Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beast just saw the end of the universe in the Black Vortex story so I'm sure that will change his outlook a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It sounds like it's just a vacation destination for mutants with compromised judgement.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So, been reading a lot of current stuff and listening to Rachel and Miles. Really regret not giving xmen a shot earlier. Since I powered through all of what is on unlimited from the current run, and going back to giant sized #1 seems too daunting (and silly Claremont leprechauns) I decided to start with Grant Morrison's run on New Xmen. Is Cassandra Nova as dumb as I feel like it is or does it get better?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Aphrodite posted:

Beast just saw the end of the universe in the Black Vortex story so I'm sure that will change his outlook a bit.

None of the Black Vortex is going to effect anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lokipunk posted:

Is Cassandra Nova as dumb as I feel like it is or does it get better?

How far along are you?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

How far along are you?

Not super far. Smashing man just talked to some cows.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Nova has one of the strangest and coolest character arcs in the series :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lokipunk posted:

Have you read the issue with no dialogue? I can't remember if that's before or after that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

lokipunk posted:

That scene is where the current Smasher got her powers if you've been reading Hickman's Avengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

None of the Black Vortex is going to effect anything.

It's running through X-Men, it has to affect it a bit.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have you read the issue with no dialogue? I can't remember if that's before or after that.

Yes, that was super awesome and bizarre. I am excited because Seinkiewich inked one of the upcoming books and I love his stuff.
I admittedly know nothing about cosmic marvel aside from bird jerks and guardians movie, so when the books intersect I get confused.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

So CBR posted a big ol' interview with Axel Alonso, which wrapped up with this:

quote:

Alonso: The X-Men office is taking the opportunity of "Secret Wars" to build an entire new world for the characters -- to create a shared universe within the X-books that's set off by a huge event/incident/surprise. At that point, they're going to introduce a new team that feels unlike anything you've seen before. It'll be... "extraordinary."

It sounds to me like the X-Men might not even be part of nu-616 or whatever we get post-Secret Wars, but I guess we'll see.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It sounds to me like the X-Men might not even be part of nu-616 or whatever we get post-Secret Wars, but I guess we'll see.

I was already thinking something like that could be a longshot possibility, so this is interesting. It makes a certain sort of sense, the mutant world has always pretty much been treated like this anyway. Have the attempts to integrate mutants with the rest of the world really worked, other than a few characters who were already integrated, like Beast? How's Uncanny Avengers doing?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

lokipunk posted:

So, been reading a lot of current stuff and listening to Rachel and Miles. Really regret not giving xmen a shot earlier. Since I powered through all of what is on unlimited from the current run, and going back to giant sized #1 seems too daunting (and silly Claremont leprechauns) I decided to start with Grant Morrison's run on New Xmen. Is Cassandra Nova as dumb as I feel like it is or does it get better?

I wouldn't let Claremont weirdness factor in to your decision to not go back that far, because his weirdness was mostly contained for like the first five years and even after for a few more yeats, it's mostly stuff you can just shrug your shoulders at or ignore an issue here and there.

But yeah it really is a lot to go through. I feel like you can start at Dark Phoenix Saga (and like a little before it), read the issue after, then skip everything until Cyclops comes back, then read 20 issues after that and really have the charactarization that's kind of the "standard" for these characters. Then if you want more of what I feel like is good Claremont, read Days of Future Past (constantly referenced), God Loves Man Kills, X-Men: Asgardian Wars (I feel like this is the story where it's easiest to decide if you care about the Madeline Pryor can of worms or not), Mutant Massacre, Inferno (optional,mostly, unless you decided to want to see how the Madeline thing worked itself, but overall kind of bad), X-Tinction Agenda (might want to skim through some of X-Men in the Outback for some context to this), and The Muir Island Saga (just to see how he wrapped everything up).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm down with this. I can definitely see how it could make for better stories.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Rick posted:

But yeah it really is a lot to go through. I feel like you can start at Dark Phoenix Saga (and like a little before it), read the issue after, then skip everything until Cyclops comes back, then read 20 issues after that and really have the charactarization that's kind of the "standard" for these characters. Then if you want more of what I feel like is good Claremont, read Days of Future Past (constantly referenced), God Loves Man Kills, X-Men: Asgardian Wars (I feel like this is the story where it's easiest to decide if you care about the Madeline Pryor can of worms or not), Mutant Massacre, Inferno (optional,mostly, unless you decided to want to see how the Madeline thing worked itself, but overall kind of bad), X-Tinction Agenda (might want to skim through some of X-Men in the Outback for some context to this), and The Muir Island Saga (just to see how he wrapped everything up).

