Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

I got a pour-over set for Christmas and everything has been fine and dandy till this set of beans. Every time I do the first pour to bloom the grounds fizz and bubble up like soda. Any idea what could be causing this? None of the other beans I've used have done this. The cup also tastes flat. Should I just let the water cool off more beforehand? I typically wait around ten seconds after taking the pot off the boil, and that seems to be perfect for everything else. There's also very little oil in the cup, not what I'm used to seeing. The beans were also roasted a bit too dark from the look of things, could that be a factor?

The coffee was JUST roasted from the sounds of it; it needs to degas. Give it a couple days and try again. Also, yeah, the beans might just be roasted too dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The fresher the coffee, the more gas it will release when you add water.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Right now I keep it in a sorta airtight container that has a valve to let air out. Should I open that and let it sit a few days, or should it be fine closed like that? I started using the coffee about five days ago and it's still doing the fizzy stuff. Might just be over roasted from the sound of it.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
My parents came back from a trip to Taiwan and my mom brought me back a t-shirt. What does this have to do with coffee? The shirt is made from coffee beans. Here's a pic of the packaging it came in:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

cryptoclastic posted:

Right now I keep it in a sorta airtight container that has a valve to let air out. Should I open that and let it sit a few days, or should it be fine closed like that? I started using the coffee about five days ago and it's still doing the fizzy stuff. Might just be over roasted from the sound of it.

I usually roast around 9pm. After putting it in its jar, I put the lid on top but don't actually tighten it. After it sitting overnight I then brew the next morning and seal the lid. Works for me.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
I've recently taken to the show Dangerous Grounds on the Travel Channel. I've scanned the last few pages and haven't seen anything about it in this thread. Does anybody know if the guy's company La Colombe is any good? Unless somebody has negative advice I really want to try this Blue Mountain variety :

http://shop.lacolombe.com/collections/workshop/products/papua-new-guinea

Any suggestions?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Does anyone use weight loss % to determine roast? Found this on the SM forums, look fairly accurate for a popper?

quote:

City: 12.5% to 15.0% weight loss
City+: 13.5% to 16.0% weight loss
Full City: 15.0% to 17.5% weight loss
Full City+: 16.5% to 19.0% weight loss
Vienna: 18.0% to 21.0% weight loss

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Not in the least bit.

(I don't use it. No idea if that's accurate)

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

The beans I brought home from America are pretty drat good. One is a sample from a hippie shop in San Francisco after buying a bunch of other stuff from them.

The point of this post: beans make a huge difference, even with a poo poo setup (blade grinder and cheap drip machine).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Thread needs more pictures...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

porktree posted:

Thread needs more pictures...

What have you guys done to me..

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Google Butt posted:

What have you guys done to me..

Turned you into a taste explorer? :)

So was running low on my espresso blend, and opted to switch to pour-over for a few days to try some of the beans that came in the 8 lb sampler from my last SM order. Ran the last few pulls of the espresso yesterday and then roasted some of this:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.southamr.colombia.php?source=side#3562

Drank on it this morning. It's a very interesting cup. At just-finer-than-drip grind, it's got a sour, tobacco note to it like the sumatrans I'm not fond of. Tightened up the grind quite a bit and poured another cup. Very, very sweet with a lot of cacao and tons of acidic fruit. The CO2 sharpness was there as well. We'll see how it settles the next couple of days.

Oh, and ground for and pulled a double espresso on it this afternoon. Bad idea. Astringent as all hell. My tongue is still recovering. After the first sip I steamed milk and cut it back to a macchiato, but lord the bite. Oh well, just an experiment. I noted it's not really recommended by SM for espresso.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Google Butt posted:

Does anyone use weight loss % to determine roast? Found this on the SM forums, look fairly accurate for a popper?

It makes sense that % weight loss would increase as the roast got darker. I'm using a Poppery II. I'd only done 3 roasts so far. I used sight, sound of the first and second crack, time, and an IR thermometer to try and gauge everything. I noticed the measured temperature of the middle of the chamber tended to run hotter than the degree of the corresponding roast. For example, stopping at 445 degrees gave me a pretty light roast that still had some grassy tastes to it, so I let it go to about 475. I finally heard second cracks at the end of this roast. Using the Sweet Maria's guide here (https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast), that should be around 454. So, basically, my measurements were about 20 degrees higher than expected. That particular roast turned out to be pretty sweet but not very complex. I figured I needed to go somewhere in between.

