Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Aaaahahahaha

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, with regards to my earlier post, Daggerfall would have been an entirely different game if you only had to deal with laughterfish.

I'd like to see what it'd be like with Sperggans and Dadra lords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

I thought someone here mentioned that the bug is that the difficulty levels are reversed (easy is hard, hard is easy). Has this been fixed?

Damage is upped on easy difficulties because the scaling multiplies thanks to a bug. This is reversed the higher you go.

Either way, you're gonna get boned pretty hard on Blood.

This is great!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, Lost Sauls, Attorney at Law is almost as tongue twisty as Bob Loblaw's Law Blog, or the low-blow law bomb Bob Loblaw dropped once.

:haw:

Anyway, hey, goon who did the brackets for the Doom level voting contest, would you be willing and able to maybe whip up another series of brackets with regards to FPS protagonists/player-characters? I think many goons reading this would be all over it. I know it's a bit GameFAQ-y, but I still think it would go over well.

We'd first need a list of all characters, as well as a date cut-off (for example, all games must have been released between Jan 1st 1990 and Dec 31st, 2000). And the vote would be a "who would win" sort of thing, but maybe only take into consideration the first 3-4 weapon slots, otherwise Doomguy automatically wins with the BFG, I think.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Joanna Dark would need to be dq'ed then because the farsight is that good.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I haven't looked too much, but is there an easy way to disable vertical mouse look in PrBoom+ without making the mouse move me? I find the vertical mouselook disorienting, but disabling mouselook makes vertical movements of the mouse move doomguy, and if I do it by accident while turning it throws off my movement.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's literally the default behaviour in PRboom+. If you are actually using GLBoom+, then go to Options>General, page 3, "Max View Pitch" and set it to 0. Remember to set it back to 90 if you start playing something that had mouse look like Hexen.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Apparently I was using GlBoom and not realizing it. Thanks for the help

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Ok, this is fair.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Farsight is godly until a DarkSim sprints up to you at 90mph and magazine discharges a pair of Cyclones into your face.

For those situations, you need a Laptop Gun. Number two on the "No Steve goddamn it don't turn those weapons on" party list.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wild T posted:

Farsight is godly until a DarkSim sprints up to you at 90mph and magazine discharges a pair of Cyclones into your face.

For those situations, you need a Laptop Gun. Number two on the "No Steve goddamn it don't turn those weapons on" party list.

Yeah, Laptop gun, Farsight, and maybe a few grenades or mines. You own the game, at that point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
To be fair, DarkSims were explicitly designed to cheat their three-poly asses off - doubled run speed, perfect accuracy, spawning with a shield, teleporting around the map when nobody's looking...

I like how Perfect Dark's bots had cool little personality quirks...

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I remember there was a grinding tactic (for your profile level) where you grabbed a Farsight, and hid behind a door (blocking it with you body) and just shot the team of darksims that tried to get in.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Perfect Dark was my ultimate gently caress-with-your-buddies-while-inebriated game. Set up a match, say the song on the stereo sucked and while they're loving around figuring out which Ozzie song to put on (it was always Killer of Giants) switch the teams up based on who you want to pummel and add a ton of Pacifist Sims. Enjoy grabbing all the cool guns while the sims run up and Bruce Lee your drunk rear end leaving you unarmed and blind as gently caress.

To be fair I would be just as drunk and it would happen to me as often as I'd be able to trick my buddies into falling for it. That's my ultimate nostalgia. I grew up on Wolfenstein and Doom, but teenage drunken Perfect Dark is what memories are made of. Well, Perfect Dark, Bomberman 64, Super Smash Bros and a lot of cheap beer.

Come to think of it, the area-based map control of Bomberman would be kind of cool in an FPS game with a few bare-bones hitscan weapons as self defense (think dual Enforcers, not ideal but capable). Making a grid-based map enjoyable in FPS is another story, though.

Yeah, Laptop gun, Farsight, and maybe a few grenades or mines. You own the game, at that point.