Those story lines are also all collected unlike the first weird San Francisco era with Spider-woman, and most of the outback era, which I love, because it's where I started reading comics, but most people can skip.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah Outback is really special to me too, also because that's when I started.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I think it's more they are separating things again. For a while there was a rule that the X-Men went off and did things in their own bubble and AvX was supposed to change that. Wolverine and that would appear in other books but for the most part everybody ignored the X-Men and let them do their thing. The more the X-books interact with the greater Marvel Universe, the worse they are so it should be better than what we currently have.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah I remember back in the day when all the 'properties' were pretty well segregated off into their own little corner of the universe and didn't intersect too much. I definitely like the interconnected MU but the X-men always seem to suffer for it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think the part about X-Men is that it seems like the best solo books are when the mutant characters go off and do non-mutant things.

Magneto's current solo book, while yes he is basically mutant Punisher, is basically reaffirming his status as a villain since he has clearly been a hero under Fraction, Gillen, etc... for the last several years.

Gambit and Storm's solo books, both of which I greatly enjoyed, are them off doing their own thing mostly independent of the Jean Gray School/mutant stuff.

In contrast, Nightcrawler's solo book might as well be called Nightcrawler and his Amazing X-Men because that's what it is. It isn't flat out bad but I enjoy it a lot less than Storm's solo book.

VVV X-23's solo book is another great example of her getting out of the shadow of Wolverine and other C-list teenage X-Men and doing her own thing. In fact, I think that's part of why I hate Uncanny Avengers because not only does it play into a lot of the X-Men book general themes, but it quite literally spells it out for you like in that stupid as hell Havok speech. But otherwise I like X-Men character as Avengers when they're allowed to operate as Avengers rather than THE MUTANT ON AN AVENGERS TEAM.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 28, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dreqqus posted:

Yeah I remember back in the day when all the 'properties' were pretty well segregated off into their own little corner of the universe and didn't intersect too much. I definitely like the interconnected MU but the X-men always seem to suffer for it.

Interconnected MU gave us X-23 Adventures in Babysitting the Future Foundation. The biggest problem with the interconnected MU is that the "X-Men as minority victims" doesn't work in the larger context, yet every writer seems to think that they're the one to make it make sense. There's a lot of cool stuff people could do but nobody does it. If you'd told me ten years ago that Thor and Asgard could have interesting stories that interacted with the greater MU I'd think you were crazy too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shawn posted:

Those story lines are also all collected unlike the first weird San Francisco era with Spider-woman, and most of the outback era, which I love, because it's where I started reading comics, but most people can skip.

Outback era is collected now; it's in the Inferno Prologue hardcover.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Brood Saga was always a big favorite of mine. Not just because of the amount of Carol Danvers in it.

I'd say early Claremont is probably the least weird. He doesn't get off the rails until the late 80s I'd say.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
Axel Alonso just tweeted that the X-men would remain an integral part of the marvel universe, which is a big disappointment for me, because I think the X-men severely need a complete reboot and a continuity enema. As it stands now it's completely unapproachable for new and returning fans.

When I heard the announcement that the Xmen would have their "own world" I was thinking I would check it out after secret war, but I guess it's just some cheap convoluted gimmick. So I guess I go back to not wanting to touch that mess with a 10 ft. someone else's dick.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can announce that I am writing the Rockslide ongoing post-secret wars

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Are there any mutants whose bones are made of something weird? I'm asking for artistic purposes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Are there any mutants whose bones are made of something weird? I'm asking for artistic purposes.

Angel's bones are supposedly hollow. Wolverine had adamantium grafted to them. Uh, that's all I can think of.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Axel Alonso just tweeted that the X-men would remain an integral part of the marvel universe, which is a big disappointment for me, because I think the X-men severely need a complete reboot and a continuity enema. As it stands now it's completely unapproachable for new and returning fans.

