Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

TheCenturion posted:

Create two budgets. Transfers out of the one are treated like payments to third parties. Transfers into the other are treated like random income from third parties.

That's what I did, but I ended up with this:

I guess the real problem is that I budgeted €10k - which is much more than my net monthly income - all at once, instead of accumulating money in that category over several months. I feel like an idiot, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to properly account for spending out of my savings rather than out of my monthly income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You shouldn't ever end up like that, because a negative value in your budget means you physically spend money you didn't have. You must always be at $0 on your budget.

If the savings were on budget you just pull it out of the category back into the active budget/float which you brings you into positive to redistribute to wherever.
If the savings were in an off budget account within YNAB, add it as income into your budget and adjust the off budget account.
If the savings were somewhere else that you don't maintain in this YNAB budget you just add it as income.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
For new people to ynab, are people using the subscription service? I'm thinking of changing from Excel but it looks like ynab is a subscription service now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The Clowning posted:

That's what I did, but I ended up with this:

I guess the real problem is that I budgeted €10k - which is much more than my net monthly income - all at once, instead of accumulating money in that category over several months. I feel like an idiot, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to properly account for spending out of my savings rather than out of my monthly income.

Ok, you budgeted +ten grand in “us investment.” Do you have a matching -ten grand somewhere? Like, if you’re transferring from “general savings” to “us investment,” you budget negative amount to general saving, making the funds available, then budget positive to “us investment.” Transfer the money, then enter an outflow in that budget, and match it to the bank entry.

In other words, you budgeted ten grand twice.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

For new people to ynab, are people using the subscription service? I'm thinking of changing from Excel but it looks like ynab is a subscription service now.

Yeah. I like it. Eye-opening to see how much we’re really spending on dumb poo poo.

I need to get better at using it to cut down on spending. Right now when I go over in a category I just take money out of some big category I’m using to save for whatever and don’t really feel it. Kind of defeats the purpose I think.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Re: dual country budgeting:

I've been doing it for about 6 months now and here's my takeaways:

I started out with two separate distinct budgets for each currency, which worked fine as long I was basically almost not touching most of the money in one of them. Nowadays I have frequent transactions on both which led me to not have a big picture view of my spending, ie: I would use both my US and local credit cards to pay for groceries in my home country and end up having to mentally stitch together both budgets. I also have income from both countries now, so again I was getting an incomplete picture of my daily finances by keeping two budgets.

My "solution" ended up being this:

1. Choose a main currency, it should probably be the one where you have your primary residence, source of income and most of your expenditures.

2. Create a budget that has only your checking/cash accounts and credit cards for both countries.

3. Go to ynab.rmillan.com and use that to automatically convert transactions from your foreign accounts into the local currency. The site will do this once a day.

4. One of your issues will be that any money in your foreign checking account will show up as "available" but in reality you won't easily be able to use that to pay for all local expenditures (ie: it's no good for me to have $1000 available for budgeting if I can't use it to pay rent). You will need budget that money in to foreign expenditures only, or it might be easier to just budget all of that into foreign credit card payments, like I do.

5. Savings accounts should be set up as tracking accounts. There is no "clean" way to handle inflows from them, but in theory you should want to know how often you're having to dip into savings anyways.

You will 100% have to develop your own tricks to deal with your particular situations, but eventually it will be "good enough" which is as much as you can hope for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, it's good. Sucks to be a subscription model, but I pay it yearly, and I had a % discount from having YNAB4, so it isn't terrible. It's nice being able to pull it open in a web browser instead of having to install a standalone app.

Protip: If you pay your CCs off every month, save yourself endless headaches and set those accounts up as checking accounts and not CC accounts. Trust me.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’ve seen a lot of griping over CCs but so far so good for me. I enter transactions in their respective CC account and specify which category the purchase is going toward. When I pay my cc it’s just an “inflow” transaction to that CC account (which records as an outflow from my checking account obviously).

