Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Russian posted:

Gravity will be in alpha for the next 4 years at least. It's not a very important aspect to prioritize at the moment, given that they need to model all the weapons and ships first.

This is a SPACE game. There's no gravity in space. Checkmate, goon. :smug:

tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

On topic, did we ever get any resolution of the rumour that gravity in Star Citizen is restricted to on plane when not in a ship? IE that there's a universal gravitational North between all map locations that would basically preclude spherical planets?

It depends on the gravity tubes.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Rad Russian posted:

Shitizens are giving millions a month to a dev team that can't figure out how to do incremental patching to their game. After trying to implement it for 4 years, and even after hiring a special developer to work on their patcher exclusively. Let that sink in.

It sank in a long time ago.
It's been quietly decomposing on the bottom.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I wonder what Ben's thanksgiving dinner looks like.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...campaign=buffer

quote:

11. For players worried the scope expansion will dilute the experience: “The key for us has been ensuring that the content is rich and up to BioWare quality standards,” Walters says. “Believe it or not, as massive as this is, we’ve actually continued to restrain the scope as much as possible so we can bring quality to each of these areas and make each one memorable. That’s a term I use a lot – I want these places to be memorable. I don’t want it to be like, the white planet, the blue planet – I want to remember the names of the locations and the characters I meet.”

Has Bioware learnt nothing from Star Citizen?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

It's such a shame Rik ran over his own head. He was a treasure.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Citizens where amazed that CIG managed to develop a 4v4 FPS game in the cryengine. It's just one of the many things previously thought completely impossible, but is now reality thanks to Chris Vision!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

orcinus posted:

So does he.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Very much this :allears:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

orcinus posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kakarot posted:

turns out that marshmallow yam guy wasnt crazy

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/26482/candied-yams/
People don't stop being crazy simply because they're in an asylum.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Dull and boring show is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcWkqliP6A

Someone watch it please, I don't wanna

Procedural rocks

http://i.imgur.com/vH1DDyj.gifv

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 25, 2016

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

orcinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxRnenQYG7I

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Breetai posted:

On topic, did we ever get any resolution of the rumour that gravity in Star Citizen is restricted to on plane when not in a ship? IE that there's a universal gravitational North between all map locations that would basically preclude spherical planets?

Earth and the other planets of the solar system are not true spheres, but rather oblate spheroids. Planets tend to flatten at the poles- Saturn being the most extreme example. Does Chris Roberts decry non-perfectly spherical planets as inauthentic and immersion-breaking? In your heart you know the answer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It looks like he's gliding over the terrain.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Earth and the other planets of the solar system are not true spheres, but rather oblate spheroids. Planets tend to flatten at the poles- Saturn being the most extreme example.

Ben is slowly getting there.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

:laffo: Are the stones actually displacement / parallax maps?
Look at his feet. They don't even register. It's like he's walking over a flat plane.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I like how this is just a patch of rock assets on that same planet editor file they have been using.

I also like how rocks weirdly float in to the frame when he crouches, meaning they can't even get the pre-recorded editor footage looking nice.

but what is best is that the Citcon demo had way more impressive biomes and land features, yet they aren't showing any of that for some reason. Hmmmmm.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wowit'sfuckingnothing.jpg

Congrats CIG, you've managed to draw rocks on what is obviously a flat loving plane.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Sabreseven posted:

This is my favorite word in the English language when proceeded by a "You", nothing else quite conveys it's meaning with such direct severity and no other word can cause such grief amongst members of polite society.

Add it to any sentance to immediately gain the complete and undivided attention of all cunts who are within earshot. :)

I see you don't live in Australia

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

turns out that marshmallow yam guy wasnt crazy

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/26482/candied-yams/

Who the gently caress adds sugar and butter to that D:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pilz posted:

Who the gently caress adds sugar and butter to that D:

Does nobody eat sweet potatoes around here? Butter and brown sugar are like standard...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcinus posted:

Look at his feet. They don't even register. It's like he's walking over a flat plane.

No. You want to simplify geometry because collision detection would be a nightmare. You can see it in the citcon/gamescom demos with vehicles acting like the alien hover bikes from halo. You don't want to have to deal with the problem of vehicles or people getting snagged on billions of small sharp bits of geometry which you have limited control over how it is placed. Making it essentially a smoothed surface with the small cosmetic details not being actual geometry is one way to solve the problem. It just looks like poo poo in a game that is all about the fidelity.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CIG has taken 5 years to be able to make MWO maps. GG everybody, better shut this poo poo down.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

LOOK A THIS poo poo.

Notice the conveniently timed crouch to hide the fact there is no stone, just a displacement map and a commando walking across a flat plane.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Does nobody eat sweet potatoes around here? Butter and brown sugar are like standard...

