Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Straight up spandex wouldn't fly, yeah.

Going the opposite route isn't the best choice either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

So literally no change whatsoever I'm sure that would go over amazingly in 2016 thanks noted forums idiot boom boom boom

Are you ok, dude? First Blue Beetle, now Power Rangers costumes, you're coming across as really angry and hostile.

Burkion posted:

It flies in Japan twice a year

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

The other problem I have right now is were viewing these suits in a vacuum, we have no idea of the aesthetics of the rest of the movie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

It flies in Japan twice a year

Check a map

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The other problem I have right now is were viewing these suits in a vacuum, we have no idea of the aesthetics of the rest of the movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You can criticize something without being able to create your own.

I don't think a Power Rangers movie, especially not as an attempt to get Marvel money, and they're dumb for trying. Everything good about it was either just good for a kid in the 90's and not for an adult moviegoer in 2016 or was lifted directly from a different show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acne Rain posted:

Good thing I wasn't pulling a kevin smith then and was instead trying to encourage actual discussion instead of "I like it" "I don't" boring bullshit

Jesus Christ

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Acne Rain posted:

I don't think a Power Rangers movie, especially not as an attempt to get Marvel money, and they're dumb for trying. Everything good about it was either just good for a kid in the 90's and not for an adult moviegoer in 2016 or was lifted directly from a different show.

Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to. If you're making a Power Rangers movie with a target age range in the double digits, you've already hosed up

Good thing I wasn't pulling a kevin smith then and was instead trying to encourage actual discussion instead of "I like it" "I don't" boring bullshit

Jesus Christ

I gave pretty clear reasons why I didn't like the new movie suits, I thought.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to. If you're making a Power Rangers movie with a target age range in the double digits, you've already hosed up

I gave pretty clear reasons why I didn't like the new movie suits, I thought.

So you're still retarded cool

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That's all I can really judge though.

The suits are what we have been given, they and Rita's armor, and both point to over designed chaotic nonsense.

Again, I want to stress this- I am not writing them off entirely until I see them in post production. They could fix a lot of my problems with them very easily there.

Almost anything looks like poo poo when taken out of context and especially when unfinished, which this very much is. That's why I wasn't sounding the alarm and screaming at the top of my lungs about how awful they were when they first showed up a few days ago.

I'm not happy with what I see, but I want to know what they will really look like when all is said and done.

And no spandex would not work on a big screen. Too flat, too untextured, too cheap looking. Striking a balance is difficult though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'd do spandax, but I'd also make the movie about five multicolored deadpools.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I am confident the movie will be bad because Saban is involved.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

That's all I can really judge though.

The suits are what we have been given, they and Rita's armor, and both point to over designed chaotic nonsense.

Again, I want to stress this- I am not writing them off entirely until I see them in post production. They could fix a lot of my problems with them very easily there.

Almost anything looks like poo poo when taken out of context and especially when unfinished, which this very much is. That's why I wasn't sounding the alarm and screaming at the top of my lungs about how awful they were when they first showed up a few days ago.

I'm not happy with what I see, but I want to know what they will really look like when all is said and done.

And no spandex would not work on a big screen. Too flat, too untextured, too cheap looking. Striking a balance is difficult though.

I think my biggest thing is not just that they haven't had work done in post but that were entirely devoid of context to explain it or the aesthetics of everything else to help make it look....right? gently caress that's a hard one to explain

Basically I'm reserving final judgment until there's a trailer so we can see them in motion with post production and other things around them to contextualize the design

And yeah straight spandex would look like dogshit. There's a reason superhero movies don't do it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

I am confident the movie will be bad because Saban is involved.

This is totally fair and I say this without sarcasm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I think my biggest thing is not just that they haven't had work done in post but that were entirely devoid of context to explain it or the aesthetics of everything else to help make it look....right? gently caress that's a hard one to explain

Basically I'm reserving final judgment until there's a trailer so we can see them in motion with post production and other things around them to contextualize the design

And yeah straight spandex would look like dogshit. There's a reason superhero movies don't do it

I can respect all of that. The only thing I think is straight up a bad idea is the morpher and its placement. I know/hope that the center will be dolled up with CGI, but the gray blends in too much with the gray of the belly.

I really wish they just gave them belts or something like a belt.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

So you're still retarded cool

Which of the two points in that post I made are you responding to? Do you think I didn't clearly explain why I thought the suit was bad, or do you think it's a good idea to make a Power Rangers movie aimed at teens and adults?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Which of the two points in that post I made are you responding to? Do you think I didn't clearly explain why I thought the suit was bad, or do you think it's a good idea to make a Power Rangers movie aimed at teens and adults?

I think you're dumb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I can respect all of that. The only thing I think is straight up a bad idea is the morpher and its placement. I know/hope that the center will be dolled up with CGI, but the gray blends in too much with the gray of the belly.

I really wish they just gave them belts or something like a belt.

