Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Well the baby is turning 6 months tomorrow and I'm a little intimidated by the idea of feeding her solids. Does anyone have feelings about baby led weaning vs purees and any book recommendations for either? The other thing would be she hasn't cut teeth yet at all and I'm iffy about her being able to sit well in a high chair yet so not sure if that means I should delay it or what?

We've been giving our 8mo pretty much everything that's mildly soft for at least a month or two. Baked sweet potato spears are her favorite, any sort of bread a close second. She has no teeth yet, but shredded a chicken breast and consumed it without difficulty. Usually we give her the non-spiced things we're eating for dinner, and some sorta puree depending on what daycare gave her for lunch and/or how constipated she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Slaan posted:

:murder: is still an option

The whorehopper has politely informed us that the school misinformed us about the time she was dropped off at and said "oh this is a new routine don't worry".

Motherfucker literally went "the administrators lied to you" and the gaslighting farthuffer had the gall to end his message with "have a blessed day".

*edit*

"Mrs beatnik you said under oath that your daughter was dropped off an hour late but the school has her only being 58 minutes late. Why are you a liar and hate this perfect father so much?"

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 19, 2021

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

The whorehopper has politely informed us that the school misinformed us about the time she was dropped off at and said "oh this is a new routine don't worry".

Motherfucker literally went "the administrators lied to you" and the gaslighting farthuffer had the gall to end his message with "have a blessed day".

You and Koivunen have the patience of saints. Been reading the ongoing updates to my wife and we're all-in on team :murder:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vorkosigan posted:

You and Koivunen have the patience of saints. Been reading the ongoing updates to my wife and we're all-in on team :murder:

Funnily enough *everyone* that hears about it or watches the livestreamed hearings are on our side... save for the loving judges.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
In case this thread ends up quoted in a future trial I'd just like to clarify that you should absolutely :murder: him in the video game Minecraft and bury his corpse in the caves in that same video game, Minecraft.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I do not recognize the authority of a court that hangs the gold-fringed flag. A flag with gilded edges is the flag of an admirality court. An admirality court signifies a naval court-martial. I cannot be court-martialled twice. That is all. Furthermore,

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Anyone else excited about Microsoft's augmented reality tools that let you play Minecraft anywhere, any time?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Goofus can't be arsed to do the bare minimum with regards to his daughter's schooling.
Gallant reaches out to his daughter's teacher for fun assignments to do with her at home.

Goofus snoozes through all of the various school meet-ups.
Gallant and his wife are in regular contact with the teachers.

Goofus expects others to do work for him.
Gallant and his wife are careful to cultivate a working relationship with school officials.

Goofus claims that his daughter, who is in therapy, is perfectly fine and content despite all evidence to the contrary.
Gallant carefully and impartially lays out the difficulties his daughter faces but also highlights her strengths to ensure she gets support.

Now, Gallant's able to pick his daughter up from school without having to deal with all the poo poo Goofus now does.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Wait was there an actual consequence to the hour-late thing?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oh good heavens *no* why would you think that? There's officially nothing going on. The courts have spoken. My wife and I would never dream of stepping on anyone's toes or doing anything other than passive coparents with my daughter's biodad.

It is not our fault nor was it our intention for certain third parties to begin keeping an eye out for certain things and double checking stuff after a friendly chat with her teacher.

Unrelatedly, the ogre toddler's officially two and his favorite thing to do is wrap his arms around my neck and snuggle in for a hug.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Pirate Captain posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts about melatonin as a sleep aid? My daughter is 4 and when she doesn’t get enough sleep she acts out - yesterday she kicked her daycare teacher in the mouth. Normally she’s a very sweet child, not aggressive at all, but that all changes if she doesn’t sleep.

Her pediatrician said we could try melatonin but from what I can find there are exactly zero scientific studies on the long term effects of melatonin when given to kids. Combine that with a lot of studies showing that the dose it says on the bottle is not necessarily what you’re getting in the gummy and I’m very nervous about it.

sheri posted:

There was some discussion of melatonin in this thread back in September.

I personally wouldn't give it to a child because of a few reasons, mostly what you cited already.

Yep. In most of the world it's considered a prescription drug, and generally treated with caution. The whole thing of it being a supplement (with poorly-regulated manufacturing) is fairly specific to the US/Canada.

Like Sheri, I'd be hesitant to give it to a kid. And if I did, I would use it as a rare occasion thing, like for a night or two to reset a disrupted sleep pattern.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

space uncle posted:

The plastic catch bibs with the little basin are nice for dropped food.

Seconding this. The basin doesn’t even have to be that big for this to help A TON. Also try out a full poncho if the mess gets too crazy. Helped my daughter avoid a lot of baths while she was learning to eat.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dreissi posted:

Seconding this. The basin doesn’t even have to be that big for this to help A TON. Also try out a full poncho if the mess gets too crazy. Helped my daughter avoid a lot of baths while she was learning to eat.