When I heard the announcement that the Xmen would have their "own world" I was thinking I would check it out after secret war, but I guess it's just some cheap convoluted gimmick. So I guess I go back to not wanting to touch that mess with a 10 ft. someone else's dick.

Reboots don't fix anything. You are not forced to know the 500+ backissue history for every character. DC keeps rebooting over and over again and their continuities immediately become dogshit again because editorial is terrible. Good editorial + good writing is all that is needed.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I'm reading Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men because gently caress you comics don't make me read like 4 different series at the same time to get a coherent story (Avengers I'm looking at you too!!!). Why did no one acknowledge what Jean Grey pointed out that Scarlet Witch is a genocidal monster and she should be put on trial way way way before Cyclops (who was right and did nothing wrong)? Everyone was all sad for SW and it was really disconcerting to read.

Also space pirate cyclops is a good idea and its sad it is going to die.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Avengers is also only 2 though.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Ramadu posted:

So I'm reading Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men because gently caress you comics don't make me read like 4 different series at the same time to get a coherent story (Avengers I'm looking at you too!!!). Why did no one acknowledge what Jean Grey pointed out that Scarlet Witch is a genocidal monster and she should be put on trial way way way before Cyclops (who was right and did nothing wrong)? Everyone was all sad for SW and it was really disconcerting to read.

Also space pirate cyclops is a good idea and its sad it is going to die.

The main thing I took away from this post is that I want a "Cyclops Did Nothing Wrong" shirt really bad.

Agreed on Cyclops, though. The first arc was excellent, and I've liked the post-Rucka space pirate shenanigans a lot as well. I just realized that the issue coming out this week is just Black Vortex bullshit and not actually relevant to why I liked the book, since I haven't been reading that dumbfuck crossover after the first two issues.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Why would them having their "own world" do anything?

I mean they basically spend most of their time in their own world now, only really crossing over with Bendis' other projects.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Angel's bones are supposedly hollow. Wolverine had adamantium grafted to them. Uh, that's all I can think of.

Shark Girl's might be cartilage!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
There's Marrow, who's bones can be pretty much whatever. Though, yeah, I guess you can say that about any actual shapeshifter too. Colossus' bones probably turn metal, not 100% sure on that. (Nimrod broke one of his arms recently and I think they went into a bit of detail into how that worked if you really wanna get into it for some reason) Also, good bet that Blob has an extra-dense skeleton... he'd have to, right?

Speaking of thick skeletons, I'd also say Mammomax, but you already used him. I guess look for other animal mutants, there's plenty.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Oh well, it was worth asking. Thanks for trying.

Also, other people should post and should most especially post funny/:krad: pictures in the Mimic thread. Someone else here has to know of five mutants and own either a pencil or an MS Paint.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So uh... which of them laid the Phoenix egg?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

So uh... which of them laid the Phoenix egg?

Magneto. It was a torrid affair in the heat of the moment, but Colossus just felt a real attraction to him.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place but I'm losing my mind...

I'm trying to get hold of the X-Factor comics, mostly from the Madrox stuff onwards but I wouldn't mind from the originals. I've tried various legal and illegal means but searching the internet for anything X-Factor is annoying as hell thanks to a certain tv reality show. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorvah posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm losing my mind...

I'm trying to get hold of the X-Factor comics, mostly from the Madrox stuff onwards but I wouldn't mind from the originals. I've tried various legal and illegal means but searching the internet for anything X-Factor is annoying as hell thanks to a certain tv reality show. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It might be on Marvel Unlimited. Someone can chime in on that I'm sure. As for your other legal recourse outside of hitting up comic stores, book stores, or ebay they are also available on Comixology.

https://www.comixology.com/X-Factor-2005-2013/comics-series/1131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for that Deadpool.

Funnily enough I was one of the first few Marvel Digital subscribers back n the day and I was so disappointed with what was available they gave me a refund plus a few comics. Back when I was subscribed there was barely anything on, collections weren't complete and new comics only appeared something like 12 months after their publishing date.

I'm guessing it's got a lot better since!

• Locked thread