Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Groke posted:

Going off somewhere to be by oneself in order to take a dump seems to be something of an instinct with toddlers. 4 out of 4 have done it in the sample space of our household.

"This one secret trick to getting your toddler to use the potty without your involvement"

No, sorry, I don't know what the trick is.

Edit: Well you are in a good place to start potty training since you have evidence the kid knows when he needs to go. At this point, it's just about putting in the work.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

"This one secret trick to getting your toddler to use the potty without your involvement"

No, sorry, I don't know what the trick is.

Well then it wouldn't be SECRET, would it?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Next trick: How to get the bigger kids to not all think they can spend half an hour on the toilet at the same drat time every evening. We do have two toilets in the house but that's still rather less than the number of people who need to use them.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Is this the best thread for getting a kid that is a teenage nephew added to your family when you were previously just two plus a toddler?

Because I have a lot of questions about dealing with teens that I didn't think I would have to deal with for awhile, but our nephew moved in a couple months ago because care gave out for him and it is looking like a permanent move.

The foster/adopt thread is very slow, but there are a few of us who've had teens in there, and if your nephew had some rough circumstances that led to being placed with you, we're also all about trauma-informed practices.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Groke posted:

Going off somewhere to be by oneself in order to take a dump seems to be something of an instinct with toddlers. 4 out of 4 have done it in the sample space of our household.

When my daughter was still in diapers, we knew we'd have a lovely diaper whenever she toddled to certain spots. In our house if she went behind the couch, we knew one would be waiting. At my grandmother's house, if she wrapped herself in the curtains between the couch and recliner, same deal. They're basically cats.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Hmm, toddlers also like just hanging out in cardboard boxes.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Baby’s MRI came back “unremarkable”. Which was great news. No significant damage from the trauma at birth and everything is fully developed.

They extubated him yesterday at about 5pm.

Then I got a call this morning that he struggled in the early am and they had to re-intubate. He breathed on his own for about 12 hours.

The extubation was such an emotional high, such a sign of real progress, in my eyes. The re-intubation is a new emotional low for me, it’s just such a crushing way to start a day.

Tomorrow will be better.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have many pictures of my toddler on a cat thing while the cat is on a toddler thing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Hibajubwa posted:

Baby’s MRI came back “unremarkable”. Which was great news. No significant damage from the trauma at birth and everything is fully developed.

Then I got a call this morning that he struggled in the early am and they had to re-intubate. He breathed on his own for about 12 hours.

The extubation was such an emotional high, such a sign of real progress, in my eyes. The re-intubation is a new emotional low for me, it’s just such a crushing way to start a day.

Tomorrow will be better.

It sounds like your little dude is a fighter and is on the path to recovery. I can’t even imagine what you are doing through, but this internet stranger is pulling for you and you are right, tomorrow will be better!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

remigious posted:

It sounds like your little dude is a fighter and is on the path to recovery. I can’t even imagine what you are doing through, but this internet stranger is pulling for you and you are right, tomorrow will be better!

Same

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Agh my 3 year old son loves taking advantage of me.

The last few nights he’ll randomly scream out and throw a tantrum at night after sleeping. Reasons will range for:

Potty
Water (his water is in his room, he just won’t get out of bed for some reason)
Being held
Wanting a song
Wiping tears from his face from starting the tantrum
Wanting socks on

Most of the time none of the reasons are valid as he won’t pee much and it’s not cold in his room. Last night was the worst. 8:30, 11, 1, and 3 he was up at. He refuses my wife and only wants me, but we were both in there to the point we were yelling at him and also gave him a time out once because he wasn’t making any sense and was waking his brother up who sleeps next door.

He doesn’t comprehend anything, or doesn’t seem to be able to give valid reasons the next day why he did any of the above freak outs.

We’re beside ourselves. Timeouts don’t work, we don’t hit him, the only other thing is maybe taking away stuffed animals? That will cause another freak out but maybe it will work?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I know that when my niece exhibited some similar behaviour, it turned out to be the result of an actual sleep disorder. If it's an ongoing thing, might be worth checking with a pediatrician?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Agh my 3 year old son loves taking advantage of me.

