Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kanthulhu posted:

That's gay.

didn't realize new page, but i am confident whatever will be discussed will be very gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
More handsomeness chat?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Intel&Sebastian posted:

- Dodson is considering a 135 run once he's fully rehabbed (which will be soon)

not cool, Mighty Mouse genuinely doesn't want to fight Dodson so that means they need to rematch ASAP

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Team Alpha Male: I'm sick of people saying our aesthetic is gay. ENough pink lips and computer added blush on our cheeks. We're going to represent ourselves with the least gay thing there is: the movie fight club.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

He does make a really good foil for Mighty Mouse. He's also pretty much the only guy who can match his speed.

Dodson did pretty well too, he gassed really bad in the fourth and fifth though to be fair Might Mouse was working the body a little bit, but he managed to drop the champ I think two or three times.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Snowman_McK posted:

More handsomeness chat?

I am hereby putting forward Erick Silva as a handsomeness canon prospect

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I am hereby putting forward Erick Silva as a handsomeness canon prospect

My straight female ufc-watching friend likes Erik Silva and TJ the best. There's one other who I can't remember offhand.

My mma lesbro loves Tecia Torres and Leslie Smith

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bahahah

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Dodson did pretty well too, he gassed really bad in the fourth and fifth though to be fair Might Mouse was working the body a little bit, but he managed to drop the champ I think two or three times.

He did. The Mouse bounced straight back to his feet, because he seems to actually be made of rubber. Mighty Mouse wore him down and contained him by the end of the fight, but even the last two were really competitive. That whole event was pretty drat good, actually.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowman_McK posted:

He did. The Mouse bounced straight back to his feet, because he seems to actually be made of rubber. Mighty Mouse wore him down and contained him by the end of the fight, but even the last two were really competitive. That whole event was pretty drat good, actually.

My theory is that MM's neck muscles are so strong that when Dodson punched him he was able to bring his whole fw body along for the ride and there was no neck snapping. Full body rolling with the punches..

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah that fight was super good, and Dodson looked really good and competitive for most of it. It's just that when Demetrious took over towards the end, it was such a one sided rear end kicking that that's what most people probably remember when they think of the fight.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I scored it for Dodson. Wee

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

I scored it for Dodson. Wee

This isn't unreasonable, iirc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I thought at the time it was pretty justifiable for it to go either way. I expect there's been less controversy about it than there has been many decisions because people tend to get less agitated when the guy who got the decision is the guy that was kicking rear end in the last round.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

I thought at the time it was pretty justifiable for it to go either way. I expect there's been less controversy about it than there has been many decisions because people tend to get less agitated when the guy who got the decision is the guy that was kicking rear end in the last round.

That's an interesting theory, though the most recent controversial title fight decision I can think of flies in the face of that (Hendricks Lawler II).

I thought the fight was close but that Mighty Mouse won the fight like 2.6 rounds to 2.4, but a. I like Mighty Mouse and dislike Dodson so that probably biased my opinion, and b. I am bad at scoring fights in general and am even worse at doing so live I've found

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i do this thing where i just watch the dudes wallop each other and don't score it because i am not a judge. you might enjoy give it a try :)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I just hope that everybody gets home safely to hug and kiss their families goodnight :)

Thrawn
Sep 10, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

- Erick Silva says his septum surgery gave him the win

Erick Silva is taking his mastery of the Brazilian Excuse to a new plane

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Didn't Dodson drop Mighty Mouse twice? I need to rewatch that fight, haven't watched it since it happened.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Keg posted:

I just hope that everybody gets home safely to hug and kiss their families goodnight :)

coleman fights best fights dad of forever

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Keg posted:

Even you, Jon Bones Jones.

Happy Holidays PSP Bros.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I hope that Jon Jones enjoys a delicious egg nog and then some coffee and Baileys before nuzzling his face into a cushy driver's side airbag and has a very good night's sleep

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I genuinely hope all fighters (including those that are dislikable) remain healthy so that I may watch them bludgeon each other in a cage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

With both Cruz and Cain out already, there's a strong chance that 2015 will remain entirely injury free!

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

CommonShore posted:

With both Cruz and Cain out already, there's a strong chance that 2015 will remain entirely injury free!

