Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Epi Lepi posted:

A lot of people think their credit card statements are good enough back up that they don't need to save their receipts.

Depending on what kind of expense it is a credit card statement can be good enough though. IRS asks you to back up meals and entertainment claims? Receipts wouldn't show much if any more info than your credit card statements so no problem. IRS asks you to back up computer expenses? Credit card statements full of Best Buy purchases are harder to get accepted, legit or not.

Correction: you must always be able to demonstrate the business purpose of a meals or entertainment deduction, but if it is under $75 you do not need a receipt - just proof that the expense was paid (ie a credit card statement).

If you think Best Buy is bad, try Costco sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

furushotakeru posted:

Correction: you must always be able to demonstrate the business purpose of a meals or entertainment deduction, but if it is under $75 you do not need a receipt - just proof that the expense was paid (ie a credit card statement).

If you think Best Buy is bad, try Costco sometime.

Good to know! I usually ask for 2 receipts/transactions if there are personal items mixed in. Then again I only buy computer equipment about once every 3 years or so or when something breaks.

So to demonstrate the business purpose of M&E, is that just who you went to dinner with and the general description as to what you talked about as to how it related to your job? Wouldn't a more specific "trying to drum up business" be good enough?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

slap me silly posted:

By IRS, natch, although I'm pretty sure that every time I find this page it has a different style and is at a different URL

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Amount-of-Roth-IRA-Contributions-That-You-Can-Make-For-2013

Awesome, thank you. Looks like I'm good

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Awesome, thank you. Looks like I'm good

Contribution amount limits went up this year from $5000 to $5500 for those who qualify, which is nice. I just wish there wasn't as much of a gap between the AGI cutoff for deducting traditional IRA contributions and the AGI limit for Roth contributions.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
This is almost certainly wrong, but a (less than brilliant) friend of mine tells me "FYI talked with the IRS yesterday your 1098-T is NOT required to file." That can't be right, can it? Because most of my money last year was non-withheld fellowships/grants (I'm a grad student), so only shows up on the 1098-T.

Ugh, grad student taxes are the worst.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

berzerker posted:

This is almost certainly wrong, but a (less than brilliant) friend of mine tells me "FYI talked with the IRS yesterday your 1098-T is NOT required to file." That can't be right, can it? Because most of my money last year was non-withheld fellowships/grants (I'm a grad student), so only shows up on the 1098-T.

Ugh, grad student taxes are the worst.

It might be worth waiting for the form to make sure that what you are reporting agrees with what your school is reporting. Although they don't always match anyhow as 1098-T reports what was billed in the calendar year and you are required to report what you actually paid in the calendar year.

Legally speaking, I believe you can file as long as you have any documents reporting withholding that you are claiming. Since you don't have any withholding, I doubt there is anything technically barring you from filing.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Quick question about itemizing property tax.

In 2012 I paid city and county tax as usual. I also paid the 2011 county property tax late in 3/2012 due to a "misunderstanding" between my wife and I on what had been paid when. Anyway, can I claim all three payments on this year's tax as I paid them all in the 2012 calendar year?

If it matters, I do not pay taxes through my bank mortgage account, I write separate checks annually.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I received my W2 and my state taxes on it are significantly lower than what my last pay stub from the 21st of december shows. What am I supposed to do?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

nowhinezone posted:

Quick question about itemizing property tax.

In 2012 I paid city and county tax as usual. I also paid the 2011 county property tax late in 3/2012 due to a "misunderstanding" between my wife and I on what had been paid when. Anyway, can I claim all three payments on this year's tax as I paid them all in the 2012 calendar year?

If it matters, I do not pay taxes through my bank mortgage account, I write separate checks annually.

Yes. For federal you should claim what was actually paid in that tax year.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Too Poetic posted:

I received my W2 and my state taxes on it are significantly lower than what my last pay stub from the 21st of december shows. What am I supposed to do?

Ask your employer about it

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Furu,

I have a question about reporting financial aid grants.