Belts would be fine. I like belts, they serve to break up flat planes of color really well. It's the reason I'm mad at DC for doing away trunks on batman/superman

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I think you're dumb

Oh sure, no argument there.

Those suits are really terrible, tho. In that first pic released, with all the effects added they looked bad. And they look bad on the set pre post-production. I really don't think movement will save them. Especially with those giant kneepads, I bet those'll goofy when we see them run

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Oh sure, no argument there.

Those suits are really terrible, tho. In that first pic released, with all the effects added they looked bad. And they look bad on the set pre post-production. I really don't think movement will save them. Especially with those giant kneepads, I bet those'll goofy when we see them run

The first pic is super photoshopped and no poo poo they look bad before post production

You also think they should just do spandex tho so lmao

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The first pic is super photoshopped and no poo poo they look bad before post production

You also think they should just do spandex tho so lmao

It worked in Power Rangers 20 years ago, It's working in Power Rangers: Whatever Force right now, and it works in theatrically released Power Rangers movies twice a year in Japan.

I don't understand why you think the kids who're watching the currently airing Power Rangers would reject the exact same costumes in a movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

It worked in Power Rangers 20 years ago, It's working in Power Rangers: Whatever Force right now, and it works in theatrically released Power Rangers movies twice a year in Japan.

I don't understand why you think the kids who're watching the currently airing Power Rangers would reject the exact same costumes in a movie.

First and foremost let's clear up one big thing right now- unless I'm mistaken, you do know that V-Cinema in Japan is not what we consider theatrical releases, right?

Like, you understand that they are not equivalent. I want to make this clear

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

I don't understand why you're stamping your feet about Japan or why you seem to have the mental faculties of a garden slug but here we are

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

First and foremost let's clear up one big thing right now- unless I'm mistaken, you do know that V-Cinema in Japan is not what we consider theatrical releases, right?

Actually please elaborate on this because I thought the Rider/Sentai movies were actual theatrical releases!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

What do you mean? Because I watched the Kamen Rider x Super Sentai movie in a regular movie theater in Japan.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I don't understand why you're stamping your feet about Japan or why you seem to have the mental faculties of a garden slug but here we are

Ok, calm down, dude. I'm not stamping my feet, I'm not insulting you, I'm disagreeing with you. It's ok for people to disagree here. We're just talking about movies and TV shows for elementary schoolers, there's no need to get mad or throw around insults

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Actually please elaborate on this because I thought the Rider/Sentai movies were actual theatrical releases!

I could be wrong on this, but I'm PRETTY sure that the annual Super Sentai films that he is specifically mentioning are V-Cinema releases.

V-Cinema is a specific thing in Japan that, basically, amounts to 'Made for TV Movies'. They do not count towards the box office, and are not in any way considered that big a deal. They are direct to video for Japan, just more glamorous and some times they get to play in smaller, more niche theaters.

Like, the original Ju-On, the one you likely never heard of, (well not the original original, but the one that matters) was a V-Cinema thing that got remade/sequalized into an actual theatrical movie that everyone knows about, that then got remade into the Grudge.

All of the Super Sentai movies are V-Cinema. Kamen Rider tends to get theatrical releases, but those aren't much more prioritized and generally do bottom of the barrel for box office with few exceptions.

If Super Sentai was to get a big theatrical version of their stories in any way in Japan, chances are that the suits would be changed to match that. Kamen Rider the First is one big example. Ultraman the Next is as well. Both show what Japan would do if they were actually to make a big budget toku movie.

EDIT- To further emphasize, Kamen Rider gets a pass generally because it is, usually, aimed at older audiences and has a stronger nostalgia draw to it thanks to the older Riders being far more iconic.

Sentai only ever gets into theatrical films due crossing over with Rider.

And not all Rider stuff goes to theaters either. The personal side story stuff, like the Gaim Gaidens and the like, are all V-Cinema.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 28, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Of the three movies with "Shuriken Sentai Ninninger" in the title, two of them got theatrical releases

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Shuriken_Sentai_Ninninger_The_Movie:_The_Dinosaur_Lord%27s_Splendid_Ninja_Scroll!
http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Shuriken_Sentai_Ninninger_vs._ToQger_The_Movie:_Ninjas_in_Wonderland
http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Come_Back!_Shuriken_Sentai_Ninninger:_Ninnin_Girls_vs._Boys_FINAL_WARS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That's still not great and I can show you why.

If you look, you'll find that each of the ones that do get released theatrically are a double bill with Kamen Rider movies. And none of them are their own thing- all of the Sentai movies have been just specials from the TV series with a budget to match that.

If they were to make a full on Super Sentai movie retelling, say, Go-Ranger, you'd get a similar deal to what's going on here with MMPR.

You're only ever going to see a VS movie if you watch the show, and the returns from the box office reflects that. That will not fly on a 'real' movie, no matter where it's made.