Last night, I roasted my first batch of an El Salvador Finca Siberia Bourbon from SM to about 455 degrees. The color looked good (what I would call medium), so I stopped. I did go past first crack but probably stopped halfway through to the second crack based on how long the previous roast took to go from first to second crack. My second batch was stopped at 455 as well, however, the time was a little bit shorter due to the fact that the popper was warmer at the start of the second batch. When I compared the pre and post-roast weights for the batches, I got:

Batch 1: 75g -> 63g (16.0% loss)
Batch 2: 75g -> 64g (14.7% loss)

Considering the variability in my roasting setup (i.e. the popper doesn't roast every bean to the same degree), I think that's close enough for me to call the two batches equivalent. By the way, I liked the taste of this batch. It had a creamy, cocoa, slightly acidic taste after putting it through my espresso machine. According to the SM description, this puts it right about City+ (435) to Full City (444). I'm sure I have mixtures of both and even outside of this range because I can clearly see some beans are darker than others. But, for sure, my measured temperature (455) was higher than the temperature of the bean by about 15-20 degrees.

So, what did I learn? Well, I learned that temperature is a consistent way to judge my roasts based on the weight loss comparisons of the two batches, and my measured temperature seems to run about 15-20 degrees higher than the bean temperature.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Great info! I definitely agree that along with sight, smell, sound, time, temperature is probably the most reliable sign of roast level. I've read other posts regarding the IR thermometer not telling the full story, as it's only capable of reading surface temperature. Sounds like you've found your method to compensate for this. I decided on a cheap k-type thermocouple thermometer off eBay. This has a little wire that reads temp so you can stick it right in the middle of the roast to get a reading. Cost me $15, cheaper if you're willing to order from China.

edit: Just got the thermocouple and my Capresso Infinity in the mail, the burr grinder doubled the body of my brew and the thermocouple just allowed me to get my first legit FC/FC+ (19.0% weight loss) roast. Tomorrow is going to be a good morning :)

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 15, 2013

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

So about what percent of coffee lovers drink coffee black?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Timid posted:

So about what percent of coffee lovers drink coffee black?

Coffee lovers by definition drink their coffee black. Coffee effect lovers are the ones who put crap in it. :v:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Alleric posted:

Turned you into a taste explorer? :)

So was running low on my espresso blend, and opted to switch to pour-over for a few days to try some of the beans that came in the 8 lb sampler from my last SM order. Ran the last few pulls of the espresso yesterday and then roasted some of this:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.southamr.colombia.php?source=side#3562

Drank on it this morning. It's a very interesting cup. At just-finer-than-drip grind, it's got a sour, tobacco note to it like the sumatrans I'm not fond of. Tightened up the grind quite a bit and poured another cup. Very, very sweet with a lot of cacao and tons of acidic fruit. The CO2 sharpness was there as well. We'll see how it settles the next couple of days.

Oh, and ground for and pulled a double espresso on it this afternoon. Bad idea. Astringent as all hell. My tongue is still recovering. After the first sip I steamed milk and cut it back to a macchiato, but lord the bite. Oh well, just an experiment. I noted it's not really recommended by SM for espresso.

Trip report on the columbian. It's just too acidic, too astringent. The flavor is killer, but turns my tongue to sandpaper. I'll be taking the remaining half pound in to work tomorrow to draw pots for the masses. It's my own drat fault though, partially. I parked it at a 390F city roast since I wanted a more nosy pour-over. Bad idea. Ah well.

In the meantime, I wandered out to the gun tonight and took half a pound of this to 431F (second crack just getting going):

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.indonesia.sumatra.php?source=side#3745

Had a headache, so decided to pull a double off of it immediately. If I didn't have 10 more lbs of green coffee in the other room, I would order 5-10 lbs of this immediately. It's not terribly complex, but it's absolutely loaded with dark chocolate and blueberry. Also insanely smooth with a rich moutfeel. For you SO espresso folks, this may be one to take a peek at.

First Sumatran I've ever liked straight.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Coffee thread, please forgive me for i have sinned. I am looking for work, so I did the unthinkable and applied for Starbucks.

Oh well. In about 8mths Im moving to a larger city that has a few decent coffee places that maybe I can trick into hiring me with some lovely coffee experience, even if they do have to retrain me.

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
So I was wondering, how traditional is it to sprinkle chocolate on top of a cappuccino? My dad insists it's some terrible recent thing but reading the wiki article it looks like it might go back a way.