I'm an older independent full-time student, and only earned like $1000 last year. The University was very generous with the grants:

For Fall 2012
University Grant: 22,955
Pell Grant : 2,775
SEOG: 1375
work study: 1000
Loans: ~6000
=== This is similar for Spring of 2012 and Spring 2013 (idk it says I can account for the first 3 months of 2013, if this is relevant)

So I'm the section of TurboTax where it's asking about my tuition. I said that I paid 0, because loans/grants covered it. Then when I entered my assistance (the above info), my refund shot up by thousands of dollars, which seems a little too good to be true. Should I be entering the cost of tuition where I put zero, even though I didn't pay out of pocket? Or does this seem correct? I got no 1098, either, if that helps.

e: I know the OP says no TurboTax questions, but I think this is more a question about education deductions in general rather than something specific to TT.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 1, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Furu,

I have a question about reporting financial aid grants.

I'm an older independent full-time student, and only earned like $1000 last year. The University was very generous with the grants:

For Fall 2012
University Grant: 22,955
Pell Grant : 2,775
SEOG: 1375
work study: 1000
Loans: ~6000
=== This is similar for Spring of 2012 and Spring 2013 (idk it says I can account for the first 3 months of 2013, if this is relevant)

So I'm the section of TurboTax where it's asking about my tuition. I said that I paid 0, because loans/grants covered it. Then when I entered my assistance (the above info), my refund shot up by thousands of dollars, which seems a little too good to be true. Should I be entering the cost of tuition where I put zero, even though I didn't pay out of pocket? Or does this seem correct? I got no 1098, either, if that helps.

e: I know the OP says no TurboTax questions, but I think this is more a question about education deductions in general rather than something specific to TT.

If you didn't pay any tuition then there is nothing to deduct or count toward the credit. Any scholarship funds you received that are in excess of the cost of tuition and books, is taxable income. The loans are not income however.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

furushotakeru posted:

If you didn't pay any tuition then there is nothing to deduct or count toward the credit. Any scholarship funds you received that are in excess of the cost of tuition and books, is taxable income. The loans are not income however.

Sorry to repost, but I think if I'm reading this right I can apply this to a problem I had posted about earlier:

Shear Modulus posted:

I have a question about grad student stipends. Here's the situation (amounts are fake):

School grants me gift aid of $20000.
School takes out $15000 to pay tuition and fees, and cuts me a check for $5000 for personal expenses (and no W-2).
According to the 1098-T they later give me, the total amount of qualified education expenses was actually $14500.*
Q: Is my taxable income $5000 or $5500?

*: The discrepancy came from two fees they didn't include in their amount: a fee for administrative document costs and a bus pass fee. From my reading of the instructions for form 8863, I can see why the bus pass doesn't count; on page 3 it says "fees for personal expenses are never qualified education expenses," then lists transportation as a personal expense type. The administrative fee, though, I would think would be a qualified educational expense since I was required to pay it to enroll.

I think what you're saying is that any scholarship money above what's spent on qualified education expenses is taxable income, and (applied to my situation) therefore the amount that the school made me spend on stuff they don't think are qualified education expenses is income. Am I interpreting this right?

I asked some fellow students and the general advice I got was to just declare what I had actually been given a check for, but I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and go with the other interpretation since I don't want to unintentionally commit tax fraud over a relatively small amount.

Edit:

VVVVVVVV Thanks!

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 2, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Sorry to repost, but I think if I'm reading this right I can apply this to a problem I had posted about earlier:

I think what you're saying is that any scholarship money above what's spent on qualified education expenses is taxable income, and (applied to my situation) therefore the amount that the school made me spend on stuff they don't think are qualified education expenses is income. Am I interpreting this right?

Yes

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I did not earn any income in a state I lived in until June of 2012, do I need to file my taxes with that state? Probably a dumb question but I just want to be sure.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Earlier in the thread, I asked for help about a 1099-C. I'm pretty sure I can exclude it due to insolvency. My question is do I send along proof of my liabilities when I send Form 982? The only proof I can think of showing my debt is a credit report. Should I get a copy of that and send it along with the other form?

Again, thanks in advance.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I have a Vanguard Roth IRA. I put $5000 in my account in June. I don't have any tax forms from them on their site. I called, and the rep explained that they don't mail until May, so I don't have to file anything from them on my taxes that are due in April.

I remember submitting a form from them on my taxes last year. What's going on?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I live with my SO, and am on her insurance policy at a cost of under $300 per month. I don't meet any the "5 tests of dependency."
I should not file as dependent, right?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Is it even worth considering not claiming the Foreign Earned Income Credit so I can contribute to a Roth IRA? Or would it just end up being a lot of hassle? The FEIC more than covers what I earn in a year.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Never mind; found my answer.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 3, 2013

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I just received my 1099-B for stock sales during 2012. One of the entries lists an incorrect date of acquisition, listing a date in 2012 instead of 2011. Is it worthwhile requesting a revised form, or can I just put the correct date on my taxes and file regardless?

