Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Man, I keep getting wiped at the party. I just can't do a good job of getting around without alerting all the eternalists. I've changed the music to kill one of them but it's in the centre of the dancefloor so I might try the beer approach instead.

I've been taking Shift and Aether, but might swap one of them out for Nexus to take out the visionaries on the roof in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you want to sneak I think Shift and Nexus are the general way to go, so try that. Nexus also helps you have options if things do go sideways and fighting breaks out.

I ended up just getting a shotgun and explosive rapier with Nexus and Havoc. Also got the trinket that gives you a charge attack that knocks back and almost always just kills the person you hit. I just shot up the whole place. It was honestly easier than sneaking in my opinion, but I also totally understand wanting to sneak around. I didn't find Aether very useful for anything other than PvP.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I am rocking the 'run into them and knock the gently caress over' trinket for sure. It's a lot of fun, especially punting people off cliffs.

I'd also take the option to swap out my Reprise slab for a third. Two is quite limiting, and I don't die all that much (except for at the party, apparently).

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 19, 2022

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I tried to stealth the party every goddamn time, but it was infuriating, one slip-up and the whole place goes on full alert. Then I'd mow them all down without any complication, which also solved the "who's the real one" problem, obviously.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah the party is insanely hard to do full stealth. It’s pretty safe and easy to hide on the rooftops and snipe everyone though

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yeah, I switched it up for the party. Took Nexus and Shift and went up to the rooftop and linked Egor, Wenjie and a couple of Externalists and killed them.

Then I got lost on the way to the music code (by the toilet) and alerted a load of people, ran to the rooftop, losing a couple of lives on the way, and decided to just die and loop to restart when I realised that...

the guy bearing down on me had two golden guns

Unloaded into him and just booked it for the exit. Game done.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Nice. I enjoyed killing him by using the switch to murder people telling bad jokes which I'm not sure how I would have found without seeing the achievement description, but drat it was cool.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Yeah, dropping Dorsey into the meatgrinder is basically free. In the left side window, door to the balcony overlooking the rear end in a top hat party, shift behind the sign and wait for a few minutes. Wenjie's a real short rooftop jaunt away, too. Nexus and a snipe. It's actually a bit weird how close to the entrance all three are, the whole back half of the manor has no purpose.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah that's kinda the theme of all the levels, so much areas and stuff that end up not mattering.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The party is a tremendous letdown, honestly, like, the concept of it is absolutely stuffed with potential, it's full of little moving parts that you can puzzle out and seemingly interfere with, it's... well, it's conceptually a Hitman stage, really, except all you have is a Splinter Cell toolkit. You can't infiltrate, disrupt or subvert any part of it, save for dumping Alexis in the grinder, which is done by way of an arbitrary button you can only access using total stealth, rather than however the standup show is supposed to reach and enact its verdicts (which is never accounted for). You can find out Alexis' secret music mix and make him dance, but then you still have to run out and shoot him and escape with the place on alert. This is to say nothing of taking out Wenjie and Egor, which is very much something that's just... there. The game constantly goes on at you about supposed clever ways to identify Alexis but literally nothing is more efficient, more interesting, or, frankly, more fun, than barging in and lighting the place up.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I remember killing him during the first loop by placing a turret in the courtyard, with him running ahead of the guests to get gunned down (all the guests died too). Also he's super easy to identify with his fany rare guns, also also I dunno if they patched that but of course the subtitles tell you when it's Alexis speaking.

One time I cut off the beer supply to lure him to the cellar and kinda was happy there was at least that for a hitman-like strategy, then after I stealth killed him his body started the "alert all guests" script he was supposed to use when alive and spotting the player.

When I found there was a questline to access the mask maker's workshop I thought it could be a way to actually attend the party in disguise but of course such an interesting idea was not to be explored.

Chev fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 20, 2022

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
When I tried to do the party stealthily the first time I cocked it up royally and just John Wicked my way through. That was so much fun I did it again several more times even after I found the sneaky easy ways.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It feels almost like you were going to mask up into the party but it got cut or something.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

algebra testes posted:

It feels almost like you were going to mask up into the party but it got cut or something.

yeah there's even a side quest to get into the mask maker's shop and you just get some completely forgettable reward and no mask. seems like a really weird misdirect unless it was cut

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

I would love to see a post-mortem from (one of) the developers of Deathloop some time.

I think there are quite a few things that ended up getting changed fairly late in development. Too many elaborate ways of killing Visionaries that are so much more involved than just shooting them in the face, huge areas like the Armory that seem mostly unused, and so on. Would be cool to hear how the original ideas differed from what was finally released.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Yea, seems like some feature creep got cut back.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly the game ended up landing pretty hollow for me as a result. What's there is fun to play but every corner, hint and conversation teases at a much more interesting game than we got.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've said it before, but I want to see this game redone with the level designers from Hitman. I think the thing they ran into was they felt like they couldn't make a bunch of ways to finish the game and still make it long enough, so they created one solution hid behind a bunch of dumb locks like an escape room instead of building a murder sandbox where the actual game time comes from replayability.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never got the impression that it was ever intended to be a sandbox - it's a followup to Dishonored which itself is a quite linear single-solution (or two-solution, factoring in the non-lethal option) assassination quest with a ton of optional side quests for loot and lore.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Tenasscity posted:

Yea, seems like some feature creep got cut back.

I don't think it was feature creep, I think it was the original intent of the game but then COVID happened. Like do a side quest to get a mask to sneak in to a party and have multiple ways of identifying your target.. everything is in the game to make this happen already, they just couldn't connect the dots in time so we're left with this weirdly hollow and simplistic game.
The whole game is filled with things like this. Kill Harriette with poisonous gas being another. All the pieces are there to set up a Rube Goldberg situation where she's killed by her own big pool of gas, instead what the solution we ended up with is... Shoot her with a poison gun. Thing is like this are everywhere throughout the game where all the pieces are there, making it obvious it would have been a much more intricate game.

