Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

Jigoku posted:

The Axon 7 has drat great hardware at $400 but you're going to want to ignore all the software features and I don't know what their commitment to updates is. That being said it got a bug fix and security update fairly recently.

It feels as good as the HTC 10 and is probably the smallest handset at that size.

It doesn't work officially with CDMA though.

I just got this phone and thought I'd chime in. I had to replace my first one due to mic echoing issues and the second one I purchased has another problem where my mic will cut out during calls (turning speakerphone on and off seems to fix this). The cell reception is also worrisome, but I can partially blame the locations I live and work for that. Other than what I've mentioned, this phone is amazing. I just really hope they push another update soon, because I know I'm not the only one experiencing mic/reception quality deficits.

Oh Lordy Lord fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I know it's easy to poo poo on Verizon for all sorts of stuff, but I can't remember a recent device where Verizon was the sole reason behind a device not getting an already-developed update.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

No build quality issues at all for me.

64gb AND expandable storage.

Great battery life, fantastic screen, best phone speakers I've ever heard, great headphone DAC for those who care.

One of few Daydream certified phones for what it's worth (it does NOT Have nougat yet though). Google cardboard experience is great.

Re: headphone placement, I guess I prefer it on the top but not really thought about it.

The nexus 6p takes about a million times better night shots. The Axon 7 takes the best daytime shots of any phone I've had and processes Hdr basically instantly (hated how slow my nexus 6 was in this).

I have mostly had a similar experience to this, but I find that daylight photos are often aggressively noise reduced or to the point where finer details are lost. Is there a way this can be altered via software or is this a limitation of the camera module?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

El Mido posted:

I have mostly had a similar experience to this, but I find that daylight photos are often aggressively noise reduced or to the point where finer details are lost. Is there a way this can be altered via software or is this a limitation of the camera module?

Thinking more about this, the camera itself is just... Odd. I haven't had the same issues (other then some noise reduction). I think I'll try a different camera app over the weekend and report back.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CFox posted:

Consumers would riot but with phones since it's been that way (with Android at least) for so long there's this weird stockholm syndrome going on where those that are aware of the issue pat themselves on the back for being smart and in the know since they can work around it.

This is way too common.

Tunga posted:

It's rolling out to the N6 as of a few days ago so most likely within the next week or sooner if you want to flash the OTA yourself.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Opt into the beta, install the update, than opt out. That's how i forced the OTA to happen on my Nexus 6

https://www.google.com/android/beta

I'd recommend doing a factory refresh after you install. My battery life extended by 30-40%

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not sure whether to ask Verizon thread or here:
Is there a way to bypass the Motorola or Google setup wizard on a 2014 Moto X?

Was just asked to do factory reset and it keeps on looping back to Motorola Privacy agreement from entering Google account information and I can't get past it.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

sleepwalkers posted:

I know it's easy to poo poo on Verizon for all sorts of stuff, but I can't remember a recent device where Verizon was the sole reason behind a device not getting an already-developed update.

The Droid Turbo.

The exact same phone in Brazil has had Android M for a very long time. There's still no sign of it coming down the pipe for Verizon users.

fake edit: in before, "lol, that's a 2 year old phone, bro."

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

Not sure whether to ask Verizon thread or here:
Is there a way to bypass the Motorola or Google setup wizard on a 2014 Moto X?

Was just asked to do factory reset and it keeps on looping back to Motorola Privacy agreement from entering Google account information and I can't get past it.

You can certainly skip adding a Google account.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nimper posted:

You can certainly skip adding a Google account.

It detects it was factory reset and is asking for Google account. I don't have a skip option.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 7, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's device protection. To get around it, remove your google account from the phone before factory resetting.

Dunno if there's a way around it now.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104542/~/device-protection

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mogomra posted:

The Droid Turbo.

The exact same phone in Brazil has had Android M for a very long time. There's still no sign of it coming down the pipe for Verizon users.

fake edit: in before, "lol, that's a 2 year old phone, bro."

I wasn't going to try to dismiss it by it's age, mostly because it's not outside the two-year window quite yet (though it will be this month). I'm not sure why I didn't remember the Turbo, considering I had one. But you're right, that's exactly what seems to be happening with that phone.
The Turbo is a bit of an oddball, AFAIK. Though I think it was only late July (of this year!) that Marshmallow was released for the non-Verizon variant. I remember the original Lollipop rollout on that phone and it took an exceptionally long time for that to be released as well.

