Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's going to be awesome if at the very end of Last Game Yanagi is like "SIKE!" and dumps her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Late to the mental illness chat, but I think the reason why so few mental illnesses are portrayed in manga and anime is because of the Japanese - and to a lesser extent, the rest of the world - stigma of mental illness. Apparently anti-depressants are a sign of "losing face", since you're supposed deal with depression yourself. There was even a whole documentary about mental illness in Japan.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Isn't there a korean manwha about a girl with a growth disorder and a man with the mind of a child? Cannot remember the name of it for the life of me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Brainamp posted:

Isn't there a korean manwha about a girl with a growth disorder and a man with the mind of a child? Cannot remember the name of it for the life of me.

The Friendly Winter.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Finally, a new chapter of Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha! It's been awhile.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Ytlaya posted:

This is a lot more believable if you just imagine that the girl has autism.

Alder posted:

What I'd give for a manga series w/a character who has a confirmed mental illness :v:

I mean there's already manga series about NEETs so it's not too far off imho. I don't really want pure speculation or just this character's default personality is anti-social but a serious attempt at portraying a person who struggling w/mental illnesses in everyday life.

Yeah I know there's a How-to Guide for parents w/autistic children in manga format but that's not really the same.

Violet_Sky posted:

Late to the mental illness chat, but I think the reason why so few mental illnesses are portrayed in manga and anime is because of the Japanese - and to a lesser extent, the rest of the world - stigma of mental illness. Apparently anti-depressants are a sign of "losing face", since you're supposed deal with depression yourself. There was even a whole documentary about mental illness in Japan.

Umm... I've just been kind of assuming all romance manga characters have some mental disease. Here's the symptoms:

1. Crippling social anxienty to the point that they can barely hold a conversation without getting flustered and collapsing into a nervous, blushing fit.

2. Paralyzing fear of sexual intimacy to the point that it takes 100 chapters to even kiss the person they are ostensibly "dating".

3. Total lack of self-awareness and repression of emotions such that even the realization that they like someone takes 50 chapters of awkward misunderstanding.

4. A level of blindness to love interest's attempts to hit on them that borders on psychosis and a dangerously low comprehension of body language and societal norms.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

organism posted:

Umm... I've just been kind of assuming all romance manga characters have some mental disease. Here's the symptoms:

1. Crippling social anxienty to the point that they can barely hold a conversation without getting flustered and collapsing into a nervous, blushing fit.

2. Paralyzing fear of sexual intimacy to the point that it takes 100 chapters to even kiss the person they are ostensibly "dating".

3. Total lack of self-awareness and repression of emotions such that even the realization that they like someone takes 50 chapters of awkward misunderstanding.

4. A level of blindness to love interest's attempts to hit on them that borders on psychosis and a dangerously low comprehension of body language and societal norms.

I call it "Goon Syndrome", or "Goonitis".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nondevor posted:

Finally, a new chapter of Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha! It's been awhile.
This is good, yes very good. Though short of there being a twist where a different god takes over the shrine there are probably going to be a lot of broken hearts by the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

organism posted:

Yeah, in Last Game this is particularly extreme. There's even a scene where the secondary love interest confesses to the protagonist and has to spend several panels explaining that when he says "I like you" and "I want to be with you" that he's talking about romantic love, and even then it takes her several more panels to comprehend this (and after doing so she nearly has a nervous breakdown).

edit: They try to explain it away as "she never ever watched any movies or anything so she has no idea how relationships work", but she still would have encountered stuff like classmates talking and having to read books for school. Also it's not like humans without access to media have zero sex drive or something.

