Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You also can't leave a job partially-finished around a kid unless you want to spend every moment of the intervening time playing reverse Sisyphus with your child. The job area needs to be either entirely cleaned and safe or entirely secured and inaccessible.

Doing stuff bit by bit can easily mean spending twice as much time on setup and cleanup than you do actually working.

Edit: maybe this changes when they get older, I don't know. I do know that "please don't go in there or touch that, it is not safe and might break" apparently translates in a 3.75yo brain as "there is a magical wish-granting unicorn in there which can only be summoned by touching that as much as possible, I am hiding this from you because I'm a meanie."

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

If someone is truly so hosed by life that they don't have a single spare hour in the day to watch a youtube on how to lay a bead of caulk and fix their shower they have my deepest sympathies,
I have kids so watching a fifteen minute YouTube video takes about two hours.

Find time to fix a shower? Most days I can barely find time to take a shower.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been really struggling lately with getting restarted on my kitchen renovation. It's probably 80% done but it took me months to get here doing most of it myself and I am quite frankly burned out on all the home projects I am constantly doing. It is like having a second job. Just as I was trying to get back to it, a pet got very sick and died, and then I got COVID, so there went a month with absolutely no progress. Finally getting back into the swing of things these week and I'm trying really hard to maintain the motivation and forward progress. I primed one side of a door on my lunch break!

Generally though I find it very hard to get anything started during the week. Some days I work 8 hours then have an hour or so before I hit the gym, get home, take a shower, make dinner, clean the kitchen. Welp now it's 9pm, time to chill on the couch for an hour or two and then go to bed. Non-gym days I have more time but I am also fitting in grocery trips, errands, other chores, pet care. Finally, it's the weekend! I know after a long stressful work week, the thing I most want to do is get up bright and early on a Saturday to install trim. I know it needs to get done but I need some time to decompress too. It is a constant struggle and I don't even have kids to deal with.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I know Hadlock is talking about "a whole gently caress of Kallax items" given he said 25 storage containers, but I'm still :lol:ing at the mental image of someone struggling with a single Kallax shelf for 6 hours. "BUT WHERE DO THE 12 IDENTICAL BOLTS GO?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

*throws instructions into shredder* "I'm not taking advice from a cartoon man!"

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hadlock posted:

Kids are exhausting

This. We have two little kids who (along with home chores) take up the vast majority of our non-work waking time, and one of us doing hours of diy impacts the whole family. The kids are an age where keeping walls open can be an active hazard to them.

We each get about 1-2 hours a day of unaccounted for time either before the sun is up or after the kids go to bed and I feel comfortable and justified saying that we actually do not have the time or bandwidth for a moderately involved house project.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sirotan posted:

I've been really struggling lately with getting restarted on my kitchen renovation. It's probably 80% done but it took me months to get here doing most of it myself and I am quite frankly burned out on all the home projects I am constantly doing. It is like having a second job. Just as I was trying to get back to it, a pet got very sick and died, and then I got COVID, so there went a month with absolutely no progress. Finally getting back into the swing of things these week and I'm trying really hard to maintain the motivation and forward progress. I primed one side of a door on my lunch break!

Generally though I find it very hard to get anything started during the week. Some days I work 8 hours then have an hour or so before I hit the gym, get home, take a shower, make dinner, clean the kitchen. Welp now it's 9pm, time to chill on the couch for an hour or two and then go to bed. Non-gym days I have more time but I am also fitting in grocery trips, errands, other chores, pet care. Finally, it's the weekend! I know after a long stressful work week, the thing I most want to do is get up bright and early on a Saturday to install trim. I know it needs to get done but I need some time to decompress too. It is a constant struggle and I don't even have kids to deal with.

Yeah, it's like having a second job that you work for a couple hours a day when you're in the middle of a big project, and it blows.

What I think is ridiculous is the goony hyperbole that doing basic household maintenance (like running a bead of caulk) is impossible to do for anyone but those living lives of indolent luxury:

PerniciousKnid posted:

when you add it all up it's way more than most people can handle unless you live the cushiest of lives.

We're not even talking about re-doing your whole kitchen, we're talking about simple repairs. I just used my bathroom example because I'm living proof that this stuff isn't all that hard to learn.

It's another set of chores, it isn't fun, but if it's do something unpleasant or just let that leaky toilet cause bad water damage it's just poo poo you've got to do.

Or, as in Hadlock's case, if you've got the money to afford hiring people to do it all, then you do you. Trading money for leisure time is pretty bog standard and after a certain point you make enough that it makes no sense to waste two hours of your free time doing something you can pay someone half of your hourly rate to handle for you.

See also: cleaning. It's no fun to vacuum the house and if you can afford to pay a maid I get it. But the answer isn't to just throw up your hands, lament that there is truly nothing that can be done, and live in filth.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any advice on fixing kitchen cabinet molding that was held on by, like, a single straight metal staple and dreams? I fell off a ladder last week, instinctively grabbed the top molding to break my fall, and it came right off in my hands. Flimsy as gently caress.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sundae posted:

Any advice on fixing kitchen cabinet molding that was held on by, like, a single straight metal staple and dreams? I fell off a ladder last week, instinctively grabbed the top molding to break my fall, and it came right off in my hands. Flimsy as gently caress.

