Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hm very true and good point. I’m guessing it’s obvious if I do get a Mac it can perform those functions atkeast and I literally wouldn’t ever get one otherwise so might be nice to use the opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
if they're paying for it, just max out whatever size macbook pro you want.

if you're considering buying a machine for yourself, don't get any of the current models, get a pre-2016 13" retina

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Phone posting but someone please link him to the More poo poo That Pisses You Off thread. He's gonna need it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo quietly announced their GTX 1050 4GB "graphics dock" that connects via TB3

It is $399:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/lenovo-thunderbolt-3-graphics-dock,36278.html

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc500012

Provides up to 65w to your laptop via USB-C power delivery while using the GPU.

Giggity.

Without getting into too much detail at this point, I just bought an eGPU and am having trouble getting it to work on either an SK NUC or a RBS. :ohdear: I'll keep the thread filled in when I have more to report.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Haha. In our defense the nearest Apple store is literally 2 hours away :shrug: otherwise yeah I’d tell em to get lost

Don't offer to become the in-house Apple tech support when you're completely inexperienced with their poo poo in the first place! :psyduck:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should clarify l, support as in “this is how you install a app” or “this is the program you should use for email” nothing more extravagant

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I should clarify l, support as in “this is how you install a app” or “this is the program you should use for email” nothing more extravagant

It begins.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mac laptops are so bad right now because of #donglegate and the horrid keyboard that gets hosed by a piece of dust. They were at peak level in 2015.

https://theoutline.com/post/2402/the-new-macbook-keyboard-is-ruining-my-life?zd=1

quote:

The problem was not that its logic board was failing, that its battery was dying, or that its camera didn't respond. There were no mysteriously faulty innerworkings. It was the spacebar. It was broken. And not even physically broken — it still moved and acted normally. But every time I pressed it once, it spaced twice.

“Maybe it's a piece of dust,” the Genius had offered. The previous times I'd been to the Apple Store for the same computer with the same problem — a misbehaving keyboard — Geniuses had said to me these exact same nonchalant words, and I had been stunned into silence, the first time because it seemed so improbable to blame such a core problem on such a small thing, and the second time because I couldn't believe the first time I was hearing this line that it was not a fluke. But this time, the third time, I was ready. “Hold on,” I said. “If a single piece of dust lays the whole computer out, don't you think that's kind of a problem?”

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds horrendous.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas,, how many times do I have to repeat myself?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But there needs to be a clear delineation between what your work duties are, what you get paid for, and everything else. They want mac support? Demand a raise and that they pay for training.

Go read /r/talesfromtechsupport and the SA equivalent for a week, realize that loving every single person in IT has a story along the lines of "I wanted to help my users on the side and then supporting users became my entire job and now I keep a handle of whiskey in the bottom left drawer of my desk", then ask yourself again if you still want to do support for anyone, for anything.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 10, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well.""

this is basically the start of this

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Right?

I get it, we're helpful people, we like helping people by nature. Why the gently caress do you think we give unpaid laptop advice on this dead gay forum? Because it tweaks neurotransmitters in our heads that make us feel good.

But you think that you're going to take on "support" by whatever definition you want to call it as part of your job and not come away crushed by the unpaid part of your job while the paid part gets further and further behind, you're a fool whistling past a graveyard. You have to put your natural instincts in check and be very disciplined with yourself.

This means poo poo like:

1) All users lie.
2) All users are stupid.
3) DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
4) Do nothing that isn't in a ticket.
5) Get all requests in writing. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.
6) When your day is over, you go home. No staying after.
7) You do not answer phone calls or emails after you go home unless there is a specific provision in your contract.
8) DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.
9) You do not answer phone calls or emails on vacation. Ever.
10 ) DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.

You might be thinking I'm overblowing this. I'm not. Support isn't there to be nice. You are taking on the mantle of the company's 911 service for your technology. You are there to be professional while being helpful in the face of adversarial conduct, while getting the emergency resolved.

And if that sounds daunting, walk away from this "support" idea now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 10, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I understand - and greatly appreciate the advice - but I think there's a difference between something in that case where you're dealing with a lot of people in a real IT support role and something in my case where it's a company of like 5 mechanical engineers who need very basic windows support like I said ("what program for email") and i'd like to be educated enough about the equivalent for macs. I guess "support" was the wrong word from the start, but perhaps more "educated".

I love my job. I know that's probably disgusting to read, but I do love it, and that's why I volunteered to do this. Call me a idiot or whatever, but that's why. I don't look at my fellow employees as "stupid" or "numbers", theyre my friends and we work as a team and I want to help the team succeed. And i'm also at a level with my coworkers and employees where If I can't figure something out I just say "Well, lets call the IT guys or the AppleCare store". We don't have the funds or resources to be able to call up a IT person to ask if Outlook is better than Thunderbird; and that's also why I love this job because we contribute.