The last few nights he’ll randomly scream out and throw a tantrum at night after sleeping. Reasons will range for:

Potty
Water (his water is in his room, he just won’t get out of bed for some reason)
Being held
Wanting a song
Wiping tears from his face from starting the tantrum
Wanting socks on

Most of the time none of the reasons are valid as he won’t pee much and it’s not cold in his room. Last night was the worst. 8:30, 11, 1, and 3 he was up at. He refuses my wife and only wants me, but we were both in there to the point we were yelling at him and also gave him a time out once because he wasn’t making any sense and was waking his brother up who sleeps next door.

He doesn’t comprehend anything, or doesn’t seem to be able to give valid reasons the next day why he did any of the above freak outs.

We’re beside ourselves. Timeouts don’t work, we don’t hit him, the only other thing is maybe taking away stuffed animals? That will cause another freak out but maybe it will work?

I posit that he probably does it because he knows it works to get you in there. My 3yo can’t articulate that stuff either, it’s always a bullshit reason, you can never really know what he really means or wants or needs. One night recently he kept kicking off his blankets and crying for us to come in, and he’d say he wanted to be tucked in. It’s like, we see right through it, but some parental instinct in there prevents us from just leaving him in there to be cold, at least initially. Some things we just ignore, and he will get out of bed to come cry closer to us in the living room as if he thinks we can’t hear him from his room (it’s hard not to rofl).

But I am pretty sure than even negative attention (yelling, scolding, etc is, to a toddler, better than none at all. For me I’d try my best to ignore it, eventually they will get the message, or finally muster up the ability to use their words to describe to you what they need.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

One of our doctors mentioned it sounds like night terrors and that there’s nothing we can really do.

Scolding probably isn’t the right answer if that’s true but holy gently caress it’s aggravating especially when there’s a sick infant next door sleeping.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My twins have been playing "Let's Throw Up!" the past few days.

Every time I'm not paying attention to them (e.g. cooking or cleaning) they'll just make themselves throw up by shoving a hand down their throat. My girl used to do this but I thought she grew out of it. And now both of them do it ugh.

Vomit vomit everywhere.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Normal, well functioning brain: 4 day weekend!!
Broken parent brain: gently caress, 4 days without daycare

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I had taken off the entire week to relax and do things around the house. Well after my MIL letting our daughter play outside with a thin jacket for hours on Sunday, she's had a head cold all week so my week off has been taking care of a sick kiddo. On top of getting our new pup in a routine. I swear it's like my MIL has forgotten how to take care of a kid.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

nachos posted:

God, exactly this. I'm taking Monday off when my daughter's back in daycare since Saturday is my birthday and I would like at least one day where I can be free and do whatever I like. I work at a university and have several days off between Christmas and New Years--daycare is only closed for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, so that'll be several days when I won't be working and she'll be in daycare. I am INCREDIBLY excited.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hibajubwa posted:

Tomorrow will be better.

Tomorrow will be better! Really keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Thank you for updating us, I was worried about your little dude. Glad he’s “unremarkable” and hope the second extubation goes better.

What a scary situation, you and your wife are very brave.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

calandryll posted:

our daughter play outside with a thin jacket for hours on Sunday, she's had a head cold all week

It's been scientifically proven that immunity does not drop due to low body temp. File under: old wives tales

Probably what happened is your MIL went to dinner with someone who is sick before coming to visit, was asymptomatic, then gave it to your daughter

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nachos posted:

Five here.

Today was the first day but Mrs Pony had to wfh all morning. Fortunately we had already had a conversation about each of us not starting something then leaving the other parent there to deal with the fallout* so it went as smoothly as it could have with me getting over a cold and mini pony being tired af and not eating well thanks to two bottom canines coming in simultaneously. Which is to say gently caress I'm tired.

