Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I used to play the first Rolling Thunder game in the arcade. I really like the pace of the games; It's a bit more slower and methodical than the Contras and Metal Slugs. Feels more like a shootout than a shmup where your ship can't fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Zeikier posted:

I'll Make Your Future Over! - Let's Play Rolling Thunder 3

So our target is Piccolo with a monocle. Got it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just love how the plot is literally "our third best agent goes after their number two".

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Hardware problems have blindsided me, so the rest of the levels will be coming out as these problems are resolved. Thankfully the videos are intact, so hopefully it's just a small delay.

For now, have some music I forgot to link in the first post:

Bad Fairy (Main Menu)
Bad Bob (Cutscene)
Bad Moon (Weapon Select)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I figured I should stop dying in normal mode. It is the hard games thread, after all.

16. Moon Thelma (Normal Mode)

15. Easy Mode

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Are those dive-bomber guys referencing Dr. Strangelove? :stare:

Also, when did you get the antigravity boots? I don't remember those at all.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Picked up the boots back in the maze. I never really found a use for them outside of here, but I guess they could help if you wanted to move enemies out of the way in a confined space, or something.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 2, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh poo poo, an update in less than a week. If only the others had all gone that quickly.

17. The Stronghold (Normal Mode)

16. Moon Thelma (Hard Mode)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Your commentary has gotten really excellent over the course of this LP, and your gameplay continues to astound. I'm looking forward to the Hard Mode Stronghold- the game has already hit IWBTG levels of design intensity.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I must have jinxed myself by getting the last update done so quickly. The next one is done, but unfortunately my upload speed until the 6th of August is 256kb/s at most. Which would be a problem for any 720p video, but the hard mode video this time is just shy of 50 minutes, and you can imagine how big that makes it. I'm taking my chances uploading the normal mode video, though, since I want that one to be watched before the hard mode video anyway. If it succeeds, I'll edit this, and if not, see you in two weeks; in the meantime, thanks to the people who've been following along. Sorry it took as long as it did to get to this point.

EDIT: It worked!

18. The Moon Centre (Normal Mode)

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 23, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
As it turns out, you can still upload a video to YouTube, even if it takes 22 hours.

Thanks for watching, everyone who did!

17. Finale

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

frozentreasure posted:

As it turns out, you can still upload a video to YouTube, even if it takes 22 hours.

17. Finale

Cripes. Those rocket turrets.

Does the burst beam affect enemies? Maybe you could have burst beamed a rocket into the rocket box around 12 minutes in?

Looks like making use of the ceiling would have helped you in the room with the rotating laser beams, too. Makes me wish the game had had a section that forced you to make use of ceiling beams (maybe by using those pipes?), since I know I wouldn't have thought to try that either.

Also, uh, did we get a Normal Mode of the Brice fight? I did a YouTube search and found it, but I don't remember it being linked here. (It is indeed adorable how Kurt turns his baseball cap backwards when it's boss time)

As for game references, it's not "circular breakout". It's Star Castle! You're in spaceship, trying to destroy a base that has three rotating shields that can be broken away in segments. It's just like fighting Brice except that if you ever fully-destroy one layer of shields, the layers inside it expand to replace it, and the inner layer is completely regenerated. Also the attacks are different.

Finally, I hate windy levels :colbert:

Thanks for the LP, Frozentreasure! It was a treat, and your commentary was top-notch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

frozentreasure posted:

17. Finale

Yeah, it totes qualifies for the thread. Way to go, nice LP. Here's a trailer for the challenge rooms for anyone curious.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Here's the trailer from M&D's channel; also has some other fun Pid videos, like the co-op trailer.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does the burst beam affect enemies? Maybe you could have burst beamed a rocket into the rocket box around 12 minutes in?

Burst beams do affect red and yellow objects the same as the regular beam, and probably would have worked, though I'd still likely take a hit trying to set up the angle.

quote:

Looks like making use of the ceiling would have helped you in the room with the rotating laser beams, too. Makes me wish the game had had a section that forced you to make use of ceiling beams (maybe by using those pipes?), since I know I wouldn't have thought to try that either.

The game did make me use the ceilings in the factory; that said, it still wouldn't have helped in the hard mode stronghold, since spikes are placed at almost all of the places where you'd stop to shoot the slingshot.

quote:

Also, uh, did we get a Normal Mode of the Brice fight?

Scroll up.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Kefit posted:

And for all the loving weirdos out there, for all the lunatics who just can't get enough of absurd difficulty in video games, VVVVVV presents No Death Mode. It's always there on the Play Modes menu laughing in your face. It's even got an entire room dedicated to it in the Secret Lab! But I suspect most players hardly give it a second glance. As it turns out, I just happen to be a total loving weirdo when it comes to hard video games. A few months ago this manifested in a deep dive into VVVVVV for a couple of weeks, ultimately resulting in:

VVVVVV No Death Mode Clear

I just finished VVVVVV with nearly a thousand deaths in my first play-through, and I was convinced No Death Mode was just a troll. Then I saw that 0.1% of players on Steam have it, but I still figured they could have used SAM or other cheats to get it.