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've tried filling out my taxes through a couple of different free programs and I am having trouble figuring out why I don't qualify for any education tax credits. I think the problem lies in a discrepancy in my 2011 1098-T.

My 2011 1098-T gave about $27K for tuition billed. This included winter semester of 2012 (boxes 2 and 7 were checked). My grants were only $7K so I qualified for the tax credit.

My 2012 1098-T gave $9K for tuition, and $10K in grants. But that $9K is only summer and fall 2012. Because my grants exceed my tuition on my 2012 1098-T, it seems I may not qualify for an education grant this year. But that's because only part of my 2012 tuition was on this--if the $9K that should have been on this year's 1098-T was on it instead of last year's, I'd easily qualify.

So do I qualify or not? The online programs say I don't, but I don't know if that's because I don't actually qualify or because they're dumb. Should I just use the fillable forms the IRS provides? Do I need to revise my 2011 return or something?

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Using taxes.hrblock.com and getting an error with my 1099-B. I use betterment.com for automatic investing and my 1099-B says
IRS Box Item Amount
1a Date of Sale or Exchange Various
1b Date of Acquisition Various
1c Type of Gain or Loss Short-Term
1d Stock or other symbol Various
1e Quantity Sold Various

and so on. But the program barks at me when I put the word Various in 1a for Date of Sale. Looking at the long version of my 1099-B there's many, many, many transactions; should I put the last transaction, which would be 12/31/2012? It also wants a date for date acquired so should this be the earliest transction date?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ATP5G1 posted:

I've tried filling out my taxes through a couple of different free programs and I am having trouble figuring out why I don't qualify for any education tax credits. I think the problem lies in a discrepancy in my 2011 1098-T.

My 2011 1098-T gave about $27K for tuition billed. This included winter semester of 2012 (boxes 2 and 7 were checked). My grants were only $7K so I qualified for the tax credit.

My 2012 1098-T gave $9K for tuition, and $10K in grants. But that $9K is only summer and fall 2012. Because my grants exceed my tuition on my 2012 1098-T, it seems I may not qualify for an education grant this year. But that's because only part of my 2012 tuition was on this--if the $9K that should have been on this year's 1098-T was on it instead of last year's, I'd easily qualify.

So do I qualify or not? The online programs say I don't, but I don't know if that's because I don't actually qualify or because they're dumb. Should I just use the fillable forms the IRS provides? Do I need to revise my 2011 return or something?

You only get to claim a tax credit against any amounts you actually paid during the calendar year. Since you didn't have any out-of-pocket tuition in 2012, you can't claim the tax credits for 2012. You also have to pay income taxes on the extra $1000 in scholarship money.

Edit: Actually, that's not entirely true. That would be the case unless you're applying for the American Opportunity tax credit, and you have extra expenses beyond that $10000 that fall under the American Opportunity tax credit's expanded definition of qualified educational expenses.

sublyme posted:

Using taxes.hrblock.com and getting an error with my 1099-B. I use betterment.com for automatic investing and my 1099-B says
IRS Box Item Amount
1a Date of Sale or Exchange Various
1b Date of Acquisition Various
1c Type of Gain or Loss Short-Term
1d Stock or other symbol Various
1e Quantity Sold Various

and so on. But the program barks at me when I put the word Various in 1a for Date of Sale. Looking at the long version of my 1099-B there's many, many, many transactions; should I put the last transaction, which would be 12/31/2012? It also wants a date for date acquired so should this be the earliest transction date?
Did you buy and sell the same security several times during the year? I'm no day trader but my understanding is that in filling out Form 8949 you have to list every individual date of sale, even for the same security, so your gains can be accurately kept track of. If you take a look at the instructions for Form 8949, on page 3 it says you can use "Various" as the date of purchase, but doesn't say so for date of sale.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 3, 2013

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

You only get to claim a tax credit against any amounts you actually paid during the calendar year. Since you didn't have any out-of-pocket tuition in 2012, you can't claim the tax credits for 2012. You also have to pay income taxes on the extra $1000 in scholarship money.