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Yeah, I have no issues with credit cards either. I have the discount as well and pay yearly and am fine with it. Browser based makes way more sense for me vs running the program on one computer. I don't sync accounts and enter stuff automatically. It works. Worth $45/year for me.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Protip: If you pay your CCs off every month, save yourself endless headaches and set those accounts up as checking accounts and not CC accounts. Trust me.

AndrewP posted:

I’ve seen a lot of griping over CCs but so far so good for me. I enter transactions in their respective CC account and specify which category the purchase is going toward. When I pay my cc it’s just an “inflow” transaction to that CC account (which records as an outflow from my checking account obviously).
While that's all true I'm having trouble making sense of the budget numbers knowing that any spend I put on a credit card for this month's true expenses (i.e. Cable/Internet) wont get paid until next month's statement due date.

I'm going to try and convert the Amex charge card over to checking first to see that works better since they have to be paid off.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ive been on nYNAB so long I’d forgotten about the multi-month view and now I really want it back

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fuckin same.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
Thanks for the tips! I've set up fresh EUR and USD budgets and am looking forward to using YNAB again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After all this time, there's still no Spending by Payee report in nYNAB. Nor any other big features came after reports. Hell, I wish you could save views in the report module, so that I don't always have to (un)check tons of categories to get certain answers and scenarios. I requested it like two years ago, but here we are.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think you can do this in the YNAB toolkit.

Not that I don't think this should be an official feature, but it is possible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm an obsessive nerd so I dump my YNAB register to a Google Doc where I have a complicated nest of spreadsheets that produce the reports I actually want to see.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I tried nYNAB and got so frustrated I stopped entirely for a while. Then I tried Budgetwise and I'm not a fan of the interface - although I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Now in january I reinstalled YNAB classic again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ Too bad I have too much data in nYNAB for moving easily.

I'm wanting to reorganize my master categories, but would prefer to do this on a copy of the budget. Turns out that people have been asking for at least 1.5 years for a copy budget function, and was announced to be on the list over at YNAB at least 9 months ago. What do these chucklefucks actually do?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

^^^ Too bad I have too much data in nYNAB for moving easily.

I'm wanting to reorganize my master categories, but would prefer to do this on a copy of the budget. Turns out that people have been asking for at least 1.5 years for a copy budget function, and was announced to be on the list over at YNAB at least 9 months ago. What do these chucklefucks actually do?

Can't you use the Fresh Start option to create a copy of your budget?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Fresh Start deletes all your transactions which is real dumb.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I know but it copies your old budget. Maybe you can fresh start, open the copy, fresh start again and have two copies.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FateFree posted:

I know but it copies your old budget. Maybe you can fresh start, open the copy, fresh start again and have two copies.

I'm interested to hear if that works. I understood that the copy would be the new one and not duplicating the original.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

FateFree posted:

Yeah but what he wants is to gently caress around with his existing budget, including transactions. I wanted to do this when I wanted to recategorize a bunch of stuff that normally just went to Inflow but I was afraid it would mess with my balances.

If you’re minimally comfortable with Excel it’s “easier” to export your budget into CSV, apply a filter that spits out your individual accounts and then manually reimport them into a fresh start.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Nevermind guys, I just tried it and it didn't work.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I’ve got a friend who wants to start budgeting seriously so I was turning her on to Financier, then I discovered she doesn’t have a computer or tablet, just a phone. That presents a few problems, notably that financier is unusable on a phone so it’s out. Also I would prefer an app that can sync from her Wells Fargo and citi accounts since it will be difficult for her to add transactions if they’re not done in real time. It’s awful to go back and forth to log things in.

We went through a few apps and landed on EveryDollar which seems good, and it does sync so we’ll probably try that. Any better ones out there?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
New YNAB lets you do all the normal budget management solely on the phone. As opposed to the old one which was just checking budget and adding transactions.

Or are you explicitly asking for something that isn't YNAB?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Xik posted:

New YNAB lets you do all the normal budget management solely on the phone. As opposed to the old one which was just checking budget and adding transactions.