Then I come here to read about goons who finished this game, stumble upon this thread, and read Kefit's post.

Please become a brain surgeon, Kefit. Your eye-hand coordination and patience must be out of this world.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The hardware problem has been resolved. I have a big project that needs my attention, but once that's done I'll have my Rolling Thunder videos back on track. Sorry for the delay.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Please become a brain surgeon, Kefit. Your eye-hand coordination and patience must be out of this world.

That should really be the entry test to the brain surgery profession; all these years of medicine school brushed aside by a straight up autism test.

Ok ms... Verhoevenmeyer was it, how autistic are you? That autistic, huh. But are you this autistic? *pulls out VVVVVV* Ok thank you now if you would follow this way, Dr Verhoevenmeyer?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rolling Thunder 3 - Part 2

Round 2: Factory
EX Round A

Factory gives us our first boss fight, our first Bonus Round, and our first taste of how enemies will swarm you. It's not about the strength of the enemies in Rolling Thunder 3, it's how many come at you at once. Since you can only take 2 hits by default you can't afford to be careless. This will only get dicier the farther we get.

I partially prepared this for posterity because for the longest time I had no idea how to access the Bonus Rounds. The instruction manual gives the hint "just shoot" while also hinting one of the levels is Level 2. Given how many Bullets the door takes to open, most people would probably give up after the first couple dozen.

MUSIC:
Bad Bob (Cutscene)
Bad Moon (Weapon Select)
8 St. in N.Y (Round 2)
Bad Babe (Boss)
Bad Ramega (EX Round)

The boss theme is interesting to me; unlike most themes which are fast-paced and frantic, RT3's boss theme is slow and deliberate in its intensity.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 7, 2014

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rolling Thunder 3 - Part 3

Round 3: Highway
Round 4: Las Vegas Night

The autoscrolling vehicle levels are pretty fun. For the most part they're in a set pattern, but they move briskly enough and offer some wiggle room in what you do based on your reflexes. It's prolly more worth it to skip over them in favor of the EX Rounds, but they're small enough of a drag to not make them a big deal if you don't. Plus the music rocks.

Las Vegas has primarily melee enemies in the female Maskers, which are annoying to hit and have collision damage unlike their brothers. However, Flash renders them useless, and it's one of the handiest weapons in the game, and if you remember which levels have Flash doors you can extend its use to more than one level, which is just dandy.

The sniper hazard is a good way to keep the pressure on, but I don't think even rookies would take as long as it does to trigger them.

MUSIC:
Bad Elf 2 (Round 3)
5 Black Vol 5 (Round 4)
Bad Movie (Sniper)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Really nice work on these levels- this had almost slipped under my radar with how far down this thread has fallen. I'm personally digging the sniper music, though it's a bit short.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Really nice work on these levels- this had almost slipped under my radar with how far down this thread has fallen. I'm personally digging the sniper music, though it's a bit short.

Bolly!

Rolling Thunder 3 - Part 4

Round 5: Dread's Building
EX Round B
Round 6: The Pacific Ocean

Each Round adds a slight tweak to the enemies you encounter. Rounds 4 and 5 are about introducing new Maskers, with the agile Red/Yellow Maskers taking stage. The Heavies are bulkier and more grounded, particularly nasty foes if you have more than one Masker pinning you down. The Blue and Green Maskers are also more likely to crouch and shoot and get progressively itchier trigger fingers. Luckily you should still have plenty of weapons to handle them and the level gives you a Flash grenade halfway through. Round 5's one of the longer ones, and it's likely to be the first time you run into the Sniper because of the time spent in the shootout.

EX Round B is the trickiest of the three to get into since you can trigger the scroll and miss it if you don't know to drop down on the statue right before the Bullet door. However, the weapons you get there won't really help you for Round 7.

Round 6 is slightly more reflex-based than 3 since the jetski Maskers will ditch their skis to attack you. Otherwise, it's another simple vehicle level that's a nice break after Rounds 4 and 5. The luxury stops there.

MUSIC:
Main St (Round 5) *Recommended Listening*
Bad Rouge (Round 6)

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 5, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Apparently in Chilean Spanish, "ship" means "jetski".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So like a year later, who wants Stage 18 of Maximum Carnage No Death Run?

(College and a computer failure wiping my hard drive drained my will to touch this one. Whoops)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Apparently in Chilean Spanish, "ship" means "jetski".

There's a tiny shot of the ship you board the jetski from at the beginning. Besides, Jay wants to travel under the radar, lest he alert the guards.

Oh wait.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

DeathChicken posted:

So like a year later, who wants Stage 18 of Maximum Carnage No Death Run?