*the conversation was started because once she got "The Wheels on the Bus" out of its hiding place and read/sang through it one time before needing to head out somewhere, leaving me to sing it the other nine times which mini pony demanded. After careful consideration and extensive experimentation I have determined that "The Wheels on the Bus" is the worst song in existence.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

calandryll posted:

I swear it's like my MIL has forgotten how to take care of a kid.
This is my experience with all my kids grandparents and most old people I interact with on the subject

Hadlock posted:

File under: old wives tales

Need to update the name of this file

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tom Smykowski posted:

This is my experience with all my kids grandparents and most old people I interact with on the subject

I choose to believe it’s an elaborate form of revenge on their own kids for being such assholes at a young age.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nwin posted:

One of our doctors mentioned it sounds like night terrors and that there’s nothing we can really do.
Classical night terrors is when your kiddo wakes up inconsolable and just keeps yelling/screaming until they fall back to sleep, and then they don't remember it happening the next day.

But yes, I think there's some flavor of night terror/sleepwalking where your kiddo wakes up and demands your attention but their requests don't make any sense and, again, they don't remember it the next day. Think of it as them acting out a dream.

Scolding definitely doesn't work, but yes it's a pain especially if their antics wakes up siblings. The episodes will go away on their own as their brain develops, but you might be able to mitigate it by changing up the nighttime routine or (apparently) preemptively waking them and getting them back to sleep before an episode begins.

With our oldest he'd have an episode once a night every few days and then after a few weeks they mostly went away. He still has them on occasion. The problem for us is he has a very strong gag reflex so he'll get into a cycle of crying and coughing until he eventually vomits everywhere. Fortunately that usually wakes him out of it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I’m hesitant to go wake him up randomly
Because he is just so random when it happens... It seems like he will go weeks without an episode, and then it’s like rapid fire multiple nights in a row.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

nwin posted:

Scolding probably isn’t the right answer if that’s true but holy gently caress it’s aggravating especially when there’s a sick infant next door sleeping.

Have you tried ignoring the behavior and just sitting or lying down with him, and only doing a couple things on repeat? For example if he’s freaking out, you sit on the floor and hum twinkle twinkle, and if he demands interaction, repeating “it’s time to sleep,” or something like that? Punishment definitely won’t help things, but if he is aware of what he’s doing, a parent that only hums and says one thing gets boring pretty fast. If it’s night terrors… good luck.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Hibajubwa posted:

Tomorrow will be better.

I’ve been thinking about you, thanks for the update. MRI results sound great!! You’ve probably heard this but NICU is an emotional roller coaster. It’s not uncommon for babies to need to be reintubated, but that tube won’t be there forever. Those tiny bodies just need a little extra support until they are 100% ready to do everything on their own, which can take time after everything they’ve been through in such a short amount of life. Here’s hoping they can get that tube out soon!

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

nachos posted:

Our last lockdown was 10 weeks with no daycare and both of us parents working from home full time. Kids are aged 1 and 4 which I think was the worst possible combination. 4-year-old would have been totally fine occupied with reading, arts and crafts, but the 1-year-old is a wrecking ball. I think I aged visibly about 10 years over that time. I've never felt so stressed out and burnt out in my life.

Then we had two weeks of daycare in which both kids caught colds, the 4-year-old broke a tooth and had to have it extracted, and then daycare shut down for another week because of Covid exposures

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Question for those who have their kids in daycare: do you feel comfortable having them in daycare with COVID? (Relatively speaking of course)

My wife and especially I have felt overwhelmed at home with our twins recently. They’re almost 2 and we’ve resisted sending them to daycare mainly because of COVID. We’re lucky enough to be in a position where she can work and I can be a full time stay at home dad, but recently I have just been really stressed at home. They demand so much more attention now than they used to and much of the time I don’t feel like I can give them what they need. We’ve been discussing if it might be better to send them to daycare and have me start working again.

