Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I just realized, mine is an IN-USB-1, the one with the separate fast forward-reverse buttons. It's been pretty much bulletproof. Apparently the second gen one has some quality issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014
I'm trying out transcription for the first time and I'm currently reading through Daily Transcription's sample work. My problem is I can't quite figure out from their instructions or sample how often I am supposed to include the Burnt-in timecode. Any help would be appreciated.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I used one of those. Lasted about a year before it got completely unresponsive.

Mine lasted just shy of 6 months, but as you know I basically work it full-time.

Janus Owl posted:

I'm trying out transcription for the first time and I'm currently reading through Daily Transcription's sample work. My problem is I can't quite figure out from their instructions or sample how often I am supposed to include the Burnt-in timecode. Any help would be appreciated.

Every time speaker changes, or after 30-40 seconds of the speaker not shutting up/not talking. If you get the job, this changes (Many projects only have you timecode the interviewee, some make you timecode both, some have no timecodes, sometimes you have to do the 30-40 seconds although in interviews I've never seen a split required for the interviewer based on time, sometimes it could be a minute or two, sometimes the instructions could be "Don't break up an answer" and you might end up with a 2000 word block of text, sometimes it's a dialogue where you only timecode once per time interval and then just identify speakers within that timeframe, etc etc).

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 3, 2014

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Mine lasted just shy of 6 months, but as you know I basically work it full-time.

Every time speaker changes, or after 30-40 seconds of the speaker not shutting up/not talking. If you get the job, this changes (Many projects only have you timecode the interviewee, some make you timecode both, some have no timecodes, sometimes you have to do the 30-40 seconds although in interviews I've never seen a split required for the interviewer based on time, sometimes it could be a minute or two, sometimes the instructions could be "Don't break up an answer" and you might end up with a 2000 word block of text, sometimes it's a dialogue where you only timecode once per time interval and then just identify speakers within that timeframe, etc etc).

Current sample is dialogue style so every 30-40 seconds without breaking the sentence.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, Infinity IN-USB2. If this one fails me I'm done with Infinity.

Oh man, I hope you just got a bum one or something, that's exactly what I have :ohdear:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

We'll, I was using mine for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week as well, though some of my coworkers' pedals seem to still be working just fine. Pretty sure we all use the same model pedal at work too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've seen reviews that are consistent with my experiences (Lasts for about half a year, then stops working correctly, unplugging itself, etc etc), and I've seen reviews that are like, "Had it for years still working great!" so who the hell knows. I do know that the first one came in a box (The pedal box, not the shipping box) that looked like a wild dog had gotten it or something, it was so hosed, but the pedal worked no problem until it decided to not work.

I mean, fundamentally it's no problem, I'm literally making enough just tonight to pay for this new one and half of another new one if I wanted to, but it's kinda the principle of the thing given that the only thing more central to this job is that your computer and sound both work.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, for the longest time that was pretty much the only USB pedal you could find for a reasonable price, so I imagine a ton of transcribers are using it. It's really weird that the quality's so inconsistent.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love how they sent along a photosheet for this job so help me identify the speakers in the mp3 file.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love how they sent along a photosheet for this job so help me identify the speakers in the mp3 file.

Yeah, I love when they do that.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
So, I finally took the plunge and purchased Dragon. I don't know how 13 compares to previous versions, but I'll let you guys know if it's any good. I finally got sold on the idea when one of my friends told me she's been suing it for a few years now for her speech therapy patient notes and as it was able to learn all of her terminology it must be pretty drat good.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Although this thread is mostly transcription chat, I figured I'd let people know that Pinecone Research, one of the more reliable survey sites, is open for registration right now. I think it's US only though. The link below is not a referral, I get no money if you sign up. I would get points towards cashing out if I were to invite anyone to GlobalTestMarket. Those two, along with Toluna, are how my gimpy rear end supplements my disability checks to a tiny degree.

http://www.pineconeresearch.com/signup/ds762.aspx

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
Popping in the thread to thank kazmeyer and the rest of you transcription goons, I'm in with DT now and it's fantastic. Truly the most reliable, least soul-deadening online moneymaking I've experienced.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Perpetual Ascent posted:

least soul-deadening

Ahh, the start, so innocent, so untouched by reality TV.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This actually reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask, since DT has been so pleasantly reliable since I started. I've heard it said a few times that this is the "busy" season. How long does the busy season last, and how hard is it to get projects when it's not the busy season?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

This actually reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask, since DT has been so pleasantly reliable since I started. I've heard it said a few times that this is the "busy" season. How long does the busy season last, and how hard is it to get projects when it's not the busy season?