I'd probably just use some epoxy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sundae posted:

Molding isn't structural, it should be held on by enough fasteners to keep it tidy, and not much more than that. You may want to take it down at some point, and you don't want to have to rip the cabinets out to do that (which you would need to do if you used adhesives).

Get some finishing nails and a nail set, this is what they're for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There is no shame at all in hiring a professional. I don't expect my contractor to defend his own pot charges either.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shifty Pony posted:

*throws instructions into shredder* "I'm not taking advice from a cartoon man!"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well like half that time was the 45 minutes each way to IKEA, probably that much time at the store finding all the accessories etc plus loading and unloading it from our sedan which it just barely fit in is three hours right there. It's big enough (6x6') you need to clear a large area to put it together on it's side too, which, given we didn't get toy shelving before this, was a struggle

Plus dealing with a 3 year old who is intensely interested in the shelf you bought to store all their toys "is this FOR ME?" *picks up a handful of irreplaceable IKEA specific parts*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Adulthood for most people is a never ending fire hose of bullshit to deal with and I try not to judge anyone for falling behind in some way.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Well like half that time was the 45 minutes each way to IKEA, probably that much time at the store finding all the accessories etc plus loading and unloading it from our sedan which it just barely fit in is three hours right there. It's big enough (6x6') you need to clear a large area to put it together on it's side too, which, given we didn't get toy shelving before this, was a struggle

Plus dealing with a 3 year old who is intensely interested in the shelf you bought to store all their toys "is this FOR ME?" *picks up a handful of irreplaceable IKEA specific parts*

Oh I totally get it. It was just the mental image. I assembled a low loft/trundle combo bed for my kid just before she turned four, and keeping her out of the way was intensely challenging. It was a Wayfair bed, which gave me a new appreciation for how good IKEA's instructions really are (as far as flat-pack goes, at least).

And now she wants to sleep in the pulled out trundle portion every night because OF COURSE SHE DOES.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Molding isn't structural, it should be held on by enough fasteners to keep it tidy, and not much more than that. You may want to take it down at some point, and you don't want to have to rip the cabinets out to do that (which you would need to do if you used adhesives).

Get some finishing nails and a nail set, this is what they're for.

Thanks - I'll grab some and take a look. If I take them down, it'll look like poo poo because it has this weird angled bevel on where it's installed (which is why wood glue or epoxy was going to be challenging - it'll have to be held by hand until it dries), and without the piece there, you can see a nice stripe of unfinished LDF there.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Sundae posted:

Oh I totally get it. It was just the mental image. I assembled a low loft/trundle combo bed for my kid just before she turned four, and keeping her out of the way was intensely challenging. It was a Wayfair bed, which gave me a new appreciation for how good IKEA's instructions really are (as far as flat-pack goes, at least).

I had to assemble a dresser for my kid's room and was getting very frustrated at the Wayfair directions not making any sense until I realized there was supposed to be a second box that they forgot to send. That was enough to swear me off buying from them again.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Wayfair sent me a kid-sized bookshelf that was:
- Dropshipped from an even cheaper site
- Not Actually Greenguard Certified like they advertised
- Broken

When I complained about this and wanted to send it back for those reasons, they wanted to charge me shipping. All my friends say gently caress Wayfair.

Ikea instructions can be bad, but every other DIY furniture brand is a whole lot more complicated and packaged worse.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Wayfair also sent bed bug infested items to customers. I will never order from them.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/judge-says-consumers-cant-sue-over-alleged-bedbugs-in-wayfair-headboard-2019-06-12

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

what the gently caress

quote:

Gorny said he told Wayfair about the bedbugs in a satisfaction survey and the retailer sent him a 10% off coupon on future orders, plus an apology

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the quality delta between IKEA and everyone else is just stunning

I bought a solid mango wood thing from Wayfair over the pandemic, it's held up very well

Side note, I bought these pliers from harbor freight recently, they are excellent for pushing in 256 tiny wooden dowels. In addition to the regular side grippy stuff, they have, uh, puckered lips to grab on to stuff. Just wrap your lips around that hard wood and you're good to go. I think they're supposed to be for grabbing rusty stripped screws, but they're excellent for assembling flat pack dowel pins

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-fast-adjust-push-button-slip-joint-pliers-70310.html

$22, lifetime warranty from harbor freight

https://toolguyd.com/harbor-freight-pliers-knipex-twingrip/

Knipex sells the OG version for $35, but knipex are really hard to find at retail, even harder to warranty

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 4, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Shifty Pony posted:

You also can't leave a job partially-finished around a kid unless you want to spend every moment of the intervening time playing reverse Sisyphus with your child. The job area needs to be either entirely cleaned and safe or entirely secured and inaccessible.