I'm sure to you guys that's more like the old mechanic mantra of "YouTube Mechanics keep me in business" but it is what it is.

I DO take your guyses advice seriously, like I said, you guys reccomended a laptop earlier in the year for me and I love it, and that's why I came back. I think I just worded my initial opportunity wrong and i am going on the defensive and I apologize. I should've just said "Hey, I need to cut video and work in wordpress, what's better for this, Mac or Windows?" TBH I could be using this laptop you guys said just fine for this stuff, but I refuse to use my personal laptop anymore for work related such, and hence why I posted again. That's a start I guess?

I do see the point all of you are making of this being a unending hole and being forced into the "bad IT guy" role but that's not the case here.

I apologize mostly because I feel like I offended you guys and I didn't mean to because I do think you guys give kick rear end advice.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i am definitely not offended and i doubt anybody here gives a rats rear end if you end up 'the bad IT' guy

you're basically asking if its a good idea to piss into your own gas tank and then telling people that its gonna be ok because you're very familiar with the gas tank, and that your piss is actually fairly close to gasoline anyway (you drive a diesel). i was thinking about your situation while i was taking a poo poo a few minutes ago and laughed to myself at the concept of even working for a company that would have somebody utterly unqualified doing 'support' like that for any system beyond delivering refreshments. obviously your situation is different than the dozens of other situations any number of people in here have seen before, despite the fact that literally every person ever in the history of any situation like this has said that

at any rate

quote:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well.""

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 10, 2018

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just to add onto the pile here you, the newest person on the team, shouldn't even be making decisions like Thunderbird vs Outlook or Windows vs Mac for yours and others workflow. That's solidly on management to make those decisions and if they are not then 1. You are doing their work for them to the detriment of your work, 2. You'll take the full blame when invariably something goes wrong and your suggestion is involved, and 3. You need to sit down and seriously think about this work environment, it sounds like a shitshow.

I understand liking your coworkers and wanting to help them out but this is your career we're talking about. The thing that keeps a roof over your head, food on the table, all that jazz. You need to focus on it and cut out the distractions since this is what gets you the money you need in order to do the things you want.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright boys and girls, time to drop trou and start pissing in the well.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So, uh....any other cool CES 2018 news? I hear RΛZΞR have a device concept that lets you turn your phone into a laptop!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean like a Samsung DeX device?
Or an ASUS Padfone?
Or an ASUS Transformer Book?
Or the Lenovo Folio?

I'm sure that Razer will show all those other second-rate companies how you're supposed to do things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are these EVER in stock, or just some lucky gently caress bought one of them at these prices

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You gotta check on Sunday evenings, since the online inventory is updated for Monday mornings in China.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you could get Windows on ARM running on that Razer thing, it would be much cooler.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

If you could get Windows on ARM running on that Razer thing, it would be much cooler.

Everything runs through an emulation layer, 64 bit apps aren't supported at all and neither are kernel mode drivers, so I don't really see the point. Android is by far the better option for ARM.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I tend to view that Razer lap-phone-top as silly. If I'm willing to carry around a metal shell the size of a laptop, as well as my phone, then why am I unwilling to just carry around my phone and a perfectly functional ultrabook that isn't crippled by Android, or alternatively a chromebook?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The major flaw shared by all of the laptop or desktop docks for phones as far as I see it is that phone formfactors change every generation. If I have to buy a new dock every time I get a new phone I'm not really saving any money compared to the low-end laptops that they compete with. As you note it doesn't really save any space or weight, so if it doesn't save money either what's the point?

I like Razer's implementation using the high quality touch sensor the phone already has rather than the usually worse one most laptops have, but that means they can't go any larger with the next generation phone if they care about retaining compatibility. Or they'd have to have a larger opening paired with plastic filler bits like early iPhone docks.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 11, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Mac laptops are so bad right now because of #donglegate and the horrid keyboard that gets hosed by a piece of dust. They were at peak level in 2015.

https://theoutline.com/post/2402/the-new-macbook-keyboard-is-ruining-my-life?zd=1

For what it's worth, for my new job I had unlimited budget for my new laptop and went with i7 rMBP 2017 with no touch bar, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, i.e. the newest shiny. I'm using this for development, which is why I chose it over option B which was a T470 series.

I do despise the key travel, and the lovely half height arrow keys, but otherwise it's a fantastic laptop and I've had no issues with it at all so far, other than if i plug my display in to the laptop too soon after opening the lid, sometimes i need to re-plug it to take and send video. That's pretty rare though.

I don't eat at my desk and carry it in a sleeve though. Time will tell if the keyboard gets hosed. Looking good so far.