All this being said, I still like Last Game more than most shoujo mostly because I like the two male leads. Even though the main one is still rich, good-looking, and smart, he turns into a stressed out spaz that is pretty much the opposite of aloof pretty early into the series.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 17, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Takako Shimura with some fuckin' amazing fanart of both Sasameki Koto and Girl Friends
:stwoon::kimchi::stwoon:

Akko what are you doing? lewd

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:3:

Someone really needs to scanlate her new series, I guess there are translations around but screw trying to read a separate translation and the manga, it's not the 90's anymore.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you want a cool shoujo where the couple actually gets together within a few chapters read junjou drop. its really funny. unfortunately, its also only a few chapters long

its also the unoffical dame wa prequel, the artist loving loves herself some meat

Davincie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 17, 2015

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Davincie posted:

if you want a cool shoujo where the couple actually gets together within a few chapters read junjou drop. its really funny. unfortunately, its also only a few chapters long

its also the unoffical dame wa prequel, the artist loving loves herself some meat

This is my favorite thing from Junjou drop.

Pretty much all of Nakahara Aya's work is the tits. I wish someone would finish translating the rest of Love! Love! Love!, but the last update was in 2012, and the last volume itself was published in 1999, so I doubt it'll ever actually get finished.

To talk about some not terrible BL because the name is similar, I read Junjou, and realized halfway through the first chapter that I'd watched the movie based on it a couple months ago (which was about as good as you'd expect a movie based on a BL manga to be). The manga is miles better, still has some problematic cliches, but is overall cute and worth it for the omake imo.

Junjou Romantica on the other hand is terrible.

Edit: Also about Koiiji -- even though there's no edited scans yet of it, it's good and I recommend it.

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 17, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Junjou Drop :3:

Gnossiennes posted:

To talk about some not terrible BL because the name is similar, I read Junjou, and realized halfway through the first chapter that I'd watched the movie based on it a couple months ago (which was about as good as you'd expect a movie based on a BL manga to be). The manga is miles better, still has some problematic cliches, but is overall cute and worth it for the omake imo.

Junjou Romantica on the other hand is terrible.

I haven't read that one but I did read Dear Green by the same author and really liked it. A bunch of stuff that Bliss translated got dumped on Batoto lately and that was one of them.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I love Junjou Drop :3:

I haven't read that one but I did read Dear Green by the same author and really liked it. A bunch of stuff that Bliss translated got dumped on Batoto lately and that was one of them.

This one? I read the first couple chapters of this Dear Green and I thought Yajima & Otoumi's relationship was cool. I would've never known the other existed, so thank you!

According to the group info on Batoto, the group is dead and only allowed rehosting after disbanding. Do a lot of groups keep their translations private like that?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that's the one. I'd read both tbh and get the full story because they're pretty great characters and the other stories in the collection are also nice.

I can appreciate a group maybe wanting to direct people to their site for the ad revenue or whatever, or only permitting uploads to sites that keep their credits intact but groups that squirrel away chapters where you can only download in a private IRC if you're on their approved list or whatever is pretty annoying (edit: not saying Bliss did that, I think they had a reader but their site died IIRC; I just ran across a group that was doing that and decided not to read that manga because only the first 5 chapters were available anywhere outside their IRC). I don't like having to download files from some questionable site either, and really prefer to stick to groups that release openly or at least have their own online reader (or y'know, buy it when it's available).

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 18, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Davincie posted:

Coes it count if 'a few chapters' is still halfway through the entire thing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Gnossiennes posted:

This one? I read the first couple chapters of this Dear Green and I thought Yajima & Otoumi's relationship was cool. I would've never known the other existed, so thank you!

According to the group info on Batoto, the group is dead and only allowed rehosting after disbanding. Do a lot of groups keep their translations private like that?

I think plain old Dear Green was published first, then Hitomi no Ounowa explained how they got together (I'd still say read Hitomi no Ounowa first). I just reread both, it's a really satisfying series.

Unrelated, but it just recently finished being scanlated - Blue Sky Complex is a good shounen ai series, it's one volume and the perspective swaps halfway.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Kusaru posted:

I think plain old Dear Green was published first, then Hitomi no Ounowa explained how they got together (I'd still say read Hitomi no Ounowa first). I just reread both, it's a really satisfying series.

Unrelated, but it just recently finished being scanlated - Blue Sky Complex is a good shounen ai series, it's one volume and the perspective swaps halfway.

Blue Sky Complex is cute as gently caress. Secretly adorable delinquents are kinda my favorite characters, though.