Edit: Actually, that's not entirely true. That would be the case unless you're applying for the American Opportunity tax credit, and you have extra expenses beyond that $10000 that fall under the American Opportunity tax credit's expanded definition of qualified educational expenses.

But the date of billing for the winter semester $9K is 1/17/2012 . . . Does that make a difference? Ugh, that really burns me up. If my tuition had just been distributed equally I would've qualified. Now I just over-qualified one year and under-qualified the next.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ATP5G1 posted:

But the date of billing for the winter semester $9K is 1/17/2012 . . . Does that make a difference? Ugh, that really burns me up. If my tuition had just been distributed equally I would've qualified. Now I just over-qualified one year and under-qualified the next.

So your date of billing was in 2012 but you paid the bill in 2011? Is the amount reported as amounts paid in box 1 or amounts billed in box 2? My schools always reported stuff in box 1 so I don't have any experience with working with amounts billed, but my understanding is that the important date is the date of payment.

Here's what the instructions say, straight from the horse's mouth:

IRS posted:

Prepaid Expenses
Qualified education expenses paid in 2012 for an academic period that begins in the first 3 months of 2013 can be used in figuring an education credit for 2012 only. See Academic period, earlier. For example, if you pay $2,000 in December 2012 for qualified tuition for the 2013 winter quarter that begins in January 2013, you can use that $2,000 in figuring an education credit for 2012 only (if you meet all the other requirements).

CAUTION
!
You cannot use any amount you paid in 2011 or 2013 to figure the qualified education expenses you use to figure your 2012 education credit(s).

Yeah, it sucks but students just don't happen to be one of the protected classes that get to carry costs/losses forward.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 3, 2013

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Looking at my transaction history, all of my grants and stuff were paid on 1/18/2012. I also paid out-of-pocked approximately $1500 in February.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I did not earn any income in a state I lived in until June of 2012, do I need to file my taxes with that state? Probably a dumb question but I just want to be sure.

I wouldn't

Dominoes posted:

I have a Vanguard Roth IRA. I put $5000 in my account in June. I don't have any tax forms from them on their site. I called, and the rep explained that they don't mail until May, so I don't have to file anything from them on my taxes that are due in April.

I remember submitting a form from them on my taxes last year. What's going on?

Roth IRA contributions don't actually show up on the return unless you took a distribution before retirement age. Put it into your software though so that it will track your basis.

vas0line posted:

I live with my SO, and am on her insurance policy at a cost of under $300 per month. I don't meet any the "5 tests of dependency."
I should not file as dependent, right?

Right

Gold and a Pager posted:

Is it even worth considering not claiming the Foreign Earned Income Credit so I can contribute to a Roth IRA? Or would it just end up being a lot of hassle? The FEIC more than covers what I earn in a year.

I'm not aware of anything saying you can't claim less FEIE than you are entitled to. You might be able to leave off $5K to have enough earned income to qualify for a Roth contribution, and then your standard deduction would make sure you won't owe any tax on that $5K.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Roth IRA contributions don't actually show up on the return unless you took a distribution before retirement age. Put it into your software though so that it will track your basis.
Thanks. Now that I think about it, it was showing up in previous years because I had employer 401ks that I rolled into the IRA in 2011.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm trying to claim a HSA deduction for the first time, and want to make sure I'm inputting the figures correctly. The HSA was on my own private plan and was self-funded, so the amount I put into it shouldn't be treated as taxable income. Is there anything to be wary of when entering the amount of contributions + the expenditures? I don't want it to look like an employer put the money in there and have that taxable.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh this sucks. I always seem to have something messed up on my taxes.

I got two W2s for two companies I worked for this year. Company A and Company B. Company B came to my state in mid-2012.

Company A has a federal EIN and a state EIN.
Company B has a federal EIN, and for the state EIN it has something like "APPLIED FOR" listed!

Everything else appears to be OK on each of the W2s. It does show that I've paid federal, state, and local taxes the amounts I expected.

Will I be unable to file my state or federal taxes due to this? I'm going to talk to HR (Human Resources, not H&R Block) tomorrow morning, but this really worries me and I haven't found much on Google about this. I am hoping that I can still file my federal return (since that doesn't use, to my knowledge, the state EIN), and if HR can't get this resolved, I'll have to file my state form by mail. I guess the upshot is that a ton of people where I work are going to be having the same issue.

