Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Ohh that Eames chair. Hell yes.

So much cheaper than the 1:6 Vitra miniature which goes for $800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
5 Below has been reported as having the GotG2 Legends so I swung by to see. Found nothing and said oh well. Jumped on Facebook to see a guy in the local sales group offering figures he's "had for like a year" with visible 5 Below tags on them. Asking $20 a pop. Like, the gently caress dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

5 Below has been reported as having the GotG2 Legends so I swung by to see. Found nothing and said oh well. Jumped on Facebook to see a guy in the local sales group offering figures he's "had for like a year" with visible 5 Below tags on them. Asking $20 a pop. Like, the gently caress dude.

I’ve been trying to find the new wave of Vintage Collection Star Wars figs all week. They finally appeared in stock at a Walmart nearby, but when I got to the aisle there was a dude taking pictures and listing them on eBay with his phone before they’d even been purchased.

gently caress resellers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been trying to find the new wave of Vintage Collection Star Wars figs all week. They finally appeared in stock at a Walmart nearby, but when I got to the aisle there was a dude taking pictures and listing them on eBay with his phone before they’d even been purchased.

gently caress resellers.

The main reason I try to preorder everything these days. We have a local dude who's doing that poo poo and I guess he's gotten physical with a few people.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GET YOUR PREORDERS IN NOW, PEOPLE!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Five Below they opened near my house yesterday. No GotG figures but a ton of Rick Flag and Diablos from Suicide Squad. More impressed with the stock and price on hdmi and usb cables there as I always have to get those on Amazon for a good price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rirse posted:

Speaking of Five Below they opened near my house yesterday. No GotG figures but a ton of Rick Flag and Diablos from Suicide Squad. More impressed with the stock and price on hdmi and usb cables there as I always have to get those on Amazon for a good price.

They tend to have some useful stuff. I just picked up some cables since I was there. I'd stay away from their power banks, pretty lovely.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
FYI if anyone happens to be Pro members at GameStop they are having a deal where if you buy a $5 reusable bag, every collectible item you fit inside is 40% off. I picked up almost the entire Venom wave of Marvel Legends, 4 figures, for $55.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, but that requires giving money to Gamestop...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

GET YOUR PREORDERS IN NOW, PEOPLE!

Is.... is that ‘The Machinist’ Christian Bale? :raise:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress resellers.

Should have snagged them and walked away shouting gently caress scalpers!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

Is.... is that ‘The Machinist’ Christian Bale? :raise:

Presumably they'll be able to reuse the body for a Rescue Dawn Christian Bale

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had put my Superman cape display project on the back burner because the shadow box I wanted was always exempted from sales and coupons. Well late last night I checked my email to see a 70% off coupon for the Studio Decor shadow boxes. I knew I wouldn't have time to get there right when they open so I did an in store pickup and paid for it online. This brought the $160 shadow box down to $51. When I went over to pick it up they mentioned that this box was actually not a part of the sale and should have only been 50% off but they honored the price. So quite soon I should have some excellent progress on this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I received this custom Agent Dale Cooper action figure -- Kyle MacLachlan's character from Twin Peaks, and one of my all-time favorite fictional characters.

At some point I'd like to paint the tie the iconic red, white, and black stripe pattern that he wore in the pilot episode, so it looks even more like Coop.

The body is from a Dark Knight Rises Movie Masters Alfred figure, and the head is from a DC Multiverse Atom figure (based on Brandon Routh's likeness). We were lucky the head fit perfectly on the body after my friend heated up the peg, with no other alterations necessary, but it helped that they're both made by Mattel.

Here's Coop making new friends wherever he goes:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of which, shame we never got a MCU Mr Hyde for even more Kyle MacLachlan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hmm, you could have long coat version Cooper if you used the MM Jim Gordon body and some paint.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I saw that Gordon figure, but it would require some repainting, and this one already had a black suit. And my friend already had the Atom head and Alfred body, so it was the easiest custom in the world to put together. I was gonna buy both figures on eBay, but he just happened to have them laying around as custom fodder. But if the Gordon had a black suit with tan trench coat already, I probably would have bought it and used that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I had a friend who made his own Cooper figure years ago. He ripped the head off Kyle McLaughlin's Flintstones' fig, and jammed it on top of a Dick Tracy movie fig

