Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

You have written a load of poo poo as an old-timed, indie dev with absolutely no insight into CIG's world, and you expect others to believe you? Give it a rest already - you're going to give yourself a coronary.

I like that every time CIG puts out even the tiniest sign of life, even a lovely ripoff of a literally free chat app that probably cost backers a million dollars and a year's dev time, you get your dander up and start doing little chihuahua aggression displays at Derek.

How does it feel that Frontier is literally handing CIG its rear end on an almost weekly basis? At this point it's starting to feel like you crave it. It's like you guys heard Frontier was passing out asses and you've known nothing but years of bitter rear end famine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wrecked Angle posted:

Old code...

MAX_PLAYES_PER_INSTANCE = 24

New code

MAX_PLAYES_PER_INSTANCE = 100000+

Erin Roberts' account has been located. Sorry for the doxxing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

Erin Roberts' account has been located. Sorry for the doxxing.

Speaking of docksing..

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
A new guy started in my job last week, I'm a trainer in my workplace for reachtrucks so I gotta show the new guys the ropes and the gist of the place. So I'm training this guy, he's 40 years old about 5'5" with a head the size of a cinder block, let's say he stands out. I nickname him cement head. Anyways a few days later I'm sitting in the canteen and he sits across from me and we begin chatting about stuff. I tell him I'm into PC games and the Game I'm playing right now is ED. He starts talking about starcitizen and Chris Roberts and how good it is but seeing as I have a starter package and I read here I know how terrible it is.
I asked him how much he's spent and he told me about 1000. I start slamming him with facts about the game and how terrible it is. He was really pissed off by the end of our conversation and we went back to work and that was that.
The next day I come in and I get called up to HR, the guy made a complaint against me, he said he found me rude and my training was inadequate and that he wanted to be trained by someone else haha, this is the first complaint I've ever had since 5 years of training. Sorry bro I'm the only qualified trainer. Never showed up the day after.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Kinbote posted:

A new guy started in my job last week, I'm a trainer in my workplace for reachtrucks so I gotta show the new guys the ropes and the gist of the place. So I'm training this guy, he's 40 years old about 5'5" with a head the size of a cinder block, let's say he stands out. I nickname him cement head. Anyways a few days later I'm sitting in the canteen and he sits across from me and we begin chatting about stuff. I tell him I'm into PC games and the Game I'm playing right now is ED. He starts talking about starcitizen and Chris Roberts and how good it is but seeing as I have a starter package and I read here I know how terrible it is.
I asked him how much he's spent and he told me about 1000. I start slamming him with facts about the game and how terrible it is. He was really pissed off by the end of our conversation and we went back to work and that was that.
The next day I come in and I get called up to HR, the guy made a complaint against me, he said he found me rude and my training was inadequate and that he wanted to be trained by someone else haha, this is the first complaint I've ever had since 5 years of training. Sorry bro I'm the only qualified trainer. Never showed up the day after.

Wow, that guy got fiscally dominated by star citizen by proxy! And by himself!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Lord Kinbote posted:

:gary:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

How's the little guy doin'?

Why are you so interested in his penis, MOMA?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

You have written a load of poo poo as an old-timed, indie dev with absolutely no insight into CIG's world, and you expect others to believe you? Give it a rest already - you're going to give yourself a coronary.

Back to your cave Smeagle, there's a good shill.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Here's a very sad backer story for you.

My Boss' son lost his apartment about 7 months ago. His son is a 28 year old male with a $17.50/hr factory worker job with some regular OT, so he brings in $2400/month take home. Boss and his wife said the manboy could move back in for one year to straighten his finances out, catch up on car payments, get his insurance paid, get some money in the bank. He now has 6 months before he has to move out. Boss has been working with him to get a budget set up, reasonable goals for savings by fall etc. So far Boss and his wife have paid out near $3100 to catch up insurance, stop car repossession and a couple of other things. When the manboy moved in my Boss got him set up on Mint.com and YNAB (You need a budget, awesome free budget program on Steam) with the goal of saving $400/month, totally reasonable for someone not paying room/board. Boss decides to check in his son's finances and logs into Mint.com on Wednesday. In the last 6 months our young lad has spent:

$881 on VUDU (Walmart's streaming service I guess?)
$1620 dollars with Xsolla (MWO)
$3320 with RSI.
$4100 on fast food. In 6 months. Despite his parents providing full meals.