Also out of interest (and because it's incredibly important) what sort of size cups do you guys usually like to drink your coffee from? That's drip brewed/cafetiere style not espresso.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

swagger like us posted:

Coffee thread, please forgive me for i have sinned. I am looking for work, so I did the unthinkable and applied for Starbucks.

Oh well. In about 8mths Im moving to a larger city that has a few decent coffee places that maybe I can trick into hiring me with some lovely coffee experience, even if they do have to retrain me.

Nothing wrong with that; everyone pays their Starbucks dues sooner or later. I hope I never find my way back, having left in like 2007, but I'm glad I did it. Make sure you keep yourself inoculated against the propaganda by drinking as much really nice stuff when not at work as you can.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mr N posted:

Also out of interest (and because it's incredibly important) what sort of size cups do you guys usually like to drink your coffee from? That's drip brewed/cafetiere style not espresso.

I do about 12-16oz in the brand new Clever dripper I bought this week. It's about double the size of the Aeropress output (which is good). My mugs, which I honestly buy for kitsch value more than anything, reflect that.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Mr N posted:

So I was wondering, how traditional is it to sprinkle chocolate on top of a cappuccino? My dad insists it's some terrible recent thing but reading the wiki article it looks like it might go back a way.

When I drank drip, press, pour-over, etc... what I call "large volume" coffee brew processes, I would commonly drink from a cup that would hold the full brew volume (other than drip, which I was usually splitting the pot with someone). This usually meant a large mug in the 12+ ounce range, twice the volume of a traditional coffee/tea cup. This was on my normal day-to-day coffee though. If I was out at a shop, restaurant, or anywhere that made me non-espresso, I was quite content to drink from traditional 6 ounce cups. I actually found it a pleasant, traditional formality.

Put your coffee in a warm vessel of whatever size fits your brew methodology. It's not like there's police for this sort of thing. :)

As for sprinkling chocolate, or anything else for that matter, on top of a cappuccino, no clue. It wouldn't surprise me if the addition of adjuncts wasn't a more recent, American thing, but then it wouldn't surprise me if people did it decades ago. I mean, depending on the history you follow, espresso itself is only 112-128 years old, give or take. In coffee terms, that makes espresso itself, and all variants therof... recent.

My question would be if you like it or not. If so, roll with it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

How would this be for regular coffee? I need to put in a new order from Sweet Maria's and was told to try out some Sumatran for this round of roasting.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Doh004 posted:

How would this be for regular coffee? I need to put in a new order from Sweet Maria's and was told to try out some Sumatran for this round of roasting.
That's good for regular coffee - even great. The only brewed coffee I like better are the Yemeni Mokha's.

Has anyone got a source for Liberica? I had a couple of pounds last summer and now I'm out, and it is an amazing cup, and I can't find it anywhere.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

That's good for regular coffee - even great. The only brewed coffee I like better are the Yemeni Mokha's.

Has anyone got a source for Liberica? I had a couple of pounds last summer and now I'm out, and it is an amazing cup, and I can't find it anywhere.

My usual green sources don't show it. Only thing I could find, believe it or not, was Amazon. :crossarms:

http://www.amazon.com/Liberica-Green-Unroasted-Coffee-Philippines/dp/B00A7FW3N0/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1358349867&sr=1-1

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010

Alleric posted:

My question would be if you like it or not. If so, roll with it.

There's a coffee shop near me that puts actual shavings of dark chocolate on top of their cappuccinos, rather than the powder, and it's pretty awesome.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Amazon - I would never have thought to look there. I'm suspicious (by nature), I thought Liberica was an Indian bean, not Philippine. I bought 2 pounds to try out and because it is so uniquely tasty it's worth the risk, $30 shipped. Which is about what I pay for 2lbs of Kona (Smithfarms) shipped. Anyway, thanks a ton, I will report back on this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

porktree posted:

Amazon - I would never have thought to look there. I'm suspicious (by nature), I thought Liberica was an Indian bean, not Philippine. I bought 2 pounds to try out and because it is so uniquely tasty it's worth the risk, $30 shipped. Which is about what I pay for 2lbs of Kona (Smithfarms) shipped. Anyway, thanks a ton, I will report back on this.

