Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yasuho removing the bit from her eye using needles was cool, but the rest was very uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Regarding what the stand can do, it looked like it was coming out of mitsuba's nails so I feel like it could have easily been as horrific if they were just swarming for yasuho's nails too or something :( I don't mean to be whining so much about this but it's just such an awkward and sore bit sticking out of something that I normally like a lot

It's not whining that whole part is creepy and it didn't help that before all that it seemed like Yasuho was getting a pantyshot every panel she was in.

Hopefully Mitsuba gets to be badass next month.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it mostly just ends up disappointing to me kind of like the stuff in steel ball run because everything else is so good and then you have these segments where you're never really sure if araki is trying to aim for a specific type of horror or if he's just a weirdo and if it's the former there's still other ways it can be accomplished especially given that the guy was able to heavily creep me out just by using a currency note and a portly dude with a stand that melts people

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The creepy stuff always comes off to me like Araki doesn't even realize it's creepy. Like it never feels like he's trying to sexualize the characters or titilate the audience with fanservice or anything like that, he never draws much attention to it aside from what it's trying to accomplish plot-wise, it just feels like some school kid pulling up a girl's skirt to tease her or something and not realizing there's deeper implications.

Of course that's probably just wishful thinking on my part. Either way it's definitely creepy and unnecessary and probably should have been avoided.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

He's probably focusing more on Japanese standards than Western ones. People over there are probably unfazed by it, at least compared to here.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Araki's art is the opposite of titillating

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think people forget that araki is majorally influenced by horror movies. He doesn't wear it on his sleeve but when the influence comes out it comes out hard

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's not whining that whole part is creepy and it didn't help that before all that it seemed like Yasuho was getting a pantyshot every panel she was in.

Hopefully Mitsuba gets to be badass next month.

It's weird to see so many of those shots clustered in one chapter. And yeah, it just seems like a really weird way to go and not even as scary as it could have been.

"Forced fusion" is a theory a lot of us have been kicking around for what ups the ante here, so I guess something like that is around the corner.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gaius Marius posted:

I think people forget that araki is majorally influenced by horror movies. He doesn't wear it on his sleeve but when the influence comes out it comes out hard

He's definitely aiming for a Rosemary's Baby influence here. Or at least, it seems like it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some parts of Jojolion seem to me like an editor told him “It’s in Ultra Jump, make it sexier” or something like that and Araki doesn’t know how to do that so he just makes the usual bizarre stuff become sexual somehow, or mentions boobs for no reason. I think being horny is a foreign concept to him. Basically, Sex = Useless

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UNXnAsGew

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
people talk about how The Sun could've defeated DIO in part 3. but in part 6 would jumping jack flash have been immune to - and thus able to defeat - made in heaven

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Some parts of Jojolion seem to me like an editor told him “It’s in Ultra Jump, make it sexier” or something like that and Araki doesn’t know how to do that so he just makes the usual bizarre stuff become sexual somehow, or mentions boobs for no reason. I think being horny is a foreign concept to him. Basically, Sex = Useless
i wonder how he got married and has two daughters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do you, Hirohiko Araki, take this woman to be your wife?

I doo~ooou

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
[Josuke chapter]

Josuke makes a sandwich but then eats it one ingredient at a time! Suddenly, he's attacked by a man with the power to turn concrete into fur! What clever techniques will Josuke utilize to defeat the enemy?

[Yasuho chapter]

Yasuho (running from a molester) takes the bus to Josuke's house (and gets molested on it) and encounters another enemy (who molests her) before revealing he's a stand user whose power is to drown people (but must be activated by molesting them)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

[Joshuu chapter]

Joshuu gets a job delivering pianos and enlists his best buddy Josuke to help. His first stop is a house at the top of a very long stairway.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would like to get behind the reading that this Araki tapping into his love of horror, but also I'd like to not happen. He's capable of much better horror

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
like I love the scene with Kira and Hayato scene in the bath because it's the Alone With The Killer thing where they both know they can destroy the other while also twisting the cultural roots and power dynamic in family bathing and then we cut back to a small shot of Hayato's corpse in the closet, he can do so well, this is just very :thunk:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, he's really good at horror. playing off of sexual assault is like bargain bin 'hey i'm a college age dude in a creative writing class who has no idea how to interact with women' poo poo 99% of the time and it's just disappointing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has there been a time when araki successfully used sexual assault imagery as horror without it coming across as gross and exploitative in some way?

Like, the closest I can think of is Dio kissing Erina and even that's troublesome, it's just broadcast in such a different light compared to pretty much any other instance of it in the series.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's honestly the best thing about Kira is that despite the sexuality in his motivations, sexual violence is never a part of it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hell, there's only a single moment in all of Kira's appearances that I can remember where he even mentions anything sexual.

