Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

quote:

The series will introduce a system dubbed "attack mode" or "Mario Kart mode" in which drivers will receive an additional 25 kW of power by driving through a designated area of the circuit off the racing line. The duration of the boost mode and the number of boosts available will be decided in advance of a race by the FIA to stop teams from anticipating its use and incorporating it into race strategy

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah it's whatever but yet again probably doesn't matter due to energy limits thanks to battery power. It will get used a couple times and then drivers will forget about it.

Then again f1 has loving push to pass DRS zones lol

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Everything posted since my last post just furthers my point that this is a loving retarded series.

Between this and pushing women into a loving barbie series to support it, how the hell is anyone taking this seriously?

God drat I can't wait for January.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If you don't like FE you are free to not watch it :shrug:

What a shitshow today has been so far, its truely what we deserve for a race in Saudi Arabia

Oh wow its Wayne Rooney - car go fast vroom

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Please shut the gently caress up with edgelord complaints about Formula E. You’re an edgelord and you don’t like new things, we get it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
How do I cause vernon kay to no longer exist

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The dust :stare:

Figrures with the wet track and no dry running to clean it since shakedown

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This race hasn't exactly been a showcase for attack mode so far, the activation zone being in a spot where to hit it you basically need to bunch everyone up on the preceding corner feels dumb considering all the examples we've seen leading into the season have been taking the long route around a corner. It makes me ask the question of "why can we not just have a push to pass system?" Especially given that Stock Car Brasil took on a similar system to Fanboost where the winner of a fan vote gets an additional P2P use.

Also shoutout to JEV big dicking it round the outside of Da Costa.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Congrats to Massa for winning every single fan boost vote for the 18/19 season

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Oh gently caress off, what absolute bullshit penalties

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OK I'm very hopeful that people going for the attack mode zone and missing it is going to be a trend of this season because that was pretty funny.

E: Twice! Someone should probably tell Lopez where the zone is.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Dunno what the gently caress’s going on but Fox Sports 2 decided to show some soccer bullshit instead of quali, and the race started 25 minutes in. So I guess I’m illegally downloading it later.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I didn't do my homework before watching that and was more than a little lost for a while. Good to see the F1 lads showing their credentials

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

drgitlin posted:

Please shut the gently caress up with edgelord complaints about Formula E. You’re an edgelord and you don’t like new things, we get it.

It has nothing to do with being an edge lord who doesn't like new things, you lovely wannabe journalist on a tech site who drives an ancient Saab while bragging about draving lambos.

I'd love, LOVE, if an actual electric series existed without poo poo rear end gimmicks to try and make it loving legitimate. But it doesn't. It's a series full of Hope's and dreams with hook nose tubs and bad tires that can't run a loving race on any track for any other car.

Electric motocross bikes loving rock. I'm buying one in the next few months. Electric scooters are awesome. Electric motorcycles will make for interesting racing. Wannabe spec racers in lovely cars on lovely tires on lovely tracks does not make an interesting series, you lovely self important wannabe gatekeeping gently caress.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iwentdoodie posted:

It has nothing to do with being an edge lord who doesn't like new things, you lovely wannabe journalist on a tech site who drives an ancient Saab while bragging about draving lambos.

I'd love, LOVE, if an actual electric series existed without poo poo rear end gimmicks to try and make it loving legitimate. But it doesn't. It's a series full of Hope's and dreams with hook nose tubs and bad tires that can't run a loving race on any track for any other car.

Electric motocross bikes loving rock. I'm buying one in the next few months. Electric scooters are awesome. Electric motorcycles will make for interesting racing. Wannabe spec racers in lovely cars on lovely tires on lovely tracks does not make an interesting series, you lovely self important wannabe gatekeeping gently caress.

:chloe:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Hey guys did anyo :yikes:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

drgitlin posted:

Dunno what the gently caress’s going on but Fox Sports 2 decided to show some soccer bullshit instead of quali, and the race started 25 minutes in. So I guess I’m illegally downloading it later.

It's on YouTube, not geoblocked

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lemme jump in the middle of the drama with somethin cool, found some pictures of my dad in 1976 workin on F5000.