Basically I’m wondering for those who have their kids in daycare: do the pros of sending your kids to daycare outweigh the cons, or are you only sending them to daycare because you are forced to by life circumstances?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I mean we have no other choice because we need both incomes to pay our bills. I had some strong reservations when we started in September 2020. We even asked my in-laws if they wanted to move across the country to be caretakers during the pandemic which we would never, ever have done under normal circumstances. Thankfully they declined.

I don’t stress it anymore though with adult vaccines and more knowledge. UK data showed that unvaccinated kids are at lower risk of serious infection than vaccinated seniors (maybe not true anymore with boosters, but still, it’s good news for kids), now I know all the teachers are vaccinated (local mandate for their profession) so I don’t have to worry about that guilt so much, and now that my kid has caught and recovered from multiple non-covid things I know he has a basically functioning immune system.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

Question for those who have their kids in daycare: do you feel comfortable having them in daycare with COVID? (Relatively speaking of course)

My wife and especially I have felt overwhelmed at home with our twins recently. They’re almost 2 and we’ve resisted sending them to daycare mainly because of COVID. We’re lucky enough to be in a position where she can work and I can be a full time stay at home dad, but recently I have just been really stressed at home. They demand so much more attention now than they used to and much of the time I don’t feel like I can give them what they need. We’ve been discussing if it might be better to send them to daycare and have me start working again.

Basically I’m wondering for those who have their kids in daycare: do the pros of sending your kids to daycare outweigh the cons, or are you only sending them to daycare because you are forced to by life circumstances?

We feel comfortable with it but also it’s kind of a have to do it or we’re going to get into a situation where our jobs might suffer to the point of being in jeopardy

Our kids five now and got his first vaccine shot so that also helps

Our daycare is also partly affiliated with a university medical department and Covid exposures are handled by the university rather than the daycare (Bright horizons) so that helps us feel like things still be handled better. There have been few exposures or issues and they were also a center for emergency workers when everything really shut down last year

So mainly I’d really just review their policies and procedures and decide if you’re comfortable with them

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mind_Taker posted:

Well, for sure, daycare is the biggest exposure risk in my life. Both me and my wife are mostly WFH, and the few social activities we do are with vaccinated people, but a daycare full of unvaccinated kids is certainly a risk factor. Some of those kids have parents in service professions, or worse, siblings in school (shudder).

But I'm more at ease now that we both have been vaccinated. I know toddlers can catch Covid, but from all the evidence I've seen they don't get seriously ill to any appreciable extent. I also have not heard of anyone under the age of 11 catching Long Covid (and that one is just an anecdote, a friend's nephew).

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Depends on the covid situation where you’re at, and the school’s protocol, and the specific teacher you get. My kid did outdoor preschool last year and indoor preschool this year. It was nerve wracking at first but they haven’t yet had a single infection in his classroom and only a couple at the entire center. So something is going right there (and hopefully continues to go right!!!). Ask a bunch of questions- even if they give the best of answers you’ll probably still feel anxious about it for a while. That’s normal, I think? Go with whatever you think the best long term benefit is for your family. If you need that time away, or your kid really needs the socialization, then that’s not nothing especially if local transmission is relatively low and there are demonstrated solid protocols in place. It’s not 2020, so the school should be able to provide data on infection levels they’ve had this year to help you judge how their protocols are working.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Koivunen posted:

Have you tried ignoring the behavior and just sitting or lying down with him, and only doing a couple things on repeat? For example if he’s freaking out, you sit on the floor and hum twinkle twinkle, and if he demands interaction, repeating “it’s time to sleep,” or something like that? Punishment definitely won’t help things, but if he is aware of what he’s doing, a parent that only hums and says one thing gets boring pretty fast. If it’s night terrors… good luck.