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you're serious, that's hilarious! I had some of those Dick Tracy figures as a kid, and they were truly terrible. Some of the ugliest action figures ever made.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Filled in a missing part of my collection today, pretty stoked even though the new Predator movie wasn’t that great. Still cool to have a Shane Black toy

Also taking a cue from Xenomrph, here’s my Predator stuff, minus a few who are on other shelves due to lack of room. All this is coming down next week due to moving.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I missed out on the Elder Predator, and I’m hesitant to get him off eBay because eBay is rampant with Chinese knock-offs of Neca stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Elder’s kinda nice. I’d get the knockoff. It probably won’t be that much worse than NECA’s.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Figure Rise Broly comes with two different face plates, letting you display him showing a variety of emotions

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Love the pics but the harsh red lighting just doesn't do anything for me. Drowns out so much detail.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I find that a lot of action figure pics are straight out of late 90s/early 00s video games, with ridiculously oversaturated colored lighting washing out all of the details everywhere. I dunno why it's such a thing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Well I didn't win the Heath Ledger signed Joker card. I was willing to go about $5k but it ended up selling for about $13,200 (not including the 23% auction fee that Prop Store tacks on to the buyer's end).

Indy's fedora from Raiders went for $424,000.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

gregday posted:

Well I didn't win the Heath Ledger signed Joker card. I was willing to go about $5k but it ended up selling for about $13,200 (not including the 23% auction fee that Prop Store tacks on to the buyer's end).

Commission is standard for any auction and typically runs 15-25%. They get it from the buyer and the seller, and for auctions like this, can be very lucrative.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fuzz posted:

I find that a lot of action figure pics are straight out of late 90s/early 00s video games, with ridiculously oversaturated colored lighting washing out all of the details everywhere. I dunno why it's such a thing.

Taking pictures don’t do it for me unless there’s some kind of element that lets me play with the lighting and mood. There’s a million other pictures that show the figure and it’s detail. I just want to see how to give it some style. It’s half the reason I buy these toys, they look cool on the shelf, but they’re also a great way to practice lighting for when I make a short film and I can see how the light interacts with the subject and or the background.

In this case it wasn’t anything but “ i shot something for a short film and forgot to unplug the red light” lol

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Taking pictures don’t do it for me unless there’s some kind of element that lets me play with the lighting and mood. There’s a million other pictures that show the figure and it’s detail. I just want to see how to give it some style. It’s half the reason I buy these toys, they look cool on the shelf, but they’re also a great way to practice lighting for when I make a short film and I can see how the light interacts with the subject and or the background.

In this case it wasn’t anything but “ i shot something for a short film and forgot to unplug the red light” lol

Oh no, it's no judgment call or anything, it's more that people use a lot of direct colored lighting when honestly, some of the best photos I've seen use only colored lights, but they're used indirectly or in concert with partial filters and the like to really make the magic happen.

Part of it is that I'm really into ACBA, which I know a lot of people here don't give a poo poo about, but honestly seeing the C sides and learning how some of these guys pull off their shots using only practical effects, lighting, really good staging, and manual camera settings is really intriguing to me. A lot of people just want to take pictures of their toys, that's cool too.

It's similar to how some people don't care if their figures are in realistic or non-stiff neutral poses, whereas for me that would drive me nuts... the whole point of an articulated figure is the posing, first and foremost... if you don't care about posing them, then just buy statues.

But again, I'm in the minority with that opinion a lot of the time, so just ignore me.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Fuzz is into ACBA?

I never knew! :D

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

gregday posted:

It should be in a museum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Saturniid19 posted:

Oh please. You know exactly when that hat is going to be worn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw it in a museum.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I saw it in a museum.

The Eagle Scout medal is a perfect touch.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Saturniid19 posted:

I got your joke

The Moon
Jun 8, 2006
In Space
My Walmart just restocked the full Lizard Spider-Man wave and the full Warlock X-Men wave. Snagged mysterio, cool effects and I dig the skull under the fishbowl.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/toysera1008/posts/2170743906333567?__tn__=-R

THE STEEL 2.0 and looking good!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Butt doesn’t look nearly squeezable enough for DP. :colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda sad the alternate head sculpt isn't missing a tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally, the perfect centerpiece for anyone's Alien collection

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/1043387319632289792