Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When you have chicken and anything else, your only solution is to stuff that stuff in that chicken.

When could we expect a take on the Turducken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Xelkelvos posted:

When could we expect a take on the Turducken?

He'll make a Turducken, or something similar, to get into the Elite 10, obviously.

crozero0
Jul 18, 2013
This has been bothering me since I read the last chapter, and I need to let it out of my chest.

Soma, your dish does sound delicious and all, but isn't putting meat into chicken wings just ... Stuffed chicken wings?

Calling it gyoza sounds cool and all, but it really doesn't resemble gyoza more than Stuffed chicken wings, y'know?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you can win a burger contest with a gyro, the sky is the limit.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

crozero0 posted:

This has been bothering me since I read the last chapter, and I need to let it out of my chest.

Soma, your dish does sound delicious and all, but isn't putting meat into chicken wings just ... Stuffed chicken wings?

Calling it gyoza sounds cool and all, but it really doesn't resemble gyoza more than Stuffed chicken wings, y'know?

uhhhhhhhhh the dish hasn't reached its final form???????

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Much like how once a good writer understands the fundamentals of language they can break the rules with a purpose, Soma understands the fundamentals of cooking and now anything can be gyoza. Seriously though it's a riff on what you'd get from a very simplified explanation of gyoza, "stuff put inside a wrapper and fried/cooked" where in this case the wrapper happens to be chicken. Also "stuffed chicken wing" sounds like something you'd get at Applebee's.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Pretty sure Soma would be all over the Double Down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Zinger Double Down Max!!!!!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elysiume posted:

Much like how once a good writer understands the fundamentals of language they can break the rules with a purpose, Soma understands the fundamentals of cooking and now anything can be gyoza. Seriously though it's a riff on what you'd get from a very simplified explanation of gyoza, "stuff put inside a wrapper and fried/cooked" where in this case the wrapper happens to be chicken. Also "stuffed chicken wing" sounds like something you'd get at Applebee's.

I can pretty much guarantee nobody's clothes have ever exploded from eating at Applebee's.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Angry Grimace posted:

I can pretty much guarantee nobody's clothes have ever exploded from eating at Applebee's.

Do pants exploding off from gastrointestinal distress count?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This series would be way better if Erina and Rindou were switched and the main love interest was a trolling cat-girl instead of a generic tsundere.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rindou is too cool for Soma actually.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Smash Erina and Rindou together and you get Alice. Make Alice the main heroine.

Actually no, Alice is also too cool for Soma. Give her a spin-off instead of Shinomiya.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Smash Erina and Rindou together and you get Alice. Make Alice the main heroine.

Actually no, Alice is also too cool for Soma. Give her a spin-off instead of Shinomiya.

I really like Alice, but I sincerely think she only works in small doses. Also, this recent chapter made me want to cheer for cocky Soma. :3:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

alice ftw

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
soma is one of the least obnoxious shonen protagonists i can think of. he deserves a non-poo poo girl, like alice or rindou.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

soma is one of the least obnoxious shonen protagonists i can think of. he deserves a non-poo poo girl, like alice or rindou.

Most girls in this series are non-poo poo. In fact i'd say most character in this series are non-poo poo.

Davincie posted:

alice ftw

:yeah:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sadface Erina is a dramatically worse character than arrogant shitheel Erina.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Inflammatory posted:

Yeah, Soma's only really a cocky poo poo when it comes to cooking and even when he's knocked down a peg or two, he doesn't angst over it needlessly. Outside of that, he's pretty chill, respects his friends and has a knack for recognizing other people's good qualities.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

alice ftw

Inflammatory posted:

Alice and Rindou are cool because they are awesome characters who don't need Souma to shine.

Megumi is cool and sweet and likes Souma and is more honest and upfront about it than Erina so I am rooting for Megumi.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Alice and Rindou are cool because they are awesome characters who don't need Souma to shine.

Megumi is cool and sweet and likes Souma and is more honest and upfront about it than Erina so I am rooting for Megumi.

these are all things that are correct

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Also this is legitimately one of my favorite pictures in SoS.

Rindou looks hella pretty here. Unnaturally so.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Rindou is a gourmet vampire.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

Tasted so many good foods you can't even evoke a proper reaction out of her cause she's only mildly impressed.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Soma is gonna realize that if cooking for someone he loves makes his cooking amazing, loving more people will make his cooking even better. So yeah, Harem end.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kyte posted:

I bet Rindou knows exactly how many breads she has eaten.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Compendium posted:

Yeah, Soma's only really a cocky poo poo when it comes to cooking and even when he's knocked down a peg or two, he doesn't angst over it needlessly. Outside of that, he's pretty chill, respects his friends and has a knack for recognizing other people's good qualities.

Not true soma is also cocky as gently caress when mocking aldini for trying to be cool.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfgames posted:

Not true soma is also cocky as gently caress when mocking aldini for trying to be cool.

As he should.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Elfgames posted:

To be fair, he did step on his foot.

But they're cool now and Soma understands that Takumi can't help but be a hot-blooded shounen.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Elfgames posted:

Having Aldini be all dramatic and "wash your neck and wait for me" before winding up sitting right next Souma on the bus is one of my favorite gags from the anime.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm surprised more chefs don't try to win with brute force by just adding lots of delicious and fatty ingredients like butter and, well, animal fat. I can't imagine it would work, but it'd be fun to see someone try it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nikumi certainly tried with the rich beef and garlic rice fried in beef tallow.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

NowonSA posted:

I'm surprised more chefs don't try to win with brute force by just adding lots of delicious and fatty ingredients like butter and, well, animal fat. I can't imagine it would work, but it'd be fun to see someone try it.

I too would like to see Paula Deen guest star in this manga.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Compendium posted:

Nikumi certainly tried with the rich beef and garlic rice fried in beef tallow.

Yeah, Nikumi with the Grade A+++ pricey beef is probably the best example.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Elfgames posted:

You are confusing Soma with the other Aldini brother. Soma just no-sells that poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

paragon1 posted:

You are confusing Soma with the other Aldini brother. Soma just no-sells that poo poo.

No-selling the People's Gumbo at Kitchenmania XXXI.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Who's the biggest jobber in this manga?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

Who's the biggest jobber in this manga?

Nikumi probably. She's kind of a big deal and is shown to be near the top 8 but she still hasn't actually won anything ever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nikumi probably. She's kind of a big deal and is shown to be near the top 8 but she still hasn't actually won anything ever.
Yeah pretty much this. I imagine this comes from maybe a bit of a lack of a long term plan for her after her being the first real opponent Souma had way back at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Bad opinion time. I'm pretty meh on Megumi. I mean the character's fine and I've got no grudges against her or anything but I can't say I'm enjoying/finding every scene she shows up is is made better by her inclusion.

I actually fully agree; she isn't a very interesting character and is pretty cliche. Her personality is basically "is nice" (is there some label for earnest characters who are always trying their best?) and the fact that she tries hard and is good at cooking doesn't really change that. I don't think she's bad or anything (Soma certainly isn't any more interesting), but I have no idea why anyone would think she's one of the more interesting/entertaining characters in the series.