Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My wife got us an Odo action figure at a 2nd hand shop and he came with his bucket lol

Also got a Locutus, a phaser and a comm badge. The Bev Crusher figure was the bridge too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
That old Ghostbusters slime probably would have filled that bucket pretty good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
For some reason* all of Odo's accessories are bright rear end red. If it was slightly more accurate I would open the thing and fill it with honey lol.

*(rubbing together fingers to indicate money)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He plays Data with almost zero nuance and anytime he’s not playing Data he chews every single bit of scenery in a madcap performance. He’s not exactly a well rounded actor.

Autistic person spotted! :goonsay:

I actually used to think the same, but a recent rewatch showed it wasn't the case. He actually does some good subtle humour in a fair few episodes with facial expressions. Generally of the "Ooh, that is a loaded question with no good answer" kind.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I had a dumb trek question and accidentally lingered in the tviv thread for too long because I lost my bookmark to this one.

not

even

once
i just posted in there

:madmax:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My wife got us an Odo action figure at a 2nd hand shop and he came with his bucket lol

Also got a Locutus, a phaser and a comm badge. The Bev Crusher figure was the bridge too far.

Please buy your wife the bev crusher ghost-sex scented soap linked above

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Autistic person spotted! :goonsay:

I actually used to think the same, but a recent rewatch showed it wasn't the case. He actually does some good subtle humour in a fair few episodes with facial expressions. Generally of the "Ooh, that is a loaded question with no good answer" kind.

In the first and second seasons, sure, but by the third season any iota of of personality that wasn’t surface deep and obvious had been ironed out in favor of a blank slate that had trouble with even the most basic of human social concepts.

For me at least, it seemed obvious that season 1+2 Data had emotions but couldn’t properly express them, where as season 3 onward he’s totally emotionless and requires a literal chip to express anything. That’s how Spiner portrayed him and that’s why Data is so boring in the back half of the show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
a lot of that is due to Michael Piller, who hated the thought of Data having emotions and really hated the emotion chip even being a thing

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah no actor would enjoy playing a character lile data. Nit even a weirdo like brent spiner. That was producer fuckery

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i always thought of bajor as the southern united states post civil war and the cardassians as the union. i mean they're called the cardassian union.

...the gently caress? Literally the ONLY similarity between the Cardassian Union and the Union of the Civil War is that they have the word "Union" in the title of their political organization's name.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In the first and second seasons, sure, but by the third season any iota of of personality that wasn’t surface deep and obvious had been ironed out in favor of a blank slate that had trouble with even the most basic of human social concepts.

For me at least, it seemed obvious that season 1+2 Data had emotions but couldn’t properly express them, where as season 3 onward he’s totally emotionless and requires a literal chip to express anything. That’s how Spiner portrayed him and that’s why Data is so boring in the back half of the show.

Doesn't that have more to do with a shift in writing, though? It seems like starting with "In Theory" (season 3, I think) there was a clear decision to start writing Data more bleep-bloop, when before that it seems like what they were going for was more "Don't you see, Tin Man? You've had a heart all along!"

Up to that point, I don't think it was even expressly a thing that he didn't necessarily have emotions, it was simply that he wanted to be more "human" in a general sense.

I'd say Spiner did pretty good with the material. Playing no emotions and still being somewhat interesting is probably a hard thing to do.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Bajor as the south post reconstruction is the hottest trek take ive ever seen

Otoh they do both stay extremely lovely even after the conflict is over

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's obviously IvP in space

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

if the north is the cardassians and bajor is the csa, mexico is the delta quadrant

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Doesn't that have more to do with a shift in writing, though? It seems like starting with "In Theory" (season 3, I think) there was a clear decision to start writing Data more bleep-bloop, when before that it seems like what they were going for was more "Don't you see, Tin Man? You've had a heart all along!"

Up to that point, I don't think it was even expressly a thing that he didn't necessarily have emotions, it was simply that he wanted to be more "human" in a general sense.

I'd say Spiner did pretty good with the material. Playing no emotions and still being somewhat interesting is probably a hard thing to do.

I could see that being the case, and it also explains why Data immediately gets his emotion chip in Generations. Now that he had the leverage of being a fan favorite, I'm sure he insisted on that being written into the script.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Bajorans are space-Jews because they endured an attempted genocide and used terrorism and outside pressure to get their homeland back. . . but then the Ferengi are space Jews because they are racist 1920's Jewish caricatures, but the Cardassians are also space-Jews because they occupied another people's lands and created an apartheid state, but maybe the Founders are space-Jews because they controlled everything from the shadows. . .

Star Trek, space-Jews all the way to the bottom.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I could see that being the case, and it also explains why Data immediately gets his emotion chip in Generations. Now that he had the leverage of being a fan favorite, I'm sure he insisted on that being written into the script.

Yeah, IIRC Spiner wanted to showcase a wider range of acting chops for the big screen

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I like the one where Data and Beverly tap-dance. They should have been doing that in full uniform in the background of literally every TNG scene.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Just wanted to let this thread know that my lady friend has been binging ST and is now to season 3 of DS9. I walked out into the living room the other day to hear her simply exclaim "I LOVE GARAK!" in the way a young repressed farm boy would yell "I'M GAY?!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't forget post-occupation Ireland while we're here. Also the Vatican a bit.