Again, you can look towards Ultraman the Next and Kamen Rider the First for examples of this.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What show airs right before or after Power Rangers that they could do a double bill movie with?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

What show airs right before or after Power Rangers that they could do a double bill movie with?

Here's the better question that you're missing the point of

Why would they change the suits of the Sentai team that the movie is specifically about and in continuity with?

Here's a history lesson for you for Japanese Theatrical Toku Bullshit that goes across the pond to America as well.

You make an honest to God Toku Movie that isn't just an advertisement for the current series or meant to tie directly into the continuity of the franchise as a whole?

You change the suits because simple spandex does not look good on the big screen, and in fact looks as cheap as it literally is. You want your movie to look good so you make your suits look better. Even if you shoot for the same kind of tone and are basically doing a remake, you do that.

Examples- Kamen Rider Shin, Mighty Moprhin' Power Rangers The Movie, Ultraman the Next- Which, notably, looks entirely different than Nexus despite being in the same continuity because the Next was meant to stand on its own as a solo film- Kamen Rider the First and the Next

Gatchaman if you want to stretch it

Movies that are much lower budgeted affairs, and do tie directly into the continuity of the show- Every Super Sentai Movie Ever, Power Rangers Turbo the Movie, and the Superior 8 Ultra Brothers.

There's a gigantic reason why Power Rangers Turbo made 9 million world wide while MMPR The Movie made 36 million, and it's not Justin. One was MADE to be a real theatrical movie, the other was loving Turbo.

Furthering that, the budget for Turbo the movie was only 8 million. MMPR:TM was 15 million.

This is the reality of the theatrical world.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Even if you don't want to make the suits out of spandex there are tons of materials that superhero movies have used ofer the last few decades that give a similar look without being as "cheap" Also the alien look is dumb because in power rangers Zordon Found the power coins on earth :colbert:

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Easy way to know theatrical vs. V-Cinema: If it gets previewed in the OP of the show, it's theatrical. If it comes out after the show ends (especially if it has "Returns" or "X Years After" in the title), it's a direct-to-video V-Cinema release.

The summer Rider and Sentai movies are released theatrically as a double bill, since combined they run about an hour and a half or so. The winter teamups are released standalone, with Rider in December and Sentai in January.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

There's a gigantic reason why Power Rangers Turbo made 9 million world wide while MMPR The Movie made 36 million, and it's not Justin. One was MADE to be a real theatrical movie, the other was loving Turbo.

Furthering that, the budget for Turbo the movie was only 8 million. MMPR:TM was 15 million.

This is the reality of the theatrical world.

Where are you getting your numbers from, IMDB has the Turbo budget at 3.3 million

I don't know how to do math, but that doesn't seem like a bad return on investment.

OZC posted:

Easy way to know theatrical vs. V-Cinema: If it gets previewed in the OP of the show, it's theatrical. If it comes out after the show ends (especially if it has "Returns" or "X Years After" in the title), it's a direct-to-video V-Cinema release.

The summer Rider and Sentai movies are released theatrically as a double bill, since combined they run about an hour and a half or so. The winter teamups are released standalone, with Rider in December and Sentai in January.

You're right, I should've looked harder at my own sources. There are stand-alone Sentai movies released theatrically in Japan every year

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

That's still not great and I can show you why.

If you look, you'll find that each of the ones that do get released theatrically are a double bill with Kamen Rider movies. And none of them are their own thing- all of the Sentai movies have been just specials from the TV series with a budget to match that.

If they were to make a full on Super Sentai movie retelling, say, Go-Ranger, you'd get a similar deal to what's going on here with MMPR.

You're only ever going to see a VS movie if you watch the show, and the returns from the box office reflects that. That will not fly on a 'real' movie, no matter where it's made.

Again, you can look towards Ultraman the Next and Kamen Rider the First for examples of this.

This said though, they are still theatrical releases that are in addition to the V-Cinema ones. They basically carpet bomb kids with toku movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

Where are you getting your numbers from, IMDB has the Turbo budget at 3.3 million

I don't know how to do math, but that doesn't seem like a bad return on investment.

The actual Turbo budget is kind of undefined. The general Google answer is 8 million, the Box Office Mojo answer is Unknown, and IMDB is, as you said, 3.3 million

Regardless, only earning 9 million across the entire world is atrocious, especially in comparison to MMPR TM.

And the rumored budget for 2017 Power Rangers is 150 million because that's how much it costs to make a movie now. You do not throw that kind of money at a film and keep spandex, which objectively looks cheap because it is cheap and would negatively impact the film, especially if you have no reason to keep spandex.

If Sentai, again, was going to make a movie that wasn't just "We're cashing in cheaply and quickly on the current thing" it would require the look to change considerably.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Simmer down now gents.

No need to get uptight about tights.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://jii.moe/41b1oXM7b.webm
carranger is art
https://jii.moe/N1MgiXGX-.webm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carranger is perhaps the best sentai. It's so goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like Dairanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4u6liWpBE

• Locked thread