Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm. i can't read, should go to sleep.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

For anyone with a Coffee Lake processor and a case of upgraditis, this is my 9900KF (4.9GHz all core) versus my new 12700K on stock. The rest of the system is a 3080 FE, C14/3600 DDR4 and an NVME drive.

By far the most noticeable improvement has been Windows chugging less immediately after boot or when quickly alt-tabbing between a game and other programs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Would you take a 10700k over a 11600k? Gamer's Nexus had the 11600k ahead in a lot of their gaming benchmarks, and there's the PCIe 4 support (I'm unclear how relevant it'll end up being. DirectStorage will support PCIe 3, iinm). But the 10700k is an 8 core, and probably more OCable.

They're sometimes in a similar price range.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 15, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you like gaming, I would consider a 12600k + DDR4 board (the MSI Pro Z690-A that Buildzoid likes, for example) if your budget is in that range. Just goofing with current PC Part Picker prices, the board+CPU prices with the cheapest mobo I would consider are:

$356 - 11600k
$428 - 10700k
$509 - 12600k

$150 increase isn't that huge by raw price, especially diluted as part of a total system (if you are doing that) and with the knowledge that the 12600k will absolutely have a longer usable lifetime when you are starting from today. More cores + better cores + more modern platform + whats bound to be a more popular platform + better in socket upgrade options in the future with the news items about Raptor Lake also supporting DDR4 all make a good argument for the price increase, to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1460244278647480324

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1460255159502704643

and the other is obviously Raptor Lake

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta say, Fishhawk Falls is the weirdest codename Intel has had for a while

Kinda hyped to see how it turns out. Are the rumours pointing to all big cores (golden cove)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

If you like gaming, I would consider a 12600k + DDR4 board (the MSI Pro Z690-A that Buildzoid likes, for example) if your budget is in that range. Just goofing with current PC Part Picker prices, the board+CPU prices with the cheapest mobo I would consider are:

$356 - 11600k
$428 - 10700k
$509 - 12600k

$150 increase isn't that huge by raw price, especially diluted as part of a total system (if you are doing that) and with the knowledge that the 12600k will absolutely have a longer usable lifetime when you are starting from today. More cores + better cores + more modern platform + whats bound to be a more popular platform + better in socket upgrade options in the future with the news items about Raptor Lake also supporting DDR4 all make a good argument for the price increase, to me.

No I agree, but an extra $100 would already be pushing it, and the new motherboards are expensive (more than you outlined because I need wifi) and much less likely to get Black Friday sales than the LGA1200 mobos.

Idk, maybe if I'm in a good mood I'll splurge, but as we talked about on the last page, for gaming the 12000k isn't likely to make a big difference, especially without the budget for a high end GPU.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FYI, I managed to get Best Buy to price match the $200 11600K Micro center offer. It took two times. I didn't want to waste CS' time, but the first guy seemed to not understand the Micro center page (he thought the part was out of stock).

But your mileage may definitely vary. And I doubt the Tustin specific sale ($150 10700K) would fly because they asked for my zip code multiple times.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some cool pictures of upcoming products. Meteor Lake, Ponte Vecchio, Sapphire Rapids etc:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/a-look-inside-intels-mammoth-arizona-chipmaking-fab/

Guys i think this chiplet thing may just be the future afterall

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Looking forward to people who are locked into the "big pea" mindset killing those chips. Or rather, the desktop and HEDT versions that are their descendants.

(yes, I know the gold ones are meant for supercomputers)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
DPPH

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Is it new that Intel is allowing reporters to take so many pictures of unreleased chips and fab equipment? Although it does like it has been heavily curated, they seem to have carefully omitted any pictures of the steppers.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

I thought chiplets were more delicate. I guess if the balls are tens of microns apart there's more leeway to treat them under less than cleanroom conditions. I thought they were all assembled pretty much after being cut from the wafers, still inside the originating fab.

e: btw tech jesus did benchmark the 12900k IGP. There's as good as no difference between them, wtf intel?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

karoshi posted:

e: btw tech jesus did benchmark the 12900k IGP. There's as good as no difference between them, wtf intel?

