Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dulles is pretty nice, though? I always am in B gates and there are nice shops, acceptable food options and it's clean. What else do you want?

I want to go on moon patrol again.

edit: also they didn't have an AAdmiral's Club last time I was there

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dulles is pretty nice, though? I always am in B gates and there are nice shops, acceptable food options and it's clean. What else do you want?

IAD is my home base and I fly out of the insanely lovely C/D gates except for maybe 2 flights a year. A/B is a nicer building but the thieves running the airport concessions try to shortchange me about every fifth transaction.

gently caress the lovely buses you have to take to get to D or when you come home internationally, gently caress the Airserv shitheads who scream at you when they're zipping around on their golf carts, gently caress especially the taxi drivers who don't know where loving anything is, gently caress their parking bus drivers, gently caress everything about the place.

gently caress IAD forever, I long for the day it is erased from the earth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
maybe the problem is that you are flying on united lmao

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Cocoa Crispies posted:

One time I rented an Impala from Hertz at EWR and even though there were "no smoking" stickers all over by the time I was in the highway heading south to Monmouth I was getting pretty tired of the obviously-smoked-in smell. I tried rolling the windows down and the outside air smelled even worse.

I know a few people who smoke in rental cars. They don't care and think no one else will notice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

maybe the problem is that you are flying on united lmao

Besides the C/D gate part it's airline - independent. Dulles should have been replaced with a better airport 25 years ago.

But it's the airport DC deserves.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Any suggestions for something to check out in Amsterdam on a Friday night? Staying at the airport but flight isn't until tomorrow morning.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just crossed over the mark for Platinum on Delta in the air somewhere around the Illinois-Missouri boarder. Feels good man.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MickeyFinn posted:

I know a few people who smoke in rental cars. They don't care and think no one else will notice.

I had a horribly-smoke-filled car the other week. We can tell.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

IAD is my home base and I fly out of the insanely lovely C/D gates except for maybe 2 flights a year. A/B is a nicer building but the thieves running the airport concessions try to shortchange me about every fifth transaction.

gently caress the lovely buses you have to take to get to D or when you come home internationally, gently caress the Airserv shitheads who scream at you when they're zipping around on their golf carts, gently caress especially the taxi drivers who don't know where loving anything is, gently caress their parking bus drivers, gently caress everything about the place.

gently caress IAD forever, I long for the day it is erased from the earth.

Yea verily. When I am subjected to IAD (because I had no other route available) I always make haste to Terminal B and the relative safety of the LH lounge. Miles ahead of anything UA offers in the region.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but I need some advice on a prepaid sim to use while traveling (I am from the US). Here's where I'm going:
  • England: 1 day
  • Netherlands: 3 days
  • Belgium: 2 days
  • Philippines: 3 days
  • Thailand: 5 days
  • Hong Kong: 2 days

What are my options? Ideally it'd be nice to have one sim to cover it all, but I'm not sure I need to buy a sim in each country. Mainly needing data so I can have access to maps while on foot.

Also saw that T-Mobile has this: http://www.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-international-plans.html

The t-mobile roaming is more convenient as you don't need to be sim swapping and easier to bill your company. One sim card over Europe isn't happening until next year, until then you will pretty much go to the telephone store multiple times. Luckily it's not USA so the process is much much more painless than going to T-mobile USA.

Hong Kong, and Thailand you can just buy a sim for less than 10 USD in a 7-11 in no time.

When I mean sim, I mean sim card and voice and data and minutes and not just the card itself. I hate getting pre paid and hate the telephone networks in US :suicide:

If you ever have time in HK you can PM if you want to come out for a drink with us HK gooooons. Think there are lurker Dutch goons here as well

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Mackieman posted:

Yea verily. When I am subjected to IAD (because I had no other route available) I always make haste to Terminal B and the relative safety of the LH lounge. Miles ahead of anything UA offers in the region.
Rumor has it UA 1ks are getting the boot in the coming year : (

Don't blame 'em, UA is bringing less and less to *A other than droves of 1ks sick of the lovely IAD lounges.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

Rumor has it UA 1ks are getting the boot in the coming year : (

Don't blame 'em, UA is bringing less and less to *A other than droves of 1ks sick of the lovely IAD lounges.

1K = Star Gold = LH lounge access when on a Star Alliance flight. Don't know how they could deny access unless they stop allowing Star Gold access all together.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Mackieman posted:

This is the best plan. Makes IAD bearable. AB is so much better than CD. BA lounge is also nice for American flights.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So, since we switched from Hertz to National/Enterprise, I've decided gently caress Enterprise. The last 10 cars I've had from them have either been near end-of-life, had a layer of film on the interior and exterior surfaces, or smelled bad. National is 100% better, and I can pick my own drat car. Twice in the past month Enterprise has downgraded me because they ran out of cars. I can't take people to lunch in a Yaris.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

I had a horribly-smoke-filled car the other week. We can tell.

Ohh, I know and I said as much too, I have to sit in a rental car to make sure it doesn't smell like smoke. But these are people who can't drive without smoking and have never suffered any repercussions, so why would they stop?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

1K = Star Gold = LH lounge access when on a Star Alliance flight. Don't know how they could deny access unless they stop allowing Star Gold access all together.

*G gets access day of travel on int'l *A ticket. 1k gets access to LH senator lounge at IAD only, day of domestic travel on *A. Its a unique deal and I mummers of it being yanked are swirling about.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
gently caress this time change poo poo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MickeyFinn posted:

gently caress this time change poo poo.

