Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

This looks similar:
http://www.foodbook.com.hk/recipe-details.aspx?id=209

When I search for 乾燒牛肉絲, some results return 干烧牛肉丝 which I suppose is Simplified

E: or this? http://www.dodocook.com/recipe/37879

simplefish fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

That's some wacky romanization of Gan Shao Niu Rou Si 幹燒牛肉絲/干烧牛肉丝. I'm guessing it's some dialectical thing since Ao Jo for Niu Rou/beef is super far off from any romanization I know and even the Sichuan pronunciation of those words.

Dry fried/干煸 stuff all tends to be spicy, it's one of the major parts of that style of cooking in Hunan and Sichuan. And all the dry fried beef I've had here is pretty spicy, so I think the dish you got is their own creation or a very altered recipe the way you're describing it.

Baiduing it got me this: http://baike.baidu.com/view/151996.htm which looks like your picture and is actually a Shanghai dish (according to baidu baike). 烧 (shao) and 煸 (bian) have very slightly different meanings, so that could be it? I can't really find any other recipes for this dish outside of this one, but it does seem like it'd be a bit less spicy than most ganbian stuff. I don't have time this second to translate it, but the ingredients are mainly ginger, onions, garlic, etc... and it only has a bit of chili powder, sichuan pepper and chili oil. It shouldn't be too spicy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Based on the ingredients and 8 minute deep fry it seems to be about the same as the recipes I've been trying thus far. The second dish is way off the mark.

Magna Kaser posted:

That's some wacky romanization of Gan Shao Niu Rou Si 幹燒牛肉絲/干烧牛肉丝. I'm guessing it's some dialectical thing since Ao Jo for Niu Rou/beef is super far off from any romanization I know and even the Sichuan pronunciation of those words.

Dry fried/干煸 stuff all tends to be spicy, it's one of the major parts of that style of cooking in Hunan and Sichuan. And all the dry fried beef I've had here is pretty spicy, so I think the dish you got is their own creation or a very altered recipe the way you're describing it.

Baiduing it got me this: http://baike.baidu.com/view/151996.htm which looks like your picture and is actually a Shanghai dish (according to baidu baike). 烧 (shao) and 煸 (bian) have very slightly different meanings, so that could be it? I can't really find any other recipes for this dish outside of this one, but it does seem like it'd be a bit less spicy than most ganbian stuff. I don't have time this second to translate it, but the ingredients are mainly ginger, onions, garlic, etc... and it only has a bit of chili powder, sichuan pepper and chili oil. It shouldn't be too spicy.

I don't mind it being spicy as I order everything extra strong from them anyways, but it does seem like they just add more chilies at that point, rather than the sauce itself being especially hot, but that is according to my palate, and most non-chinese who eat in this restaurant will order mild and call it fiendishly spicy. I guess the Shanghai dish might be it, even if they do stress that this is a sichuan dish. Is there vinegar in it? (google says fermented juice so I'm guessing yes?). The dish I'm talking about has a clean sourness to it, and just a bit of sweetness. It's sort of sweet and sour I guess, but much rounder, spicier and more umami than what you'd expect hearing that.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 15, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not really far off if the restaurant owner is Cantonese

gon1 siu1 ngau4 juk6 si1
gon1 siu1 ngau4 juk6 si1

J is a Y in jyutping, and k is like a stoppage. Sio and siu both easily could be the same sound (see-oh) as romanised, as can ao and au, plus the ng is a nasal sound like the end of "sing" in English and tends to be dropped by locals. Juk is said like... a deep u as in "put" and like siu/sio could be switched for an o

So:
Gon siu ngau juk si
Gon Sio (ng)Au Ju' si
Gong Sio Ao Jo Si

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

Not really far off if the restaurant owner is Cantonese

gon1 siu1 ngau4 juk6 si1
gon1 siu1 ngau4 juk6 si1

J is a Y in jyutping, and k is like a stoppage. Sio and siu both easily could be the same sound (see-oh) as romanised, as can ao and au, plus the ng is a nasal sound like the end of "sing" in English and tends to be dropped by locals. Juk is said like... a deep u as in "put" and like siu/sio could be switched for an o

So:
Gon siu ngau juk si
Gon Sio (ng)Au Ju' si
Gong Sio Ao Jo Si

Then that makes sense. I just said it was probably a dialectical thing and it was definitely not a rendering of the Sichuanese pronunciation.