He left Vel's in 1975 cause he was a hippy and wanted to be more "low key" than the corporate megateam. He scraped up some money with his partner Skeeter McKitterick and they bought Vel's Lola T-332 that they ran for Mario the prior year. The Lola's in Vel's glory, 1-2 on the grid at Laguna with my dad clearing in the background:

He sweet talked Cliff Tufte, the founder/owner of Road America, into letting him use "the shed" by the Road America track entrance as a shop all summer. He and my mom worked on/ran the car with just the two of them outta this no AC shed (lol):

Painted the car a very awesome 70s 2 tone blue with red pinstripe:

Funds were, uh, short... so heres the pitequipment baby:

The cars are complete death traps. Tiny tube frame and 5L, iron block V8s with insane power. Some more pics:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cygni posted:

lemme jump in the middle of the drama with somethin cool, found some pictures of my dad in 1976 workin on F5000.

He left Vel's in 1975 cause he was a hippy and wanted to be more "low key" than the corporate megateam. He scraped up some money with his partner Skeeter McKitterick and they bought Vel's Lola T-332 that they ran for Mario the prior year. The Lola's in Vel's glory, 1-2 on the grid at Laguna with my dad clearing in the background:

He sweet talked Cliff Tufte, the founder/owner of Road America, into letting him use "the shed" by the Road America track entrance as a shop all summer. He and my mom worked on/ran the car with just the two of them outta this no AC shed (lol):

The cars are complete death traps. Tiny tube frame and 5L, iron block V8s with insane power. Some more pics:

good poo poo, OP

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

F5000 was amazing. Never stop posting.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://us.motorsport.com/jaguar-i-pace-etrophy/video/live-ad-diriyah-etrophy-race/378612/

Here's the replay of the support race to Formula E, the Jag I-Pace eTrophy

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is formula e still all spec everything and still running on road tyres with lovely rear end street circuits to appeal to an audience who is never going to be interested in any form of motorsport anyway?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Battery, chassis, aero, brakes, tires, suspension geometry is spec. Software, wheels (no brake ducts, so this is what drives brake cooling), motor, inverter, gearbox, dampers are open development now (since like season 2, I think).

The circuits have been getting better as the seasons go on, Rome is especially good, and Ad-Diriyah was pretty good today too. The tires still aren't great but they aren't great for everyone, so it's a nothingburger argument imo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Formula E is awesome because they got each driver to make videos like this that get played on the OSD when they crash:

https://twitter.com/drgitlin/status/1074042148654321666

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Is formula e still all spec everything and still running on road tyres with lovely rear end street circuits to appeal to an audience who is never going to be interested in any form of motorsport anyway?

The only thing still spec is the bodies and the tires at this point. Everything else can be modified, and every factory team runs their own drivetrain and motor. (they are limited to a specific power target however, of 200kw race, 250 qualifying (the teams get that goofy fanboost bullshit which amounts to 5s of +25kw, not used because it fucks up your power budget, and your lap where you use it cannot count for the fastest race lap, and the "attack zones" which are basically DRS push to pass except the teams and the drivers have nfi where those zones are prior to the race director announcing them between qualifying and the race, which leads to the drivers not using them, or using them poorly)

Its still got problems lol, battery technology still isn't at the point where you can produce a decent race distance yet. The new Saudi Arabian track for this year is only 2.495 km long, which is a bit over 1.55 miles. They need to be able to run 40+ laps at some place like Silverstone before they can be a real replacement for a race series.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 16, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

orange juche posted:

There's still problems with minor things, mostly fanboost and the attack zones, but the cars are fast enough and have endurance enough now they could probably run them at regular tracks with no issue, and they're running on the regular Monaco street track this year iirc.