I'm glad I'm not on the road for it this year.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
I am kind of new into this business traveling poo poo and the United Club at Ohare does not even impress me. Is this what I should expect of most of them?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

The Risk posted:

I am kind of new into this business traveling poo poo and the United Club at Ohare does not even impress me. Is this what I should expect of most of them?

Yes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Risk posted:

Yeah they kind of suck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Risk posted:

Yes.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
Have you guys discussed United's safety video? It's a little different than the old ones...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Goober Peas posted:

So, since we switched from Hertz to National/Enterprise, I've decided gently caress Enterprise. The last 10 cars I've had from them have either been near end-of-life, had a layer of film on the interior and exterior surfaces, or smelled bad. National is 100% better, and I can pick my own drat car. Twice in the past month Enterprise has downgraded me because they ran out of cars. I can't take people to lunch in a Yaris.

National is killing it, they do a great job.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

The Risk posted:

Have you guys discussed United's safety video? It's a little different than the old ones...

I like how the family in the ski lift were all :wtf: when the oxygen masks fell from the ceiling.

Regarding United lounges, if you do international travel and you are a Star Alliance Gold member, you can basically use any Star Alliance partner lounge regardless of what ticket you purchased. The Singapore and Asiana lounges are my go-to at ICN/SFO and they're way better than United.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

The UA safety vid is way too long.

The UA clubs pretty much suck but it still beats hanging at the gate and during irrops it's 10x easier to deal with agents there than the gate or service desks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The clubs are useful at ORD and ATL because finding a seat where you can work is otherwise very difficult. Contrast with, e.g. MSP, where its relatively trivial to find a spot to open your laptop during a delayed flight or long layover.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

The UA safety vid is way too long.

The UA clubs pretty much suck but it still beats hanging at the gate and during irrops it's 10x easier to deal with agents there than the gate or service desks.

Troof. And the newer UClubs are getting much nicer, like the one at the new terminal in BOS and the new one in Terminal F at ORD. Comfort and decor are starting to approach the standard offered by LH, though the food and beverage selections certainly aren't.

And I also <3 the former President's Club locations for having showers.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I'm a Delta Medallion and am staying at a Starwood hotel for the first time since getting the SPG Crossover benefits - is there anything tangible that I might actually get out of this?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I'm a Delta Medallion and am staying at a Starwood hotel for the first time since getting the SPG Crossover benefits - is there anything tangible that I might actually get out of this?

SPG Gold is....bordering on useless.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

The most Flyertalk possible response.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mackieman posted:

The welcome gift is "something", and in theory the room upgrade is nice.

Platinum is obviously better but it requires a lot more stays.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

The most Flyertalk possible response.

SPG Gold, like most mid or low tier status levels with hotel programs, doesn't really have much in the way of incentive to generate loyalty. Arguably the most valuable benefit is an extra point per dollar (which is the same at the Platinum level) and the 4PM late checkout. Room upgrades do happen, but the application of that benefit is so incredibly property specific as to be bordering on useless. I say that as a multi-year SPG Platinum member where my suite upgrade certs don't clear half the time at nice properties yet I get the presidential suite at a Four Points on the west side of Houston for one night out of the blue. When you factor in that (in theory) Platinums will be upgraded before Golds, it kills the value proposition for just about everyone. Golds don't even get free Internet access (unless they choose it in lieu of points) which is an area where SPG is trailing its competitors.

Not sure how that's a, "FlyerTalk" response, but I have been a member there for years, though I don't use it much anymore, so maybe the bad habits rubbed off? :confused:

smackfu posted:

The welcome gift is "something", and in theory the room upgrade is nice.

Platinum is obviously better but it requires a lot more stays.

Have you found an instance where the local welcome gift was worth more than the points? I never have, but everyone values that sort of thing differently. And as I noted above, there is a distinct lack of empirical evidence but the general consensus is that upgrades are sparse for Golds within the SPG program. And 25 stays is a decent chunk, though a couple of trips of hotel hopping for a frequent business traveler can have that locked up in a month or two. I suppose it all comes down to what you're willing to put into it for the value you get out of it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mackieman posted:

Not sure how that's a, "FlyerTalk" response, but I have been a member there for years, though I don't use it much anymore, so maybe the bad habits rubbed off? :confused:

It's the tendency to describe all programs that are less than the top tier as pointless and worthless.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

What Smackfu said. Dismissing something as worthless instead of actually listing what the benefits are is Flyertalk as gently caress.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Flyertalk as gently caress.

Ask me about business travel/frequent travel: Flyertalk as gently caress.

Alternately, that would make good red text if anyone ever deserves it.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Speaking of FlyerTalk, someone on my flight yesterday had a bag in the overhead bin with a laminated "FlyerTalk Priority" tag on it. Is that just a way to identify that they're a member of FlyerTalk, or is it some attempt to trick the airlines into giving better baggage handling service?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Speaking of FlyerTalk, someone on my flight yesterday had a bag in the overhead bin with a laminated "FlyerTalk Priority" tag on it. Is that just a way to identify that they're a member of FlyerTalk, or is it some attempt to trick the airlines into giving better baggage handling service?

http://www.theman1000.com/2012/02/14/flyertalk-luggage-tags/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

ONE WEIRD TRICK BAGGAGE HANDLERS HATE!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

My coworker has one (and a FT lapel pin... seriously) and he says he gets harassed more for using our vaguely evil/skynet company's luggage handle cover.

In other news, I get to drive from Chicago to Oshkosh, WI tomorrow. I haven't been on a plane in more than a month and it's starting to itch.