I've gone as long as a week with no or minimal work from DT before, and similar (Light work, at least) with my captioning outfit. Our work is entirely reliant on people with cameras and/or microphones recording poo poo and shipping it to us, if they take a break, we take a break, whether we want to or not.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

People shoot tape year-round, so it's all down to which customers your transcription house services. One of my clients is in the middle of a busy month after a couple months of slack work, the other's in a bit of a lull but generally stays busy all the time. There's no real set rule, other than the week after a holiday is usually slower and December/January are really unpredictable feast or famine months.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I've gone as long as a week with no or minimal work from DT before, and similar (Light work, at least) with my captioning outfit. Our work is entirely reliant on people with cameras and/or microphones recording poo poo and shipping it to us, if they take a break, we take a break, whether we want to or not.

I will admit it's been a bit lighter than my boss and I were expecting it to be so far. Obviously our salespeople have their work cut out for them.

Shima Honnou posted:

Ahh, the start, so innocent, so untouched by reality TV.

Lmao

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014
I submitted my test transcription to Daily Transcriptions and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it might take for them to get back to me? Also do they not respond if your sample wasn't accepted or will they get back to me either way?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Janus Owl posted:

I submitted my test transcription to Daily Transcriptions and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it might take for them to get back to me? Also do they not respond if your sample wasn't accepted or will they get back to me either way?

Anywhere between a week and a couple months. If you start feeling like it's taking too long, try to contact them about it. (They will tell you if you don't make the cut)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Shima Honnou posted:

Anywhere between a week and a couple months. If you start feeling like it's taking too long, try to contact them about it. (They will tell you if you don't make the cut)

I added a bit about this to the OP since most people seem to ask it.

In the world of content writing, Google's whole Panda update thing took out more content farms and blog networks, but my private client's sites went up ~30% in traffic. He more or less credits my writing entirely.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

So I think one of my clients is trying to get me to quit. I take some time off from my writing gig and see what she's got. She sends me a pair of ABSes. The first is a new show about genius kids and their parents, and I discover that genius parents are people I can hate worse than pageant parents. (Seriously, if this one boy doesn't end up killing his mom with a hammer I'm going to be astonished.)

Second one is a god drat SyFy original movie.

Think I'm going to need a stiff drink tonight.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I don't know about ABS, but I would caption the poo poo about of a SyFy original movie that was probably made by Asylum.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

So I think one of my clients is trying to get me to quit. I take some time off from my writing gig and see what she's got. She sends me a pair of ABSes. The first is a new show about genius kids and their parents, and I discover that genius parents are people I can hate worse than pageant parents. (Seriously, if this one boy doesn't end up killing his mom with a hammer I'm going to be astonished.)

Second one is a god drat SyFy original movie.

Ahahaha oh man I think we have both of those shows as well. Interesting how many ICs are getting their hands on it. Do post houses do anything themselves anymore? :v:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

ICs are cheap.

And man, this movie is cinematic mustard gas. I've lost track of how many times some badass character pauses in the middle of the action and drops a line stolen straight from a geek movie or video game. I want to find this writer and set his head on fire.

(I wish I could give details. Some of the poo poo this moron did is just astonishing. Alas, I'm stretching the NDA as is.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Ahahaha oh man I think we have both of those shows as well. Interesting how many ICs are getting their hands on it. Do post houses do anything themselves anymore? :v:

More work for us if nothing else!