Oh, no, brown sugar on sweet potatoes is great, but theyve taken the sweet potatoes and marshmallows base and added MORE sugar.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

No. You want to simplify geometry because collision detection would be a nightmare. You can see it in the citcon/gamescom demos with vehicles acting like the alien hover bikes from halo. You don't want to have to deal with the problem of vehicles or people getting snagged on billions of small sharp bits of geometry which you have limited control over how it is placed. Making it essentially a smoothed surface with the small cosmetic details not being actual geometry is one way to solve the problem. It just looks like poo poo in a game that is all about the fidelity.

Track the rock as it leaves the frame.
It's FLAT. There is no geometry.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

Doesn't it also make them not very useful as cover?

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

This is my favorite word in the English language when proceeded by a "You", nothing else quite conveys it's meaning with such direct severity and no other word can cause such grief amongst members of polite society.

Add it to any sentance to immediately gain the complete and undivided attention of all cunts who are within earshot. :)

https://youtu.be/d-SUhJT3g1c

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ben: Yes, Prowler Can Land/Stick to Capital Ships; Time to get Paranoid Cap Ship Owners ;-)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ep223/ben_yes_prowler_can_landstick_to_capital_ships/

167 different views on how the prowler is definitely going to work.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcinus posted:

Track the rock as it leaves the frame.
It's FLAT. There is no geometry.

that post explains why there is no geometry. yes, it is flat.

Pilz posted:

Doesn't it also make them not very useful as cover?

It is purely cosmetic and serves no gameplay purpose. I would be shocked if they don't plop down big boulders that will work as cover, but they will be more sparsely spaced than the little rocks. That way you can dodge them in a vehicle and and not get trapped in the geometry in unforeseen ways.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Those are some nice rocks

For a clown

Also didn't they spend a ridiculous amount of time and money to get the animations to transition nicely , how come everytime he switches from standing to crouching or walking it's so jarring and just poo poo looking ?

gently caress if they could at least get 1 thing polished and looking completely awesome it would almost be worth it , but every single little thing they do has a glaringly obvious problem

Ship exteriors - flying apart at 5000mph

Ship interiors - random jittery bits and shadows for no reason

Player characters - spawn of Satan

Guns - nerf toys

Explosions - look cool the first time until you look at it closely

gently caress even their ship ads have incompetence throughout

OK I'm done :pgabz:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

that post explains why there is no geometry. yes, it is flat.

So you do realize that this will look like poo poo from 1st person, because the lack of parallax will make them look quite obviously like a flat texture, right?
And that this is not how things are normally done?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So again we can reference Arma

It has ground clutter , and anything you can see is a physical object. So if it's a ankle high rock you can step onto it , or a bigger rock lie down behind for cover

How on earth do they ever expect to have a supposed tactical fps game where stuff like rocks are just textures painted flat onto the ground

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong, it's fine to use textures for fine rubble, gravel, tiny clutter, poo poo like that.
But to make a boulder that's basically the size of the player's torso *a texture* instead of simple geometry, that's just plain dumb.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcinus posted:

So you do realize that this will look like poo poo from 1st person, because the lack of parallax will make them look quite obviously like a flat texture, right?
And that this is not how things are normally done?

sure, it just seems like a shortcut they are taking. Citizens will scream 'alpha' and 'first iteration', and the developers will move on to the next thing and not put in additional work to make it look right. You can't forget that the procedural planets was something ginned up as a side project so it will be full of dumb compromises to get it working in a month.

orcinus posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to use textures for fine rubble, gravel, tiny clutter, poo poo like that.
But to make a boulder that's basically the size of the player's torso *a texture* instead of simple geometry, that's just plain dumb.

CIG is treating rocks of that size as tiny clutter though so :shrug:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

sure, it just seems like a shortcut they are taking. Citizens will scream 'alpha' and 'first iteration', and the developers will move on to the next thing and not put in additional work to make it look right. You can't forget that the procedural planets was something ginned up as a side project so it will be full of dumb compromises to get it working in a month.

Well excuuuuuse me for being continuously astonished by the level of amateurishness of CIG's demos.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tokamak posted:

the rocks like that on elite's planets are objects, the rover has to crawl over them and at speed they can spin you out or worse

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's the same as everything else they do , because they charge possibly put in all the features Crobberts promised

So we have flat rock textures for ground clutter

Next will be 2d foliage sprites to check off the plant life box

Really at this rate they could have a fully formed planet by the end of the year , but it would look something like something from 1992

That's from shores of hazeron , a game similar in scope to SC but they went the route of getting the game play down first , and letting the graphics take a back seat.

In CIGs case right now they have neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lets all laugh at Derek (not so)Smart ep 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgRglawUZSE

• Locked thread