(College and a computer failure wiping my hard drive drained my will to touch this one. Whoops)

I've been waiting for this, I thought it was abandoned. Thank you!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Deargodalion posted:

I've been waiting for this, I thought it was abandoned. Thank you!
So was I, so glad to see it back.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

:siren:Maximum Carnage No-Death Run Complete!:siren:

Well that was long delayed, and I recommend a no-death run to no one. Carnage is just a gigantic pain in the rear end. Still, I will always love this game to pieces.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I always loved the tag-in effect from that final fight. Made it feel more dynamic than it had any right to be. The credits music is great too.

Now go play Separation Anxiety (don't do this).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I always loved the tag-in effect from that final fight. Made it feel more dynamic than it had any right to be. The credits music is great too.

Haha, yeah Seperation Anxiety is AWFUL. They half-assed every part of it, and it feels really strongly like a rush job after the sorta surprise hit of Maximum Carnage. The graphics are a step down, and the difficulty is a step way up, with a sort of artificial scale where I'm pretty sure it's unbeatable without a game genie.

Anyways, thanks for the trip down memory lane DC. It was fun.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just got caught up on that last video. Amazing run.
Even if it's a bit cheap at times, the game looks pretty fun. Must have infuriated many a kid back when it came out. And as you said, the music is great, the tunes are just really well done.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Amusingly enough I'm pretty sure I did beat Separation Anxiety back in the day. No I have no desire to do it again. As was said, it feels like Maximum Carnage except on half the budget. No Green Jelly soundtrack, the graphics suck. There aren't even any cutscenes, just text over a background. It's...cheap.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Choco1980 posted:

Haha, yeah Seperation Anxiety is AWFUL. They half-assed every part of it, and it feels really strongly like a rush job after the sorta surprise hit of Maximum Carnage. The graphics are a step down, and the difficulty is a step way up, with a sort of artificial scale where I'm pretty sure it's unbeatable without a game genie.
This is backwards, because I had Separation Anxiety on the genesis and found it way easier than when I got Maximum Carnage later on for SNES.

They were both rear end, though, in more ways than one. For starters, in both games, you get to do the same two fights a hundred times. I don't particularly like all the times maximum carnage tells you it's ok to lose a fight either. It makes up a large part of the game, in a game genre where going up against the boss is the only thing you have to look forward to.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Separation Anxiety was terrible.

I remember renting it once and I completely broke the game during the fight with Shriek by bodyslamming her into the ground and killing the AI. She still had life left, but just froze on the ground and wouldn't get up. No timer, no advancement, nothing. Just her crumpled on the ground as i'm moving Venom all over the screen trying to trigger something to work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Play it. With all this moaning, it's perfect for the thread!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I know I said I wasn't gonna play it but I started streaming Ecco 2 last night. I'm gonna pick up where I left off (putting the Asterite back together) in about 25 minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/disastranagant

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

frozentreasure posted:

17. Finale

DeathChicken posted:

:siren:Maximum Carnage No-Death Run Complete!:siren:

Well that was long delayed, and I recommend a no-death run to no one. Carnage is just a gigantic pain in the rear end. Still, I will always love this game to pieces.

These were both great, thanks for seeing them through!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rolling Thunder 3: Part 5

Round 7: Easter Island

Round 7 is one of the hardest stages in the game. Between the uneven terrain that Jay sometimes can't work around, enemies constantly lobbing grenades at you, and the pace at which they appear, it gets pretty daunting. Grenades, Crackers, and the Cannon are great weapons for this level thanks to their arcing fire and coverage.

The difficulty lets up in the coming stages, but just barely.

MUSIC:
Bad Situation

Gotta get this train to the station. Finally freed my schedule up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Criminy, that boss did not look easy.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Criminy, that boss did not look easy.

Yeah, I'm barely making the jumps over that boss. There's pretty strict timing for most of the fight and it's intimidating.

Rolling Thunder 3: Part 6

Round 8: Underground Base
EX Round C

Round 8 has more of a buildup in difficulty than Round 7's barrage right out the gate. It starts off pretty tame, with tough enemies coming from just one direction and even terrain for easier aiming. Once you reach the second half enemies ambush you from both sides, with more focus on bullets than grenades this time. It's hard avoiding hits in this level, and the boss fight exemplifies that. I don't think it's as bad as Easter Island, but it's still one of the harder stages thanks to the second half.

The Shotgun proves less than exciting here. It's a neat idea, but it's much better in levels with lots of weaker enemies, or just picking something else with more consistent output.

The third EX Round is pretty cool; the Warehouse from the original Rolling Thunder in disrepair. If you're using the Machine Gun you can load up on that and Pistol rounds like there's no tomorrow.

MUSIC:
Bad Night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is it possible to hit/damage the turrets?

• Locked thread