Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They reference it during Warrior's '98 run when he teams up with Sting against Hogan and I think Bret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i forgot that goldberg skipped fall brawl entirely as champion lmao

He was supposed to have a match against Jericho but refused to do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Numero6 posted:

It's something Jericho pitched and he refused.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Numero6 posted:

Yeah he was off that PPV because giving your biggest guy the biggest drawing cards off is a wise and reasonable move.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It's something Jericho pitched and he refused.

was this when jericho brought out a mini goldberg and beat him up and it never went anywhere

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think this was overed in Death of WCW. They claimed Bill was listening to "the wrong people" and these wrong people told him feuding with a guy on Jericho's level would hurt him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

saffi faildotter posted:

was this when jericho brought out a mini goldberg and beat him up and it never went anywhere

Yeah, Jericho had been challenging Goldberg but Goldberg wouldn't come out so Jericho counted it as a count-out victory. Eventually Goldberg does show up and literally spears Jericho out of his shoes (because Chris wore untied wrestling shoes for the effect) but they never got an actual match because the next PPV was the one where Goldberg had off and also hated the idea because he was a "serious" wrestler. This was made funnier by the fact they got into an actual fight later and Jericho choked him out. As NikkolasKing pointed out this was people getting into both guys' heads backstage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I think this was overed in Death of WCW. They claimed Bill was listening to "the wrong people" and these wrong people told him feuding with a guy on Jericho's level would hurt him.

Specifically Hogan.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

They were? I had no idea

Edit: well I'll bring damned.

I saw these guys in Pensacola, FL back in the glory days of the UWF. I had no idea of the greatness I was witnessing, destrucity right there in front of me.

I do, however, remember the very sweaty man in overalls in front of me with a hot dog neck roll standing up and screaming, "RIP HIS HEAD OFF AND poo poo DOWN HIS NECK, STING!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't even know Hillbilly Jim was in the UWF.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
the danger zone

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Specifically Hogan.

Jericho cites Nash as well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
No one knew what they had with Jericho and I'm including WWF in this. That his best year ever was probably 2019 is both an indictment of how it took that long for him to get the feather in his cap and praise that AEW knew what he was and ran with it.

Even when we won wrestler of the year for 2009 or so and The List etc. That 2019 run was what put him on the short list of GOAT comparisons to Flair given longevity, consistency, and that he didn't fall off.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wish he got a longer run with the roh title

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Lid posted:

No one knew what they had with Jericho and I'm including WWF in this. That his best year ever was probably 2019 is both an indictment of how it took that long for him to get the feather in his cap and praise that AEW knew what he was and ran with it.

Even when we won wrestler of the year for 2009 or so and The List etc. That 2019 run was what put him on the short list of GOAT comparisons to Flair given longevity, consistency, and that he didn't fall off.

It sounds crazy but I've been feeling this exact same way. It was his AEW/ROH run that solidified him as one of the all time greats, and I think that's pretty special.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I don't know, WWE did make him the first Undisputed Champ over The Rock & Austin. But then had no idea what to do with him and gave him Steph. I think giving him Steph was the worst aspect of that run.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Even at the time that run was notorious for how quarter baked it was. Going into wrestlemania he was the champion and in the main event. The program was the feud between Triple H and Stephanie's dog. They didn't put the belt on him for what five to seven years after that? And even then he wasn't treated as the guy.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

his njpw matches proved to me he was the goat.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

syzpid posted:

I don't know, WWE did make him the first Undisputed Champ over The Rock & Austin. But then had no idea what to do with him and gave him Steph. I think giving him Steph was the worst aspect of that run.

As a kid who was a longtime Jericho fan I was so loving stoked that he beat both of those guys in one night. Then, of course, they did what they do and it didn’t seem like he was ever presented as a serious competitor despite being Undisputed Champion.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

syzpid posted:

That angle wasn't about Jericho. It was about HHH's triumphant return. Which would have been a good idea had it not involved HHH (and Jericho suddenly simping for Steph).
And then cue five more years of HHH making sure Jericho wouldn't get one on him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah his first run with the World Title was really just as a belt pillow for HHH return. His other world title runs were the secondary world title and never as the guy

It wasn't till his New Japan run that he was treated as a big guy and that's part of the reason why he started looking elsewhere

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That Jericho Undisputed Title run...

Vengeance 2001: Jericho beats the Rock because Vince McMahon came in, ineffectually attacked the Rock, ref was distracted by the Vincing and Jericho punched Rock in the nuts to win. He then won the second match against Austin thanks to copious interference again from Vince, low blows, and ultimately Booker T running in and hitting Austin with the title.
Royal Rumble 2002: Jericho again beats the Rock because of interference from Lance Storm and Christian, a heel referee, another low blow, an exposed turnbuckle, and his feet on the ropes.
No Way Out 2002: Jericho beats Austin via a 3 on 1 beatdown by the debuting NWO
Wrestlemania 18: HHH beats Jericho with a pedigree after Stephanie McMahon interferes on Jericho's behalf and HHH is hit with a chair to the head but The Game shakes it all off and takes out Jericho with one finisher
Backlash 2002: Jericho is not booked in a match but interferes ineffectually in the main event HHH vs. Hogan match
Judgment Day 2002: Triple H beats Jericho in a Hell in a Cell match third match from the top to end the Main Event Jericho experiment
King of the Ring 2002: Jericho loses to Rob Van Dam in a KOTR semifinal
Vengeance 2002: Jericho loses to a young blue chipper named John Cena in his PPV debut
Summerslam 2002: Jericho loses to a young blue chipper named Ric Flair
Vengeance 2002: Jericho gets his win back from Flair by pretending to be injured
No Mercy 2002: Jericho is now firmly planted in the tag team division, and next wins a world title in 2008

