perch by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

This Egret sounds as funny as it looks

egret-yell by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The normally reclusive GBH at Arcata Marsh was out fishing in a relatively accessible area

gbh-fish by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

"Hey everyone, I caught a fish!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYj6ThQ8ygw

Very nice shot. The falling snow and lapping waves with the still heron is visual poetry.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 25, 2014

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I love that shot of the Anna's hummingbird.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Same heron that was in the video.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Looking at all the photos, I wish I was half as good as you guys. Keep up the good work.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

accipter posted:

I love that shot of the Anna's hummingbird.

Thanks. If you're in Oakland like your profile says, you should be able to get some good shots once the flowers start blooming. I grew up there and remember the hummingbirds going nuts in my yard when the bottlebrush trees flowered.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

Thanks. If you're in Oakland like your profile says, you should be able to get some good shots once the flowers start blooming. I grew up there and remember the hummingbirds going nuts in my yard when the bottlebrush trees flowered.

I am. I take a walk around SF at lunch and the Anna's are vocalizing all over the place, which is why I was so excited about your pictures.

Edit: Also, we need some Nebraska goons to take pictures of Cranes for this thread.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...=sciencecranes1

accipter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 26, 2014

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
I just recently got a camera after not owning one for like 15 years and found this thread to be hugely inspiring. Most of the shots here have been amazing and I hope I can come close some day. I live near a river and some marshlands and I found out there are over 150 species of birds here so I've been going for walks to see what I can spot. Got some fresh air, learned about the local wild life and took some pictures in the process.

The camera is a NEX7 and I shoot manual lenses only (cheap - I can already see myself investing in something more serious). They are all quite heavily cropped.

This is it so far. Sorry for the photo dump. Click through for bigger.

Ricoh Rikenon 30-70mm

Great Egret

Australian Pelican

Black-winged Stilt

Red Wattlebird

Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7

White-faced Heron

Royal Spoonbill (with white-faced heron looking on)

A few days ago I picked up a Soligor 80-200mm C/D for 20 bucks!

New Holland Honeyeater

Silver Gull

Common Myna

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Dread Head posted:

Same heron that was in the video.

This one is VERY Game of Thrones. It's also a very cool shot!