Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I don't know that it's horror per se, but is Church in the Darkness any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Black August posted:

I'm begging God and Satan both for a Darkwood 2 that's a massive half-procegen deal that plays a little more complex and hardcore. There's so much happening there that could be doubled up and hard polished to make something real nasty fun.

I feel like they could tell an entirely new tale and mythology, though. Darkwood wraps up pretty neatly, and the threads left hanging don't need to be explained.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 9, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kokoro Wish posted:

I feel like they could tell an entirely new tale and mythology, though. Darkwood wraps up pretty neatly, and the threads left hanging don't need to be explained.

Oh, it doesn't need to be the same story at all. They can do whatever, I just mean "iterate on Darkwood's mechanics and aesthetics, take it to the next level it deserves"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Downloaded Siren (aka Forbidden Siren) and uh....really no idea what im doing. I assume plot stuff will come together as I play and piece together the story, so that's fine, but I really have no idea how I'm supposed to play the game, and kind of just run around until I find where the current mission wants me to go, shibito tailing behind me.

I guess I'm supposed to use the sightjacking to see where enemies are and such, but I can never really use that to my advantage and just end up running into them anyway.

Spent like half an hour last night on the first mission you get with the old man that has a sniper rifle, getting my rear end handed to me again and again because I couldn't find out where the heck a mine cart was, or where a key was, or where a door was (reading a walkthrough later, apparently very close to the key).

Anyway, Amy's tips n tricks? And should I be attempting to get the alternate paths as I find them, or pass on them until the chapter select, which I assume will arrive when I hit an ending of sorts?

Edit: I quite like the facial animations, they would've impressed the hell out of me if I had played this back then. The voice acting is also an unintentional highlight.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's pretty much the Siren experience. Don't feel at all bad about checking a walkthrough if you get lost or confused.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

in siren, at the beginning of each level its a good idea to spend some time sightjacking shibito, not only to find out where they are and get acquainted with the level layout/enemy placement (cross reference with your ingame map, which has points of interest or landmarks that you can highlight) but to find any key item/interactive object/lock combination because there is always a shibito with a patrol path that takes him right to or at least near whatever it is and stares at it for a little bit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Downloaded Siren (aka Forbidden Siren) and uh....really no idea what im doing. I assume plot stuff will come together as I play and piece together the story, so that's fine, but I really have no idea how I'm supposed to play the game, and kind of just run around until I find where the current mission wants me to go, shibito tailing behind me.

I guess I'm supposed to use the sightjacking to see where enemies are and such, but I can never really use that to my advantage and just end up running into them anyway.

Spent like half an hour last night on the first mission you get with the old man that has a sniper rifle, getting my rear end handed to me again and again because I couldn't find out where the heck a mine cart was, or where a key was, or where a door was (reading a walkthrough later, apparently very close to the key).

Anyway, Amy's tips n tricks? And should I be attempting to get the alternate paths as I find them, or pass on them until the chapter select, which I assume will arrive when I hit an ending of sorts?

Edit: I quite like the facial animations, they would've impressed the hell out of me if I had played this back then. The voice acting is also an unintentional highlight.

Use a guide, it's like one of the top obtuse games of that generation. Even if you start out okay without one eventually you'll hit a dead end because you didn't do one of the secret but still mandatory second objectives in each stage. Also it's just hard as poo poo in general.
Don't bother trying to do alternate stuff until you unlock stage select though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I disagree about using a guide, but I also don't value my time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Honorable conduct is to set a time limit for trying to organically problem solve and then using a guide when that limit is exceeded. I'll bash my head against most puzzles in most games for up to 30 minutes. I stopped going with full samurai NO GUIDES EVER after a lifetime of discovering all I had to do was click the pixel slightly to the left of the god drat obstacle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finished the DDLC side stories.

I want to loving cry. I did cry. These are conversations I wish I had ten years ago and they're stabbing at me, probing me.

I loved the ending and I'm glad that these stories do exist. But gently caress man, the base game messed with me on a psychological "what if?" level while these side stories aren't what ifs and are very real, raw scenarios, even if they are written without much subtlety. But I really think the foghorn approach to discussing these issues is necessary to help with people's mental health.

Take care of yourselves. Check up on your friends. I need to make some phone calls.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Monika and...Yuri, I think? scene where Yuri says she feels bad for having certain thoughts (in her case, feeling intellectually superior; in my case, self hatred) and Monika assures her that

quote:

"You are not your feelings, they're a state of being that we don't always have control over but that doesn't mean they have to control US."

"I could never be mad at you for feeling a certain way. It's how you handle it."

"We can hate ourselves for feeling a certain way about things. Or we can just acknowledge that the feelings exist and try to understand them bette.r"

"These are learned skills...they didn't come naturally to me either."
is verbatim things my partner has said to me before when I'm in a bad place. Wish we could all be so zen, eh?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Read After Burning posted:

The Monika and...Yuri, I think? scene where Yuri says she feels bad for having certain thoughts (in her case, feeling intellectually superior; in my case, self hatred) and Monika assures her that

is verbatim things my partner has said to me before when I'm in a bad place. Wish we could all be so zen, eh?

