Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Takoluka posted:

The English dubbing is very good.

:lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can't say I can blame Nintendo - a company that prides itself on its family-friendly image - for wanting to limit the chance some 8 year old is called a "loving human being" because he didn't get on the capture point fast enough in Splatoon 2. :thunk:

poo poo that's a selling feature for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKuD7yVR_Q

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kashuno posted:

As long as Super Mario Odyssey hits their release window of this holiday season, the Switch will probably sell incredibly well and start to really attract the AAA devs.

Everything except the last part. Some aaa games will have bad ports i guess.

A few publishers will throw a team at making an exclusive for sure, or a lower budget multiplat aimed at switches demographic that will do well, but switch is going to need lots of changes to aaa games to get them to run and a lot of publishers will still balk even if its a smash hit.

I only had nintendos until like 2008. Waiting for ports is not something i recommend now that i have been living to sweet multiconsole life.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Goddamn, I remember seeing that live on the stream and laughing my rear end off.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Some BoI tips on the conversation a couple pages back:

-The Lost is basically unplayable unless you are a savant or until you unlock the holy mantle as a starting item, then it is not that hard since he gets free devil rooms.
-If you get the gnawed leaf and daddy long legs you can cheese your way through the entire game with any character.
-If you get the swallowed penny or the piggy bank as the keeper you basically have infinite life.
-The first thing you should unlock as the keeper is the wooden nickel as his starting item, this will give you more healing and allow you to buy more items. I think all of the battery items are good on him.
-With keeper you should leave coins around and only grab them before you need them for health, to buy something or to move on to another floor. With the wooden nickel you use it right as you enter a room and leave the coin there for an emergency.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

We're finally going to be able to recreate this comic in real life

I'm this person and this is why I don't care about the whole voice thing cause I shouldn't be yelling at people about a child's game

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I thought voice chat was only available when matchmaking with friends in the first place? The only people who you can verbally abuse are the ones who choose to play with you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just get together with your friends and voice chat on Skype or Discord, it ain't that hard

its completely unnessecary and ridiculous

Yodzilla posted:

This is what I'm saying. It's been probably 3 years since I've used any game or console's built-in VOIP. They're all completely garbage.

you are in a group that probably makes up less than 1% of console users. everyone ever uses the console built in party and chat programs because they work well, they sound fine, theyre easy, and because expecting to have to use a seperate device just for something as simple as transmitting audio is loving comical. theres no defence for no matter ur own bizarre choices in how you game.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

The Black Stones posted:

Ah yes, change the argument from "people don't want to charge headphones" to "well it doesn't work ideally in the very specific situation that i have" and that totally shows how wrong I was.

Then just continue to use wired headphones because they literally just give you an adapter to continue using wired headphones. You can still do that, they didn't go like "gently caress using 3.5mm forever!" And make wired headphones blow up when you connect them to a phone. Get used to it because more companies are probably gonna do that in the future. It's just like how a majority of laptops don't use disk drives anymore and you have to buy an external one if you still have CD/DVD's.

This won't effect Switch users anyway. Anyone that owns this is also very likely to be using an iPhone 4 and is completely happy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Aren't splatoon matches only 2 minutes long? That's only like 3 complete sentences or 10 profanities then the match is already done

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I thought voice chat was only available when matchmaking with friends in the first place? The only people who you can verbally abuse are the ones who choose to play with you.

Is there anything preventing a game from implementing their own voice chat? Monster Hunter for the WiiU had voice support. Does the Switch have a Mic?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Best use of the Switch yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8QCFNAgPDo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

pixaal posted:

Is there anything preventing a game from implementing their own voice chat? Monster Hunter for the WiiU had voice support. Does the Switch have a Mic?

I don't think the Switch has a microphone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pixaal posted:

it would depend on if the headphone port on the switch is a triple barrel connector and supports combined audio + mic or not. given the completely ridiculous system theyve concocted its probably safe to say they went with a 2 barrel connector to save 0.0001c per unit as it wasnt something they were concerned with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Utnayan posted:

This won't effect Switch users anyway. Anyone that owns this is also very likely to be using an iPhone 4 and is completely happy.

Early console adopters likely have newer phones on average.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Early console adopters likely have newer phones on average.

That sarcasm went over your head it seems :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also you can laugh at new iphones not having a 3.5mm jack but at least they bundled in a headset thats compatible with the device as well as a 3.5mm adapter. with nintendo youre expected to actually shell out for all of the extra poo poo that lets your device function at the same level as a ps3.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Stux posted:

also you can laugh at new iphones not having a 3.5mm jack but at least they bundled in a headset thats compatible with the device as well as a 3.5mm adapter. with nintendo youre expected to actually shell out for all of the extra poo poo that lets your device function at the same level as a ps3.

I'm right with you on that one.

But, I think the entire system is a debacle and will fail miserably starting during the middle of this summer.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I don't give a poo poo about voice chat on my Mario Kart and Disgaea machine. There's discord for talking to the people you want to talk to. Pubs are bad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Utnayan posted:

But, I think the entire system is a debacle and will fail miserably starting during the middle of this summer.

