Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think recliners rely on a whole bunch of metal bars and springs and not a whole lot of woodworking, but a wooden recliner could be a really cool adventure.

I copied a very nice old wing chair that is great for fireside lounging, though I wouldn't begin to know how to go about the upholstery part of it. I have the plans/pattern somewhere but they aren't digitized.

That looks fantastic, nicely done. But yeah, you're right, there's probably lots of mechanisms in there that I wouldn't really want to tangle with. That said, I don't need a built-in leg rest (could easily make an ottoman for that) and it doesn't have to have a lever-action recline function; the actual change in orientation could be done manually like those outdoor lounge chairs where there's some teeth that you set a frame into to choose your recline level.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That reminds me actually, a Campeche chair is super comfortable and looks fairly simple to build (famous last words). I think the curves/joinery might be similar to the bed TooMuchAbstraction built?

That looks pretty nice! I think it'd be a bit of a stretch for my current skill level, but not entirely outside the question.

toplitzin posted:

The MAKE magazine rok-back chair is great.

I built one about a decade back for a bedroom lounge chair, but all I have are potato phone pictures.
I'd build another one or two if had need or space.

https://makezine.com/projects/make-19/rok-bak-chair/

Cheers! I think I'd want something a little less "obviously plywood" than that, but it'd probably be fairly straightforward to convert the plywood into a frame. It's also basically a rocking chair, which I should have remembered exist; I'm sure there must be plans for rocking chairs on the Internet.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions, y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ColdPie posted:

I asked them to crosscut the long boards to 3' lengths so it'd fit in my car.

Smart or Clown?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hahaha, nah, the car will fit about 7' (it's a Mazda3 hatch), but they sell 12' boards so I have them crosscut off lengths until the offcut is under 7'. My plan was to get 4' lengths and chop off 2" at the shop to clean up end checking etc. But I had 3'10" on my mind so I said 3'. Oops.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

Hahaha, nah, the car will fit about 7' (it's a Mazda3 hatch), but they sell 12' boards so I have them crosscut off lengths until the offcut is under 7'. My plan was to get 4' lengths and chop off 2" at the shop to clean up end checking etc. But I had 3'10" on my mind so I said 3'. Oops.

Time to get out the ole' board stretcher!

I've actually seen 'stretched' boards cut on the diagonal used in antiques occasionally, so you wouldn't be the first.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

i want to utilize this under-stair storage area (its in my pantry) better but i'm not sure what to do.

access to that area is nearly impossible...maybe a plywood based cart with roller drawers? any other suggestions?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

i want to utilize this under-stair storage area (its in my pantry) better but i'm not sure what to do.

access to that area is nearly impossible...maybe a plywood based cart with roller drawers? any other suggestions?

A version of the fancy-kitchen "slide out cabinet" type thing would work really great.

https://images.costco-static.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=11262818-847&recipeName=680

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

BraveUlysses posted:

I only like making things to use up space that is not helping me store things, in this case you seem to not have much space so I would put a 2x4 on top of an empty paint can and step on the end to make the food roll down towards you

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm getting deja vu..

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just do shelves with (open top) boxes, almost like drawers but not quite. Put two boxes on each shelf, a front and a back one, so they're smaller and easier to maneuver.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm getting deja vu..

Ditto.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=64&perpage=40#post491053522
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=64&perpage=40#post491500697

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Haha.

Don't even bother building something in there. Even if you own the house. Go buy this thing:

https://www.target.com/p/wide-metal-cart-with-wheels-black-made-by-design-153/-/A-53166288

Huxley fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 9, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mean if you've not figured it out that's fine, but could you give us an idea of what wasn't covered last time(s)?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Someone was building some little roll out carts for exactly this purpose a while ago. I think cakesmith handyman? You might look at their posts-phoneposting and can’t find the one I’m thinking of atm.

Take a look at cabinet hardware stuff-they make all kinds of poo poo for odd spaces like this.
https://hdlusa.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

shhh that was the other thread! :v:

Huxley posted:

Haha.

Don't even bother building something in there. Even if you own the house. Go buy this thing:

https://www.target.com/p/wide-metal-cart-with-wheels-black-made-by-design-153/-/A-53166288

this is a really good suggestion and will probably win out over making a cart...but i do have enough plywood on hand that i might give it a go

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

shhh that was the other thread! :v:

We are legion.