Also weirdly enough that recipe has no vinegar, which puts it in the vast minority of all Chinese cuisine.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I can barely get my head around properly cooking this stuff with a tried + true recipe let alone any sort of regional pronunciation

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Arglebargle III posted:

No clue, but I want to tell you to get the chili bean sauce too. It's great for cooking. The chili garlic bean sauce has a super umami salty garlicy flavor that mellows when you use it as a base for a sauce. Pair with the Chinese trinity of minced garlic, ginger and green onions for a super authentic stir fry anything sauce.

I bought a jar of some to try, and it really is! It's very nice as a condiment too - I used to eat a lot of sambal trassi and it's one of the things I've really missed since going vegetarian, but doubanjiang is a perfect veggie replacement. It's got a slightly salty, fermented taste, just like trassi, perfect for putting a big dollop on top of nasi goreng.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

Then that makes sense. I just said it was probably a dialectical thing and it was definitely not a rendering of the Sichuanese pronunciation.

Also weirdly enough that recipe has no vinegar, which puts it in the vast minority of all Chinese cuisine.

No worries, I'm not trying to pointscore off you or anything like that. Just I find language interesting :shobon:

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Stottie Kyek posted:

I bought a jar of some to try, and it really is! It's very nice as a condiment too - I used to eat a lot of sambal trassi and it's one of the things I've really missed since going vegetarian, but doubanjiang is a perfect veggie replacement. It's got a slightly salty, fermented taste, just like trassi, perfect for putting a big dollop on top of nasi goreng.

I'm not sure this is necessarily universal though, for douban seekers out there. I recently got a whole bunch of pixian doubanjiang and using that as a condiment would be uhh... a bit much most of the time. I mean it's crazy delicious but there is nothing "slight" about the salt or fermentedness here. Its like intensely, almost chocolatey funkiness.

I have actually been continually surprised at how much difference there is between different doubanjiang. Pixian is wonderful but thick and intense. Perfect for mapo. Red oil doubanjiang is probably my favourite, a lot lighter and sweeter and by far my preference for dry fried dishes. And then there's the highly variable world of in-between jar sauces that run the range from pixian style funk, with salty lumps of broad bean, to lee kum kee style, with its relatively mild, slightly garlicky flavour.022

Ebbinate
Oct 26, 2002
Slide Ruler

Biomute posted:

I don't mind it being spicy as I order everything extra strong from them anyways, but it does seem like they just add more chilies at that point, rather than the sauce itself being especially hot, but that is according to my palate, and most non-chinese who eat in this restaurant will order mild and call it fiendishly spicy. I guess the Shanghai dish might be it, even if they do stress that this is a sichuan dish. Is there vinegar in it? (google says fermented juice so I'm guessing yes?). The dish I'm talking about has a clean sourness to it, and just a bit of sweetness. It's sort of sweet and sour I guess, but much rounder, spicier and more umami than what you'd expect hearing that.

Try to google for crispy shredded beef. It's popular in UK takeaways, I don't remember what they put in it I'd have to check.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

bamhand posted:

One downside to stir frying that I don't see mentioned often in this thread is it will leave your entire house smelling for days. I'm Chinese and all our family friends either get a ridiculous powerful range hood when they get their own place or cut down on stir frying a lot.

I'm just gonna build an outdoors kitchen and do it that way.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

bamhand posted:

One downside to stir frying that I don't see mentioned often in this thread is it will leave your entire house smelling for days. I'm Chinese and all our family friends either get a ridiculous powerful range hood when they get their own place or cut down on stir frying a lot.

That's not a downside. That's the best part.

I love the smell of sesame oil and cooked noodles.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's not a downside. That's the best part.

I love the smell of sesame oil and cooked noodles.

