Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

greatn posted:

Well the online will be free for like four months so they'll get the chance to prove whether or not it's any good.

That's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I need to actually see just what the online is. If it's just like the typical free barebones internet from the wii/wii u yeah thats poo poo but I can't imagine they'd be charging for that considering they said they'd still be running the Wii U/3DS stuff exactly the same for free so it's gotta be something more

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
What would good online look like?

What features, etc?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

There are like 5 release games (1 that could be considered AAA) and a huge amount of question marks. There are a few confirmed third party games that will probably make some point in 2017 but basically the majority are big N games. I am not going to buy a system for Splatoon 2 and Zelda, but that's just me. Either way, for Nintendo's sake I hope they sell a shitton during the first 6-12 months or this will likely be another Wii U software wise.

Honestly, I didn't come to take the piss, but the whole thing is underwhelming. Mainly because of the peripheral pricing and how Nintendo is handling online. $300 for a portable system isn't horrible, but they could have at least given the tech demo game as a pack-in like Wii Sports. Then you have rumors like voice chat being done with a third party phone app, and that you basically rent NES/SNES games as the bonus. A lot of the Switch seems to be buying into faith. Faith that Nintendo will not gently caress up the online (lolol) and that 3rd parties will make a decent presence on the system.
I agree a lot with these points. I don't trust Nintendo online but I just can't even imagine using the Switch for online besides for Smash Bros and even then, it's gotta be a long time before they release another Smash game. Even if they rerelease Sm4sh I probably won't play it all that much. I just don't think I'll be using online that much because honestly, Nintendo has proved themselves incompetent handling an online system. They were using goddamn friend codes when the Xbox Live was proven to work. The whole rental for old games is also so stupid. It's obviously them knowing that they can charge 10 dollars for a 30 year old game and they know people will buy it, that's why they're doing it.

Hey, they're a business but jesus. I really really just don't want this to be another Wii U. I bought a Wii U at the beginning of 2015 so I feel really hosed on that purchase. I just figure if I'm not using the Wii U I might as well trade it in and play the newest game I guess.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

unlawfulsoup posted:

There are like 5 release games (1 that could be considered AAA) and a huge amount of question marks. There are a few confirmed third party games that will probably make some point in 2017 but basically the majority are big N games. I am not going to buy a system for Splatoon 2 and Zelda, but that's just me. Either way, for Nintendo's sake I hope they sell a shitton during the first 6-12 months or this will likely be another Wii U software wise.

Honestly, I didn't come to take the piss, but the whole thing is underwhelming. Mainly because of the peripheral pricing and how Nintendo is handling online. $300 for a portable system isn't horrible, but they could have at least given the tech demo game as a pack-in like Wii Sports. Then you have rumors like voice chat being done with a third party phone app, and that you basically rent NES/SNES games as the bonus. A lot of the Switch seems to be buying into faith. Faith that Nintendo will not gently caress up the online (lolol) and that 3rd parties will make a decent presence on the system.

No, faith that marios and zeldas splatoon and mario karts and eventual smash brothers and NoMoreheros3ormaybewrestlingSudaisweird will exist on it. People who have preordered dont give a poo poo about 3rd party skyrims and the like.

It is annoying that online will be charged for.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bass Bottles posted:

What features, etc?

A choice between IPX or TCPIP as my communication method. Also, to be able to type the net address or modem phone number of the game I want to join.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

trash person posted:

I'm surprised the VC would be the breaking point as to whether or not to trade in the Wii U for the Switch.

I mean there will be literally nothing for the Wii U after Zelda and if there are VC games you still want to play that badly that you can't muster the avarice to rebuy just get an emulator.

I mean it's loving insane you would have to rebuy anything but that seems like a small thing to not trade in for. Hell think of it this way; how much did you spend on VC games? If it's $75 or under just consider that savings your budget to rebuy VC games

VC is the least of my worries. I made the mistake of purchasing several Wii U games digitally thinking that Nintendo would have some way to transfer purchases to the next console like they did for Wii and the different 3DS units. So if I trade in my Wii U my purchased Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, VC library and a couple indie games would be going along with it.

Hybridfusion posted:

I can't find anything that lists the deal ending date. Do you know when it ends next week? I was going to trade my wii-u in next Tuesday.

I think I read on Neogaf its good until 1/22 or something like that

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bass Bottles posted:

What features, etc?

I can add friends easily, group up, join as a group a game, have some method of voice chat, and have some way to not be ddosed like sonys of ms's when some assholes need to feel big.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Anidav posted:

Did anyone else notice Bowser was dressed up like Speedwagon from Jojos?

he got peach to agree to a theme wedding

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Mercury Crusader posted:

A choice between IPX or TCPIP as my communication method. Also, to be able to type the net address or modem phone number of the game I want to join.

Junkie Disease posted:

I can add friends easily, group up, join as a group a game, have some method of voice chat, and have some way to not be ddosed like sonys of ms's when some assholes need to feel big.

