Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reminder that the Gen Z kids love the prequels because that's what they grew up with, think the new sequels are the crap movies that lost the way, and look at the original trilogy the same way they do Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon.

We are no longer the tastemakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah but theyre wrong!!!!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Star wars came out 12 years before I was even born and I'm no spring chicken. I'm so tired of all this old media. Please make something new I'm begging you :qq:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

the new sequels are the crap movies that lost the way

I mean,

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sagebrush posted:

Reminder that the Gen Z kids love the prequels because that's what they grew up with, think the new sequels are the crap movies that lost the way, and look at the original trilogy the same way they do Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon.

whatever your opinions on the execution of the prequels at least there is a clear thematic and technical unity between the films that makes them feel like part of the same story, and within the individual chapters they have a clear narrative voice that makes them coherent, if poorly executed. they also have a kind of ineffable charm at times, some iconic imagery, Phantom Menace has a great soundtrack, and poo poo like “my young padawan” pretty quickly became part of general pop culture slang

I don’t think any of that can be said about the sequels

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm sure it exists but i probably wouldn't mind an edit of the prequels down to one feature length film, i think?

indigi posted:

I don’t think any of that can be said about the sequels

i really liked the audio in some parts of the sequels, and enjoyed the hypercompressed slightly vocoded effect on kylo ren's mask voice.

also that part in one of the films where they had to put warning signs up saying AT A CERTAIN POINT IN THIS FILM, THE AUDIO CUTS AND THE SCREEN GOES BLACK. THIS IS NOT A TECHNICAL MALFUNCTION. PLEASE DO NOT GET UP AND LEAVE is pretty funny

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Edit all the movies into 1 90 minute supercut

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The big musical themes from each of the three prequels (Duel of the Fates, the Across The Stars love theme, and the final battle music from №3) are all excellent. I can't remember a single piece of music from the three sequels.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sagebrush posted:

Literally nobody loves the prequels where on earth did you get that idea?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk, duel of the fates is probably the high point of the three and I’m not sure you can put that forty minutes and then have an hour and a half of movie left

I think a large scale rewrite that puts Qui Gonn’s death somewhere in Revenge of the Sith would work narratively but I’m not sure you can cut that story together with the existing films

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

you are out of touch if you honestly believe this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

When was the last time you talked to someone under the age of 25?

Like I said, we are not the tastemakers anymore. There is a new generation currently defining pop culture. They were 5 to 10 years old when the prequels came out, the exact target market, so they have fond memories of those movies.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 6, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sagebrush posted:

When was the last time you talked to someone under the age of 25

Today

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PokeJoe posted:

I'm no spring chicken.
are too it's spring and you're a chicken

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
This is some genx version of 'all millenials love avacado toast' projection I've never heard anybody under the age of 30 say they love the prequels and I know some insane star wars fans lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rude :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, go and talk to some more. They're out there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

This is some genx version of 'all millenials love avacado toast' projection

ok boomer

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The sequels are a great example of Disneys stratgey backfiring since the first one was a very generic story with a million different threads that could be ignored or pulled on and then they handed it to someone who went "ok cool, so I can do whatever I want?" and the proceeded to burn down all the storylines he wasn't using

then they canned treverrow and his mostly completed plot and got carrie fischer readdicted to coke and we ended up with "somehow, the emperor is alive again"

and now dave filoni is in charge and boy does he ever love the prequels

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

This is some genx version of 'all millenials love avacado toast' projection I've never heard anybody under the age of 30 say they love the prequels and I know some insane star wars fans lmao

The insane Star Wars fans are not the ones who like the prequels. I'm talking about the regular people who saw them in theaters a couple of times, got the Star Wars Lego sets in 2001 when they were seven, dressed up as Darth Maul for Halloween, and fondly remember that part of their childhood.

