Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

FiestaNinja posted:

Fusion pistols I don't really have a good suggestion though, the harlequin troupe is another annoying kit where to equip them the way you want you'd have to buy 3 of it. Blast pistols are easy enough to find if you can think of a way to alter them into something fusiony.

I forget where I found the instructions, but I converted mine by clipping off the shuriken pistols clip and barrel, shaving down there sides, and gluing on the little crystal thing from the center of the haywire cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

So with my tau being totally neutered so far, I’ve been looking into starting an Astra Militarum army. I love the concept of a mechanized force in which almost every squad has a chimera/taurox. I’d outfit the chimeras with double heavy bolters and get some good volume of fire out of them.
I’d like to augment with some deep striking scions. Can I give the scions a taurox prime that would start in my deployment area, then just deep strike the scions themselves? I don’t see anything in the rules requiring dedicated transport to be co-located with its unit during deployment, am I blind? It sure would be nice to have that prime as a fast anti-infantry gun platform and have the scions themselves as deep-striking tank deleters.

The nicest part of this is that the core of the army could be bought simply and cheaply with 2 AM get started boxes, and 1 Scion get started box.

Any unit can start or not start in a transport. If they start in the transport, the vehicle and any units inside count as one drop. Otherwise they are each separate drops.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Good to hear, thanks!

Here’s the list as it stands right now, thoughts before I spend 300 bucks on army mans?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [63 PL, 1250pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Grand Strategist, Kurov's Aquila, Plasma pistol, Warlord

Tank Commander [12 PL, 241pts]: Display Tank Orders, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons, Relic of Lost Cadia, Storm Bolter
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

Tempestor Prime [3 PL, 45pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Plasma Pistol

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 52pts]
. 8x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer
. Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

. 8x Guardsman

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 86pts]
. 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [6 PL, 103pts]: Augur array, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter

Taurox Prime [6 PL, 126pts]: Storm Bolter, Taurox Gatling Cannon, Two Autocannons

+ Heavy Support +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 186pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Augur array, Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Hunter-Killer Missile, Storm Bolter

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

Regiment: Cadian

+ Elites +

Command Squad [2 PL, 67pts]
. Veteran w/ Medi-pack: Lasgun, Medi-pack
. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Veteran Weapon Team: Lascannon

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL, 104pts]
. Tempestus Scion: Meltagun

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 25pts]: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

++ Total: [63 PL, 1250pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Y'all should move to Boston instead so you can get priced out of the rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods and a guy named Shaun can piss on your car.

I finished painting 5 more Sword Brethren, giving me a nice squad of 10:

The family photo:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

We need to play sometime. I've been looking for known non shitlords to scope out third eye games in Annapolis, which is closer to both of us than games and stuff. I stopped by and they have plenty of gaming space and seem cool.

How do they feel about legions of headless, armless dudes with things like "H1" written on their base to demarcate squadrons while their owner slowly assembles them?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do they feel about legions of headless, armless dudes with things like "H1" written on their base to demarcate squadrons while their owner slowly assembles them?

As long as I can tell what your poo poo is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

As long as I can tell what your poo poo is.

Works for me.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Felime posted:

We need to play sometime. I've been looking for known non shitlords to scope out third eye games in Annapolis, which is closer to both of us than games and stuff. I stopped by and they have plenty of gaming space and seem cool.

Third Eye owns.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Maybe it's my crew, but there seems to be a strong preference for narrative games over strategic play. And by that I don't mean that our group are a bunch of FUCKASS FUNHAVER FUCKBOIs (though some of them are, like BuffaloChicken)
sorry dude can't hear you over the sound of this LOUDASS HAMMERING as i FORGE A BOMB-rear end NARRATIVE !!!

I also haven't been posting battle reports in this thread, but now that the Deathworld Forest from TheChirurgeon is painted up I'll have to share some action shots (I think the Badcast mentioned I was working on these months ago, and it's finally done). It's amazing how much better the terrain looks when actually based and painted like a forest instead of weird-colored alien warp-daemon twiggy bits.

(P.S. TheChirurgeon rules and I'm pretty pumped for the next campaign game where I rain as many spore mines as possible on my opponents.)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Man those fuckin rule

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Confirmation that dinosaurs are a xenos trick to fool faithful Emperor-loving citizens into believing we evolved from monkeys

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Dinosaurs are proof that the imperium has already defeated invading tyranids before, swarmlord beware

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

Y'all should move to Boston instead so you can get priced out of the rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods and a guy named Shaun can piss on your car.

The family photo:

you can keep your 8 months of winter, tyvm

those dudes look rad

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SRM posted:

The family photo:

Happy ever after in the fighting place
Brother Leland let's the neophytes lend a hand.
Brother Martus pray in the chapel to the emperor
And in the evening he slays Demons with bare hands.

Obla de bola da Crusades go oooo-on
Habba dabba the Crusades go on.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Speaking of dinosaurs my lgs put together a really nice swamp looking table.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Since mid December I have collected, or have currently shipping to me, around 3000pts of Tzeentch boys. How am I doin' so far?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Since mid December I have collected, or have currently shipping to me, around 3000pts of Tzeentch boys. How am I doin' so far?

If it makes you feel better, I have collected 6000 points of Dark Angels since mid Jan with 2000 fully painted so far. (4500 is Deathwing though so maybe I'm cheating a bit)

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

BuffaloChicken posted:

sorry dude can't hear you over the sound of this LOUDASS HAMMERING as i FORGE A BOMB-rear end NARRATIVE !!!

Can you post some pictures of your genestealer cult? They sound cool.

I'm converting a couple squads of guardsmen into genestealer cult so that they can be used in either army. I'm thinking of turning a missionary into a Magus, then I will be set to add in some tyranids (mostly because I want to paint space bugs).

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Skails posted:

I'm converting a couple squads of guardsmen into genestealer cult so that they can be used in either army. I'm thinking of turning a missionary into a Magus, then I will be set to add in some tyranids (mostly because I want to paint space bugs).

Yeah m8 I need more info about your Genestealer Cult

I did the second part of my Genestealer Cults index review
http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2018/02/warhammer-40000-genestealer-cult-index_16.html

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Skails posted:

muggins posted:

Yeah m8 I need more info about your Genestealer Cult
They've been posted a few times before, so hope the thread doesn't mind a recap.

EDIT: CRAP I forgot Photobucket is a dysfunctional website. Wrote an entire long post showing good photos of all my Cult stuff and had to delete it, since all my Photocuket links haven't work the last few times I posted here. These are some crummy shots I was able to dig up after a lot of searching through our Ham Slam Facebook Group.

For context, I started Tyranids over a decade ago in a jungle scheme.

I then started Catachan, continuing that theme.

So when I started Cult, I wanted them to visually tie in with both the Tyranids and the Guardsmen. Sorry for the lack of good unit shots... I couldn't find the photos posted in our Facebook group. I should really start including the unit name when I post photos for future search reference - for example, the caption for the Aberrants below was "me n my mates after a night on the town." Not exactly helpful.

Some Neophytes converted from Chaos Cultists:

An army laid out before battle:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Buffchix best chix

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Felime posted:

If y'all are looking for another local ham, I've been meaning to get a game in at Third Eye as well.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

BirdieBedtime posted:

If y'all are looking for another local ham, I've been meaning to get a game in at Third Eye as well.

Beer and I may be up there at 2 tomorrow. Don't know how far you are, but might be worth saying hi.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

These guys loving blew my mind.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

This is a good series, looking forward to the next one.

BuffaloChicken posted:

They've been posted a few times before, so hope the thread doesn't mind a recap.

For context, I started Tyranids over a decade ago in a jungle scheme.

Man, that's good stuff. :cthulhu:

Listening to a 20 hour H.P. Lovecraft audiobook inspired taking my army in the cult/tyranid direction. The inner heretic in me couldn't resist. Astra Militarum is in a nice place this edition where it can be integrated into all kinds of different army types.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Skails posted:

Astra Militarum is in a nice place this edition where it can be integrated into all kinds of different army types.

I just finished building my small tzeentch renegade tempestus detachment this last week. Haven't gotten around to putting paint down yet, but I figured I'd share.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Good to hear, thanks!

Here’s the list as it stands right now, thoughts before I spend 300 bucks on army mans?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [63 PL, 1250pts] ++

+ HQ +

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Grand Strategist, Kurov's Aquila, Plasma pistol, Warlord

Tank Commander [12 PL, 241pts]: Display Tank Orders, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons, Relic of Lost Cadia, Storm Bolter
. Command Battle Tank: Battle Cannon

Tempestor Prime [3 PL, 45pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Plasma Pistol

+ Troops +

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 86pts]
. 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
. Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Taurox Prime [6 PL, 126pts]: Storm Bolter, Taurox Gatling Cannon, Two Autocannons

+ Heavy Support +

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 186pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Augur array, Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Hunter-Killer Missile, Storm Bolter

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

Regiment: Cadian

+ Elites +

Command Squad [2 PL, 67pts]
. Veteran w/ Medi-pack: Lasgun, Medi-pack
. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Veteran Weapon Team: Lascannon

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad [3 PL, 104pts]

++ Total: [63 PL, 1250pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I don’t see this being very competitive. You need more dudes and chimeras are very over costed. Command squads do best with all plasma in my experience. The short range of Melta and not being able to use it if you drop in is just too prohibitive. Lack of screening is going to hurt too. I start every list with a brigade and 3 scout sentinels as a crutch though so I’m pretty biased.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah Chimeras are garbo, it's sad because I own loads of them but they are way too expensive for what they offer.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

koreban posted:

I just finished building my small tzeentch renegade tempestus detachment this last week. Haven't gotten around to putting paint down yet, but I figured I'd share.

These guys are great. That commissar!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finally finished my Krieg Grenadiers last night.
That I started with somewhere middle of last year or so before other things got in between. :v:
And yes I know there should be ten of them. The auction I won them off only had nine for some reason.

Now I almost want to start working on the infantry squad but I figure I might go crazy painting even more infantry.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Who makes decent 25mm to 32mm base conversion bits? I know some have really bad seams/gaps or are made of crazy smooth paint hating plastic that you need to sand down first, and I'd rather avoid all that mess if I can.

Also what up random number of krieg dudes buddy? I like your scheme bruh, reminds me of me

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Haha nice. I know I got it from an older version of this thread a few years ago when I wanted to paint up a Command Squad I had so who knows, might have gotten it from you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have any plasma exterminator arms from the Inceptor kit that they're not using? I need three sets. I don't have the actual box but from what I can tell the plasma exterminator stuff is completely separate from the assault bolters?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does anyone have any plasma exterminator arms from the Inceptor kit that they're not using? I need three sets. I don't have the actual box but from what I can tell the plasma exterminator stuff is completely separate from the assault bolters?

You'd need more shoulders but otherwise yes.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

When i was searching for pictures of an older stormtrooper model with a plasma gun, the best result i got was an SRM post on Dakka from 2010. The internet never forgets.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BuffaloChicken posted:

Awesome stuff

That reminds me, you did a lot of jungle terrain right? Do you have any good tutorials for doing some with aquarium plants or similar? My son wants me to buy him extremely expensive Lego sets, so he can get a few jungle pieces from each and make a forest. Seems like a good time to introduce him to terrain building :)

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

HardCoil posted:

That reminds me, you did a lot of jungle terrain right? Do you have any good tutorials for doing some with aquarium plants or similar? My son wants me to buy him extremely expensive Lego sets, so he can get a few jungle pieces from each and make a forest. Seems like a good time to introduce him to terrain building :)

Not what you were asking but don't forget you can buy individual lego pieces from bricklink and such too.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Oh, yeah, true, we're getting some joints for robot parts I think, but I didn't check if they have the jungle stuff as well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Emperor's Children codex better have an updated Doomrider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

The Emperor's Children codex better have an updated Doomrider.

Alas, Codex CSM is the EC codex.