Hmm okay

Or what if instead of all that, you could link your twitter account to find friends, and then you could scroll through a huge, laggy list of random twitter users and add people you recognize, as long as they have already added you

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I agree a lot with these points. I don't trust Nintendo online but I just can't even imagine using the Switch for online besides for Smash Bros and even then, it's gotta be a long time before they release another Smash game. Even if they rerelease Sm4sh I probably won't play it all that much. I just don't think I'll be using online that much because honestly, Nintendo has proved themselves incompetent handling an online system. They were using goddamn friend codes when the Xbox Live was proven to work. The whole rental for old games is also so stupid. It's obviously them knowing that they can charge 10 dollars for a 30 year old game and they know people will buy it, that's why they're doing it.

Hey, they're a business but jesus. I really really just don't want this to be another Wii U. I bought a Wii U at the beginning of 2015 so I feel really hosed on that purchase. I just figure if I'm not using the Wii U I might as well trade it in and play the newest game I guess.

I think if Nintendos online is less developed they would be better off charging less than PSN/XBL. The game rental is just really stupid though, and comes across as more insulting than value. A Netflix style virtual console rental service would have come across a lot better and would be easier for people to stomach PSN/XBL prices even.

Bombadilillo posted:

No, faith that marios and zeldas splatoon and mario karts and eventual smash brothers and NoMoreheros3ormaybewrestlingSudaisweird will exist on it. People who have preordered dont give a poo poo about 3rd party skyrims and the like.

I have no doubt Nintendo will deliver on their 1st party titles given enough time. Nintendo is well known for being pretty masterful with most of their IPs given enough time. The problem/question is whether Nintendo can attract 3rd parties to diversify their system and/or if the 1st parties will carry the system. Nintendo fans are fine with only Nintendo titles, but other gamers want a broad library to justify a purchase. Going by the Wii U, 1st parties were not enough to really carry that system. But this is a portable, and who knows what the market wants now. Online does add more value though, and I think that is a selling point for some people who take that component seriously.

I am with both of you though, a lot of Nintendo IP is really strong without online MP. The Switch is also well designed for local multiplayer. Online MP is a pretty significant expectation of a lot of mainstream gamers, and Nintendo's implementation and pricing will have an effect of adoption with those gamers.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
The Switch is launching worldwide on one day; their online network is going to take a beating. I hope it stays up.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bass Bottles posted:

Hmm okay

Or what if instead of all that, you could link your twitter account to find friends, and then you could scroll through a huge, laggy list of random twitter users and add people you recognize, as long as they have already added you

As long as its easy I don't care.

Splatwoon is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufp4Dr7rNPU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I think Switch is a wildcard. Not that it will be a wii lightning rod. But anecdotally a work college was SO excited that it was portable and could stop talking about how cool it was to just snap off hand and a controller to someone. This is a guy who only played Call of Duty for the Last Year, played FFXV and then back to COD. Granted we do travel 4ish hours a few times a week and he can play while someone else drives. He has no interest in a 3ds, but the idea of full games on the go really hit a chord with him. He also thought Zelda looked amazing. He was worried about battery and I told him you could charge is with usb-c and he preordered one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So what do my splatoon amiibos unlock in this?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So just traded in my WiiU and 13 games for $320, rearranged my preorder a bit, and only had $60 left to pay off on the console.
Had a $100 giftcard left over from Xmas, so now my Switch preorder is paid off in full :getin:

Also grabbed Bomberman, a Neon Joycon Set, and a Charging Grip. Pretty hype boys and germs.

The worst part however was that they are completely sold out of Zelda Master Edition here in Aus now, so I was a bit annoyed on the drive home as it was an EBGames exclusive.

Checked out the website when I got home, just to have another look, and found out it's actually called Limited Edition here in Australia

:siren: And does not include the boss as gently caress carry case anymore :siren:

So you're paying $190 AUD (142USD) for a gimped version of Master Edition, that doesn't even include the one thing I really really wanted from it. :laffo:

What the gently caress Nintendo Australia?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Decided to keep my preorder. Zelda will take a least a month to go through and after that I'll have Sonic Mania, Yooka-Laylee, and Ultra Street Fighter to tide me over until Super Mario Odyessy. I have plenty of PS4 and Xbox One games to go through over summer during the gap months assuming the Gamecube VC rumors aren't true (if they are I'm totally playing through Eternal Darkness and Mario Sunshine)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

I told him you could charge is with usb-c and he preordered one.

This right here is why I don't get people who bitch about the battery life re:car trips and just in general. Due to phones and tablets charging stations are loving everywhere and car adapters that work with this thing are common.

Never mind the fact that its battery life is comparable to other portables. Nobody argues that the 3DS isn't really portable due to only lasting 3-5 hours of playtime. (Same as the Switch!)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

pixaal posted:

So what do my splatoon amiibos unlock in this?