I'm sure without COVID happening right at the game's prime development time this would have been a lot more fleshed out.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 11, 2022

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I kept waiting for a deeper meta level of gameplay to reveal itself but then it... never did. Like, the entire premise of the game is that Julianna keeps her memories as well, but then she never actually does anything interesting! You can kill the Visionaries the exact same time, place and manner every day and she will never actually catch on or do anything about it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the mask thing is the inverse of feature creep. It clearly feels like somehing that was long planned but cut because the dev was stretched thin to the point where even making enemies notice their pals being shot had to be added in a patch a couple months after release..

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 11, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Linguica posted:

I kept waiting for a deeper meta level of gameplay to reveal itself but then it... never did. Like, the entire premise of the game is that Julianna keeps her memories as well, but then she never actually does anything interesting! You can kill the Visionaries the exact same time, place and manner every day and she will never actually catch on or do anything about it.

It's this. I was expecting the game to be fairly open to how people are killed but to react to that and so no matter what order you do them in, the last couple always have some kind of interesting snag you have to outwit. Instead, we got a canned puzzle that the game's protagonist solves for you.

I didn't actually like Dishonored all that much, but I loved Prey. I was hoping for more of the latter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh hey look a documentary https://youtu.be/UXQ6uBw2ycU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stratdax posted:

I don't think it was feature creep, I think it was the original intent of the game but then COVID happened. Like do a side quest to get a mask to sneak in to a party and have multiple ways of identifying your target.. everything is in the game to make this happen already, they just couldn't connect the dots in time so we're left with this weirdly hollow and simplistic game.
The whole game is filled with things like this. Kill Harriette with poisonous gas being another. All the pieces are there to set up a Rube Goldberg situation where she's killed by her own big pool of gas, instead what the solution we ended up with is... Shoot her with a poison gun. Thing is like this are everywhere throughout the game where all the pieces are there, making it obvious it would have been a much more intricate game.

I'm sure without COVID happening right at the game's prime development time this would have been a lot more fleshed out.

The poison gas one absolutely needed some tuning - I reckon the original intent was for you to be able to (fairly easily) link Harriette and the guy she's dropping into the gas with Nexus, but I couldn't find an angle to do it from.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

There's also the fact that there's quite a few puzzles/secrets/things to do in-game that end up with reasonably lacklustre rewards, while they sometimes seem the perfect setup for a specific reward. The Eternalists getting together to smoke the gas setup seems like it may have been intended to lead to the 'You can now breathe gas and it heals you' trinket as a reward, for example.
I would call it a commentary, rather than a documentary, as it is simply an external person comparing the design choices in Deathloop with those in Prey: Mooncrash. Still interesting though, so thanks for sharing.

Although I do agree with quite a few of the comments raised against Deathloop, I have to say that I still immensely enjoyed the game. I think it has maybe been praised a bit too much in professional reviews, but I think it's also judged too harshly in player comments. Perhaps the former set too high expectations for the latter.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Amazing how everyone seems to have completely forgot about this game as soon as they finished it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it just wasn't that good

on the bright side Weird West, by the director of dishonored and prey, comes out in a few weeks

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

repiv posted:

it just wasn't that good

on the bright side Weird West, by the director of dishonored and prey, comes out in a few weeks
On one hand, excellent! On the other I still have both Elden Ring and Warhammer 3.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's also like, I don't think it is particularly amazing that a game couldn't infinitely sustain a thread? It was alright (IMO of course, nowhere near as good as Prey/Dishonored but still pretty decent), however it didn't have multiplayer or new content constantly being added or different builds/ways to play the game and people just naturally kinda stopped talking about it which is fine? Not every game needs to be some ever playable super game.

Am looking forward to Weird West though, it's apparently gonna be on Gamepass so I don't even need to buy it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I mean it says something about gaming today probably but yeah. It was good and fun and I played it and enjoyed it and then I put it down and forgot about it until probably 10 years from now when I might be like hm that'd be fun to play again. It's ok for a game to be that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deathloop was pretty alright and I liked it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked it and I didn't forget about it, but there's nothing much to say when I'm done and moved on to other games

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I look back fondly on it as a game I played, beat and then disposed of. I think there is virtue to the fact it wasn't a 60 hour slog to finish.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, there is shitload of great games that don't really sustain a conversation once most people are finished with it, that's not some kind of flaw. Together with multiplayer I got something like 50 hours out of it, the multiplayer was some of the most fun I had in that mode in ages, singleplayer was good to great, but not super noteworthy. There is not a lot more to say. :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Amazing how everyone seems to have completely forgot about this game as soon as they finished it.

I got the infinite loop ending because I was too bored by the ending cutscene to realise I was supposed to left click, and I felt like that was the perfect ending for this particular game

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like the multiplayer might have grabbed me if the matchmaking didn’t take ages and I was actually any good at competitive FPS games, it has a cool asymmetric concept that I simply do not have the skills to get much out of.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I dug the hell out of the acting, and I'm looking forward to another run if there's an expac (and Arkane always makes great ones), but it's definitely behind Prey and Dishonored for me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/12/deathloop-update-includes-new-accessibility-options-photo-mode-and-more/

Fairly chonky suite of accessibility features and photo mode, launching today. Feels a little too late to be frank, but it's still nice to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/12/deathloop-update-includes-new-accessibility-options-photo-mode-and-more/

Fairly chonky suite of accessibility features and photo mode, launching today. Feels a little too late to be frank, but it's still nice to see.

Game still hasnt launched on Xbox yet.