From what I heard they killed that, sadly.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

drgitlin posted:

Formula E is awesome because they got each driver to make videos like this that get played on the OSD when they crash:

https://twitter.com/drgitlin/status/1074042148654321666

Massa's from the shakedown yesterday is pretty good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR26BqE9Kfo&t=358s

e: the race control message afterward is so deliciously passive-aggressive too. You don't get out of your car if it is safe to remain in it until the session is neutralized in FE

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That explains why it was "on the calendar" but the information was so sparse, apparently the date the FIA wants to visit Monaco with formula E conflicts with some other race weekend in Monaco.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
What I heard was they're still using the short variant. Obnoxious, since Formula E cars are small enough and race close enough to make racing at the full Monaco circuit more than a boring parade

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah, Jean Todt is a dickbag and overruled Agag on using the full F1 circuit.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

orange juche posted:

That explains why it was "on the calendar" but the information was so sparse, apparently the date the FIA wants to visit Monaco with formula E conflicts with some other race weekend in Monaco.

No. The Formula E race in Monaco is biennial and alternates with the historic GP. The race will take place as planned in 2019 but will use the same shortened track as two years ago.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, Jean Todt is a dickbag and overruled Agag on using the full F1 circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnaY0l4XsM&t=60s

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
In other news, FIA world rallycross has pretty much collapsed with all manufacturers withdrawing. The factory Ford Hoonigan team left last year, and Peugeot, Audi and Volkswagen have announced they will not be racing in 2019. Olsbergs MSE, the most competitive privateer will only support customers next year too. WRX is set to go fully electric in 2021, so some might come back then. In the meantime, I guess we can expect to se both Loeb and Solberg in rally cars, and the current champ Kristofferson in WTCC or DTM.

I wonder if that will have any consequences for the new american rallycross series that has the same organizer as WRX.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

The only thing still spec is the bodies and the tires at this point. Everything else can be modified, and every factory team runs their own drivetrain and motor. (they are limited to a specific power target however, of 200kw race, 250 qualifying (the teams get that goofy fanboost bullshit which amounts to 5s of +25kw, not used because it fucks up your power budget, and your lap where you use it cannot count for the fastest race lap, and the "attack zones" which are basically DRS push to pass except the teams and the drivers have nfi where those zones are prior to the race director announcing them between qualifying and the race, which leads to the drivers not using them, or using them poorly)

Its still got problems lol, battery technology still isn't at the point where you can produce a decent race distance yet. The new Saudi Arabian track for this year is only 2.495 km long, which is a bit over 1.55 miles. They need to be able to run 40+ laps at some place like Silverstone before they can be a real replacement for a race series.

Having a specific power target is lame, but I guess battery tech needs to catch up. I just want an electric racing series where people can just go nuts, it's just kinda funny to see all these big name manufacturers behind it but how many of them are gonna stick around if they have to actually spend money to make a fast electrc race car.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Having a specific power target is lame, but I guess battery tech needs to catch up. I just want an electric racing series where people can just go nuts, it's just kinda funny to see all these big name manufacturers behind it but how many of them are gonna stick around if they have to actually spend money to make a fast electrc race car.

2024/5 Le Mans, the next ruleset after the just-confirmed Hypercar class, should be when a hydrogen fuel cell prototype class comes to Le Mans and the WEC. If the technology is safe, then that could be a place where manufacturer budgets could and arguably should go buck wild. Would be tempting to Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, and possibly a few more OEMs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I mean without a power target limit you can go a hell of a lot faster, the problem with the racing isn't top speed capability because electric motors can probably push those cars way the gently caress faster than they do, but they run would run out of go juice.

Also re: hydrogen fuel cell cars, isn't hydrogen even less energy dense than batteries, which would mean you're even more limited than before?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Next year there's been rules put in place to allow a Fuel Cell powered Adess LMP3 (called H24) in the Michelin Le Mans Cup, the feeder series to the ELMS. Basically a Garage 56-lite

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Next year there's been rules put in place to allow a Fuel Cell powered Adess LMP3 (called H24) in the Michelin Le Mans Cup, the feeder series to the ELMS. Basically a Garage 56-lite

That’s the one that ran test laps at the Spa ELMS round. And is the one that is not so quietly helping prepare the ground for factory P1 efforts.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yup! From what I heard it had no lack of horsepower too, and completed a live pit stop as well, complete with refueling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'd say that's cool except the part where the hydrogen fuel cell is a dead-end technology