God, Yoshikage Kira is the best villain Araki ever wrote.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I kind of disagree about Kira, given that his violence is inherently sexual but I know your larger point is that he's blowing people up, not assaulting them in a clearly defined way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Kira is a product killer. He doesn't get off on the murders, he's only interested in what the murders get him (corpse hands)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I kind of disagree about Kira, given that his violence is inherently sexual but I know your larger point is that he's blowing people up, not assaulting them in a clearly defined way

Yeah sorry, his violence is sexually motivated, but the threat he poses isn't a sexual one. Despite literally being someone who hunts women, Araki doesn't rely on using sexual assault as a threat to make him seem more menacing like say Berserk does with Wyald.

also I just realized the scene at the sandwich shop is a metaphor for Kiras lifestyle

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 21, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

also I just realized the scene at the sandwich shop is a metaphor for Kiras lifestyle

How so

Also yeah as far as just outright evil people go, Kira was bad but I wanna say Angelo was far worse in how he acted and committed his crimes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

How so

Also yeah as far as just outright evil people go, Kira was bad but I wanna say Angelo was far worse in how he acted and committed his crimes.
lmao i just woke up when i posted that, I meant microcosm and just mean that's what he does to morioh but on a smaller, localized scale. it's a great introduction the character

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's today!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTkti85HEqQ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

lmao i just woke up when i posted that, I meant microcosm and just mean that's what he does to morioh but on a smaller, localized scale. it's a great introduction the character

Ah, okay. I hope I didn't come across as doubtful or anything. I like reading about the various themes and takeaways people take from this series, especially since I feel like sometimes people downplay some of the things Araki has done in terms of storytelling.

As far as microcosms and Kira go, I'd have to go with the fact that the thing that finally killed Kira was an ambulance. A device intended to aid those of Morioh was what ultimately killed him and sent him out of Morioh, and none of it would have happened if a very specific set of events hadn't occurred along the way, starting with Joseph cheating on Suzie, Josuke healing Koichi so that Koichi wouldn't die from the stand arrow wound, and it's essentially fate itself that ultimately takes over Morioh in order to finally remove Kira from existence.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like, it says a lot about something skeeving me out in jojo when i genuinely don't have an issue with a villain whose entire m.o. is murdering women because he fetishizes their hands

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i feel like the stuff with Lucy never bothered me about SBR, a mixture of because I'm a huge SBR fan and also I could stupidly justify it to myself as at least more appropriate to the time period, but now that, this new chapter and the joshuu stuff I'm just.....like Araki, are you okay?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Didn't know the first lady coming on to a 14 year-old was period appropriate :v:

(I know what you mean, I'm just teasing ya)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Didn't know the first lady coming on to a 14 year-old was period appropriate :v:

(I know what you mean, I'm just teasing ya)

that part's hilarious because it's just so absurd

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

like, it says a lot about something skeeving me out in jojo when i genuinely don't have an issue with a villain whose entire m.o. is murdering women because he fetishizes their hands

Yeah, I mean, to be fair while I was nitpicking earlier: Kira is still my favorite villain.

But yes, the Lucy stuff messes up SBR for me and is upsetting and it's incredibly hard for me to justify Araki's approach here when it's not just what's happening to Yasuho, period, but also that the specific angles he's using to show her are kinda clearly titillating. "Oops! Panty shot! Things are scary!"

It's just kinda frustrating. Yasuho is written in a really uneven way and it is basically the only real complaint I have about Jojolion at this point.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

caught up with jojolion but man this part is exhausting. i kinda just want it to wrap up at this point which isnt a very jojo feeling to have :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, it's kind of wearing on me a bit and the panty shots didn't help

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I mostly just wish it had more of a consistent/coherent story. Maybe it's because I read through all of the other parts while they were complete but I feel like part 8 has a lot more unexplained random stuff brought up and then never brought up again and it's kind of annoying to read through and wonder what's going on because of a bunch of dropped/forgotten plot beats and it feels like it has more contradictions than the previous parts have had

It could just be that I'm feeling like that from having to wait month-to-month to read a chapter though

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
The rock human rokakaka conspiracy is basically a mystery story. That means that 1) consistency of small details is important and 2) we cant learn too much about the villains' motivations and personalities, since thatd spoil the mystery. So basically it exposes arakis greatest weakness as a writer and cant really make use of his strength in writing interesting characters. Im interested in what happens to Josuke and Yasuho and Jobin and Norisuke and Kaato but i dont really care about the rock human part of the story and i hope its done after this fight

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've been entertained by the overall story as it happens but the monthly pace definitely drags on a bit and it's like every chapter stops just short of unveiling something wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think Jojolion reads a lot better when you read it at your own pace. I don't seem to share the same experience as this thread whenever I catch up (minus the Yasuho stuff), and it's just hitting a lot of cool things about JoJo too. Honestly, I felt like it was one of the weakest parts until I re-read it some time ago and now it's just usually a joy.

Steel Ball Run is maybe one of the tidiest stories Araki's written for JoJo and that doesn't feel so long ago, so I'm still optimistic about where this mystery will go.