Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk if furnace is explosion-proof

and allison wasn't really supposed to be here in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I feel like Furnace is probably not going to survive having a dam fall on him, or getting fried by the high voltage lines all over the place in here. The explosion itself, maybe. But he's not 'survives massive concussive impact guy'.

Or if the dam breaches from having a fire inside it (somehow?) he'd drown probably.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

CapnAndy posted:

Once again I will point out that Moonshadow's plan here was "threaten two people who can survive an explosion with an explosion, even though I myself cannot survive an explosion".

And then try to save one of them from the explosion by taking it to the gut.

thatbastardken posted:

I feel like Furnace is probably not going to survive having a dam fall on him, or getting fried by the high voltage lines all over the place in here. The explosion itself, maybe. But he's not 'survives massive concussive impact guy'.

Hard to say. When he's in full on fire-elemental mode, he's immune to bullets somehow. He says it's to melt them, but he's not injured by the supersonic globs of molten metal that would leave behind and he's an idiot.

thatbastardken posted:

Or if the dam breaches from having a fire inside it (somehow?) he'd drown probably.

I like how everyone's so worried he'll ignite all that flammable damp concrete around them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I guess there's a risk of a steam explosion or something? Maybe?

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Not sure if this is supposed to be Moonshadow's interpretation or your actual reading, but for the latter Furnace didn't ACTUALLY go so far as to call the victims innocent. Everything he said except the MRA chunk wasn't actually wrong, he was just a huge rear end in a top hat and hypocrite about it. Moonshadow WAS picking targets in the news, which meant as long as she was at large public accusations that made the news WERE in effective going "hey invisible slasher extrajudicially kill this dude" and soliciting murder is in fact a crime. Huge hypocrisy for the extrajudicial killer to complain about, massive rear end in a top hat about the whole thing, but not strictly speaking wrong (except, again, for the MRA spiel.)

More like a vague recollection of what Furnace was saying because I REALLY cannot be assed to read through that much text on a single page. Still, fair enough points. I was just trying to convey why Mary's going through the whole song and dance, when slitting his throat at his father's grave would have been more effective, with less of a risk of Mega Girl fuckery. I mean, a reason other than the obvious meta-narrative reason to get Allison to lecture Mary into being a better person, or whatever.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Check Clevin's dialogue, but also the newspaper article in the bottom middle panel.

Well gently caress me, I sure missed that part. Consider my speculative conjecture regarding Miles' moral character rescinded.

RE all the morality talk: I have to agree with idonotlikepeas. In that it's an excellent question that the story is asking, that the answers are varied, and that it's a discussion worth having. Personally speaking the only time a crime ought to be a capital offense is one wherein the perpetrator has done it multiple times, or basically anything that is pre-meditated murder. There are definitely some dangerous people that you can't really run the risk of rehabilitation with, especially when failure means the harm and/or death of innocent people. My only real criticism regarding this chapter is that we've been dancing around the issue while Allison breaks up with Patrick, tries to figure out what doing Real Good actually entails, the death of her dog, Pintsize being sad, etc. I'm all for layered stories, but it's kind of a lot to keep track of.

Which I mean, hey, it's not THAT BIG of a problem, and it's not like I expect amateur storytellers to hit it out of the park on their first try. It can just be hard to retain all the important details as the plot gets interrupted for something that is relevant to the overall message, but detracting from the current story. But then, that might be more of a problem for anyone who's archive reading? I'll admit, I didn't pick this one up until a week ago, so I imagine my experience in reading it in large chunks will be different than people who have been reading it as it updates. All I know is that we've been dealing with about 150 pages of heavy-handed Rape Culture Is Bad, OK? and I'm ready for the inevitable Yes, But You Can't Murder Your Way Into A Utopia conclusion.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think a big part of why Moonshadow kidnapped furnace instead of just killing him in the graveyard relates to her escalation of things. She's been killing rapists for a while. It's only recently that she decided to make it clear that a)the victims are rapists and b) the victims are in fact murder victims. Then Furnace went on TV and voiced the conservative opinion, that (false) rape accusers are worse than rapists. (Here I have to stress that this was not a straw man or horrible exaggeration. Lots of people fully believe this. Look at the comments in r/news for any rape related story.) Moreover, he lent it the threat of superhuman violence, counterbalancing Moonshadow's efforts. I think that Moonshadow is striking back not just because she wants to kill Furnace, but because she wants a tape of the guy confessing to rape and then being murderated.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Then Furnace went on TV and voiced the conservative opinion, that (false) rape accusers are worse than rapists.

Again, not actually what he said. I mean he probably does vaguely believe this given the MRA rant he added in but what he actually said was that while The Slasher was at large, making public accusations about rape is basically accessory to murder.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cryophage posted:

I like how everyone's so worried he'll ignite all that flammable damp concrete around them.

The problem isn't igniting it, it's causing enough structural damage that the dam can no longer withstand the enormous water pressure that's on one side of it. Just causing a few small creases can be enough to bring the whole thing down.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Cryophage posted:

Even if you neglect the fact that she has no way to be 100% sure if her victims are guilty ,the big problem with this is that you (or rather, Moonshadow) assume that the only way to prevent the Dread Rapist from striking again is to slit his throat in the street.