He has exactly 0 dollars in savings currently with a $980 dollar bill for insurance coming up mid March.
I asked my boss how much his son was in for total to Star Citizen and MWO, and I thought he was going to cry.
He's resolute in kicking the boy out this fall, and his son is basically going to be homeless because he believes in "dreams".

I told my Boss his son could get a refund like our co-worker I posted about last month and fix his financial issues, so my Boss talked with him on Thursday night about that. His son got very agitated and told his dad that supporting such an amazing project that would change gaming forever was one of the only things that gave his life meaning and getting a refund would be betraying Chris Roberts.

gently caress this scam.

gently caress Chris Roberts.

gently caress every single person still working on this scam, no matter what the excuse is. They're all culpable in taking advantage of a bunch of mentally disturbed idiots.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 18, 2017

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lord Kinbote posted:

"They'll be sorry. They'll ALL be sorry," Cement Head blubbered as he wrung tears from his eyes with his fists, smearing salt and cheez-it dust down his cheeks. "When they see the finally-realized might of Chris Roberts, they'll be begging to play his game. I'm gonna buy some more ships and fund the game even more, ensuring its success." He reached for his debit card and it suddenly dawned on him; he has no money because he abandoned his job. The tears come harder now. He'd failed Chris Roberts. He failed.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Shills,

I have faithfully read every incarnation of this thread since the very beginning. I've been almost entirely a lurker, but I've been here the whole time.

I was here for the initial jubilation. I was here for the theorycrafting. I was here for the insane fleet spreadsheet and FLJK, and the first stirrings of GoonFear, and Bomber Bros. And everything after. All of it.

I will admit to skipping SOME pages, but seriously how many tens of thousands of posts about this horrible imaginary game have I read now?

To hell with comparing the development time of Star Citizen to other triple AAA games. Since this scam started, here is what has happened in my own life:

• I was living in a friend's furnished attic, because my long-term girlfriend and I were on the outs
  • We reconciled, and bought a house
  • I started a new job
  • She got a job offer, very far away, and we decided to end things for good
  • I refinanced the house
  • I met a new lady
  • She moved in
  • We got married
  • I sold the house and we moved across the continent

All of these things happened, at a minimum, months apart from each other. There's more than a year between some items on this list.

I've ended one major relationship, started another, changed my legal status, and completed three real estate transactions in the time it has taken this "game" to repeatedly fail to be released and/or be any fun whatsoever.

This stupid, stupid, stupid, dumb, no good, very bad scam has gone on too long. I never had any money in it, so I can't betray Chris Roberts by asking for a refund. I'll have to settle for betraying Sandi by no longer paying any attention to her career-relaunching gambit marketing tour de force shitshow. I'm retiring from the thread.

It's been a blast. I'll miss you all, but mostly :eonwe: and :kayak:

Also, y'all were way too hard on Fuzzknot. Fuckin' creepy goons.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DigitalMocking posted:

My Boss' son lost his apartment about 7 months ago. His son is a 28 year old male with a $17.50/hr factory worker job with some regular OT, so he brings in $2400/month take home. Boss and his wife said the manboy could move back in for one year to straighten his finances out, catch up on car payments, get his insurance paid, get some money in the bank. He now has 6 months before he has to move out. Boss has been working with him to get a budget set up, reasonable goals for savings by fall etc. So far Boss and his wife have paid out near $3100 to catch up insurance, stop car repossession and a couple of other things. When the manboy moved in my Boss got him set up on Mint.com and YNAB (You need a budget, awesome free budget program on Steam) with the goal of saving $400/month, totally reasonable for someone not paying room/board. Boss decides to check in his son's finances and logs into Mint.com on Wednesday. In the last 6 months our young lad has spent:

$3320 with RSI.

