Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Everything orks do.

orks are just hooligan tolkien orcs mixed with horror novel triffids :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
pathetic

https://twitter.com/parrotttd/status/1281584694551875585

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Who is this fuckwit and what acts of fuckwittery did he commit to end up :qq:ing on the birb-site about it?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 10, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it appears that the acts of fuckwittery consisted of saying that fascists are terrible people who should gently caress off and don't deserve a debate and of being angry about chuds sending death threats to LGBT people

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RottenK posted:

it appears that the acts of fuckwittery consisted of saying that fascists are terrible people who should gently caress off and don't deserve a debate and of being angry about chuds sending death threats to LGBT people

That's not fuckwittery though, it's praxis?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Schadenboner posted:

That's not fuckwittery though, it's praxis?

well it seems that someone at the Black Library thought that upsetting fascists and bigots is bad

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yah, I am going to need more insight into this one. I follow him on twitter and he doesn't have any bad views. Like others said he basically told the fascists in the fan base to gently caress off. GW itself has disowned Arch recently so it's not like they want fascists in their base. My guess is they don't like how vocal he is on twitter in general considering he has only wrote a couple of short stories and he stirred up too much poo poo. Hmm...

Edit: nevermind I see the rest of that twitter thread explained more

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 10, 2020

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Nazis played GW like a fiddle.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reminder that Indomitus, at least the special editions, are out this morning. 10am US time instead of the usual 12pm for Limited Edition since it is launching with the new box set. It will be on GW site not Black Library. These are special not limited edition so they are cheaper than LEs. There are two cover variations with either the ultramarine or Necron and they are very pretty. Suggest you start hitting refresh 15 minutes early as it usually goes up a few minutes early.

The regular editions goes on pre-order this morning too. They aren't splitting the special and regular launches like they do with the limited editions.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 11, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

Reminder that Indomitus, at least the special editions, are out this morning. 10am US time instead of the usual 12pm for Limited Edition since it is launching with the new box set. It will be on GW site not Black Library. These are special not limited edition so they are cheaper than LEs. There are two cover variations with either the ultramarine or Necron and they are very pretty. Suggest you start hitting refresh 15 minutes early as it usually goes up a few minutes early.

The regular editions goes on pre-order this morning too. They aren't splitting the special and regular launches like they do with the limited editions.

10 PDT is 12 Central (real) U.S. time, though?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hmm, do they base it off pacific time? The limited editions usually are stated to release at 1pm ET and so it is 12pm my time. I know this released in the UK at 10am so I assumed it was 10am ET here, which would be 9am central.

hell I don't know now I am confused. Guess I will be refreshing all 845-9, 945-10, 1045-11, and 1145-12 just to be sure.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

Hmm, do they base it off pacific time? The limited editions usually are stated to release at 1pm ET and so it is 12pm my time. I know this released in the UK at 10am so I assumed it was 10am ET here, which would be 9am central.

hell I don't know now I am confused. Guess I will be refreshing all 845-9, 945-10, 1045-11, and 1145-12 just to be sure.

I mean, :laffo: if you aren't just constantly :f5:ing GW all day 'erry day?

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 11, 2020

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Apple Books said Saturnine came out today and I just bought it. Still gotta finish The Lost and the Damned though...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

Apple Books said Saturnine came out today and I just bought it. Still gotta finish The Lost and the Damned though...

I wouldn't skip The First Wall

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Try the audiobook of any Siege of Terra books you struggle to read. The production values get them across the finish line easily.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I basically get any Black Library book that I want as an audiobook (if it's available in that format obvs.).

My audible library is basically a wall of shame. :colbert:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Any reqs for Orks or Tyranids? Read Imperial Glory last year and always hungry for more.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

^burtle posted:

Any reqs for Orks or Tyranids? Read Imperial Glory last year and always hungry for more.

If you'll expand to include Genestealer Cultists there's Cult of the Spiral Dawn (Fehervari) and Cult of the Warmason (Werner), of the two I prefer Spiral Dawn?

E: Or whichever Cain book has him and Jurgen LARPing Gorkamorka.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 11, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Amberley is always such a B about Sulla's writing and it's not that bad?

:shrug:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

She cuts most of it. Sulla’s mostly just very repetitive, which can be fixed via editing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

^burtle posted:

Engine of Mork and Evil Sun Rising by Guy Haley are a great look at Meks.

The short Where deres a warp deres a Way is a fun short about a squad of boys attacking a Mechanicus ship and the author is doing a full ork novel soon.

As for Tyranids Devastation of Baal is good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If another Sabbat Worlds Crusade short story collection is released I'd love to see what happened during the ten year warp distortion among the rest of the Crusade.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Just finished Saturnine, after reading through The Solar War and spoiled summaries of The Lost and the Damned and The First Wall.

While it is interesting and fulfilling to finally get to read the details of what we know to happen, I prefer the more focused stories such as The Lords of Silence and the Night Lords. These huge battles with many different POVs, taking place on Terra feel hard to be invested in.

While Saturnine was a better read, in my opinion it suffers similarly to Unremembered Empire, where Dan has to tie together a lot of loose strings and events.

Regarding some reveals: So the Emperor is a perpetual named Neoth? Lame!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Are the books from warhammer horror series decent enough?

Also, holy crap that captcha.