I had some shipped to me from my uncle (I'm Filipino) last year along with some barako. Both were pretty lackluster, though remember, coffee is a crop and there will be season by season crop variations. This is why a place like sweet marias is so highly recommended, because Tom visits the farmers and cups each batch before committing to a buy.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
After a visit to Intelligentsia and having an awesome cup of coffee sans sugar, cream, etc..., I've decided to try roasting my own beans. I've been looking through Sweet Marias for my options, but I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for a bean that would be similar to Intelligentsia. I need something less acidic with sweeter tones (if that means anything) so that my wife will actually drink it. I'm assuming it's a house blend that they use there, but I'm hoping there's a single origin that would be similar. Any suggestions?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cyborganizer posted:

After a visit to Intelligentsia and having an awesome cup of coffee sans sugar, cream, etc..., I've decided to try roasting my own beans. I've been looking through Sweet Marias for my options, but I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for a bean that would be similar to Intelligentsia. I need something less acidic with sweeter tones (if that means anything) so that my wife will actually drink it. I'm assuming it's a house blend that they use there, but I'm hoping there's a single origin that would be similar. Any suggestions?

Intelli roasts a few different beans throughout the year so it could be any number of options. Do you remember what you got? Less acidic with sweeter tones sounds like anything from a Brazillian to an Indonesian coffee.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

I had some shipped to me from my uncle (I'm Filipino) last year along with some barako. Both were pretty lackluster, though remember, coffee is a crop and there will be season by season crop variations. This is why a place like sweet marias is so highly recommended, because Tom visits the farmers and cups each batch before committing to a buy.
I've known and known about Tom since the 90's and alt.coffee - Mark Prince was a newb, and we were all using Poppery II's and complaining about the patent that kept a decent air roaster from being made. Good times :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I wish I worked somewhere that let me put as much time into working on espresso, or even had the ability to work on alternative brew methods. Even one scale would be nice.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cyborganizer posted:

I made a video that may or may not convince you to purchase and electrically modify the West Bend Air Crazy ($20 from Target).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRAEEQOzss&hd=1

edit: Also, what brewing method are you using? I found that once I got my method down with the CCD (grind, coffee/water ratio, steep time and technique) the coffee that I thought was overly acidic was fine.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 17, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Went to Sweet Marias a few hours ago and just roasted my first batch using a whirlypop. It's a good thing I have a really good range hood!

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

ded posted:

Went to Sweet Marias a few hours ago and just roasted my first batch using a whirlypop. It's a good thing I have a really good range hood!

Bah, use your roasting as a good reason to go outside and relax. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Alleric posted:

Bah, use your roasting as a good reason to go outside and relax. :)

It's cold up here in the bay area and I don't have anything to heat a whirlypop with outside.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I hear you. We've been on hard freeze the past 4 days here in southern AZ. It was 39 when I roasted last night. I'm not a native to the region, so it doesn't really bother me, but I do understand not wanting to hang out in it for a while. :)

meno257
Aug 5, 2011
So I just wanted to post on here for the first time and say that I hate you all. I was perfectly happy with my blade grinder and drip coffee till I came upon this forum. 20 pages in I already had 10 or so tabs open trying to find the best equipment. So since you all killed my love for drip coffee I thought I should tell you my findings. I just did my first french press with a horio grinder nothing fancy but with my budget it works. For my coffee I used my left over drip coffee from my micro roster back home that will ship to me. At this point the coffee is many many months old been sitting in the freezer so granted cant expect much. Plus I know I need to do allot of fine tuning with the amount and time, but even with all of those negatives GD it is a mighty fine cup of coffee, and not what I was expecting with a french press. No sludge or grinds a perfect oily thick cup, it is so good that I have to readjust my taste buds to accept GOOD coffee. So ya I hate you all you ruined my lazy easy cup of joe. Wondering if you could give me a opinion on my micro roster that I order from he is up in Boston and I am here in Texas, should I find someone closer or is this fine? I know in my limited experience, of military coffee, folgers and this guy,that his coffee is dam good.

http://www.redeyeroasters.com

meno257 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 17, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Picking up dirt off the ground and pouring hot water over it is better than military coffee. 20lb tins of horrible preground poo poo that sits around for god knows how long. :barf:

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a roaster close to you. Check out YELP for roasters or just order from a known good place like sweet marias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

A good place to find roasters is here: http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/list-of-our-favorite-roasters-t12125.html

I've ordered from several of them, and they've all been excellent. Red Bird was probably the best for the price. If you want something more local, check the forums on home-barista.com to see if there are specific places.