He has exactly 0 dollars in savings currently with a $980 dollar bill for insurance coming up mid March.
I asked my boss how much his son was in for total to Star Citizen and MWO, and I thought he was going to cry.
He's resolute in kicking the boy out this fall, and his son is basically going to be homeless because he believes in "dreams".

I told my Boss his son could get a refund like our co-worker I posted about last month and fix his financial issues, so my Boss talked with him on Thursday night about that. His son got very agitated and told his dad that supporting such an amazing project that would change gaming forever was one of the only things that gave his life meaning and getting a refund would be betraying Chris Roberts.

gently caress this scam.

gently caress every single person still working on this scam, no matter what the excuse is. They're all culpable in taking advantage of a bunch of mentally disturbed idiots.

If that guy has dropped $3,320 in the past six months imagine how much he's dropped in the past.

Reading that story, I was wondering why he lost his apartment and couldn't pay his car bill or insurance with $2400 take home. I was confused why his family was having to pay off back debt that had been piling up on the guy.

So if hes been a whale for years he's probably one of the five figure guys and the $3,320 was just some anniversary sale purchases to top off a completionist package or something.

mdxi posted:

She was excited to be posting here and some people have zero tolerance for ~My Boyfriend~ posting. Then again she was probated by the lovely admins we are stuck with now back when they were mods.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 18, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mdxi posted:

Maybe if we're creepy towards Toast...

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

mdxi posted:

I have faithfully read every incarnation of this thread since the very beginning. I've been almost entirely a lurker, but I've been here the whole time.

I was here for the initial jubilation. I was here for the theorycrafting. I was here for the insane fleet spreadsheet and FLJK, and the first stirrings of GoonFear, and Bomber Bros. And everything after. All of it.

I will admit to skipping SOME pages, but seriously how many tens of thousands of posts about this horrible imaginary game have I read now?

To hell with comparing the development time of Star Citizen to other triple AAA games. Since this scam started, here is what has happened in my own life:

• I was living in a friend's furnished attic, because my long-term girlfriend and I were on the outs
  • I started a new job
  • I refinanced the house
  • I met a new lady
  • She moved in
  • We got married

All of these things happened, at a minimum, months apart from each other. There's more than a year between some items on this list.

I've ended one major relationship, started another, changed my legal status, and completed three real estate transactions in the time it has taken this "game" to repeatedly fail to be released and/or be any fun whatsoever.

This stupid, stupid, stupid, dumb, no good, very bad scam has gone on too long. I never had any money in it, so I can't betray Chris Roberts by asking for a refund. I'll have to settle for betraying Sandi by no longer paying any attention to her career-relaunching gambit marketing tour de force shitshow. I'm retiring from the thread.

o8 commando, good post, and congrats on your marriage and home, it is a good feeling. Also, thanks for the inspiration for the fetlife thread.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

DigitalMocking posted:

$3320 with RSI.

gently caress this scam.

God drat...I wish I didn't believe this story. Twenty-eight years old and so hosed. This is really tragic. I get laughing at the guy and at what an rear end in a top hat he is, but it's truly sad.

My homie from the old neighborhood is a personal trainer in Austin. He has never been able to help a video game junkie. He was recently training a young man in his early twenties that tipped the scale >300#. The kid had money, lived in filth, and played Diablo 3 all day everyday. Guy was just loving stuck in that poo poo and he quit part way through the second session. Back when I was younger I would have laughed at that fat gently caress even as he died. These days it just breaks my heart to see anyone living in a tiny world and wasting his or her youth.