Or are you explicitly asking for something that isn't YNAB?

Oh I didn’t know that, I thought I red a page back or so that the phone app only allowed for logging transactions.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

StormDrain posted:

Oh I didn’t know that, I thought I red a page back or so that the phone app only allowed for logging transactions.

The discussion may have been about the old ynab app (for ynab 4/desktop which a bunch of us are still using). That one is just enter transactions basically and syncs via dropbox.

The new one:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

StormDrain posted:

the new app is good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

the new app is good.

The new webapp... less so.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

tuyop posted:

The new webapp... less so.

Yeah, I'm always irritated at how slow it is when entering a payee. Let alone if you need to unhide reconciled transactions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure why they boast with reports in the mobile app. You get two basic graphs, Age of Money and Net Worth. That's it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Speaking of nuYNAB, one of my credit card categories has a huge positive balance and I don’t know where it came from. What do I do with this? All the other cards I use have normal balances.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I know the mobile app is way more featureful than previous versions, but it really has feature parity with the desktop experience? Then how can I Reconcile on mobile? I’ve made it as far as clearing transactions for a given account, but have never been able to figure out where the Reconcile button is to confirm account balance and lock in the cleared transactions.

I’m on iOS, btw.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

tuyop posted:

Speaking of nuYNAB, one of my credit card categories has a huge positive balance and I don’t know where it came from. What do I do with this? All the other cards I use have normal balances.
Looking at the credit card category details doesn't hit at a transaction? Did you budget money on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

Looking at the credit card category details doesn't hit at a transaction? Did you budget money on it?

No, looking back it’s just been going up as a balance since like, April 2018. It’s just a card I use for expenses and the balance autopays each month! I don’t even look at it as a budget line.

If I zero it out, poo poo is going to be all messed up too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Recovered my YNAB4 account and key at the end of January, feels like a good time to do this while I'm balancing a ton of stuff along with some unexpecteds. And hey! I still have the mobile app on my phone due to backups even though it's not on the appstore anymore, a bonus.

So my query is... as I started close to the beginning of the year, is it worth me going back now everything is reconciled to fill in those few weeks? Mainly from a being able to see my total income/outgoings across the year POV. Or by the time I get to April will I not care that the reports don't cover a paycheck or two?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

EL BROMANCE posted:

Recovered my YNAB4 account and key at the end of January, feels like a good time to do this while I'm balancing a ton of stuff along with some unexpecteds. And hey! I still have the mobile app on my phone due to backups even though it's not on the appstore anymore, a bonus.

Huh, I wonder when "YNAB Classic" was de-listed from the app store, you're right, it can't be searched and doesn't even show up on the developers list of apps. If I go through "My Apps", I can still see it though. Here is the link to the Google Playstore one.

EL BROMANCE posted:

So my query is... as I started close to the beginning of the year, is it worth me going back now everything is reconciled to fill in those few weeks? Mainly from a being able to see my total income/outgoings across the year POV. Or by the time I get to April will I not care that the reports don't cover a paycheck or two?
Mostly depend if you think it would be of some value to you? Maybe at the end of the calendar year you'd like to see the reports? YNAB places a lot of focus on right now, and the future (aging money, buffer etc). The training materials and videos on the site generally tell you not to bother filling in historic transactions. When you consolidate you can't go back and enter transactions (at least in old YNAB).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I probably should've been a bit smarter and started with that data right than going forward, I'd rather not mess anything up just to get a few more weeks visible I expect so maybe I'll just leave it alone and just keep it up to date.

I couldn't find the YNAB app either and thought I was stuffed, then spotted I had it tucked away in an old folder from a few years ago. It does pay off to hoard apps you don't use on your phone afterall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

tuyop posted:

No, looking back it’s just been going up as a balance since like, April 2018. It’s just a card I use for expenses and the balance autopays each month! I don’t even look at it as a budget line.

If I zero it out, poo poo is going to be all messed up too.
And are you manually registering the auto-payments in YNAB as they happen? Or is it syncing with the bank?