Fantasy/sci fi alien cultures are often more interesting when they mix and match cultural elements, usefully also lets you do more social message episodes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Inescapable Duck posted:

Fantasy/sci fi alien cultures are often more interesting when they mix and match cultural elements, usefully also lets you do more social message episodes.

Or you can just go full-on Space Japan like Dark Matter did.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is the best way of stating that Dukat Did Nothing Wrong

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I mean if the Union in the US civil war had actually listened to Gul Dukat they would have realised that true victory isn't just when you defeat your opponent but make them realise and admit they were wrong to ever oppose you. The Union just simply defeated the South and that's why you still get people in the South with confederate flags and poo poo.

What im saying is that Gul Dukat should have lead the Union and not Abraham Lincoln.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
"Attention Alabama workers..."

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Federation, by it's guiding principles of manifest destiny, is the only ally that the chosen people of Bajor have. The traitorous Cardassians can barely get along with each other let alone have any kind of pan-species peace. We. Must. Not. Fail. Bajor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kitchner posted:

I mean if the Union in the US civil war had actually listened to Gul Dukat they would have realised that true victory isn't just when you defeat your opponent but make them realise and admit they were wrong to ever oppose you. The Union just simply defeated the South and that's why you still get people in the South with confederate flags and poo poo.

What im saying is that Gul Dukat should have lead the Union and not Abraham Lincoln.

No dukat should have immediately followed Lincoln, using Abes assassination as justification to crack down in those southern bastards and utterly destroy their will to resist. The restoration period did more harm than good because the terrible ideologies of the confederacy weren't expunged.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Dukat, more like DUDE HOT. This is not a joke.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Blistex posted:

Bajorans are space-Jews because they endured an attempted genocide and used terrorism and outside pressure to get their homeland back. . . but then the Ferengi are space Jews because they are racist 1920's Jewish caricatures, but the Cardassians are also space-Jews because they occupied another people's lands and created an apartheid state, but maybe the Founders are space-Jews because they controlled everything from the shadows. . .

Star Trek, space-Jews all the way to the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1UUgAmNMw0

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Arcsquad12 posted:

No dukat should have immediately followed Lincoln, using Abes assassination as justification to crack down in those southern bastards and utterly destroy their will to resist. The restoration period did more harm than good because the terrible ideologies of the confederacy weren't expunged.

It did more harm than good because they treated the South as a conquered vassal state and bled it of any resources. The North didn't give two shits about anyone, white or black.
This continued on for decades, pulling money out of here, and not investing it back. That poo poo right there is largely to blame for how behind we are in several areas.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*extremely weyoun voice*

The waaar of federation aggression

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Makes sense when you think about it, the dominions soldiers were also very concerned about the purity of the white

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Johnny Aztec posted:

It did more harm than good because they treated the South as a conquered vassal state and bled it of any resources. The North didn't give two shits about anyone, white or black.
This continued on for decades, pulling money out of here, and not investing it back. That poo poo right there is largely to blame for how behind we are in several areas.

I'm actually pretty sure the Cardassians said the same thing to explain why they had to enslave Bajorans and justify their racist views.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Should have went with the Shat's (alleged) suggestion of "Bridge on the captain."

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fasdar posted:

Just wanted to let this thread know that my lady friend has been binging ST and is now to season 3 of DS9. I walked out into the living room the other day to hear her simply exclaim "I LOVE GARAK!" in the way a young repressed farm boy would yell "I'M GAY?!"

Lol cool

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
the original Hellraiser is so much better after watching DS9

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always seen Bajor as post cold war Poland. Intensely religious, pins their freedom and resistance on their faith giving them solidarity when it was mostly just shifting global geopolitics and the internal politics of their oppressor, throws away all international sympathy for their past plight by constantly electing insane and incompetent governments that are always some combination of xenophobic, fundamentalist, and deeply afraid that membership in the federation (EU) will destroy their extremely special faith and culture via insidious conspiracy theories.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
DS9 (particularly season 1) is about the frontier in a very real sense. Federation is the Americans coming into New West (Bajor) after the Spanish (Cardassians) are forced to leave. The Bajoran's are the formerly suppressed natives. The Dominion are the Germans (aka Prussians). The guys from Move Along Home are the French.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
à la meringue.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 6, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Unrelated but my fav frontier story was in Ken Burns' doc "The West" where they talked about the chinese gold miners in the area who were kept to themselves, didn't learn english, didn't try and become citizens but were just killin' it left and right with the gold mining....so the racist rear end white miners got the local govt to force them off their prime locations into extremely lovely ones....where the Chinese guys just worked harder and kept making mad money, so the govt forced a special tax on the Chinese miners....who worked even harder and were still making a ton of money, so much that their tax revenue made up half the state of California's income....so the other miners just gave up and started attacking their mining sites and killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

DS9 (particularly season 1) is about the frontier in a very real sense. Federation is the Americans coming into New West (Bajor) after the Spanish (Cardassians) are forced to leave. The Bajoran's are the formerly suppressed natives. The Dominion are the Germans (aka Prussians). The guys from Move Along Home are the French.

Doesn't check out, the federation didn't move in and finish what the cardassians started