Hidamari ga Kikoeru is another one that's really nice and touching, and is being translated/edited pretty quickly, so it should be fully done soon. I expect it to get angstier, too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Speaking of Dame na Watashi, it just got a new chapter. Her love of meat will never get old for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Uhhhh. What's up with Kissmanga? There's a loading screen, but there's no way I'm letting that finish loading.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some anti-DDoS thing, I've been seeing it on a lot of sites recently.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cloudflare is okay and used by a lot of sites since the ddos poo poo started

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Speaking of Dame na Watashi, it just got a new chapter. Her love of meat will never get old for me.

ahhh I hope this new guy is more or less genuine and doesn't have an angle. I want her to end up with Boss eventually but not by way of another crappy guy taking advantage. She needs to have a nice time but figure out what she really wants (meat).

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 18, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
NEW KURAGEHIME! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kuragehime/Vol-015-Ch-075--Jellyfish-Up-in-the-Tower?id=218818

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Takako Shimura with some fuckin' amazing fanart of both Sasameki Koto and Girl Friends
:stwoon::kimchi::stwoon:

Akko what are you doing? lewd
That's just :3: :kimchi:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm reading Octave again, and going back to it, I'm surprised how bad the first half of the story or so makes Mayashita out to be. Not that she doesn't come to realize it herself, but she comes across as really petty and insecure a lot. Setsuko really does have the patience of a saint to stick with her through all of that, but I'd hate to have the story as girl-meets-girl and then they break up at the end or something. It really is heartwarming Setsuko really does love her that much.

It's also a bit more explicit than I remembered, but the author manages to make it as tasteful as possible, I think.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ive been writing a girl love story. it's titled Octane and it is basically the story of Octave but instead of being musicians the girls are racecar drivers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is one of the girls Asuka?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Holy poo poo, Hanamori :lol:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Octolady posted:

Holy poo poo, Hanamori :lol:

I think I finally know what icon and text I want under my forum name. I WANT LOT OF MONEY

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sylphid posted:

I'm reading Octave again, and going back to it, I'm surprised how bad the first half of the story or so makes Mayashita out to be. Not that she doesn't come to realize it herself, but she comes across as really petty and insecure a lot. Setsuko really does have the patience of a saint to stick with her through all of that, but I'd hate to have the story as girl-meets-girl and then they break up at the end or something. It really is heartwarming Setsuko really does love her that much.

It's also a bit more explicit than I remembered, but the author manages to make it as tasteful as possible, I think.
I've always viewed Octave as being about Miyashita never having a chance to grow up because her idol experiences put the progression of her life on hold. She's a child trying to function as an adult in society.

Setsuko's basically mothering her a bit as needed and Miyashita growing up is what lets them have an actual relationship. I think this is the angle that made me appreciate the story, actually. Starting work that early in your life fucks things up pretty bad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Is one of the girls Asuka?
Dick Spacious, this is an important question that needs answering

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Since it keeps updating at a frequent pace, I glanced at the recent chapters of Domestic na Kanojo and yeah, seriously don't read it unless you love trainwrecks that don't have immediate consequences and all around stupidity.

So instead, here is an update of a good manga, Sangatsu no Lion: http://www.mangachapter.me/1380/sangatsu-no-lion/39.html

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well I did go through the trainwreck that is GE...
It wasn't that bad, and the author handles drama and romance a lot more realistically than most do, which is a plus (even if the works get melodramatic and forced at times).

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

Violet_Sky posted:

Watching anime is a sign of mental illness. :goku:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

HiveCommander posted:

Well I did go through the trainwreck that is GE...
It wasn't that bad, and the author handles drama and romance a lot more realistically than most do, which is a plus (even if the works get melodramatic and forced at times).

GE was something that started out decent, became melodramatic and forced, and then had the decency to end.

Domestica na Kanojo is melodramatic and forced almost each chapter, it's kind of an amazing accomplishment.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Penultimate(!) chapter of Taiyou no Ie

Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still of course maintain that the family drama was always way more interesting than any of the romance parts, but that was decent enough. It also sounds like there might be some bonus/epilogue/wrap-up chapters in store as an extra volume, kind of like what Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun finished with.