BraveUlysses posted:

this is a really good suggestion and will probably win out over making a cart...but i do have enough plywood on hand that i might give it a go

If you do make something there's generic casters available from DIY stores and amazon that look like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Swivel-Castor-Trolley-Furniture/dp/B00FHGCK32/

I've used them for some fairly heavy duty poo poo and they've stood up well so far.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Fake wall with shelving in front of it. Redo the whole pantry with L shaped shelving hiding the fake wall door.

Who doesn't want/have a hidden space in their house?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I’m using up some of my garbage red oak (it’s a bad wood, folks) to make a printer stand and look I did some dovetails!

:toot:

Also this morning my dovetail guide from Katz-Moses finally showed up. Gonna try that out tonight.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

I’m using up some of my garbage red oak (it’s a bad wood, folks) to make a printer stand and look I did some dovetails!

:toot:

Also this morning my dovetail guide from Katz-Moses finally showed up. Gonna try that out tonight.

Nice. I have one of the Katz-Moses guides and it works well but is slippery on the board. Stick a piece of scotch tape on the stem's sides for a little friction.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I keep seeing the Katz-Moses dovetail guide and the no deflection stop block. I haven’t pulled the trigger, but they both seem like solid designs that he seems to be advertising super well.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's good to have an ally in the red oak is trash camp.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hypnolobster posted:

It's good to have an ally in the red oak is trash camp.

I will concede that it does occasionally smell like hot garbage, but otherwise I don't mind red oak. You've got to temper your expectations and remember that it's not the most stable stuff in the world, but with white oak at insane prices, I've come to appreciate red oak more. The OP looks like they've got some nice tight grained stuff that is probably reasonably stable? We get fast growing poo poo out of the swamps down here with 1/2"+ between growth rings and it can be the warpiest stuff if it isn't dried well (and it never is).

Now if you want to talk irredeemable garbage wood, soft maple is my nemesis. Throw it all in the burn pile unless it's curly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I will concede that it does occasionally smell like hot garbage, but otherwise I don't mind red oak. You've got to temper your expectations and remember that it's not the most stable stuff in the world, but with white oak at insane prices, I've come to appreciate red oak more. The OP looks like they've got some nice tight grained stuff that is probably reasonably stable? We get fast growing poo poo out of the swamps down here with 1/2"+ between growth rings and it can be the warpiest stuff if it isn't dried well (and it never is).

Now if you want to talk irredeemable garbage wood, soft maple is my nemesis. Throw it all in the burn pile unless it's curly.

What have you got against soft southern maple? What about soft ash, you hate it likewise?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Holy poo poo today is a bad day to be a mod. Can someone show me a nice thing they made from the innards of a tree, please.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 10, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Holy poo poo today is a bad day to be a mod. Can someone show me a nice thing they made from the innards of a tree, please.

I made this over the weekend from the innards of 3 different trees...not perfect but still nice.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

JEEVES420 posted:

I made this over the weekend from the innards of 3 different trees...not perfect but still nice.

I'd be happy enough to call it mine!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Have a knife and spoon. If it helps the magnolia lived for another six months before I ripped it out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No big shakes but I had some scrap walnut strips from a board I was doing and made this.

Giving it to my wife to put whatever she wants on it... but I like how it came out...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

What have you got against soft southern maple? What about soft ash, you hate it likewise?
It just moves too much and tears out too much and one time I used it for drawer sides and it was a disaster and I've held a grudge every since. I love ash though. It's like oak but everything is easier-just as hard and as strong, but easier to work with, more stable, and not as heavy and overall a very very pleasant wood. It looks like the emerald ash borer might not like it down in the deep south so soft swamp ash might be all we have left.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Funky table/console made of very thinly sliced tree guts:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It just moves too much and tears out too much and one time I used it for drawer sides and it was a disaster and I've held a grudge every since. I love ash though. It's like oak but everything is easier-just as hard and as strong, but easier to work with, more stable, and not as heavy and overall a very very pleasant wood. It looks like the emerald ash borer might not like it down in the deep south so soft swamp ash might be all we have left.

gently caress You for following my post with this...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feenix posted:

How do you think I feel. :colbert:

At least I get to use mine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thank you, wood friends.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Feenix posted:

veneer is cheating so don't feel bad.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's just the stuff menards sells, some is ok, some is less-ok. The stuff I'm using for the top of the printer stand was just awful. As I was planing it, there were, like, voids opening up in the wood. You could feel them just under the surface.

But whatever, I'm just glad to finally be using it.