Doing stuff bit by bit can easily mean spending twice as much time on setup and cleanup than you do actually working.

Edit: maybe this changes when they get older, I don't know. I do know that "please don't go in there or touch that, it is not safe and might break" apparently translates in a 3.75yo brain as "there is a magical wish-granting unicorn in there which can only be summoned by touching that as much as possible, I am hiding this from you because I'm a meanie."

It gets better. Eventually, they'll either lose interest in you and your endeavors entirely, or they'll enjoy and are actually beneficial at helping.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I have the knipex version. great tool

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't understand superpaint. I seem to always see trouble spots, bad adhesion, and durability problems when family uses it. Yeah, I shell out for premium Behr paint but one coat and my walls are nearly bulletproof. Am I doing or seeing something wrong?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I don't understand superpaint. I seem to always see trouble spots, bad adhesion, and durability problems when family uses it. Yeah, I shell out for premium Behr paint but one coat and my walls are nearly bulletproof. Am I doing or seeing something wrong?

In my experience, no. I really need to find a different paint store around here because I'm loving done with SW at this point.

I hear people say it cleans OK but again, not in my experience. You end up with shiny, lighter spots if you have to so much as wipe a wet washcloth on it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sundae posted:

I know Hadlock is talking about "a whole gently caress of Kallax items" given he said 25 storage containers, but I'm still :lol:ing at the mental image of someone struggling with a single Kallax shelf for 6 hours. "BUT WHERE DO THE 12 IDENTICAL BOLTS GO?"

I just built one the other weekend in an hour but I only had one beer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Potato Salad posted:

That's surface prep. You could have the greatest paint on the planet, but it won't stick if the surface isn't free of contaminants.

I like painting (10%). I loathe paint prep (90%)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

That's surface prep. You could have the greatest paint on the planet, but it won't stick if the surface isn't free of contaminants.

I like painting (10%). I loathe paint prep (90%)

Cyrano4747 posted:

FFFFFFFF………

That surface was completely, impeccably clean. That white you see under it is two coats of SW primer. The paint came off the primer. The same brand primer that it was designed for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How well does primer adhere to cured primer. A lot of times cold joints don't matter, but sometimes they do

Edit: relative humidity counts for a lot, sometimes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

How well does primer adhere to cured primer. A lot of times cold joints don't matter, but sometimes they do

The coats of primer didn't come apart, the paint came off the primer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have heard if you make a diagram charting the different times and versions of each character Primer holds together a lot better.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Cyrano4747 posted:

In my experience, no. I really need to find a different paint store around here because I'm loving done with SW at this point.

Reject Sherwin Williams. Embrace Benjamin Moore, I like Regal Select for general interior paint.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TacoHavoc posted:

Reject Sherwin Williams. Embrace Benjamin Moore, I like Regal Select for general interior paint.

+1

Any new color gets Benjamin Moore, I only use lovely lowes paint for existing colors that were done with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's not just from here, but elsewhere I'm hearing things like this too. I'm not sure Sherwin post Texas-freezepocalypse (which took out their main facility) is the same as it was before.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I use MAB

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cyrano4747 posted:

FFFFFFFF………

Looks more like 4f6f8f to me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
It’s only 4 years old so maybe time will betray me but Peel Stop has been some pretty miracle poo poo for me. We had to paint every room in the house and basically all of them had hosed up drywall with dated chair rail, wood paneling, decals or wall paper.

This meant we needed to paint walls with bits of remaining wall paper, mystery stains, paint chips and many drywall patches. Typical “bad adhesion” scenarios.

Process that worked and allowed for not much prep: Quick screen sand, sweep off dust, peel stop, retexturing, BIN 1-2-3, paint (behr middle priced generally but have used others too). For walls that didn’t need retexturing I just painted the peel stop.

Held up great so far with no adhesion issues, though I haven’t had to clean it I suppose.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Looks more like 4f6f8f to me.

:pusheen:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

devicenull posted:

+1

Any new color gets Benjamin Moore, I only use lovely lowes paint for existing colors that were done with it.

Fwiw I've had the same problems being described with BM regal select, multiple times, and plan on trying SW next.

I wonder if it really is the local paint store doing something wrong?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the quality delta between IKEA and everyone else is just stunning

The only place I reliably see better quality furniture than IKEA is at the local shop that mostly sells used furniture that's more than 20 years old. They have some incredible stuff, even the new stuff is really high quality, but I've gotten some extremely good, extremely durable furniture from there for very cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The only place I reliably see better quality furniture than IKEA is at the local shop that mostly sells used furniture that's more than 20 years old. They have some incredible stuff, even the new stuff is really high quality, but I've gotten some extremely good, extremely durable furniture from there for very cheap.

ReStore is good for this too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of straight up junk, but you can also get some really solid furniture that just needs a light refinish or even just a good cleaning. Bookshelves in particular are a good score there.