Yuri is basically me if I my mental state was transplanted into an anime schoolgirl it is downright eerie and the game knows it by pointing out how we often see the worst parts of ourselves reflected in others (which in turn feeds into that negative feedback loop). I'm even left handed, like her.

She was also the one that I related to most in the base game. Sayori's chronic depression and suicidal thoughts are front and center but Yuri's fear of obsession and losing yourself while knowing you're losing your self-control is a really primal fear I've felt over the pandemic.

So yeah, her side stories hit me like a loving freight train. Understanding and Self Love were especially hard to sit through.

But on a positive note, the message in self love about sometimes needing to accept love from another before you can accept it within yourself does give me hope that I can make it happen someday. Thrive rather than simply persist.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 14, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

:yeah: I'm left-handed, big-tittied, and love reading about hosed-up murder poo poo....I don't have dark hair, though I wish I did.

The hints/easter eggs towards the fella's potential upcoming game has been pretty intriguing. DDLC seems like a "one and done" kind of story and experience, so I'm curious what he's planning next.

quote:

But on a positive note, the message in self love about sometimes needing to accept love from another before you can accept it within yourself does give me hope that I can make it happen someday.

Yeah, "you have to love yourself before you can love someone else" is a pretty poisonous mindset that's been going around for years (Rupaul even says it all the time in Drag Race). Like, I get what they're INTENDING to say, but...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

:yeah: I'm left-handed, big-tittied, and love reading about hosed-up murder poo poo....I don't have dark hair, though I wish I did.

The hints/easter eggs towards the fella's potential upcoming game has been pretty intriguing. DDLC seems like a "one and done" kind of story and experience, so I'm curious what he's planning next.

Well I'm not a big tittied dark hair girl, I'm a 28 year old blond load bearing pillar. But mentally I have been in the same spot and it hurts.

This is the end for DDLC though. I've been digging through the game emails and between the ARG messages saying "we've gotten all the data we can from this simulation" and Yuri and Natsuki's talk about endings versus dragging stories out too long, it does feel like this was meant to be a final send-off to end a really sad game on a happy note.

To move away from the emotional overload, I'm interested to see what Team Salvato does with their overarching message of trying to contact God. Monika created the Player Character to act as a proxy for her to contact the player outside of the simulation, and the book Yuri reads (which is likely a preview for his next game given the emails support the theory) talks about how the Project Libitina simulation inhabitants are trying to message their creators through human experiments.

Making a connection with your creator to see if what you experience is real or not. That's some Blade Runner poo poo about human reality and I'm all for it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

To move away from the emotional overload, I'm interested to see what Team Salvato does with their overarching message of trying to contact God.

Making a connection with your creator to see if what you experience is real or not.

If you like that kinda thing, you played We Know the Devil? Teen angst + horror + trying to contact God/Satan..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/435300/We_Know_the_Devil/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/we-know-the-devil-switch/

Edit: in hindsight, apologies if "teen angst" came across as dismissive or anything. I use that term to refer to "teenagers/young adults grappling with Real poo poo and Mental Health", not "Who is talking poo poo and who is dating who "? :) It's a good game, if short..check it out.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 14, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

in siren, at the beginning of each level its a good idea to spend some time sightjacking shibito, not only to find out where they are and get acquainted with the level layout/enemy placement (cross reference with your ingame map, which has points of interest or landmarks that you can highlight) but to find any key item/interactive object/lock combination because there is always a shibito with a patrol path that takes him right to or at least near whatever it is and stares at it for a little bit

This is going to potentially sound like 'hur dur screw the tutorial' speak, but use theres an in-game map?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Morpheus posted:

This is going to potentially sound like 'hur dur screw the tutorial' speak, but use theres an in-game map?

One that doesn't have a player marker, so, still trying to find landmarks and stuff is all you can do.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

If you like that kinda thing, you played We Know the Devil? Teen angst + horror + trying to contact God/Satan..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/435300/We_Know_the_Devil/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/we-know-the-devil-switch/

Edit: in hindsight, apologies if "teen angst" came across as dismissive or anything. I use that term to refer to "teenagers/young adults grappling with Real poo poo and Mental Health", not "Who is talking poo poo and who is dating who "? :) It's a good game, if short..check it out.
i liked this but the sound is ear-rape

i also enjoyed their game heaven will be mine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

My friends and I just finished a playthrough of Buddy Simulator 1984. It's a peculiar game, one that may bring up memories of something Alike Pony Island due to its presentation and style. But it's not that, it's something....different. I don't want to say any more, worrying about spoilers and such.