Most of my projects are smaller, so I've been going to this place and raiding their cutoffs bins. I think I paid $8 for enough white oak to make a bunk bed for my daughter's dolls.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

At least I get to use mine.
This is very true. The only woodwork of mine that I actually own and get to use is 3 little end tables. The cobbler's children have no shoes and all that. I started building myself a bed 4 years ago, but haven't actually managed to finish it.

Are the knife and the spoon out of the same tree? I love when magnolia and poplar get those really dark rainbow streaks in them. It can be such a variable wood.

Feenix posted:

No big shakes but I had some scrap walnut strips from a board I was doing and made this.

Giving it to my wife to put whatever she wants on it... but I like how it came out...
This has a great simplicity to it imo. I really like the slight curve/radius on the edges-it's just the right little detail that reminds me of classical Chinese stuff.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is very true. The only woodwork of mine that I actually own and get to use is 3 little end tables. The cobbler's children have no shoes and all that. I started building myself a bed 4 years ago, but haven't actually managed to finish it.

Are the knife and the spoon out of the same tree? I love when magnolia and poplar get those really dark rainbow streaks in them. It can be such a variable wood.

The spoon is from a black walnut my dad cut down. It was killing all his apple trees, because the previous owner didn't know that walnut was just one of those things that kills other trees. So they all came down so the apples and pears could live. By the time I'd moved back into the midwest it was all dried out by my brother in small logs that he was never going to get to. So we got them out of his garage. Some of it was pretty gnarly, but I got some decent boards out of it. The walnuts managed to harm one of the old apple trees enough that it came down too. We got some nice slabs out of that and I got some to play with. It's quite hard and burns very easy on a circular blade. I'd think it'd do better with a bandsaw, but it's very hard stuff. I need to take my sharpening stuff and my plane up to visit and start to level out one of the slabs. We also got a walnut slab out of the same culling. It's some very pretty stuff both the apple and walnut. If that stuff ever gets done, I'll be posting pictures like a proud woodworker you better believe.

The butter knife is from a magnolia I had in the backyard. I trimmed it last year, and it got bad scale and then a black fungus that killed it this year so I pulled it down. I have some good sections left that are drying out a little. It doesn't seem to need much. Smells really unique and kind of gross when working it. But they make really great carving stuff. I made a handful of kitchy cutlery for my siblings that went over well. I'm doing some kitchen spoons out of the workable stuff, it's soft enough, but not too soft. I might make a picture from from the larger piece I have too. I just need to get my neighbor's bandsaw and shaper out of my garage, not for space, but because I can't plug in the bandsaw and I just want to use it.

E: And don't think I'm ripping on you, the stuff you post is gorgeous and I do wish you'd get to use more of it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Someone was building some little roll out carts for exactly this purpose a while ago. I think cakesmith handyman? You might look at their posts-phoneposting and can’t find the one I’m thinking of atm.

Take a look at cabinet hardware stuff-they make all kinds of poo poo for odd spaces like this.
https://hdlusa.com/

I did yes, thanks for remembering. I only posted them in the projects megathread though, as they're screwed MDF, not woodworking. No link as I'm also mobile posting, sorry

this one?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like soft southern ash for the same reasons, can't recall grief with soft maple, though. gently caress the borer and all tree pests. I heard a story about hard northern maple back in the 80's that when Japan were a booming economy, the American craze they adopted was bowling. However, all the available hard northern maple went to Japan for bowling alleys and the price skyrocketed, or it was non existent. Then the Japanese got their fill of bowling, and moved on. They were into golf too, but there is so little land available there for golf courses, you have to be uber rich. They really gape at all the usable land in the U.S.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Nice. drat nice.

JEEVES420 posted:

veneer is cheating so don't feel bad.

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You're dead to me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Made a pair of these out of scrap and salvage, sloppy but sturdy. We kept this one, and the other went toward filling a home with furniture for a refugee family. The family got here this past weekend, and apparently the church teens that helped move them in were using their phones to translate back and forth in French with the kids in the family to tell them about the high school they'll all be attending. Was a very sweet moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pictured: why TMA is sad.

About a 1/8" divot that needs to be planed out, in a 4'-long, 13"-wide slab. This is after I wore myself out planing already. I'm gonna be at this for awhile. At least the wood looks nice.

I ended up going with the "screw a 2x4 to the piece" approach for securing this, by the way. Towels and glue were both inadequate to the task of holding a 60+ pound slab steady while knocking it around with my no. 5 plane.