N-Bombs. The ultimate 'gently caress you' in nonlethal weapon design.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 18, 2015

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Wild T posted:

N-Bombs. The ultimate 'gently caress you' in nonlethal weapon design.
Totally lethal to the framerate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dukka posted:

Totally lethal to the framerate.

Play the definitive version of PD64, which is on XBLA; it fixed the two things that I wanted from the original, which was a better framerate and online/LAN play.

Doesn't hurt that you're not using that godawful N64 controller. Kudos to Nintendo for inventing the thumbstick, but holy poo poo, was their version the worst.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Play the definitive version of PD64, which is on XBLA; it fixed the two things that I wanted from the original, which was a better framerate and online/LAN play.

Doesn't hurt that you're not using that godawful N64 controller. Kudos to Nintendo for inventing the thumbstick, but holy poo poo, was their version the worst.
A lot of my friends were completely incapable of understanding how to operate the C-Pad, shockingly enough playing an FPS with essentially only half the movement/aiming functionally is hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:allears: glorious

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

PD64 is interesting because it lays bare how much padding the devs pulled to make the game playable with the N64 controller. The increased speed and accuracy of two analogue sticks lets you absolutely ruin most enemies while they're in the middle of slooooowly drawing their weapon and pointing it at you. Except when they do that Rambo-style walking forward firing endlessly from the hip animation, that one is still brutal.

Edit: I just finished 2013 Shadow Warrior, and thought it was a solid attempt at bringing back some old-school FPS gameplay with modern trappings. It's definitely more Serious Sam than Doom, but that's not a bad thing. Some random thoughts:

I loved how ammo management felt. Searching for a few moments between fights would yield enough ammo that all of your options were open going into a fight. Once the fights kicked off there usually wasn't time to be opening boxes so it left it on the tactical level - you'd need to make sure your shots counted right now, but you never felt like you couldn't reach for your rocket launcher without stiffing yourself in the next battle. The setpiece nature of the battles was very nice combined with the rating system, and once I got the hang of the combat the difficulty wasn't so much in surviving so much as maximizing the rewards from the fight.

I'm not sure if it was patched or not (I was playing the PS4 version), but despite all the complaints I'd heard the firearms felt pretty good to me. The sword was a standout of course, but the shotgun felt great and the rocket launcher was one of the best I've used in a recent FPS. About the only weapon I never used was the flamethrower, since between the sword and shotgun I had options that killed up close so well that it felt unnecessary. At first I hated the revolver but after I learned to aim down the sights and let the auto-aim swing it to the demons' heads (a console constraint, of course) it became my go-to for midrange combat against cannon fodder.

The enemy roster was just diverse enough to not get bored with the various enemies, and a lot had nice quirks that changed how you approach a battle. Lots of those winged flying guys? Better bust out a revolver or PDW. Oh, but now there's a few shield baddies tossing fireballs at you that you need to shotgun pronto. The huge, multi-tiered melee in Zilla's courtyard was outstanding for how it kept adding another layer to the fight until you're facing three or four high level threats simultaneously while trying to figure out what you need to kill right now versus what you need to keep dodging while laying down hurt. My only gripe are the green kamikaze guys who roll fireballs at you, they were the worst kind of annoying after a while.

gently caress the entire gas mask sequence. Yeah, Wild Hog, put a gas mask overlay around 20% of my screen, add in billowing green clouds of gas, turn the lights out so I can't see poo poo then drop me in a giant facility and make me find a 2" switch. That sounds like fun. Honestly the level design wasn't terrible for the most part, and looked gorgeous. But there were plenty of times where I'd be wandering around aimlessly through levels looking for that one highlighted-gold switch I needed to pull to proceed to the next area. That and a few levels had multiple paths, one of which would lead to optional areas full of pickups and another to a door closing behind you permanently with no way to distinguish between the two until you've locked yourself out of the goodies. On the positive side, I liked how there were lots of environmental explosives to take advantage of (why for gently caress's sake do arcade machines go off like tactical nuclear weapons, though?).