I'm in the woods right now and a bunch of coyotes are yipping and yapping like hyenas. I wish fat boy was here, I could maybe show him a small vertical slice of how grand, fun, and full of adventure his own backyard is.

For the boss's son, I wish I could somehow compel the trust and brotherly love that comes from long friendship and help him avert the dooms he's heading towards. gently caress Star Citizen, that kid is setting up for some real sorrow.

I just don't get how a game, or even dreams of a game, can get such hold of anyone. I'm legitimately wondering from a palace of ignorance. Just focusing on the boss's son, what could help him? Is it because of narcissism and the unfulfilled desire for power? Is it escapism because his life isn't cool as he wishes? Is he a devotee truly believing that if he mortified himself he will ascend to a better existence like Heaven's Gate cult? Anybody here wise with years and travel or education and experience in counseling or psychotherapy? WTF??

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

mdxi posted:

• I started a new job
  • I refinanced the house
  • I met a new lady
  • She moved in
  • We got married

You're not getting a gold watch.

We'll play you out with a serenade of paaarps, though.

PAAARP

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

Hey.....MoMA.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqiYkQWOI0

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

First glance I thought you posted a Manowar song...I got excite

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DigitalMocking posted:

$3320 with RSI.

this is hosed. i wonder if there was some way of collating stories like this? it'd make one hell of an article.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

this is hosed. i wonder if there was some way of collating stories like this? it'd make one hell of an article.

the vast majority of these stories aren't known right now due to spouses not realizing that college funds and 401ks have been plowed into Chris Roberts movie dreams because impressionable, unhappy people have equated giving this fat liar money with being happy someday.

I speculate there are a ton of unemployed children living with their aging parents on some form of disability and the parents provide food/housing/internet and don't actually know that their childs entire money supply goes into something called "Star Citizen."

It's probably like Bit Coin where inheritances that were supposed to go to young children were instead spent on the dreams of the person in charge of the trust.

Alot of those stories won't even come out until Star Citizen fails and all of a sudden someone finds out their kids aren't going to college or they are 48 and now have no retirement.

When we talk about the possible unfortunate suicides coming from this scam that 28 year old factory worker is a candidate. He has already lost his apartment and is deeply in debt while preaching the dream. He is about to be homeless and this is with the game supposedly coming out. This guy has wasted tens of thousands of dollars and is going to end up with literally nothing at all in life when Star Citizen goes under.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 18, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

I'm guessing Heywood was posted long, long ago--but if not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHptn_3RyYE&t=26s

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Yea but all these stories pay ManofManyAliases/Toast for posting here, so that's worth it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

XK posted:

You're not getting a gold watch.

We'll play you out with a serenade of paaarps, though.

PAAARP

PAAARP speed my friend, PAAARP speed.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

reminds me of lords of acid kinda.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lord Kinbote posted:

I hope you die alone and unloved

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Milky Moor posted:

only the people who have tried interventions and stumbled across it are speaking out. We most likely wont know the true extent until the collapse.

we can try and spread the word far but if people dont follow the industry or games it will be very hard for parents/lovers/spouses etc to see it.

Rock bottom is going to be bad, very bad I feel. Especially considering the fragility of the people involved.

Just look at the anecdotal story above! A guy couldnt handle discussion or even criticism about SC a freaking game. He left an
actual paying job. Disagreement and discussion/debate is good and needed. If you are so broken you have to remove yourself from
the situation because someone said bad things IRL - the fallout aint going to be pretty.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 18, 2017

necroid
May 14, 2009

ok I've tried to read this thread less and less because recently it's been filled with autistic creeps indistinguishable from the shitizens, but people like this tarkaroshe guy never cease to amaze me and I still can't wrap my head around them

he has got to be paid by CIG because I can't think of any other explanation for his reasoning

I like how he keeps shifting the attention from CIG not doing the things that they promised they'd do in order to either 1) blame derek smart and his opinions or 2) point out how someone else hasn't done those things 200% so CIG can't be held accountable anyway

he's like one of those eels that completely cover themselves in mucus/slime in order to slip away whenever something attempts to grab them

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

mdxi posted:

:same:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

trucutru posted:

I've been trying my best but it doesn't work. :negative:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

Rock bottom is going to be bad, very bad I feel. Especially considering the fragility of the people involved.