You absolutely must get this guy off the street? Frame him for another crime! Rob a bank while disguised as him with your magic illusion powers that nobody even knows you have.

Or better yet, use some of that social capital you've saved up by being a national hero for a decade and bring the story to the national stage; sic the public on them. While you're up there in the public eye, maybe even try starting a public discourse on rape culture?

That's difficult and boring. She's killing for fun with the side bonus of having dubious moral superiority about it. She wouldn't bother setting up elaborate traps for military units and then pontificate while carving up a dude's back if she actually cared about the starfish.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

jsoh posted:

pretty sure shes not trying to stop rape here. shes punishing people. totally different goal

She's a psychopath with a target profile.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Cat Mattress posted:

The problem isn't igniting it, it's causing enough structural damage that the dam can no longer withstand the enormous water pressure that's on one side of it. Just causing a few small creases can be enough to bring the whole thing down.

Eh, he wasn't even able to blast down a house earlier this chapter, I think a reinforced concrete structure can take him.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

het fuel cant melt steel beams

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Well, fire can make wet concrete explode. I would think dams would have precautions against that, but maybe not enough to deal with superpower flames?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rei_ posted:

In honor of this post let's spend the next page trying very hard to find nice things to say about the comic.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Rand Brittain posted:

In honor of this post let's spend the next page trying very hard to find nice things to say about the comic.

the art's pretty dang good, visually diverse cast, always comes out on time or at least gets delayed with big obvious warning, interesting setting conceits

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rand Brittain posted:

I am still a fan of this comic.

Rei_ posted:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Basically everything that isn't this chapter has been great, and really the writer just needs an editor to keep him on task.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

thatbastardken posted:

the writer just needs an editor to keep him on task.

This.
There's nothing that's been wrong about this chapter in any sense that can't be directly traced back to the above.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
As far as this chapter goes, Paladin and her reinterpretations of myths were pretty great. We got monologues out of her too, but not only did they actually go somewhere instead of twisting in circles, they were presented in a visually interesting way that helped keep things engaging.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think the little bit with Furnace and the doctor who is kind of his friend and him talking at his mother's grave did a lot to humanize what was otherwise a wholly forgettable character.

I thought the idea of Mary going for a surprise throat slit on Alison was hilarious.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Rei_ posted:

I like Mary's powers, and the clever ways that we've seen her use them! :shobon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I liked it when Wolverine decided to donate his organs.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SynthOrange posted:

I liked it when Wolverine decided to donate his organs.

Hell yes. That was the best.

(Seriously - just stick a big knife in her spine for the duration of the extractions instead of chemical anesthesia!)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:laffo:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Jesus loving christ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yaaaay

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Drugging an angry exploding man and getting him mad inside a dam was the best plan.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Now we find out if Furnace is dumb enough to go super nova under a dam.
I believe the answer will be 'yes'.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip everybody in the path of that

good work assholes

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Can Furnace evaporate the damfull of water fast enough, or will he drown/steamboil himself.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Furnace is dead, Mary is probably dead, Allison is going to get the blame for wrecking the dam.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
More like Furnace is dead, Alison saves Mary from the explosion, Mary then gives Alison the slip because of mirage illusions, Allison left wondering if she did the right thing, single panel of Mary looking back before fading away into the darkness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
het fuel was more powerful than we could have believed

Meanwhile, I don't think Allison is going to take the blame for the dam, because part of the theme is that she's incredibly, ridiculously privileged. Even if some people think she did it the official story will probably be that some random Arabic-looking person who was seen a mile away did it.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

het fuel was more powerful than we could have believed

Meanwhile, I don't think Allison is going to take the blame for the dam, because part of the theme is that she's incredibly, ridiculously privileged. Even if some people think she did it the official story will probably be that some random Arabic-looking person who was seen a mile away did it.

Allison will then helpfully inform them how they are doing it wrong.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I am incredibly disappointed with this 'twist'

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welp.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I am incredibly disappointed with this 'twist'

I get this sinking feeling it's little more than the writer thinking "How do I make Moonshadow look like the victim after becoming a serial killer?" and their best idea was "Have Furnace blow up a dam."

EDIT: And she's STILL at fault because she's the one who drugged him, dragged him there, strapped a bomb to him, and then planned to kill him the second anyone tried to save him!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Classtoise posted:

I get this sinking feeling it's little more than the writer thinking "How do I make Moonshadow look like the victim after becoming a serial killer?" and their best idea was "Have Furnace blow up a dam."

EDIT: And she's STILL at fault because she's the one who drugged him, dragged him there, strapped a bomb to him, and then planned to kill him the second anyone tried to save him!

She didn't do that last part, or she would've slit his throat the second Alison showed up. But yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have no idea what Mary's plan was once Alison arrived, if she had one at all. She was ok with slashing Furnace at that point (although I am not sure what the intent was there). If Alison hadn't thrown Furnace up onto the platform, wouldn't the giant electric cable have killed him? Either by electrocuting him or setting off his vest or triggering his power and setting off the vest? Her position is hard to place, because she definitely set this whole thing up willing/planning to kill him and was reckless with his life right up until the bomb was actually going to go off. I mean I guess she is kind of crazy so maybe there just isn't going to be a predictable path here.

• Locked thread