Intel no longer has apple to ride their rear end for bad quality onboard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Beef posted:

Is it new that Intel is allowing reporters to take so many pictures of unreleased chips and fab equipment? Although it does like it has been heavily curated, they seem to have carefully omitted any pictures of the steppers.

It is absolutely a change for them, supposedly part of Gelsinger's new direction for the company. It also tends to be what tech companies that are behind their competitors do to stir up positive press and investor confidence. I'm sure thats not related, no no.

karoshi posted:

It's the same 32EU Xe design as Rocket Lake. The parts with the big 96EU designs are mobile only. You don't want to use any of the integrated graphics options on desktop, AMD or Intel, for any gaming thats remotely modern, honestly.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Cygni posted:

It's the same 32EU Xe design as Rocket Lake. The parts with the big 96EU designs are mobile only. You don't want to use any of the integrated graphics options on desktop, AMD or Intel, for any gaming thats remotely modern, honestly.

Well, congratulations to Intel on delivering an IGP that's not limited by RAM bandwidth. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was looking at Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus benchmarks of the 11600K, and noticed there's a pretty big disparity between the results for the two games that overlapped in their testing.

HU has the 11600K matching the 10600K in F1 2020, whilst the 11-chip is fairly significantly ahead for GN

And in Siege, GN's numbers are again favorable for the 11600K, where it's almost as strong as the 5600X, whilst in HU's testing the 5600X is way ahead

There's a similar pattern in the application benchmarks.

Each YouTube channel uses different pc components in their testing rigs, and different graphical presets for games, but I was surprised at just how consistently the 11600K looked better in GN's benchmarks. Could it be silicon lottery, or more down to differences in testing?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rinkles posted:

Each YouTube channel uses different pc components in their testing rigs, and different graphical presets for games, but I was surprised at just how consistently the 11600K looked better in GN's benchmarks. Could it be silicon lottery, or more down to differences in testing?

Most of the above, but I doubt silicon lottery makes a significant difference at stock speed.

Different game settings used for testing probably make up a lot of it.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 19, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I was looking at Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus benchmarks of the 11600K, and noticed there's a pretty big disparity between the results for the two games that overlapped in their testing.

HU has the 11600K matching the 10600K in F1 2020, whilst the 11-chip is fairly significantly ahead for GN

And in Siege, GN's numbers are again favorable for the 11600K, where it's almost as strong as the 5600X, whilst in HU's testing the 5600X is way ahead

There's a similar pattern in the application benchmarks.

Probably ram, GN uses the same kit of 3200c14 BDie that they manually tune the subtimings on.

Ram subtimings can have a massive impact in some games, I got 10%+ in FC6 going from 4000c17 XMP to 3900c14 with tuned subs.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They are building new highly water-intensive fabs... in Arizona???? :pwn:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's my understanding that Arizona is rather seismologically stable, and consequently already has a bunch of existing IT corps and data centers operating in the state, as points in the Pro column, even if being in the middle of the drat desert might otherwise make it sound like a really bad idea

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's my understanding that Arizona is rather seismologically stable, and consequently already has a bunch of existing IT corps and data centers operating in the state, as points in the Pro column, even if being in the middle of the drat desert might otherwise make it sound like a really bad idea
also helps that all the tool manufacturers have people there to fix tooling issues and there's a bunch of people nearby already trained to be techs

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
There is a fuckton of water purification infrastructure at fab sites by necessity. Intel is already flowing back 95% or something of the water intake and they are aiming for 100+%

Edit: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/06/04/why-intel-tsmc-are-building-water-dependent-chip-plants-in-arizona.html

Beef fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 19, 2021

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Plus Intel already has fabs and empty fab space in the PHX area. Also, (and I cannot explain why) water was pretty loving cheap when I lived in PHX for some reason.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

water is like skilled talent you want to trap as much of that as possible

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Intel currently does on-site treatment for their waste stream, but they still send quite a bit of effluent out to Chandler. The water that they can re-purpose from their on-site treatment systems, typically gets used for cooling purposes, and they purchase potable water from Chandler and then do ultra purification on it for manufacturing use.