Insane Star Wars fans don't like anything.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

PokeJoe posted:

Star wars came out 12 years before I was even born and I'm no spring chicken. I'm so tired of all this old media. Please make something new I'm begging you :qq:

always relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqPmsBYieA

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I love the prequels because I hate sand and they introduces my fantasy boyfriend Jar Jar Binks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Insane Star Wars fans don't like anything.

this is a great point. their favorite movies are the second half of ANH and Empire

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

they introduces

this mf said they introduces

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

indigi posted:

this mf said they introduces

this mom humper can't type worth poo poo and she don't give a poo poo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sagebrush posted:

Well, go and talk to some more. They're out there.

:tinfoil:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Look I think we can all agree Ewan McGregors best work was Long Way Round

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the prequels are not good films, but most of the problems in them are things that kids either won't notice or won't care about

wooden acting: expected on kid's shows
clumsy love story with zero chemistry between the leads: standard on (slightly older) kid's shows
anakin's hamfistededly rapid turn to evil: probably noticed by older kids but not a big deal
entire plots being obvious setups for big action sequences: zoom, woosh, pow
kinda racist minor characters: going over their heads unless an adult makes a stink about it
senate politics: boring, but iirc mostly told in a lot of short cuts, not interminable scenes
jedi council scenes: genuinely interminable and boring
midochlorians: only matter to people who are thinking way too much
plot holes: come on now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rjmccall posted:

kinda racist minor characters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's racist about the cheating garbage dealer slave owner with a big nose and scraggly beard and a little hat who is immune to the good guys' spiritual powers because of his race?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'll take a prequel over any of the new ones (except maybe rian johnson's) any day

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
which landed with a bigger thud: game of thrones season 8 or the rise of skywalker?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

one underrated symptom of how lovely movies have become is the titles. "the empire strikes back" is great, very memorable. even "attack of the clones" has a cheesy charm. i know that one of the new ones is called "the rise of skywalker" but couldn't tell you which one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the lucas titles were all inspired by old bombastic pulp titles. the disney ones don't really have that going for them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ngl "The Rise of Skywalker" is a pretty cool name. I'll give them that at least.

I don't really follow a star war but by the sounds of it the problem is as follows: Disney bought the IP rights to this vast and amazing universe that captures peoples' imaginations and takes them far away from the lovely real world into a cool medieval sci fi fantasy hybrid landscape and ... then they proceeded to narrow all of their stories down to the same 20 people who might as well all live on the same street as each other. Everything has to have a Skywalker in it, everything has to have Darth Vader or equivalent in it.

It's like Notch buying that gigantic party house in LA and then proceeding to sit in the basement in his underwear all alone fuming about how much he hates women.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah I read somewhere (probably itt) that it's actually a condition of the sale enforced by lucas that everything still has to be about the skywalker family

literally the "everyone should be saying where's poochie" bit from the simpsons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

yeah I read somewhere (probably itt) that it's actually a condition of the sale enforced by lucas that everything still has to be about the skywalker family

literally the "everyone should be saying where's poochie" bit from the simpsons

Rogue One, Solo, Mando, and Boba Fett make that seem like an urban legend

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

i think anh is clunky and the pacing is off (though i can forgive it)
iirc the first act of anh is clunky (esp anything with jawas) but acts 2+3 are actually really well paced. like i was shocked on rewatch ~5 years ago how well it moves. but gently caress jawas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kenny Logins posted:

iirc the first act of anh is clunky (esp anything with jawas) but acts 2+3 are actually really well paced. like i was shocked on rewatch ~5 years ago how well it moves. but gently caress jawas
the first third of anh plays like a revisionist western* (long slow tracking shots across empty desert, very little dialogue for stretches) of the sort that came out of the american new wave late 60s-early70s era, and then the movie starts picking up momentum and it by the end it has become a thrilling flash-gordon-meets-dambusters thing

star wars (along with jaws and close encounters) marked the end of the american new wave era and the rise of the blockbuster, and im always amused at how that shift is present in the structure of the movie itself

* probably more spaghetti western than revisionist western, now that i think about it

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FMguru posted:

the first third of anh plays like a revisionist western (long slow tracking shots across empty desert, very little dialogue for stretches) of the sort that came out of the american new wave late 60s-early70s era
well put