Edit: My original point was trying to say that it seems like lately, most flagship phones across all carriers are getting better at being provided updates, in large part due to the homogenization of flagship devices across carriers; you don't see Galaxy S and S2 levels of carrier-specific flagships anymore and I have to assume that helps.
Even the Droid Turbo, despite technically being a variant on the XT1225 (or whatever it was) had a number of Droid-branded software features that differentiated itself.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 7, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RZA Encryption posted:

This is way too common.
I was absolutely not saying that having to flash an OTA to get an update is acceptable, just mentioning it as an option if someone really can't wait a few days.

That it was delayed for the N6 sucks and shouldn't happen, but that they do updates as staged rollouts is not bad and people get far too angry about it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

KS posted:

That's device protection. To get around it, remove your google account from the phone before factory resetting.

Dunno if there's a way around it now.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104542/~/device-protection

Thanks. Look like I can't get around it now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks for all the Axon reports. I'm on a loaner phone for now, so I'm not feeling super urgent about the purchase. It seems SO close to being the perfect mid-priced phone though. I'm willing to wait to see if the next update fixes most of the software/reception issues I've read about.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

sleepwalkers posted:

The Galaxy Nexus had updates delayed every time and never got the final update the GSM version did, although I guess it's not really recent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

pairofdimes posted:

The Galaxy Nexus had updates delayed every time and never got the final update the GSM version did, although I guess it's not really recent.

Google could have posted the updates if they wanted to. I think the real issue was due to it being LTE and Samsung not being able write a radio baseband to save their life.

The vzw GNex might as well as been a completely different device. Hell, it was even a different size from the GSM version.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I defied all logic and tried to snag a MXP since my Turbo broke, my girlfriend loves hers, it was on sale in September on the Moto Maker website, and I just needed something to make phonecalls and browse Facebook for 6 months. Turns out it's golden week in China so all of their shipments are delayed 7-10 days, and FedEx is saying Moto failed to provide some of the customs forms anyway so I shouldn't hold my breath.

I'm thinking I'll just go buy a 5x or something instead.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shere posted:

I defied all logic and tried to snag a MXP since my Turbo broke,

I just posted about potentially picking up the MXP in the recommendation thread, so why does this defy all logic :ohdear:

(My Moto X 2nd Gen just broke and I loved that thing.)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Verizon and T-Mobile just joined Sprint & AT&T for a voluntary exchange program for the replacement Note 7s. People at Samsung are lovely their pants right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

Google could have posted the updates if they wanted to. I think the real issue was due to it being LTE and Samsung not being able write a radio baseband to save their life.

The vzw GNex might as well as been a completely different device. Hell, it was even a different size from the GSM version.

What

Cite please, I had that phone on VZW (my first smart phone and last android phone until the Pixel ships because it liked to brick itself for some reason) and I don't remember that at all

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
My LG G4 just died out of nowhere, which is apparently a thing that happens. I had it for about a year and a half so i'm not heartbroken, but I need to get a phone quickly since my only backup is a nexus 4.

I've tried to skim the thread back ten pages or so to see what's hot right now, and I'm having trouble deciding. I'd like to head to a store tomorrow to pick something up (I'm on tmobile but I'd get something unlocked at best buy if need be).

Does anyone want to sell me on something that's actually available? A Pixel XL sounds real cool, not available. A Axon 7 sounds pretty good, doesn't seem to be available currently around me. I've never been a huge samsung fan, though i haven't had one since the Galaxy S1.

I don't actually do a whole helluva lot with my phone besides listen to music, browse social media, take pictures, watch movies. Not really into gaming or anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What

Cite please, I had that phone on VZW (my first smart phone and last android phone until the Pixel ships because it liked to brick itself for some reason) and I don't remember that at all

It was thicker, used a different battery, used a different SIM size, and had an LTE radio. It was significantly different than the GSM counterpart.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Shere posted:

I'm thinking I'll just go buy a 5x.

A correct think.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What

The fact that there was a "Nexus" device that was slow to receive updates and had different hardware was a big deal in the Android threads here at the time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

The fact that there was a "Nexus" device that was slow to receive updates and had different hardware was a big deal in the Android threads here at the time.