I've had zero issues with the dongle, there's a USB-C to usb, hdmi, USB-C adapter and I in three months haven't had or desired to plug anything else in yet. On the off chance I do, my display is a 4-port usb 3 hub, not terribly concerned.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The major flaw is phone cases, is what it is.

ASUS tried a way to solve all these problems once, it was a compartment on the back of the device large enough to accommodate a case and then some, with a USB cable inside of it. You plugged in your phone, put the phone in the compartment, and closed it up, and you had a tablet with an unsightly bulge on the back.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolrah posted:

The major flaw shared by all of the laptop or desktop docks for phones as far as I see it is that phone formfactors change every generation. If I have to buy a new dock every time I get a new phone I'm not really saving any money compared to the low-end laptops that they compete with. As you note it doesn't really save any space or weight, so if it doesn't save money either what's the point?

I like Razer's implementation using the high quality touch sensor the phone already has rather than the usually worse one most laptops have, but that means they can't go any larger with the next generation phone if they care about retaining compatibility. Or they'd have to have a larger opening paired with plastic filler bits like early iPhone docks.

5-10 years ago I liked the idea in theory because all my data and applications would always be with me, which I wouldn't get buying a low-end laptop.

Now all of my data is in the cloud so, for me at least, the one-computing-device-in-multiple-form-factors is not very compelling.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I also think the Razer Linda is silly but I think they are onto something with the implementation of screen-as-trackpad. The Razer Blade Pro has a similar feature, if I recall correctly.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pretty sure the solution to the phone body changing and nullifying the dock is just a little extension cable (a few inches tops)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i did a thing (15" sb2)

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Looking to give my wonderful T420 to a friend without a PC and replace it with another used ebay laptop. Any recommendations other than "buy a t440/450" in the sub $500 range?

I'd love to be able to play older games on it to give to a friend when coming over... talking like league of legends or some gamecube emulator stuff on medium/low at 60fps, nothing crazy.

Edit: not my only PC, just a handy lying around the house laptop. I've found tremendous use for my 420, but it's showing its age and I'd like something lighter and faster by a bit.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
The Lenovo Yoga 720 looks nice and I'm seriously tempted because of how small it is and it's long battery.
The i5 7200u version is significantly cheaper than the i5 8250u version but only has 4GB ram, is that a fair trade?

It would be mostly used for various embedded development projects and maybe the usual internet browsing.
I might play some small games on it, but it would definitely not be the focus.

e:
Goddamnit the 7200u version disappeared from their site within the past few hours, so um. Hm.
Is it worthwhile to pick up the 8250u/8gb version

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 12, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm pretty sure the 8000 series is better in every possible performance metric if that makes you feel better.

Also that i5 is 4core/8thread which is pretty dope

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't ever buy a new laptop with only 4GB memory unless you plan on purchasing and installing 4GB additional yourself. >= 8GB memory + SSD are the most critical components of general computer performance.

Just cross that 4GB model right off your list.

Lenovo has a bunch of new laptops they just announced and most if not all of them will be avalible at the end of the month or before middle of february. They will be more powerful + longer battery life.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any recommendation for a relatively cheap lab laptop? We basically need it to pull some data off of a couple of android phones in the field, and run not-particularly-intensive matlab or python code on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whats your budget? A T420 shipped on ebay is around $120-170 and will probably outlast your time at the lab, also has holes that allow spilled liquids to drain through the keyboard. The display will be mediocre but if you're just using it for data collection and data normalizing scripts that ought to be plenty. Parts are cheap and plentiful if you break it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I haven't been given a hard and firm number, but I don't think they'd blink at anything in the $400-$500 range.

I'm a little hesitant about ebay just because I can't actually purchase it myself, I have to tell someone else what to buy and then they buy it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

>= 8GB memory + SSD are the most critical components of general computer performance.

This can not be overstated. I got a Lenovo Legion Y720 for cheap but without SSD. I had to use it a Day without SSD and the thing just felt so loving slow. The moment i added an SSD it actually felt like a modern machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tunicate posted:

I haven't been given a hard and firm number, but I don't think they'd blink at anything in the $400-$500 range.

I'm a little hesitant about ebay just because I can't actually purchase it myself, I have to tell someone else what to buy and then they buy it.

buy a refurb on eBay from a seller with like 99% rating
I'd go T450

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it's someone else's money I would spec out a bottom of the barrel T470 at around $650

Otherwise, here is a T440 for $295 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073...2MGL&ref=plSrch

That should be easy enough to requisition via standard purchase order

If it's your money I would go the eBay route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Probably worth mentioning that I was just informed that at this moment haswell chips are experiencing issues with random rebooting/crashing because of the meltdown fix