I think it's appropriate for the thread, given some of the events that occur in it, but there's also this undercurrent in it that certainly fits. Anyway it's on steam or itch.io, and I'd say worth a playthrough of a couple hours.

big thanks for recommending this, one of the better indies i've played this year. i know that it's basically DDLC in an rpg skin, but the amount of effort put into the non-creepypasta parts of it was great too. this is a really solid combat system! you could have made an entire game out of it easily

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Len posted:

They were jumping through some real hoops Qanon style too. It was ridiculous

ARGs drive people insane and anything resembling an ARG causes the afflicted to smack against it like a moth against a bug-zapper.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

My problem with Buddy Simulator 1984 is, ending spoilers, you're almost guaranteed to get the most boring ending. The other two endings, having watched videos of them, are both really good and hit some solid emotional notes, but the 'neutral' ending is just kind of rote. Which would be fine if the process of playing towards the other two endings was noticeably different, but it kinda just seems like doing the same exact game again, with some minor flavor differences. Kind of a bummer.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Varinn posted:

My problem with Buddy Simulator 1984 is, ending spoilers, you're almost guaranteed to get the most boring ending. The other two endings, having watched videos of them, are both really good and hit some solid emotional notes, but the 'neutral' ending is just kind of rote. Which would be fine if the process of playing towards the other two endings was noticeably different, but it kinda just seems like doing the same exact game again, with some minor flavor differences. Kind of a bummer.

I really wish on subsequent playthroughs that you could speedrun through things more. I tried to get the key behind the house right away, but Buddy forced me back on rails and that was the precise moment I lost interest in a second playthrough.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dienes posted:

I really wish on subsequent playthroughs that you could speedrun through things more. I tried to get the key behind the house right away, but Buddy forced me back on rails and that was the precise moment I lost interest in a second playthrough.

While you can't speed run, if you attempt to sequence break enough then buddy will have an existential breakdown as he realizes you've done this before and he is just a program.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why do horror games makers think having an enemy that appears randomly and kills you instantly if it touches you is good gameplay

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Why do horror games makers think having an enemy that appears randomly and kills you instantly if it touches you is good gameplay

Because it's a cheap jump scare.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sakurazuka posted:

It means you can just implement very simple pathfinding.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sakurazuka posted:

Appreciation of the basis of all horror games, Zork

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Stories Untold is on sale in the PSN indie sale, so I'm grabbing that thanks to the talk in this thread. Looks like Mundaun is on sale, too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Stories Untold is on sale in the PSN indie sale, so I'm grabbing that thanks to the talk in this thread. Looks like Mundaun is on sale, too.

Mundaun is a really interesting game. It has some bizarre mechanics, an peculiar setting I've not seen before in a horror game, and an art style that does a good job of conveying unreal situations and environments. Its also got a style of horror you rarely see these days, one bereft of jump scares of big gory monsters.

I see Sinking City is on sale for about $15 CAD. I know it's not super well received, but how about at that price? And is it a sort of watchable game, or too slow-paced and/or dialogue heavy for that?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Morpheus posted:

Mundaun is a really interesting game. It has some bizarre mechanics, an peculiar setting I've not seen before in a horror game, and an art style that does a good job of conveying unreal situations and environments. Its also got a style of horror you rarely see these days, one bereft of jump scares of big gory monsters.

I see Sinking City is on sale for about $15 CAD. I know it's not super well received, but how about at that price? And is it a sort of watchable game, or too slow-paced and/or dialogue heavy for that?

I really enjoyed it up until the point when it autosaved as I was dying in an underwater mission.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Look it up to ensure that the Sinking City money goes to the devs and not the people who stole it? That whole situation is wild. Bummer for the Frogworks crew.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I bought it at about that price and I would say it is unfortunately not worth it. The game has no business being open world, there is absolutely nothing interesting going on in it, the combat is atrocious and the enemies respawn constantly, every side mission is exactly the same. There is definitely some neat story stuff in there but playing the game is such a massive slog that I just had to drop it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hakkesshu posted:

I bought it at about that price and I would say it is unfortunately not worth it. The game has no business being open world, there is absolutely nothing interesting going on in it, the combat is atrocious and the enemies respawn constantly, every side mission is exactly the same. There is definitely some neat story stuff in there but playing the game is such a massive slog that I just had to drop it.

:same: I muddled my way through the first couple missions until I saw the rest of the game stretching out in front of me and dropped it. They could have made it similar to Call of Cthulhu 2018 and improved it but they might have worried about getting sued over it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

I'd say it's well worth playing at that price point as long as the money goes to the devs.
However it's not really a horror game, but more of an open world adventure game with occasional combat. Imagine Shenmue but trading mini games for guns and cthulhu.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked Sinking City enough to 100% it but I would highly suggest not doing any DLC that may come with it which is just a huge scavenger hunt for like a dozen lore items that are just quotes/references to love craft and add nothing to the story. $15 loonies is the right price, maybe took me 15 hours minus 2-3 for a brief replay to get all the cheevos.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh good lord, they're 'modernising' the Dead Space remake

https://screenrant.com/dead-space-remake-update-relevant-modern-audiences/amp/

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"we're doing away with things that didn't work"

I didn't mind it but what would the fanbase pan DS1 for.. the asteroid shooting turret part? The only things that didn't work that come to mind are what EA themselves did to DS3.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I mean...yeah.

They modernized the RE2 remake too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I mean it's screen rant (or game rant) which is a click bait aggregator now. Why wouldn't a remake put in modern quality of life elements and design choices anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only thing that sticks out as flaws to me are the insane power of the cutter and that ammo drops favor equipped weapons so there’s little incentive to vary your Arsenal and you’re actually punished for doing so.