I've only read Maledictions, it was a mixed bag, which in my experience of horror anthologies is pretty par for the course, overall I enjoyed it - I'd say it was a very good BL anthology and an OK horror anthology.

It opens really strongly with an admech-themed story from Cassandra Khaw, who I think is one of the best short/weird fiction authors out there at the moment.

Of the regular BL authors, I remember David Annandale's being pretty good and the rest varied from good to meh, there was only one real stinker in there for me, Graham McNeill's No Good Deed which was just like something an "edgy" 12 year old fanfic writer would write.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miguel Prado posted:

Just finished Saturnine, after reading through The Solar War and spoiled summaries of The Lost and the Damned and The First Wall.

While it is interesting and fulfilling to finally get to read the details of what we know to happen, I prefer the more focused stories such as The Lords of Silence and the Night Lords. These huge battles with many different POVs, taking place on Terra feel hard to be invested in.

While Saturnine was a better read, in my opinion it suffers similarly to Unremembered Empire, where Dan has to tie together a lot of loose strings and events.

Regarding some reveals: So the Emperor is a perpetual named Neoth? Lame!

The Emperor is named Neo? :lmao:

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
In book its described as one of many names hes been given/used, rather than the O.G name

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
He will never reveal his OG name, it would give Gods and even lesser beings power over him.

Propsero Burns has a whole theme and plot point about knowing someone's 'real' name being like having a leash on them.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

At first I thought it was dumb, then I remembered that the space vampire primarch is named Sanguinius, the angry one is named Anger(y R)on, another is named Raven Raven. And one named Iron Hands who has iron hands that leads the Iron Hands. Neolth fits right in.

Saturnine aside, I just finished Helsreach by ADB. It was surprising how likable Grimaldus and the Black Templars were considering what I remember from the Templar Codex way back when.

Then they started badmouthing the Salamanders and proved themselves to be the jerks I remember.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bastilan didn't really have a problem with the Salamanders at least. But that's why a level headed Black Templar never advances beyond Sergeant.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Galvanik posted:

Saturnine aside, I just finished Helsreach by ADB. It was surprising how likable Grimaldus and the Black Templars were considering what I remember from the Templar Codex way back when.

The audiobook and animation are both mandatory consumption if you have not yet done so.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Galvanik posted:

At first I thought it was dumb, then I remembered that the space vampire primarch is named Sanguinius, the angry one is named Anger(y R)on, another is named Raven Raven. And one named Iron Hands who has iron hands that leads the Iron Hands. Neolth fits right in.

You make a good point! Sometimes I forget what I am reading.

Do we know what will be the next book in the Siege series?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Owlkill posted:

Of the regular BL authors, I remember David Annandale's being pretty good and the rest varied from good to meh, there was only one real stinker in there for me, Graham McNeill's No Good Deed which was just like something an "edgy" 12 year old fanfic writer would write.

I'm re-reading the Forges of Mars trilogy by him, and I've really soured on McNeill considering he's often been considered one of the best BL authors. His dialogue absolutely stinks and is embarassing to read, the banter between people, the badass lines. It's all so incredibly forced.

It's like he's never really grown up from when he was one of the OG BL authors, when the Ventris series and Storm of Iron (which does slap still I'll admit) were the best of a fairly lacklustre stable of books. His Siege of Terra novella was the same.

But now in 2020 we've got Wraight and French, ADB gets better with every book and Abnett's done some crackers lately. It's like McNeill is still stuck in 2004 with his writing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm listening to the audio book of ADB's Spear of the Emperor and man is it fascinating. I have no idea where its going and look forward to finding out. I do have one question for someone who read it in physical or ebook. An old woman, after looking at their blood, raves in the reader's somewhat slavic accent for the natives that her words are not prophecies but are a "jee-rear end". Is that supposed to be "geas"? Or is it a native word she mixes in, like when she or Breyac talk in their native tongue?

It's really bugging me for some reason, probably how enthusiastically and repetitively she calls out the word. I know geas from being an old school D&D nerd but I've never heard it pronounced. Google says its Irish and pronounced "gesh".

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I've no idea but ADB lives in Ireland and is married to an Irish person so chances are good.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That's exactly what she's trying to say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
:ms:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Cheers.

I've also just finished up Ghost Warrior from the hundle bundle months back. It was fun seeing Genestealer Cult Eldar. I'll have to see if anyone's kitbashed that for either army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bagrada posted:

I'm listening to the audio book of ADB's Spear of the Emperor and man is it fascinating. I have no idea where its going and look forward to finding out. I do have one question for someone who read it in physical or ebook. An old woman, after looking at their blood, raves in the reader's somewhat slavic accent for the natives that her words are not prophecies but are a "jee-rear end". Is that supposed to be "geas"? Or is it a native word she mixes in, like when she or Breyac talk in their native tongue?

It's really bugging me for some reason, probably how enthusiastically and repetitively she calls out the word. I know geas from being an old school D&D nerd but I've never heard it pronounced. Google says its Irish and pronounced "gesh".

Good gently caress that's wrong. Extra wrong. I never understood WTF people were talking about with their "gee ess" spells when playing D&D until I finally read all the magic rules and was like... "that's a 'geas' lads"... It's pronounced with a hard g like "goose" followed by "yas".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's pronounced gay rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I think you'll find it it really pronounced Jesus :catholic: