Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Honestly I never know what to do with functions like that, that is, functions that do fairly obvious things. A well-named function and set of parameters should be fairly self-documenting, but I always feel like it's better to have stupid, obvious function header comments than none at all. If for no other reason than that the color of the comment text is a better visual separator than anything else. I see that big block of green, I know I'm at the start of a function no matter how fast I'm scrolling.

Also, a number of places auto-generate documentation (for public or internal consumption) based on those comment blocks so having them there may not be optional.

Obviously I have no clue whether that's the case for the OP's code base :haw:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

The best documentation is:

code:
/**
 * ThingInfo getInfoAboutThing(Thing thing)
 * @thing: A Thing to get info about.
 * Get info about a Thing @thing.
 * Returns: A ThingInfo that contains the info for Thing @thing.
 */

Our code doesn't pass review without these :smith:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Che Delilas posted:

Honestly I never know what to do with functions like that, that is, functions that do fairly obvious things. A well-named function and set of parameters should be fairly self-documenting, but I always feel like it's better to have stupid, obvious function header comments than none at all. If for no other reason than that the color of the comment text is a better visual separator than anything else. I see that big block of green, I know I'm at the start of a function no matter how fast I'm scrolling.

I see those as good opportunities to add "See Also" links to things that somebody looking up documentation for an obvious function might actually be wanting.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

Tell me what a ThingInfo is. Is this a low-level method? Do you expect it to be used often? If not, what should I use instead? Do I need to free the ThingInfo after I'm done with it?

Better documentation would be: "Gets the ThingInfo for a thing. The ThingInfo is a low-level data structure containing a make, version and body. As the ThingInfo is not updated when the Thing is updated, users should instead use getNameForThing instead. See the ThingInfo documentation for more details."

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Right - while it may be obvious that the function returns a ThingInfo, it is not immediately obvious why it does so or in which scenarios this can be done. The most important thing is to document why the code exists and what purpose it serves, not so much what it actually does.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

EssOEss posted:

Right - while it may be obvious that the function returns a ThingInfo, it is not immediately obvious why it does so or in which scenarios this can be done. The most important thing is to document why the code exists and what purpose it serves, not so much what it actually does.

Yeah, if you document what it actually does, you just end up in a situation down the line where the code has changed, but the commentary hasn't, and they directly contradict each other. Then you get to play the "bug or feature?" game.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
If you have actually written tests for your code, especially if you've done it in a TDD way, the tests themselves generally serve as documentation for how to use the function and what it does. Also, then you effectively have sample code that can be used if someone else wants to use that method.

In theory, anyway. There are still times you want comments, especially of the "this is the purpose of this class" variety.

Also, publishing a public API is different, to an extent.

But still, a set of tests that demonstrates how the method is supposed to act is far superior than comments above the method that say how it's supposed to act.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tell me what a ThingInfo is. Is this a low-level method? Do you expect it to be used often? If not, what should I use instead? Do I need to free the ThingInfo after I'm done with it?

Better documentation would be: "Gets the ThingInfo for a thing. The ThingInfo is a low-level data structure containing a make, version and body. As the ThingInfo is not updated when the Thing is updated, users should instead use getNameForThing instead. See the ThingInfo documentation for more details."

What if it's virtual and is meant to be overwritten by a bunch of other classes?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

If you have actually written tests for your code, especially if you've done it in a TDD way, the tests themselves generally serve as documentation for how to use the function and what it does. Also, then you effectively have sample code that can be used if someone else wants to use that method.

Tests don't look like sample code for someone trying to use a library. If you give me this "just look in the tests/ folder for examples about how to use it" poo poo, I will punch you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

What if it's virtual and is meant to be overwritten by a bunch of other classes?

I don't know. What if it's virtual and is meant to be overwritten by a bunch of other classes?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tests don't look like sample code for someone trying to use a library. If you give me this "just look in the tests/ folder for examples about how to use it" poo poo, I will punch you.

Tests: Living documentation of implementation details intended behavior
XML comments at the class/method level: Documentation of how and when to use them
Regular old in-line comments: Explanation of the rationale behind something weird or hacky

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 12, 2014

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hence my exceptions for "public API", which was admittedly a poor way of saying "a library". Yes, if you're writing a library, you will need to have documentation above and beyond the tests. (Though you should still make the tests public because they can be useful for documentation purposes).

Ithaqua posted:

Tests: Living documentation of implementation details
XML comments at the class/method level: Documentation of how and when to use them
Regular old in-line comments: Explanation of the rationale behind something weird or hacky

Yes, this very much, except that I would say you shouldn't be writing your tests based on the implementation details of a class; you should be writing your tests based around the public methods of the class. Part of the benefit of tests is that you can change the underlying implementation (such as making something more efficient) and be confident that it still works the way it should because your tests pass.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Source control is a good place for rationale. "Refactored foo to remove dependency on bar.\n - I know this commit looks weird, but...". Then blame gives you a narrative.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wardende posted:

I always use:

code:
/*
 * @Brief:
 * @Params:
 * @Retval:
 * @Notes: (Optional)
 */

int butts( int cloud )
{

}

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Axiem posted:

Yes, this very much, except that I would say you shouldn't be writing your tests based on the implementation details of a class; you should be writing your tests based around the public methods of the class. Part of the benefit of tests is that you can change the underlying implementation (such as making something more efficient) and be confident that it still works the way it should because your tests pass.

Fair enough -- pretend I said "intended behavior" instead of "implementation detail".

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Code is not documentation. It doesn't matter if the code is tests which test other code. Tests need documenting as well.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qntm posted:

Code is not documentation. It doesn't matter if the code is tests which test other code. Tests need documenting as well.
God yes. I see people saying "just read the tests" and all I can do is wonder how they've gone so long without seeing the spaghetti that often passes for tests in the real world. Assuming the test suite even invokes the method you're interested in at all.

If someone* looking at a method can't understand what it's for and how it's used without referring to external documentation or tests, your code is bad. Sorry. That doesn't mean you have to write a thousand-word essay explaining every trivial getter, but it sure as hell does mean you need to document anything that's non-trivial - and that applies to any code that will ever be maintained, not just public APIs.

Unless your employer actively supports paying people to reverse-engineer their own products, I guess, but that seems like a rather inefficient way to run a business.

* Someone who knows the language and has a basic understanding of the domain you're working in, at least. For example: you, in six months' time.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Soricidus posted:

If someone* looking at a method can't understand what it's for and how it's used without referring to external documentation or tests

Or worse, asking someone.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Soricidus posted:

Unless your employer actively supports paying people to reverse-engineer their own products, I guess, but that seems like a rather inefficient way to run a business.

This is kinda what we do where I work. We have a common set of DLLs for a bunch of different specialized sites, and there's no good way to tell which version of the source matches up with the DLL that is currently in use for a site so we just tend to decompile the DLLs (MSIL) and see what they're doing from there. There's not enough documentation in the source for those DLLs that you're missing anything either, you're kinda stuck trying to figure out what it's doing in each case when you're working on something.

ps. this sucks and is a terrible way of doing it

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

carry on then posted:

To be clear, it's a very large piece of enterprise software. I honestly don't think the "build the product" stage is that long, but with testing it can take quite a while.

Where we are its just over an hour to build our Java app, shame it runs on outdated enterprise server though....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wardende posted:

same here plus it checks the header block we have to have on all files, we have had more fails due to missing header than bad code (although a lot is laughable)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

qntm posted:

This. Take the time out of your busy TDD schedule of writing tests for everything, and write me three lines in English describing your function, so I can read that instead of a page of test source code.

Don't give me the "well I'll document it if it's a library" line either, if I have to look at your code then I need to know what the hell it does, and nuts to your "my code is self documenting :smug:" approach.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Don't give me the "well I'll document it if it's a library" line either, if I have to look at your code then I need to know what the hell it does, and nuts to your "my code is self documenting :smug:" approach.

My favorite moment at work was doing a code review for a very smart architect who dogmatically insisted that code be self documenting. Trying for a good five minutes to figure out what a function HE WROTE a month before did. And not even realizing the irony of repeating its self documenting as he was doing so.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

This. Take the time out of your busy TDD schedule of writing tests for everything, and write me three lines in English describing your function, so I can read that instead of a page of test source code.

Okay, I'd give you those three lines. Six months down the line they might be flat out wrong though.

Good tests (i.e. examples of usage) are way better than documentation. The last project I worked on had roughly 100 MB of Office files of design documents and other documentation; guess how many of those were worth reading to actually work on the code.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

I'm working on a Rails API on a team that does TDD and it works pretty well I think. We have almost no comments in our code, but we try to make stuff readable by keeping our functions as short as possible and refactoring anything significant out to another class/function. We really just let the tests describe what the files/methods do. We also use a doc generator that reads the acceptance tests and spits out detail on all the endpoints and example input/output.

I'd kill myself if we spent even more time writing comments everywhere since TDD already takes forever.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

pigdog posted:

Okay, I'd give you those three lines. Six months down the line they might be flat out wrong though.

Good tests (i.e. examples of usage) are way better than documentation. The last project I worked on had roughly 100 MB of Office files of design documents and other documentation; guess how many of those were worth reading to actually work on the code.

Welp, I guess commenting is dead because the comments could be wrong. There's no middle ground here! The path to 100MB of design documents starts with a comment describing the intent of a function!

pigdog-PrimeUniverse posted:

Okay, I'd give you those tests. Six months down the line they might be flat out wrong though.

Good comments (i.e. descriptions of functions) are way better than tests. The last project I worked on had roughly 100 MB of test scripts; guess how many of those were worth reading to actually work on the code.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 13, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ErIog posted:

Welp, I guess commenting is dead because the comments could be wrong. There's no middle ground here!
As a matter of fact, the other codebase I was last working on very nearly did not have any comments, but did have good test coverage, both unit and functional. Maybe not 100s of MB's but a lot. Not saying it's ideal, but it was immeasurably easier to work with.

That's not to say removing comments automatically makes code better, but working on up to date tests is a better time investment than trying to keep comments up to date.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 13, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

pigdog posted:

Or maybe, uh, I don't know, update the comments when you're changing the code?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey, remember the guy who said architecture diagrams are categorically worthless and you can get all the information you need from reading the code? The absolutism wasn't right then, either.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

omeg posted:

Or maybe, uh, I don't know, update the comments when you're changing the code?
Or you could do something more productive with your time. A refactoring step could change 100's of classes at a time; you could run it, run tests, and be assured that it didn't break anything. That's easier than browsing through those 100's of classes and check if the comments still make sense by manually comparing them to code.

I'm not the one bringing about absolutes, just that I've seen it both ways recently, and the guys who rarely write any comments on the basis that naming, SRP and tests should explain the code instead, did produce better code. Personally I'm not that fundamentalist, but given the choice I'd err on the side of self-explanatory code than code that needs comments to explain how it works.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 13, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The documentation comment about the function isn't supposed to document its internals, only the contract you provide to the caller. And if that contract changes quite often, you built a poor API.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Suspicious Dish posted:

The documentation comment about the function isn't supposed to document its internals, only the contract you provide to the caller. And if that contract changes quite often, you built a poor API.

No doubt documentation, ie Javadoc, on public interfaces that aren't supposed to change is great. The rest of the code behind that facade shouldn't expect the same treatment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pigdog posted:

Or you could do something more productive with your time. A refactoring step could change 100's of classes at a time; you could run it, run tests, and be assured that it didn't break anything. That's easier than browsing through those 100's of classes and check if the comments still make sense by manually comparing them to code.

I'm not the one bringing about absolutes, just that I've seen it both ways recently, and the guys who rarely write any comments on the basis that naming, SRP and tests should explain the code instead, did produce better code. Personally I'm not that fundamentalist, but given the choice I'd err on the side of self-explanatory code than code that needs comments to explain how it works.

Are you seriously saying that taking 10 seconds out of your time to update the comments aren't worth it?

You are the person with whom we share code.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ratbert90 posted:

Are you seriously saying that taking 10 seconds out of your time to update the comments aren't worth it?

You are the person with whom we share code.

No, they're not seriously saying that and it's disingenuous for you to cast it as such.

There is good tooling for changing large swaths of code in clean, maintainable ways. There are no such tools for changing documentation like that. It's silly to posit that documentation updates would take "10 seconds" when the tooling to do that simply does not exist.

We can pick some details for which I'm wrong, and it seems quite popular to do so feel free, but the general point of where tooling is available is not rendered false from such an effort.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Could someone who's arguing that tests can make good documentation please post an example of a test suite they'd like to use that way? I'm honestly interested to see what you have in mind.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Soricidus posted:

Could someone who's arguing that tests can make good documentation please post an example of a test suite they'd like to use that way? I'm honestly interested to see what you have in mind.
The best argument for TDD is the Wine project. Or at least TDD within the Wine project.

The reason is fairly simple -- there's an absolute gold standard for what a "good test" is -- it's one that consistently passes on Windows, no matter how weird or hosed up or nonsensible it is. If Windows does it, we need to do it too.

Throughout its history the Wine project has learned that MSDN, the documentation for the API functions we're testing, is full of outright lies and nonmentions of bugs, and often applications rely on those bugs working a certain way. In this way Wine's code itself, and its corresponding test suite, can sometimes tell you more about what the Windows API does than MSDN.

This is all Wine-specific, of course -- users of the MSDN documentation aren't the people modifying the Windows source code, they're third parties. And Wine developers can't see the MS source code either. And most projects can't have such an easy definition of "good test".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ShadowHawk posted:

The best argument for TDD is the Wine project. Or at least TDD within the Wine project.

The reason is fairly simple -- there's an absolute gold standard for what a "good test" is -- it's one that consistently passes on Windows, no matter how weird or hosed up or nonsensible it is. If Windows does it, we need to do it too.

Throughout its history the Wine project has learned that MSDN, the documentation for the API functions we're testing, is full of outright lies and nonmentions of bugs, and often applications rely on those bugs working a certain way. In this way Wine's code itself, and its corresponding test suite, can sometimes tell you more about what the Windows API does than MSDN.

This is all Wine-specific, of course -- users of the MSDN documentation aren't the people modifying the Windows source code, they're third parties. And Wine developers can't see the MS source code either. And most projects can't have such an easy definition of "good test".

See, I'm already sold on the idea that your libraries and APIs should have tests, I really am. What I'm not sold on is the idea that your tests should be your documentation. I've already been in the situation where I had to make test suited to verify third party behavior because their docs were nothing but lies. That didn't stop me from telling them and demanding that they fix their docs along with their behavior.

Obviously you can't tell Microsoft to do anything, but you can certainly tell yourself and your teammates.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Soricidus posted:

I regularly jump into the ReactiveCocoa tests to understand how to use various pieces of the framework:
https://github.com/ReactiveCocoa/ReactiveCocoa/tree/master/ReactiveCocoaFramework/ReactiveCocoaTests

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JawnV6 posted:

There is good tooling for changing large swaths of code in clean, maintainable ways. There are no such tools for changing documentation like that.

Yeah, but we should all be ashamed of that.

(Except you maybe, because you make clean water stuff, but those of us who drive ad clicks should be feeling sort of awkward.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

ECMA-262 test is pretty good that way. It's helped by the fact that the alternative documentation is a brain-meltingly hard-to-read specification, though.