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

Sounds like me a few months back, when I had to transcribe 50 minutes of a Rugrats VHS. Every grammar-reflex in me was screaming.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Ham Pants posted:

Sounds like me a few months back, when I had to transcribe 50 minutes of a Rugrats VHS. Every grammar-reflex in me was screaming.

I regularly caption a Western. Wadn't thinkin' that you'd be wheres I'd be :clint:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Pssst boss! I would love either of those shows! I hate Honey Boo Boo child, but goddamn I love some Toddlers and Tiaras. I really don't know why. And terrible SyFy movies are way better than having to do ABS on a wanna be blacksploitation zombie film from the 80s. Ving Rhames should be in stuff, not in charge of it.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

Slightly Used Cake posted:

terrible SyFy movies

The more cheese the better.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Empire State posted:

The more cheese the better.

This one wasn't even in the so-bad-it's-good category. I did that Paul Bunyan horror film a while back, and at least that was demented -- the actor who played Grizzly Adams was in it, and the middle third of the movie was full of Martin Sheen's brother chewing the scenery (seriously if you need Crazy Old Man cast that dude, he's hilarious), and the monster was just some guy in a suit bluescreened into the footage to make him look big. This one was just lack of effort all the way around.

vanmartin
Feb 2, 2005
WWBD?
Folks, I've seen mention made of the fact that DT is open to non-US residents. I believe one of the posters on here is Canadian and got accepted if I'm not mistaken? My wife decided to take the plunge and apply to DT but on the page following the submission of your resume it states that it is only open to US residents. Is this a recent development or is there perhaps a chance that DT is flexible on this rule?

Either way, she's decided to go ahead with the test and submit anyway on the off chance that DT may accept her. Even if they don't allow it, she sees it as good practice at the very least. She's read through the whole thread, has the spare time and is not put off by the ABS horror stories. If any of you know of any other sites that are open to non-US residents I'd be much obliged.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I don't know about other countries, but Canadians are DT-approved.

Don't worry about ABS stuff, as far as I'm aware you have to specifically chip in to get that. At least, I've never been given ABS in my time there, although I did have the opportunity to take some for a rush project (Which I did not).

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hello! I am a ::canada:: goon and I've been on their books for a couple years now. I'm gonna send the HR lady an email though and get the full skinny because yeah, as far as I know that's a very recent development. Their big concern is just having people who are native English speakers from North America.

Edit: Confirmed it with Heather, North America.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 10, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
American English: still better than British English.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
So, I'm thinking of trying out the whole transcription thing because I think I have the attention span and immunity to drivel that it may take. Do I absolutely need to get a pedal before attempting DTs test file? I don't want to invest the $50 if I either don't get accepted or I decide quickly that I hate it. Also, how long is their test file, normally?

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
I'm working on this old kids show right now. If there's one thing we as a society have learned in these last decades, it's that we have a much better sense of timing with regard to laugh tracks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

ConspicuousEvil posted:

So, I'm thinking of trying out the whole transcription thing because I think I have the attention span and immunity to drivel that it may take. Do I absolutely need to get a pedal before attempting DTs test file? I don't want to invest the $50 if I either don't get accepted or I decide quickly that I hate it. Also, how long is their test file, normally?

You don't NEED a pedal, especially since the test videos are fairly short, but I will tell you this, the instant they say you are approved, get a pedal. Working without a pedal can take 10x as long, especially for a new transcriber.

If you have an Xbox 360 controller, though, that can actually double as a pedal.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Ham Pants posted:

I'm working on this old kids show right now. If there's one thing we as a society have learned in these last decades, it's that we have a much better sense of timing with regard to laugh tracks.

I think I might know which one you're talking about! It's possibly because of a release of a DVD collection. Apparently it was one of the first to even use a laugh track which is why it sounds wonky. Also it's just pure cheese. And the theme song is going to get stuck in your head for days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I think I might know which one you're talking about! It's possibly because of a release of a DVD collection. Apparently it was one of the first to even use a laugh track which is why it sounds wonky. Also it's just pure cheese. And the theme song is going to get stuck in your head for days!

Yeah, there's been a bunch of old stuff the past few weeks and it's been just amazing.