The reinvention of Lo Wang from ultraracist caricature to... Well, a huge dork with a sword, was really well done and they managed to have a character who stayed funny while also coming off as a badass. I was prepared to hate the buddy setup of Lo Wang and Hoji, but I'll be damned if their constant bickering, cheesey one liners and sniping at each other didn't grow on me. Lo Wang calling Hoji ugly and Hoji simply responding with "...Bitch." actually made me pause the game because I was laughing so hard. The whole mystical side-story of the gods' realm was confusing at first but by the end it tied together fairly well, and I really enjoyed the boss battles. I had just finished playing the first two Dark Souls games and the bosses reminded me a lot of a DS boss in first person - strategically dodging and healing while waiting for an opening to hammer on them. Overall it did feel like there was a ton of unavoidable damage, especially in the boss fights, but the healing and shield powers mitigated it to a degree that it just became another thing to manage rather than feeling like a "this is bullshit!" mechanic.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 19, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm downloading it now (curse you, painfully slow internet!), but I just found out that NeoDoom - entertaining enough, as wonky as it was - got a sequel, just recently released? It weighs in at 283mb and called Final NeoDoom. GZDoom only, I believe.

Edit: This doesn't seem half bad. Some weird concepts in there (don't get too close to the fast zombiemen - they'll take your pistol and you'll have to punch them to get it back) but it seems solid enough otherwise from these first couple of areas.

Also, I seem to be able to freely travel between the first two maps. Is it one giant hub, I wonder?

Edit 2: Yep, released just a couple weeks back, weird! Also, the creator launched a new site where you can get the original Neodoom: Gold Edition.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 19, 2015

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

I'm downloading it now (curse you, painfully slow internet!), but I just found out that NeoDoom - entertaining enough, as wonky as it was - got a sequel, just recently released? It weighs in at 283mb and called Final NeoDoom. GZDoom only, I believe.
Yeah I saw this the other day, I did enjoy NeoDoom even for all of it's faults. So far the first few maps don't feel that great but NeoDoom didn't really pick up until the city sections so I still have hope.

EDIT: heh, yeah the pistol zombies really threw me off but it was pretty neat. So far I've been able to move back through all maps, there's nothing left to explore so I think it's still linear but hey it's nice to be able to go back and pick poo poo up so I won't complain.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Dominic White posted:

Edit: This doesn't seem half bad. Some weird concepts in there (don't get too close to the fast zombiemen - they'll take your pistol and you'll have to punch them to get it back) but it seems solid enough otherwise from these first couple of areas.

Also, I seem to be able to freely travel between the first two maps. Is it one giant hub, I wonder?

The music is a crime against god, humanity and doom in general as well. :argh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have NeoDoom Gold and I have no idea why or how I got it. I briefly tried it but didn't get too deep into it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The first two maps of Final Neodoom are pretty fast and easy, but boy howdy do things escalate quickly as of the third map. You're constantly going up and down that tower and there's a new shitload of enemies every time. You're not killing them all at once but by the time you're finished it looks not unlike a slaughtermap.

Those proximity mines are useful. Run around, drop a few, and if they don't kill anything for a while they deactivate and you can pick them up again. You can also kick them after dropping if you want to push them somewhere specific.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Still playing fneodoom. Bland lifeless maps, abusive use of realm 667 enemies, music- :mediocre:.

I'm struggling to keep up my motivation here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dominic White posted:

Edit 2: Yep, released just a couple weeks back, weird! Also, the creator launched a new site where you can get the original Neodoom: Gold Edition.