:jerkbag:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please stop quoting the insane idiot troll tia

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the new Pilotwings is weird

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

It is

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
I think this is a good article for the people that see both sides of the story and don't feel the need to go all 100% defense to justify their purchase.

quote:

Nintendo's solution for giving voice chat to Splatoon 2's online community is unveiled, and it's completely ridiculous.

http://mashable.com/2017/06/01/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-hori/#b6wkZzWpl5qu

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

This might sound crazy but I kinda like the idea of using my phone for voice chat instead. 3rd party apps for voice chat on pc have been the default for a while now and it's really nice to be able to communicate with your group when a disconnect in game occurs. Sound quality is usually a lot better too and I always have volume balance issues whenever I've used built in chat on consoles. Also the one time I tried using my Bluetooth headphones with my PS4 my controller inputs started lagging.

That being said they really should've at least had the option for on console voice chat.

Game disconnects dont interrupt partychat afaik

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The could be CPU, interference, or power draw issues. Only Koizumi knows for sure, and he's not talking.

Vita voice chat works they did this on purpose. We will all see the genius soon.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Utnayan posted:

I think this is a good article for the people that see both sides of the story and don't feel the need to go all 100% defense to justify their purchase.

http://mashable.com/2017/06/01/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-hori/#b6wkZzWpl5qu

But I don't care

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Do a large percentage of users even use voice chat? Only a third of PS4 owners are even subbed to PS4 which you need for most multiplayer games. And only a percentage of them use voice chat. It's important and useful, but in no way shape or form a make or break feature.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Utnayan posted:

I think you're way wrong, the online system and app will be delayed until "2018". It can't fail this summer because it won't be out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Meridian posted:

I don't give a poo poo about voice chat on my Mario Kart and Disgaea machine. There's discord for talking to the people you want to talk to. Pubs are bad.

why should u have to use discord instead of a system built into the OS like every other console? do you at least realise your attitude and how youuse chat goes against how basically everyone else who plays games on consoles uses voice chat?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Utnayan posted:

That sarcasm went over your head it seems :)

In this thread i dont expect it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

why should u have to use discord instead of a system built into the OS like every other console?
because it's better

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

Do a large percentage of users even use voice chat? Only a third of PS4 owners are even subbed to PS4 which you need for most multiplayer games. And only a percentage of them use voice chat. It's important and useful, but in no way shape or form a make or break feature.

lets put it this way: if sony and microsoft had announced their new consoles and both said "by the way no more voice chat" how do you think that wouldve been recieved in the media and by the public. do you think twitter wouldve exploded with tweets saying "good choice, i dont use it anyway" or that maybe there wouldve been some backlash to them cutting a major OS function out of their new machines?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

because it's better

i use discord on pc and ps4 built in chat on ps4 and discord is not better in any real way. the quality is more dependant in both cases by how good the other persons microphones are and being able to just plug my headset into my controller and not gently caress around with a second device for the basic utility of "talking to my friends" puts the party chat way above discord for ps4 games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Everything except the last part. Some aaa games will have bad ports i guess.

A few publishers will throw a team at making an exclusive for sure, or a lower budget multiplat aimed at switches demographic that will do well, but switch is going to need lots of changes to aaa games to get them to run and a lot of publishers will still balk even if its a smash hit.

I only had nintendos until like 2008. Waiting for ports is not something i recommend now that i have been living to sweet multiconsole life.

The only ports I need are for WiiU poo poo like DKC and Bayonetta, or indie hits like Darkest Dungeon, Stardew Valley, and Dead Cells. The last thing I care about is if "AAA Hits" like Ubisoft Man Simulator 3 or EA Presents: War come to the Switch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll defer to you on that because I don't own a PS4 but Discord in general is my preferred way to chat

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Stux posted:

lets put it this way: if sony and microsoft had announced their new consoles and both said "by the way no more voice chat" how do you think that wouldve been recieved in the media and by the public. do you think twitter wouldve exploded with tweets saying "good choice, i dont use it anyway" or that maybe there wouldve been some backlash to them cutting a major OS function out of their new machines?

Of course which is why they announced a mobile out which is generally being met with confusion and annoyance only in gaming news blogs which 80% of the of the target market ignores. Don't get me wrong it does suck. But you and utnayan are once again blowing the consequences out of proportion because you are both attention seeking fuckwits.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just a reminder that nobody is "defending" this. The reactions are either "GOD NINTENDO HOW STUPID ARE YOU" from people who don't own a Switch, or "Eh, I don't really care either way, I'm not gonna use it" from people who do own a Switch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jackbox Party Pack 3 works very well on the switch, except I keep having to move the controller every ten minutes or so, because the screen gets dark as there are technically no inputs being made on the switch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you're paying for online then you should certainly be able to voice chat through the dang system itself

it's just that I would probably still use Discord anyway, personally

and of course voice chat with pubs is worse than talking to your family about politics at thanksgiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'll defer to you on that because I don't own a PS4 but Discord in general is my preferred way to chat

yeah discord is really good... on pc when im playing games on my pc. but theres literally no reason to go out of my way to use it for any other platform unless its because i have to because that platform has decided to not offer any voice options at all, or the options are just as much of an extra effort as using discord. i could see using it for the switch simply because its basically the same thing anyway if im having to use my phone for voice, but thats a ridiculous situation.

• Locked thread