Funny thing, she likes to grab the basin and chew on that so it dumps any caught food out all over her and the surrounding areas haha.
It's a work in progress.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

hallo spacedog posted:

Funny thing, she likes to grab the basin and chew on that so it dumps any caught food out all over her and the surrounding areas haha.
It's a work in progress.

Ours too. He grabs the bottom of the bib, bends it in half, and gnaws on the lip.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Toddler lost his poo poo for a full half hour. Why?

Because we do not have swim pants. We have never had “swim pants”. Yet we had to insist that we get “swim pants” in order to go to swim class, where not only have we never worn “swim pants”, we also have never laid eyes upon another child wearing this elusive attire in the history of our three and a half years of life outside Mommy’s uterus.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Well I mean, people wear swim shirts/rash guards. It’s reasonable to assume that a lower half garment exists like normal pants and that everyone else in the pool is just forgetful.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Well I mean, people wear swim shirts/rash guards. It’s reasonable to assume that a lower half garment exists like normal pants and that everyone else in the pool is just forgetful.

I’m sure it does, but it has never existed in our toddler’s life, though he does wear swim shirts. It’s like the idea came out of thin air

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My kids slowly been rolling his wake up time to 4am and today he woke up at 5:15. Never been so excited to wake up at 5:15 goddamn

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Almost-three child made me so proud this morning when she looked at a pancake cut in half and said, "That's a D for Doggy!"

Then immediately squandered it by following it up with "We're talking about numbers." :eng99: Of course not, still immensely proud.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

life is killing me posted:

I’m sure it does, but it has never existed in our toddler’s life, though he does wear swim shirts. It’s like the idea came out of thin air

One time I ran away from home, loaded up my training wheeled bike up with my worldly treasures and set off to seek my fortune (or at least more loving caregivers) before getting like two blocks and stopping. Why? Because my mom wouldn’t put the Beauty and the Beast sheets on my bed. We never owned any Beauty and the Beast sheets. I was sure we did that day and am now pretty convinced I had a realistic dream.

As a parent I now experience this memory differently.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Once again that just proves that "i hope your kids grow up like you did" is a curse and not a blessing.

Further adventures in my life?

Horsefucker finally went "um well okay going to talk to a cardiologist about the vaccine stuff you bombarded me with, yeah totally going to do that." Oddly enough it's been radio silence ever since we went "we'll follow up with you after the consultation. Please give us the doctor's name and the date/time."

"Oh here's the homework [daughter] did with us that lists my name first and you guys last! Just going to upload it to Our Family Wizard to show off how loving amazing I am and how much she prefers being over here!"
"... dude you do realize that we can tell when it's not her handwriting, right? That's not how she draws people or writes out our or her names."

Seriously. We have a stack of her homework from throughout the year plus all the random "i <3 X" notes she leaves us and it's as clear as day. Different i's, g's, you name it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Forging your own kids non-existent cute love notes is next level shitguy.

Edit: 19 month old has grown very fond of growling back at me and it's very good. Current status in the Organs household is just everyone growling 24/7.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

"Oh if it was up just to me I'd not vaccinate [daughter] until it had full approval but it's not up to just me. So how about we compromise and wait until it's no longer approved for just emergency use? Since my focus is on what's best for our daughter?"
"... that's not what EUA means you loving moron."

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 21, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Really seems like his focus is winning some kind of popularity contest, which he appears to be doing poorly in anyways.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Really seems like his focus is winning some kind of popularity contest, which he appears to be doing poorly in anyways.

The guy's a malignant narcissist and the only popularity contest he cares about is with himself. Dude literally turned us following the advice of our daughter's therapist - be truthful, allow her to feel her feelings - into a bludgeon to hit my wife over the head with. Guy cried foul of us sending him pictures of him returning our daughter dirty and with scratches as "they're documenting everything about her that's terrible" while brushing off all the recordings and videos he claimed to make of her saying bad things about her as "i never said that/i'd never do that" while we had his messages up on screen.

Anyway. The ogre toddler's been a little less of a butt today and we took him out on his tricycle stroller. Lots of ooo's and ah's from neighbors. We're having my sister's family and my parents over for turkeyday lunch as well.

We're also setting up plans for revamping both kids' rooms. My daughter's future loft bed has a slide!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
17mo was tossing in his crib a bit at 1030 last night so I checked on him and thought "I bet I can change his diaper quick to avoid leaks in the morning time"

But goddamn if I didn't catch him in between sleep cycles or something because he woke up and was loving awake awake until 3am :tootzzz:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I really do wish my son would 1) stop coughing in my face and 2) stop treating my attempts at getting boogers out of his nose as if I'm trying to yank his soul out through his nostrils.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

citybeatnik posted:

I really do wish my son would 1) stop coughing in my face and 2) stop treating my attempts at getting boogers out of his nose as if I'm trying to yank his soul out through his nostrils.