I remember the slow to update part, I just didn't remember the hardware part. Probably because I didn't give a poo poo at the time if I was aware of it

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't actually do a whole helluva lot with my phone besides listen to music, browse social media, take pictures, watch movies. Not really into gaming or anything.

Why don't you hold onto the N4 for a bit, then? The camera is probably dated, but it should be fine for everything else, and then you can order a Pixelon 7XL or whatever whiz bang phone you'd like.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

True. We spent a good amount of time laughing at the people who bought it from verizon instead of a GSM version from the play store.

Funny how history repeats itself.

And yeah, they were physically completely different phones.
At least the differences between VZW and the real Pixel phones are just software.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

My LG G4 just died out of nowhere, which is apparently a thing that happens. I had it for about a year and a half so i'm not heartbroken, but I need to get a phone quickly since my only backup is a nexus 4.

I've tried to skim the thread back ten pages or so to see what's hot right now, and I'm having trouble deciding. I'd like to head to a store tomorrow to pick something up (I'm on tmobile but I'd get something unlocked at best buy if need be).

Does anyone want to sell me on something that's actually available? A Pixel XL sounds real cool, not available. A Axon 7 sounds pretty good, doesn't seem to be available currently around me. I've never been a huge samsung fan, though i haven't had one since the Galaxy S1.

Snag a 5X from fi, or order a pixel and hold onto the N4 for a couple weeks. The N4 is very dated, but its probably still functional enough to last you 2 weeks.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I remember the slow to update part, I just didn't remember the hardware part. Probably because I didn't give a poo poo at the time if I was aware of it

Iirc it was before the Nexus line had all radios included. I can't recall if it was because of licensing or what.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I could honestly imagine VZW making some poor bastard apply an industrial strength Verizon sticker to each and every Pixel that's going to be sold in store.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

withoutclass posted:

Iirc it was before the Nexus line had all radios included. I can't recall if it was because of licensing or what.

LTE was a relatively new thing at the time and Verizon was still mostly CDMA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ilkhan posted:

At least the differences between VZW and the real Pixel phones are just software.

Even then, it's really just configuration.

The only likely difference between the two models is a bootloader that can't be unlocked. That's pretty much it. Even the 'bloatware' that they are talking about is them using Google's own activation hooks to install apps from the play store on SIM activation (something ATT was doing with the N6, going so far as to even change the boot logo.)

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

ilkhan posted:

True. We spent a good amount of time laughing at the people who bought it from verizon instead of a GSM version from the play store.

Funny how history repeats itself.

No, back then you couldn't use the play store version on Verizon. Well I guess you technically could but you'd be stuck on 3G. The differentiation of hardware included the CDMA modem that allowed for LTE on Verizon.

E: vvv

Yeah, you're right. Memory served me that this was around the time when they started getting a little less fragmented in that sense but that wasn't until later on.

comper fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 8, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You couldn't use the play store version on Verizon at all, it didn't have any of the right radios.

Hell, there were 5 different variants of the Galaxy Nexus. The Sprint version didn't even have a SIM slot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can't use use the Play Store on wifi?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You couldn't use the play store version on Verizon at all, it didn't have any of the right radios.

Hell, there were 5 different variants of the Galaxy Nexus. The Sprint version didn't even have a SIM slot.

Hahaha, I just remembered something

Wi-max

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't use use the Play Store on wifi?

No, he means that the radio bands on the phone from the Play Store were incompatible with Verizon. I think.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The Verizon Gnexus was a goddamn disaster. My brother got it, and I was super excited to see it because as a lifelong Verizon customer sucker, I hadn't had a chance to try a Nexus before. I was amazed at what a turd it was.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

Hahaha, I just remembered something

Wi-max

:prepop:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, he means that the radio bands on the phone from the Play Store were incompatible with Verizon. I think.

Yes, the play store one only had GSM radios, no CDMA radios and no LTE radios. So it couldn't work under Verizon or Sprint at all.

Also, don't forget that the international versions were updated by, I believe, Samsung and not Google. It's was common to reflash them to the Google version.

Phones, in general, were a shitshow a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Yes, the play store one only had GSM radios, no CDMA radios and no LTE radios. So it couldn't work under Verizon or Sprint at all.

Also, don't forget that the international versions were updated by, I believe, Samsung and not Google. It's was common to reflash them to the Google version.

Phones, in general, were a shitshow a few years ago.