TSMC will eventually do some on-site treatment and re-use, ultimately for cooling purposes also, but that is a few years out from when they begin manufacturing, and I think until then, most of the waste will go to Phoenix. They do want to do ultra purification also, but that'll be even later, since they're still working on the ultra purification reuse approach in Taiwan and are using that as a pilot of sorts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was gonna head down to Microcenter today to get one of those insane $150 10700Ks for a friend, but i regret to announce that they are sold out and the price is back up to $220. They managed to last a pretty long time at that price so that must have been a hell of a shipment they had.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

12600K for $270 at Microcenter
:eyepop:

My MC was already low on stock the last few days, so there's no way there'd be any left now. Worth noting it's out of stock in Best Buy and Amazon, so maybe it's not selling that poorly after all.

Also Z690 prices haven't budged.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 23, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Making the jump to the 12900k and going with DDR4. Unfortunately my current 9700k build has some garbage 3000CL15 RAM i bought back in 2018 when the memory market was pretty hosed pricewise, so I had to buy a new kit anyway. People are saying that the MSI boards are pretty solid for DDR4 so I'm going with the Pro Z690-A, also helps that it's quite affordable.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You aren’t gonna believe this, but the 2nd wave of DDR5 modules look much much better than the launch options. Whomst could have predicted!

https://youtu.be/I5pXSBus8pQ

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Interesting that it's 1.25v compared to 1.35v on existing DDR4 sticks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Interesting that it's 1.25v compared to 1.35v on existing DDR4 sticks

DDR5 was designed to use lower voltages, no?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

DDR5 was designed to use lower voltages, no?

1.1v-1.6v, so the range is quite large. ADATA or whatever who did the DDR5-12600 announcement a while back said they were 8400 1.1v sticks running at 12600 1.6v.

Future is going to go insane for DDR5.

In other stupid news, I'm water-cooling my bdie to see if I can hit 30ns latency.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems H670 and B660 boards (and the lower end ADL parts to go with them) are fairly imminent, as the lineups and full prices are leaking. In related news, Intel and AMD both have presentations at CES on January 4th.

https://twitter.com/g01d3nm4ng0/status/1466812876585598976

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I replacing the motherboard I installed just last week. Would it be a bad idea to keep the thermal paste? Just asking since it's still fresh and there's quite a bit of it.

If I'm applying a new layer, can I use lens wipes to clean the surfaces?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rinkles posted:

I replacing the motherboard I installed just last week. Would it be a bad idea to keep the thermal paste? Just asking since it's still fresh and there's quite a bit of it.

If I'm applying a new layer, can I use lens wipes to clean the surfaces?

Microfiber cloth and 70% isopropyl is what I use - you can't be sure if those lens cleaning cloths won't leave behind strands.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Coffee filters work well for cleaning thermal paste. I would reapply if you have more paste lying around.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, most of the point of reapplying thermal paste any time you expose it is making sure you don't have any voids/bubbles in the seal. Even if the paste itself is fresh, sticking two surfaces back together with paste that is already spread out and then pulled apart is more likely to trap bubbles inside than spreading out from a central blob/X/stripe. Not sure how much difference it makes in practice especially if your heatsink is overkill, but I'd also reapply if I had the paste on hand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

Seems H670 and B660 boards (and the lower end ADL parts to go with them) are fairly imminent, as the lineups and full prices are leaking. In related news, Intel and AMD both have presentations at CES on January 4th.

do we know if the H and B boards will support memory tuning like the 500 series did?

Rinkles posted:

nthing that you should generally reapply paste whenever you pull the cooler apart from the CPU no matter how "fresh" it might still look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hosed up and ended up repasting three times, because I noticed that the cooler was loose, but only by the second attempt did I realize it was because I forgot to screw in the mounting brackets. At least this was before I moved on to do anything else.

A lot of wasted paste, though by the end I was more confident about how much (or little) was actually needed.