This whole thing has been hilarious for years but it's right to be concerned about what's going to happen when CIG finally comes clean with how bad things are. I expect dozens of people aren't going to be able to handle the fact that they've let themselves be deceived for years and wasted thousands they couldn't afford on dreams.

We won't hear anywhere near all the stories about the resulting fallout, but there's already been more than enough lives ruined by Star Citizen.

I always remember when some new, entirely predictable, disaster strikes bitcoin they put a suicide prevention post at the top of r/bitcoin and we should prepare ourselves to do the same and choose our words carefully for a while, it's going to get very nasty.

AP fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 18, 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I see a lot of mentions of Auditors in there. Might they be mainly Germans and is Karl one of them?

Wiz posted:

Too busy adding in the ability to genemod species to taste better and then nerve stapling them so they don't mind being eaten.

I'll put it in the backlog right after the space toilets.

Thanks to you and your team for making a game that is cool and good, even if I have spent more time on it than I should o7

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necroid posted:

ok I've tried to read this thread less and less because recently it's been filled with autistic creeps indistinguishable from the shitizens, but people like this tarkaroshe guy never cease to amaze me and I still can't wrap my head around them

he has got to be paid by CIG because I can't think of any other explanation for his reasoning

I like how he keeps shifting the attention from CIG not doing the things that they promised they'd do in order to either 1) blame derek smart and his opinions or 2) point out how someone else hasn't done those things 200% so CIG can't be held accountable anyway

he's like one of those eels that completely cover themselves in mucus/slime in order to slip away whenever something attempts to grab them

explaining Tarkaroshe is as simple as asking why someone becomes an adamant defender of anything. A political party, a religion, a sports team or a console company.

He's a simple minded pitbull with his teeth sunk into an ideology and all he can do is be smug in his own idiocy that will never end, even if CIG does. He will be the guy on the "Star Citizen Continues" forums body checking newbies out if he feels they are getting too mouthy while preaching to everyone.

But there is no way to reason or logic what makes that guy tick, since pure animal instinct is what keeps him going. Deep down he knows he is 100% correct so all arguments, all facts, all discussions and all critics are viewed through the filter of him explaining why he is right to you and you either agree he is right or you are wrong.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lord Kinbote posted:

Wow that's pretty awesome. They think employers need to provide Star Citizen safe spaces?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DigitalMocking posted:

$3320 with RSI.

gently caress this scam.

$3320 :retrogames:

:eyepop: and that's just what he's spent in the last 6 months? Wonder what the grand total is

I've got a nasty feeling you just doxxed Wesha.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Richie Stardust posted:

I just don't get how a game, or even dreams of a game, can get such hold of anyone. I'm legitimately wondering from a palace of ignorance. g

I guess the most "reasonable" answer is that this scam (or any F2P game 1.6k in 6 months into MWO - holy poo poo) is more fun to them. Than any other thing they can do in their lives. Perhaps combined with an inability to plan long term or being able to save now for payoff later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A Big Mac meal deal in the US is 6$

$4100 = 683.3333333 Big Macs

6 Months = ~180 Days

This man has eaten 3.7962962 Big Macs per day.

Or just 4100/180 = 22.78 dollars per day on food, while already being fed.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 18, 2017

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A Big Mac meal deal in the US is 6$

$4100 = 683.3333333 Big Macs

6 Months = ~180 Days

This man has eaten 3.7962962 Big Macs per day.

So he's going to die in weeks, not months... :smith:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Raskolnikov posted:

I wonder if he is one of the names we know and love?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Open development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcWhUi3_t98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Raskolnikov posted:

Yeah, but think of all the blubber.