Regret

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I went to the store today and Preordered Bomberman

I am very excited to play a new Bomberman :)

Does that have a single player and an online mode or is it just couch co-op?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:lol: at me for leaving the local news on after NFL, but the Nintendo Switch just got talked about for a couple of minutes here in Northwest Arkansas before they got to the Razorback basketball highlights even. Guess it's different enough to warrant some air time. I thought that was kind of neat.

Bombadilillo posted:

People who have preordered dont give a poo poo about 3rd party skyrims and the like.

Eh, disagree. I have Skyrim on my Steam account and I've just never gotten through my backlog enough to play it. Haven't bothered to buy it for Xbone/PS4, either, but with how much I travel for work I am looking forward to finally being able to play Skyrim. And since I already pay for XBL and PS+, I am not particularly annoyed with the idea of paying for online, it'll just depend on what it costs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zonekeeper posted:

This right here is why I don't get people who bitch about the battery life re:car trips and just in general. Due to phones and tablets charging stations are loving everywhere and car adapters that work with this thing are common.

Never mind the fact that its battery life is comparable to other portables. Nobody argues that the 3DS isn't really portable due to only lasting 3-5 hours of playtime. (Same as the Switch!)

Because people are used to laptops where they lie about their battery life and an 8 hour battery lasts an hour playing a game. Laptop battery life is like wireless off and writing a word doc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr President posted:

Def has a single player mode, unsure about online.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Junkie Disease posted:

As long as its easy I don't care.

Splatwoon is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufp4Dr7rNPU

Thats looking pretty drat good, did they show inkbrushes at all or just rollers?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr President posted:

It has a singleplayer story and I read that it has online but I might be mistaken.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is snipperclips a digital game? I really want that. I just wish I had real life friends to play with.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Infinitum posted:

:siren: And does not include the boss as gently caress carry case anymore :siren:

The case looks like the best part about it. I plan on being docked 100% and my broken brain still wants dat case... Going to be hard not to flip mine though when they are already selling for $350-$400 dollars on ebay.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is snipperclips a digital game? I really want that. I just wish I had real life friends to play with.

Digital only I believe

katkillad2 posted:

The case looks like the best part about it. I plan on being docked 100% and my broken brain still wants dat case... Going to be hard not to flip mine though when they are already selling for $350-$400 dollars on ebay.

Hopefully they sell the case separate here in Australia, because I want dat fuggin case

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

So just traded in my WiiU and 13 games for $320, rearranged my preorder a bit, and only had $60 left to pay off on the console.
Had a $100 giftcard left over from Xmas, so now my Switch preorder is paid off in full :getin:

Also grabbed Bomberman, a Neon Joycon Set, and a Charging Grip. Pretty hype boys and germs.

The worst part however was that they are completely sold out of Zelda Master Edition here in Aus now, so I was a bit annoyed on the drive home as it was an EBGames exclusive.

Checked out the website when I got home, just to have another look, and found out it's actually called Limited Edition here in Australia

So you're paying $190 AUD (142USD) for a gimped version of Master Edition, that doesn't even include the one thing I really really wanted from it. :laffo:

What the gently caress Nintendo Australia?

I did the math and saw I was paying $33 US for a carrying case, which was all I wanted and just preordered the regular version.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It has a singleplayer story and I read that it has online but I might be mistaken.

Well then they got themselves a customer!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wonder if splatoon 2 will have a more fully realized campaign

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I did the math and saw I was paying $33 US for a carrying case, which was all I wanted and just preordered the regular version.

Yeah I saw the carry case as well... but I really want the Shiekah Tablet case :qq:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was only 79 dollars on Amazon with Prime. 20 dollars seems like a good price for a case. Cases seem to be 15-30 dollars on their own, plus it comes with some other stuff. I can listen to the CD in my car or something, I don't have anything that plays CDs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, I've updated the OP a little. If you can think of any really useful information that I've left off, let me know.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Switch sounds dumb. And after getting Wii U at launch (lol) this will be the first Nintendo console I won't buy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It was only 79 dollars on Amazon with Prime. 20 dollars seems like a good price for a case. Cases seem to be 15-30 dollars on their own, plus it comes with some other stuff. I can listen to the CD in my car or something, I don't have anything that plays CDs.

Yeah 79 but the regular is 48. So 31 I guess.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey guys remember that powerful moment in the super hype Japanese trailer for Zelda where Zelda was crying into links arms and then the trailer turns super hype and it was powerful and emotional performance?

All of that performance is loving gone in the English dub. there's zero delivery of emotional impact in the English voice actress who did Zelda, holy poo poo I hope there's a Japanese voice version with English subtitles because fuuuuuuck poor localization and performance.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Is the special addition going for much on EBay?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys remember that powerful moment in the super hype Japanese trailer for Zelda where Zelda was crying into links arms and then the trailer turns super hype and it was powerful and emotional performance?

All of that performance is loving gone in the English dub. there's zero delivery of emotional impact in the English voice actress who did Zelda, holy poo poo I hope there's a Japanese voice version with English subtitles because fuuuuuuck poor localization and performance.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Games > The Switch: powerful super hype powerful crying

• Locked thread