This looks like rear end!!!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Final NeoDoom is pretty bad. The first two maps seem decent enough, but after that the maps are way too big. It took me an hour to finish Map 3. I'm not sure if I want to keep going.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Speaking of Rare made shooters for the N64 with really awkward controls, anyone else remember Jetforce Gemini?(not an FPS, but felt like bringing it up, also it really needs a modern port badly, as it has bad controls even by N64 standards)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of Rare made shooters for the N64 with really awkward controls, anyone else remember Jetforce Gemini?(not an FPS, but felt like bringing it up, also it really needs a modern port badly, as it has bad controls even by N64 standards)

Jet Force Gemini is going to be in the Rare Replay release coming out for the Xbox One early August, along with 29 other games on the same disc/download: http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Replay-Xbox-One/dp/B00ZMBMO06

Also includes re-releases of both Perfect Dark games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Jet Force Gemini is going to be in the Rare Replay release coming out for the Xbox One early August, along with 29 other games on the same disc/download: http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Replay-Xbox-One/dp/B00ZMBMO06

Also includes re-releases of both Perfect Dark games.

Well that just made the chances of me getting an Xbox One in the future go up by a fair amount, hope it's not just a straight emulation of the N64 original(also makes me wonder which version of Conker's Bad Fur Day will be in there, the original N64 version or the Live & Reloaded version for the original Xbox)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Haha, I just recently heard about it and I've been curious and got a chance to try it but man are those controls bad. Shame that collection isn't likely to come to PC, I've heard good things about Perfect Dark too and would love to play it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jet Force Gemini controlled really well if you held down the R button 100% of the time for manual aim mode. It would basically be Turok 64 controls: c-buttons to move/strafe, analog stick to aim.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drrockso20 posted:

Well that just made the chances of me getting an Xbox One in the future go up by a fair amount, hope it's not just a straight emulation of the N64 original(also makes me wonder which version of Conker's Bad Fur Day will be in there, the original N64 version or the Live & Reloaded version for the original Xbox)

It is my understanding that their plan is as follows:

Emulators for the oldest games: The ZX Spectrum/C64/BBC Micro, NES and SNES games will all be emulated as of what they've most recently released.

For the N64 games, those that have had Xbox 360 remakes will be included as the 360 versions running in backwards compatibility mode (I'm in the beta for that, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark run great, I don't have Perfect Dark Zero or Bajo Kazooie on 360 to test)

Those that don't have already existing 360 releases are likely to be straight ported, because N64 emulation is a tire fire, and they've already had experience porting off of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man, I loved JFG right up until the second half where it turned into that collect 100% of the bears-athon and it turned into a huge slog.

Still, wouldn't mind being able to play at 60fps.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

It is my understanding that their plan is as follows:

Emulators for the oldest games: The ZX Spectrum/C64/BBC Micro, NES and SNES games will all be emulated as of what they've most recently released.

For the N64 games, those that have had Xbox 360 remakes will be included as the 360 versions running in backwards compatibility mode (I'm in the beta for that, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark run great, I don't have Perfect Dark Zero or Bajo Kazooie on 360 to test)

Those that don't have already existing 360 releases are likely to be straight ported, because N64 emulation is a tire fire, and they've already had experience porting off of it.

That sounds reasonable

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Shame that collection isn't likely to come to PC, I've heard good things about Perfect Dark too and would love to play it.
Look very closely at the "ONLY ON XBOX ONE" label on the amazon boxart pic. When you see it...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

Look very closely at the "ONLY ON XBOX ONE" label on the amazon boxart pic. When you see it...

I've never seen that happen before, do you think that actually means anything or just some weird error when they were making that picture (since I assume that's a mock-up)?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you go to the MS Website, they actually very specifically call the preorder "Rare Replay for Xbox One." I'm betting on a port to Windows 10, along with half of everything else they announced at E3.

That or they're doing a 360 version I guess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sweet JESUS Blast Corps is on that. Microsoft take my money. Take it now god drat you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Sweet JESUS Blast Corps is on that. Microsoft take my money. Take it now god drat you.

Diamond Sands in glorious HD :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

I will say it makes owning a Xbox One a lot more tempting, although I'm still more likely to get at least one of either the Wii U or the PS4 first