There is like no chance that Pettis doesn't injure himself over the course of 12 months

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keg posted:

I hope that Jon Jones enjoys a delicious egg nog and then some coffee and Baileys before nuzzling his face into a cushy driver's side airbag and has a very good night's sleep

I disapprove of these hopes, on behalf of myself and my relatives

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

The ending really does influence your memory of the whole. I rewatched MacDonald/Barao recently and was really surprised that it was so close for the first two and half rounds. Michael hit Barao with some really goddamn good shots, before gassing, messing up his timing to his combos, gassing further and getting finished. I just remembered him losing the entire fight.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Snowman_McK posted:

The ending really does influence your memory of the whole. I rewatched MacDonald/Barao recently and was really surprised that it was so close for the first two and half rounds. Michael hit Barao with some really goddamn good shots, before gassing, messing up his timing to his combos, gassing further and getting finished. I just remembered him losing the entire fight.

I remember him nearly Travis Browneing his way to a KO when Barao shot in. I also remember him spamming the same combination over and over again even when Barao figured it out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I read somewhere that if you watch something for a period of time like a round or a fight, and then are asked to describe it afterwards, the majority of the time the only things that get described are the one thing that was most notable during the time period, and whatever happened at the end. So I guess the best formula for winning rounds is get one flashy moment in at some point, and then win the last 30 seconds.

gently caress Sugar Ray Leonard

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I remember that fight only being two rounds

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

I read somewhere that if you watch something for a period of time like a round or a fight, and then are asked to describe it afterwards, the majority of the time the only things that get described are the one thing that was most notable during the time period, and whatever happened at the end. So I guess the best formula for winning rounds is get one flashy moment in at some point, and then win the last 30 seconds.

gently caress Sugar Ray Leonard

Also Greg Jackson. I've been amazed how many fights my memory had completely wrong. I remembered Machida/Ortiz being competitive, probably due to that nearly, sorta triangle choke in the third. The rest of the fight was Machida punching Tito, getting out of his way, then punching him some more. It looked like Ortiz had sent over a list of everything he was going to try. drat Machida's a beast.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Also Greg Jackson. I've been amazed how many fights my memory had completely wrong. I remembered Machida/Ortiz being competitive, probably due to that nearly, sorta triangle choke in the third. The rest of the fight was Machida punching Tito, getting out of his way, then punching him some more. It looked like Ortiz had sent over a list of everything he was going to try. drat Machida's a beast.

My favorite part of that fight was when Machida took him down with a bodylock because Ortiz's feet flew into the air like gravity'd been reversed

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

2016 about to roll and ...

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Team Alpha Male: I'm sick of people saying our aesthetic is gay. ENough pink lips and computer added blush on our cheeks. We're going to represent ourselves with the least gay thing there is: the movie 300.

UFC uploaded Rich Franklin vs Silva and holy poo poo that thai clinch destruction.He rebuilt the nose of Franklin in his own terms.Was it the first time the thai clinch was used in an UFC fight?.Because Franklin looked completely unprepared to deal with it.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 24, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It seems that someone glossed over the Hendo story about what happened when Joe Rogan was at a comedy show getting heckled and Hendo was there. If no one has it actually copied somewhere I'll muddle through it from memory.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Captain Log posted:

It seems that someone glossed over the Hendo story about what happened when Joe Rogan was at a comedy show getting heckled and Hendo was there. If no one has it actually copied somewhere I'll muddle through it from memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjHCLcNDQqI&t=4225s

Although I think it was in the CM Punk thread that people were talking about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

My favorite part of that fight was when Machida took him down with a bodylock because Ortiz's feet flew into the air like gravity'd been reversed

There's a lot of favourite parts to that fight. As someone here said, fighters come and go, careers have ups and downs and fortune is unpredictable, but laughing at Tito Ortiz is forever. Except that brief period after the Bader fight where we were cheering him on.
Merry Xmas, gang.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lamadrid posted:

2016 about to roll and ...

UFC uploaded Rich Franklin vs Silva and holy poo poo that thai clinch destruction.He rebuilt the nose of Franklin in his own terms.Was it the first time the thai clinch was used in an UFC fight?.Because Franklin looked completely unprepared to deal with it.

Nowhere near the first. Wanderlei knocked someone out with plum knees at ufc 20. In fact, clinch/plum knees are so common in early UFC that it makes me wonder exactly how Rich was so unprepared for them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The same way Rich is unprepared for discussions of evolutionary biology.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a lot of favourite parts to that fight. As someone here said, fighters come and go, careers have ups and downs and fortune is unpredictable, but laughing at Tito Ortiz is forever.

:ortiz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Nowhere near the first. Wanderlei knocked someone out with plum knees at ufc 20. In fact, clinch/plum knees are so common in early UFC that it makes me wonder exactly how Rich was so unprepared for them.

Could it have been that Andy was really good? I remember Franklin talking about how hard he trained his clinch work for the rematch, then he got trounced almost as badly.

• Locked thread