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Don't forget having an online meltdown because smarks didn't like the KOTR match vs RVD

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

zetamind2000 posted:

poop feud for control of the nwo

I think that would result in a New World... ODOR.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

That angle wasn't about Jericho. It was about HHH's triumphant return. Which would have been a good idea had it not involved HHH (and Jericho suddenly simping for Steph).
And then cue five more years of HHH making sure Jericho wouldn't get one on him.

Hence why Austin and Rock wanted nothing to do with being the first champ. Same way Ronnie Garvin got to be NWA champ; someone had to be the one to hand Flair the belt.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It's not like Jericho's 2008 and later world title runs were all that much better IMO.

2008 World Heavyweight Title Run #1:
-At Unforgiven in September, Wins a scramble match he cheats himself into after losing to HBK in an unsanctioned match. This is during the Serious Man in Suit phase which was acclaimed at the time, and during a really well received HBK feud.
-Defends against Punk on a random Raw to shuffle Punk back down to Midcard.
-Has a banger ladder match against HBK at No Mercy in October, wins
-Drops Title to Batista in a cage match at Cyber Sunday at the start of November

WHC 2008 Run #2:
-Wins title back from Batista 2 weeks later
-Beats HBK again
-Cuts promos against an absent John Cena, carrying a one sided feud, then Cena proceeds to beat him for the WHC at Survivor Series at the end of November.

WHC 2010:
-Wins an Elimination Chamber match in February where HBK's madness to rematch Undertaker makes him jump Taker and cost Taker the title.
-Feuds with a Rumble Winning Returning Edge where I mostly just remember Edge saying 'spear' a lot.
-Beats Edge at Mania 26.
-MITB Cash in to lose it to Jack Swagger the following Smackdown where Swagger does his own serious man in suit bit but much worse before at least giving us the Swagger Soaring Eagle.

Aaaaand... that's it. He never wins another world title in WWE. He's a pretty regular challenger, sort of a smaller Big Show, someone they can heat up quick for a title match.

But he never really had a good long run. The Undisputed Run was 98 days at least, but the runs I listed here were: 49, 20, and 37 days respectively.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jericho's '08 title runs were kinda superfluous to his main focus, which was "hatin' on Shawn Michaels." I know they fought for the belt at No Mercy but the only reason they had to fight over it was so the match could have a ladder.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Should've been a clipboard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the jericho/michaels feud is probably his best work pre-aew.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that or making william regal drink his piss

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've started the starrcade 87 and lmao at the booing starting in the 2nd match. I don't blame them that Windham/Dr. Death match was bad.

The starting six man match was fun until it ran out of time and was a draw.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
https://people.com/hulk-hogan-engaged-yoga-instructor-sky-daily-7565697

quote:

Hulk Hogan is engaged!

During a speech at a friend’s wedding over the weekend, the retired professional wrestler shared that he and girlfriend Sky Daily are planning on tying the knot, according to multiple reports.

Dude won't even let his friend go over at his own wedding. Legend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MD2020 posted:

Going for that sweet Scientology rejuvenation.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Going for that sweet Scientology rejuvenation.

Dianetics fixed my hip, or maybe it didn't, dude!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sky Daily sounds like a magazine produced for an airline that you only read if you forgot to bring a book and the movie sucks.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Thinking of Hogan and all his friends doing promos against the Dungeon of Doom or at a Survivor Series, where he has to get a word in between each guy's turn to speak, only they're wedding toasts.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Man starrcade 87. The express Skywalker match was decent and the nikita/Terry match was decent. Then they dusty finish the road warriors lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Dusty/Lugar match was decent and Flair/Garvin ended up being another great match. The flair/garvin matches are so good. They just kick the poo poo out of each other and both are great at selling it.

Overall though this starrcade was worse than all the others and the vibe in the arena was off. You could feel it while watching it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mr Hootington posted:

The Dusty/Lugar match was decent and Flair/Garvin ended up being another great match. The flair/garvin matches are so good. They just kick the poo poo out of each other and both are great at selling it.

Overall though this starrcade was worse than all the others and the vibe in the arena was off. You could feel it while watching it.

I don't know how much they've talked about it, but Starrcade '87 was their first live PPV, their first big show after merging with UWF (formerly known as Mid South), and their first big show shot outside of their home territory so they could seem more national and less southern. Of course the vibes are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MD2020 posted:

Hulk Hogan put those asses in the seats, the groom couldn't draw a dime.