Interestingly enough, the tax software I'm using doesn't give a poo poo what is entered in the State ID field. However, if the federal field is missing or screwy, it bitches instantly and loudly. I guess the Federal Id missing would be a much more serious situation.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 3, 2013

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Three-Phase posted:

Oh this sucks. I always seem to have something messed up on my taxes.

I got two W2s for two companies I worked for this year. Company A and Company B. Company B came to my state in mid-2012.

Company A has a federal EIN and a state EIN.
Company B has a federal EIN, and for the state EIN it has something like "APPLIED FOR" listed!

Everything else appears to be OK on each of the W2s. It does show that I've paid federal, state, and local taxes the amounts I expected.

Will I be unable to file my state or federal taxes due to this? I'm going to talk to HR (Human Resources, not H&R Block) tomorrow morning, but this really worries me and I haven't found much on Google about this. I am hoping that I can still file my federal return (since that doesn't use, to my knowledge, the state EIN), and if HR can't get this resolved, I'll have to file my state form by mail. I guess the upshot is that a ton of people where I work are going to be having the same issue.

Interestingly enough, the tax software I'm using doesn't give a poo poo what is entered in the State ID field. However, if the federal field is missing or screwy, it bitches instantly and loudly. I guess the Federal Id missing would be a much more serious situation.
Doesn't matter. As long as the state e-file goes through they should be able to credit you for withholding.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I received a Bachelor's Degree in 2006.

I returned to school in 2009 for another Bachelor's Degree in a different subject.

Do I qualify for the American Opportunity tax credit? I know I've claimed it at least once since 2009.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

scribe jones posted:

Doesn't matter. As long as the state e-file goes through they should be able to credit you for withholding.

I haven't attempted to e-file either my federal or state yet.

Ok, this gets weirder - on the state's telefile instructions (it was part of their 1040 booklet) they want the employer's Federal EIN (box b) and NOT the State EIN (box 15)! They specifically tell you to not use the State ID number, only the Federal number.

That is bizzare, you'd think it would be the other way around, unless they had so many problems with the State ID they said "hell with it, use the Federal number".

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 3, 2013

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Three-Phase posted:

I haven't attempted to e-file either my federal or state yet.

OK. I honestly don't remember if not having an ID# will cause the state e-file to reject or not--if it does, just paper file the state return and remember to attach a copy of the W-2 and you should be golden.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm moving to a new address on the 15th.

If I file *now*, should I select that new address to receive my refund?

edit: Looks like it takes 8 weeks, cool.

the fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2013

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So, quick question. My parents are married, and although they've been pretty much ready to divorce for years, they have not (pretty much entirely for financial reasons.) This year, my father decided that he would want to file separately (MFS) from my mother. Since my mother usually does the taxes (MFJ), I offered to help him by doing them this year.

I've run through the federal packet and basically he's not gonna get any federal tax money back. I understand that he loses quite a bit for not being able to claim student loan interest from my sister and such, but last year they got back $4100 being together. This year, he owes $14.

Could I have made a mistake?

Their AGI was ~84k last year and they got two American Opportunity Tax Credits, plus they could deduct student loan interest.

He paid all of the property taxes and mortgage interest, so he deducted that himself.

I guess, I'm just looking for a little clarification.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

the posted:

I'm moving to a new address on the 15th.

If I file *now*, should I select that new address to receive my refund?

edit: Looks like it takes 8 weeks, cool.

Why don't you direct deposit your refund? Much faster and no worries

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

scribe jones posted:

OK. I honestly don't remember if not having an ID# will cause the state e-file to reject or not--if it does, just paper file the state return and remember to attach a copy of the W-2 and you should be golden.

Does the IRS even look at State data when you e-file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ATP5G1 posted:

Looking at my transaction history, all of my grants and stuff were paid on 1/18/2012. I also paid out-of-pocked approximately $1500 in February.

You need to only claim qualified educational expenses for tax credit purposes in the calendar year they were paid. If these expenses were paid in 2012 and you used them as a basis for a tax credit in 2011, you overclaimed your 2011 tax credit.

the posted:

I received a Bachelor's Degree in 2006.

I returned to school in 2009 for another Bachelor's Degree in a different subject.

Do I qualify for the American Opportunity tax credit? I know I've claimed it at least once since 2009.

No. You can only claim the American Opportunity credit during the first 4 years of postsecondary education.