It's a downside because when you come home you'll think "gently caress I could go for some more stir-fry" and eventually you'll fatten up

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...
Anyone have a good recipe for Pork Chop Peking Style? It's a favorite of mine from when I was a kid and only one of the delivery places by me carry it and charges way too much for it, so I'd like to recreate it on my own.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Could you describe it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I just tried Mapo Tofu for the first time and good god, I hope they just hosed up the preparation or something. The peppercorn flavor was incredibly overwhelming, to the point that I literally couldn't taste anything else. It had this very bitter, sour, almost gasoline-like taste to it, and while the numbing effect was actually kind of pleasant, that flavor was just unbearable. I would legitimately rather eat a hunk of wasabi. Did the cook just totally overdo it to an absurd degree, or is Sichuan food just not for me?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 22, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It could be hosed up, but also mapo tofu can be a pretty hardcore dish. The last time I had it in Chengdu it was just pure salt and flower pepper and I couldn't get through more than a few bites. Most Sichuan food is not like that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
My mom used to live in Chengdu and she made it like that once.

I think that was, genuinely, the only time when I've ever told my mom I straight up wasn't going to eat any more of her cooking.

...though now, I think I'd like it. Mom, make some more!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gravity's mapo tofu in this thread is really good and I enjoy it a lot. It doesn't resemble what I've had in Chengdu at all, but in this case that's a good thing.

I've also only had it once because of how bad it was, I should try it again somewhere else.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hey, just because you're not used to the taste doesn't mean it doesn't taste good.

Gimme some of that ammonia :centuryegg:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've had Mapo Doufu at least a couple hundred times on 3 different continents and at least 8 provinces in China and I've never had the same thing twice, even within the same city. It's a very "versatile" dish. The way you described sounds more like the Sichuan variant where every chunk of tofu is smothered in sichuan peppercorn powder.

Mapo doufu is one dish that changes so much I'd recommend trying it again at another restaurant, you might like it!!

Also I'll say the dish at Chen Mapo (the self-claimed creators of it) isn't really that good and you can probably skip it. That restaurant as a whole is pretty good, though.

I personally like mapo doufus that are very meaty with thick sauces and lots of fermented soybeans, which seem to be the minority in Sichuan. The norm here is super mala oily sauces.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I did a blend of the 2 here and threw in bird chili's I didn't need to use and cut the pepper in half on account of ~my girlfriend~ and now I may make it this week because drat it was good

Though I bought the block because I have some Carolina Reapers and a friend who loves food that makes him cry. Might be interesting to really go at it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

This is the Hong Kong version. It doesn't really have that pepper corn numbing taste and is super light weight. Just cook some pork, add some hard tofu then add this packet. Boom, instant mix mapo tofu.

Then again, it doesn't have that tongue numbing peppercorn sichuan taste - it's more sweet and spicy.

Magna Kaser posted:

I've had Mapo Doufu at least a couple hundred times on 3 different continents and at least 8 provinces in China and I've never had the same thing twice, even within the same city. It's a very "versatile" dish.

Steak and hamburgers taste drastically different across the world. American thick cuts is the way to go :911:

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 22, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

This is the Hong Kong version. It doesn't really have that pepper corn numbing taste and is super light weight. Just cook some pork, add some hard tofu then add this packet. Boom, instant mix mapo tofu.

Then again, it doesn't have that tongue numbing peppercorn sichuan taste - it's more sweet and spicy.

That sauce was genuinely one of the worst things I've ever tried.

The mapo tofu at Chen Mapo was decent but not that special.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah get that poo poo out of this thread. Go make Gravity's version.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why would you buy mapo dofu sauce when doubanjiang, garlic, ginger, scallion and sichuan peppercorns are easy to get and easy to mush together?

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

I personally like mapo doufus that are very meaty with thick sauces and lots of fermented soybeans, which seem to be the minority in Sichuan. The norm here is super mala oily sauces.

This way is excellent.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I had mapo tofu for the first time from a cheapy little american-chinese restaurant, and loved it.

So, I was excited to have it from a local very authentic sichaun restaurant - and it was much like you described. I don't think I even finished it, which is a travesty because Chinese Leftovers are amazing. So no, it's not just you. :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would you buy mapo dofu sauce when doubanjiang, garlic, ginger, scallion and sichuan peppercorns are easy to get and easy to mush together?

sichuan peppercorns not so easy for me :smith: Unless I cross into the Chinese border.

Oh and I have been brain washed by Lee Kum Kee. As a dirty Southerner, I didn't really know much about good Sichuan food until I started going to Sichuan.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

caberham posted:

sichuan peppercorns not so easy for me :smith: Unless I cross into the Chinese border.

So it's easier to find an imported Chinese ingredient in America than it is to find it in actual China?