Right there with you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I started telling mini pony that I'm going to clean his nose before I do it and that helped so much it isn't even funny. Just a quick "I'm going to wipe you nose, it will just take a moment" is all it took for him, I couldn't believe it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ogre toddler just turned two so I'm not sure how much of this is him being a patoot. He understands what we say, he just doesn't seem to care. Also working on discipline which is going about as well as you'd expect.

His 2 year check up's tomorrow morning so that'll be fun. It'll also give me a chance to fill in my daughter's pediatrician on the stupidity horsehumper's putting us through.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Agreed. I wish mine would stop whining when we give him an at-home Covid test that involves…swirling a swab in each nostril. The horror!

On that front we are pretty sure he has strep, his fever almost came back but stopped at 99.4 so he didn’t quite develop a fever. That said, he was not feeling well yesterday and we called nurse triage, who had us make an appointment and really harped on the idea that we should check him for Covid via PCR testing at drive through, because I told her his classroom at preschool had had a Covid exposure. I guess Covid can manifest as just a fever and vomiting, excluding the normal telltale signs completely, so now we are nervous as gently caress because we sent him back to preschool this past Thursday and Friday after he was home three days and his fever dissipated naturally (though he threw up a few more times and has complained a few times of his tummy hurting).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

My baby does an excited little wiggle dance and big open mouth face-plant kisses nearly every time I pick him up and it’s super cute :3:

It’s crazy how much even those little things can differ between kids and how young it starts. Nature vs nurture is wild.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

My baby does an excited little wiggle dance and big open mouth face-plant kisses nearly every time I pick him up and it’s super cute :3:

It’s crazy how much even those little things can differ between kids and how young it starts. Nature vs nurture is wild.

Our daughter does this. I swear one day a couple weeks ago while I was playing with her in front of the mirror, she pulled my face to hers and planted a big sloppy open-mouth baby kiss on my cheek, on purpose. She is 7mo so not sure how deliberate she could have been, but either way I could have melted into a small puddle right there, it was so loving adorable.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

life is killing me posted:

Our daughter does this. I swear one day a couple weeks ago while I was playing with her in front of the mirror, she pulled my face to hers and planted a big sloppy open-mouth baby kiss on my cheek, on purpose. She is 7mo so not sure how deliberate she could have been, but either way I could have melted into a small puddle right there, it was so loving adorable.

At 6 months mine does this frequently so I believe it could be intentional.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah, mine is 8mo and even throws a sound in there to approximate a ‘mwah’. It’s definitely on purpose and I love it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

That is pretty awesome TBH. Our first didn’t really do that, he was adorable in his own ways and did other things to express affection.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am having to learn all new hair care routines and products that were never even remotely in my line of sight before. That whole skipping generations things for traits is turning out to be quite accurate for my life. I have a very unknown percentage of black ancestry in myself (Appalachian mountain folk didn't keep real great records), and my partner is Native American and white and "We have no idea, there are no adoption records we just know they were adopted". Which has come down to my partner looking very mixed race, myself clocking as white usually but randomly as Hispanic because ???, and a child that can best be visually described as Alarmingly White. Except for his hair. His hair has changed over time and has ended up with a mix of traits I've never had to deal with before.

Thankfully, my coworkers have been really open to giving me advice following my "please help, his hair is dryer than the desert" pleas.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
My newborn is in the NICU on a ventilator and about to have an MRI.

He had his first helicopter ride at 2 hours old.

The pregnancy was great. It’s our first child and my wife’s body did just fine. No real issues, nothing of merit to worry about… during labor baby kept going into deceleration on contractions. Nothing too severe, but at +20h from water breaking they decided to do a caesarean.

Baby’s heart rate was ~150 and stable right before they wheeled my wife over to the OR.

10 minutes later I watched the nurse put a blue baby on the cart and a team of doctors and nurses performing a resuscitation. CPR + intubation and every siren in the room going off. That room went from 5 calm staff to 20+ people in full chaos mode before I could fully realize the gravity myself.

They flew him over to a NICU with a cooling unit. He just finished 72 hours cooled to 32c, and is now at just about normal temp.

His heart is strong, his O2 sats are good, and he’s consistently over-breathing the vent on his own.

But he still doesn’t move much. He’s reactive to touch and grimaces at being poked and prodded, but otherwise its like looking at the calmest sleeping baby you’ve ever seen.

This is the hardest thing I’ve ever been through. I’m so scared.

eta: My wife is recovering well and is being as strong as she can be.

Hibajubwa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 21, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That's terrifying. I hope everyone comes through okay, physically and emotionally. ❤️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
That is scary as hell. My wife had an emergency C section while being monitored on pitocin and I remember how insanely frightening it was to have the room just be bum rushed by a dozen people and then 2 minutes later I’m alone in there sobbing.

They can do incredible things in the NICU these days, I think more of my friends’ and I’s kids spent time in there than didn’t. I hope everything gets better and you are hugging your little one soon.