Thanks, I haven’t tried it but this will be our plan going forward. Last night wasn’t bad until 5 am when he started waking up. I brought a pillow in there and laid on his floor and he thought that was confusing and hilarious, so that might not be the right method.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We’ve found daycare to be worth it for a number of reasons- it’s helping us keep from burning out, giving our eldest a controlled group to socialize with, and lets us do our jobs and have some room to take care of household needs. I really think having a group of kids to play with has been crucial- our daughter is a little weak on social development and cues, and the environment has been great for her since she started. They do a lot of activities that we don’t regularly do at home and she loves it.

That said, we do live in an area of the US where covid is taken seriously and people are vaccinated. There has been an exposure through her daycare room (last week), but the center has taken very reasonable steps and it was a best case scenario built out of good practices and there was no spread within the center.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
We were really anxious sending ours back in last year, then took him back out around thanksgiving through January because the levels got so high again. After that, we basically realized that we couldn’t not send him: our lives were so miserable doing our WFH jobs and trying to keep him entertained, and we couldn’t compare to the social interaction and curriculum they had at his daycare. Now when I think about it, I do get anxious, but most of the time it doesn’t worry me.

I agree with what someone else in the thread said: it’s the calculated risk you make for your family. I like to think we are all rationed a risk budget, and if you go over your allotted risk, you’re at fault for the pandemic. We don’t do anything else, and I’m hoping that it isn’t too selfish to send our kids to school because this pandemic is going on forever and they need it and we need it. Thinking about it that way does make me loving furious at the morons in the world who won’t wear masks or get vaxxed for their freedumbs though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The school district we live in and the one south of us that my wife teaches at are going masks optional after winter break, because “that will be enough time for the kids 5+ to get vaccinated.”

Don’t care that my daughter will have her second shot in a week, we’ve already told her that she is still going to wear one.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

We enrolled our son at his sister's old Montessori daycare once she started kindergarten - she was going to be open to exposure anyway, my wife and I are both vaccinated, and we trust the daycare's protocols. It was a risk as others have said but luckily our daughter's wonderfully responsible for her age. Now if only horsefucker would let us get her the shot...

Speaking of horsefucker, per the temp orders we were supposed to have a zoom call with her on Tuesday. Farthuffer said he wasn't available and there was enough confusion on our part re the final order that we didn't push it. He did offer yesterday at 5.30, which worked out since my parents were over as we prepped for Turkeyday. She was so, *so* happy to see everyone..

And then, while cowfondler was distracted outside of the room she told us, while whispering close to the microphone, that she wished she was spending turkeyday at our house instead of her dad's. Then made us promise not to let fuckface know she said that.

Trying to focus on Turkeyday lunch atm, since both my folks and my sis' family is coming over.

devmd01 posted:

The school district we live in and the one south of us that my wife teaches at are going masks optional after winter break, because “that will be enough time for the kids 5+ to get vaccinated.”

Don’t care that my daughter will have her second shot in a week, we’ve already told her that she is still going to wear one.

That's our stance as well. At least once we square the circle of having a biodad that sees not getting the shot as a political statement give his approval.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 25, 2021

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Our daycare has been really good. We were a bit nervous but asking questions really helped alleviate things. We asked if the other parents were also vaccinated and they have been. The daycare is also very strict with making sure kids don't come in sick and aren't afraid to send your kid home if they pop a fever or whatever. Plus, the exposure to older kids has been really helpful in his language and motor skill development.

In maybe related news though, we ended up in the emergency room last night between 1 and 3am because our son spiked a fever of 104.2. They ran a bunch of tests (including catheterizing him, which was just awful) and found he has viral pneumonia. Daycare was closed this whole week, but he might have picked it up there last week. So there's that downside for sure. Luckily, he'll be fine, just needs symptom alleviation. At least we aren't traveling anywhere for Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I appreciate the perspectives on daycare everyone.

Originally we were going to wait until vaccines were available for 2+ year olds before sending the twins to daycare, but who knows when vaccines will actually be available. We've thought about how the social interaction and curriculum at daycare would probably be beneficial to them compared to what they are getting at home. It's just tough for us to finally make that decision because while it's been difficult for us at home, it's certainly not an impossible task to take care of toddlers.