That's really weird :smith:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I know it's probably heathen of me but I lived in China for three years and don't really like mapo doufu. I lived in best China (Guangdong) and like Cantonese food and Hakka food and chaozhou food the best.

But I would kill somone for some proper 梅菜扣肉

And for 小肥羊 火锅. But not the hot or mala soup, the nice one. With lots of tofu skins to dip in.

And 天上龙肉 地上驴肉. It is true.

Donkey blood rice, gently caress I miss China sometimes.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 22, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

I know it's probably heathen of me but I lived in China for three years and don't really like mapo doufu. I lived in best China (Guangdong) and like Cantonese food and Hakka food and chaozhou food the best.

But I would kill somone for some proper 梅菜扣肉

And for 小肥羊 火锅. But not the hot or mala soup, the nice one. With lots of tofu skins to dip in.

This goon has good taste.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've asked before and got nothing, but does anyone know a mail order / Internet source for dried scallops from Hong Kong/ des vouex road shops? I used to have a friend in HK who would mail them to me, but she lives in Africa now.

I know there must be some people in America who enjoy good fresh dried scallops, one of the most delicious foods in the world, but how do they get them? Fly there/ from friends+family?

It's to the point where I'm just going to find some random hong kong message board and ask strangers if they want to make a buck on PayPal for taking the MTR to sheung wan, getting on the tram and mailing me a package.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...

Arglebargle III posted:

Could you describe it?

Pork Chop Peking Style?

It's a fried pork dish probably coated with cornstach and egg then covered with a sweet/sourish red sauce. It's really the sauce I would like a recipe on.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Magna Kaser posted:

I've had Mapo Doufu at least a couple hundred times on 3 different continents and at least 8 provinces in China and I've never had the same thing twice, even within the same city.

Interesting you say this because I've been making Gravity's mapo tofu for a while and love it, but I just recently found a restaurant here in the Portland, Or area (Taste of Sichuan) and tried their mapo tofu... It's basically identical to what I've been making except with more peppercorn.

Are the variances you've experienced pretty extreme? I can totally see how there would be a lot of variety, but it's such a unique (to me) flavor profile that I don't know how different one version could be from another. It makes me think of fried chicken, there are a million ways to make and season it, but it's all still fried chicken.

Edit: obviously I didn't bother reading everybody else's posts before I replied, sounds like everybody loves them some mapo tofu!

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 22, 2015

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The most difficult part about making Gravity's mapo is keeping the seasoning:ingredient ratio correct because that poo poo is so good and more is always better ow my face

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Humblebrag much >:mad:<

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Interesting you say this because I've been making Gravity's mapo tofu for a while and love it, but I just recently found a restaurant here in the Portland, Or area (Taste of Sichuan) and tried their mapo tofu... It's basically identical to what I've been making except with more peppercorn.

Are the variances you've experienced pretty extreme? I can totally see how there would be a lot of variety, but it's such a unique (to me) flavor profile that I don't know how different one version could be from another. It makes me think of fried chicken, there are a million ways to make and season it, but it's all still fried chicken.

Edit: obviously I didn't bother reading everybody else's posts before I replied, sounds like everybody loves them some mapo tofu!

Yeah, I eat it a few times a week just because it's pretty much one of the things you order in Sichuan. I now just keep track of which ones are nice and which aren't, but it does vary to the point it's almost not recognizable.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

antisocial posted:

Pork Chop Peking Style?

It's a fried pork dish probably coated with cornstach and egg then covered with a sweet/sourish red sauce. It's really the sauce I would like a recipe on.

I know what you mean, I ate this many times as a child. I have, unfortunately, never cooked it, but I have a general idea of how it's meant to taste at least, and so if no real recipes I hope this at least kind of helps.

Googling for it I see a variety of different recipes, many of which are very different sauces, but I think some combination of the following ingredients should probably steer you in the right direction: sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, black vinegar, shaoxing rice wine, ketchup (yeah, ketchup). From what I've seen roughly equal proportions of each is a good starting point, then tinker I guess. Thicken with cornstarch or dilute with water or stock obviously if need be.

willing to settle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

antisocial posted:

Pork Chop Peking Style?

Oh god this brings me back memories. My mom used to order 中式牛柳 - "Chinese style beef filet" all the time in restaurants because it's the closest thing to having a steak :barf: