Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope whoever decided the sandstorms in Mad Max were a good idea finds all their itches are unreachable for the rest of their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sunswipe posted:

I hope whoever decided the sandstorms in Mad Max were a good idea finds all their itches are unreachable for the rest of their life.

I uninstalled Mad Max after the third time I got caught in a sandstorm and had to wait for it to stop. It's an absolutely horrid mechanic that sucked all the fun out of an otherwise good game.

Inco has a new favorite as of 19:30 on May 19, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
But sandstorms have the best loot and aren't that bad? Hook megaloot crates and position your car so you're in the lee of the wind when you jump out to break and loot them, make like 2,000 scrap per storm. You actually want sandstorms they're the fastest way to make scrap in the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Uncharted 3's combat is really sticky with cover.

And I had an issue with an early puzzle involving some sliding tiles. I got like 60% of the puzzle but I don't think I fully 'got' the puzzle. I just moved the last tile and it activated sooner than I thought it should have.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Olaf The Stout posted:

But sandstorms have the best loot and aren't that bad? Hook megaloot crates and position your car so you're in the lee of the wind when you jump out to break and loot them, make like 2,000 scrap per storm. You actually want sandstorms they're the fastest way to make scrap in the game.

I stopped going out in sandstorms after I kept getting destroyed by flying poo poo. No point in going out when something is just going to come out of the sky and fly into your car, destroying it and killing you instantly. It's an absolute pain in the rear end.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Spyro: Year of the Dragon

Jesus Christ, the Frozen Altars yeti boxing match.

Bentley (the PC) moves at the speed of a sloth, the yeti's attacks are stronger and faster and all in all, it resembles trying to beat Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid without switching controller ports.

I forget exactly what the trick is, but it's something like moving forward and to the right while mashing heavy punch. The AI of the other yeti doesn't know how to deal with it and will eat the punch every time.

Trying to do it legitimately might be the most difficult part of the whole Playstation trilogy. Shame how no more Spyro games were ever made after those.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Trying to do it legitimately might be the most difficult part of the whole Playstation trilogy. Shame how no more Spyro games were ever made after those.

Yes, just three games, but it was good while it lasted.

I've forgotten how slow saving could be in the PS2 era. Saving in Snake Eater HD and even in the original Metal Gear games takes longer than it should.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I forget exactly what the trick is, but it's something like moving forward and to the right while mashing heavy punch. The AI of the other yeti doesn't know how to deal with it and will eat the punch every time.

I legit didn't know Spyro persisted after the trilogy and was shocked when someone said "nobody wants to see more spyro" until I looked it up. :smith:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Futuresight posted:

I legit didn't know Spyro persisted after the trilogy and was shocked when someone said "nobody wants to see more spyro" until I looked it up. :smith:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Would not be shocked if someone told me that this version of Spyro was the one that got super into meth after the PSX trilogy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The only Spyro games I've played was the one with the dragon flys where you could glitch yourself to swim in the air, and the one with the weird furry ladies and mole guy segments that I remember hating.
I also did play through the first skylanders with my little brother, and I think we both agreed that he had become very fugly. And had like literally nothing to do with the game at all iirc.

They just slapped his face on the box because I guess they weren't sure if people would buy it if it didn't already have some famous mascot name attached?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the idea of the PS2 trilogy, as weird as they were, because they were kind of a fascinating trainwreck - God of war combat with elemental breaths and and all-star cast including Elijah Wood, Gary Oldman and David Spade? Spyro is a Dragonfly now by adoption? OK. I'll see where you're going with this...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inco posted:

I stopped going out in sandstorms after I kept getting destroyed by flying poo poo. No point in going out when something is just going to come out of the sky and fly into your car, destroying it and killing you instantly. It's an absolute pain in the rear end.

Yeah but...how are you gonna bring what might be the most dynamic scene in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZ0_jor2_k

to a video game?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

It was a cool part of the movie, but that doesn't make its implementation any less poo poo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I can buy the pulpy supernatural poo poo that happens in uncharted 3. The maneating spiders, the rube goldberg contraptions, the Da Vinci Code scavenger hunting. That's all cool with me.

I can't loving buy this Talbot character and how good he is at doing his job. He teleports to wherever is narratively convenient for him and shoots brainwashing darts and teleports out. And apparently he's telepathic because the first time he does it he has to whisper to Jason Statham his instructions but when he tags Drake he's off camera and Drake just 'hears' him in his head.

I can't believe this game adopted Arkham combat. And the big brute Vinnie Jones type guys in this game can gently caress right off. When they do a charge they home the gently caress in.

The stealth is janky.

And Helen Mirrens a vampire or a lich here, right? Shes p much the villain in the first Tomb Raider.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Talbot was a pretty bad character and I forgot he existed until you mentioned he was one of the villains. But yeah, there are some pretty big holes in Uncharted 3's script.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
This shipyard boss fight. :/

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Elena: Nate, we only have one shot to rescue Sully

Drake: *deliriously staggers around the desert for several days*

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Wasn't Uncharted 3 made by Naughty Dog's B-team while the actual people who made Uncharted good were working on The Last of Us?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Wasn't Uncharted 3 made by Naughty Dog's B-team while the actual people who made Uncharted good were working on The Last of Us?

There was a lot shared between teams.

The main reason Uncharted 3 has problems is that the game got delayed due to one of the union strikes, meaning a lot of the actors had to leave the production early.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Talbot is a vampire-terminator, the game just neglects to state that fact.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the idea of the PS2 trilogy, as weird as they were, because they were kind of a fascinating trainwreck - God of war combat with elemental breaths and and all-star cast including Elijah Wood, Gary Oldman and David Spade? Spyro is a Dragonfly now by adoption? OK. I'll see where you're going with this...
The real insane PS2 platformer trilogy is Jak and Daxter. It goes some weird places, and the writing goes entirely off the rails in the third game. A lot of people didn't play through them because the series got weirdly hard for no reason, but it's worth seeing the completely batshit plot.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mokinokaro posted:

There was a lot shared between teams.

The main reason Uncharted 3 has problems is that the game got delayed due to one of the union strikes, meaning a lot of the actors had to leave the production early.

That explains why Chloe and Cutter are gone after the first act.

There's no motivation behind Marlowe and Talbot, no explanation for why Talbot is so committed to Marlowe, and no explanation to what if any connection the spiders have to Ubar.

Marlowe dies off like an afterthought and Drake comes off as an idiot instead of a decent person like I'm sure the game intended to convey him in that scene, while Talbot has a Jack Krauser final fight with Drake. It says something when the toadie gets a better way to die than the main villain. It's the first Uncharted all over again.

The warlord in 2 wasn't the deepest character but he showed up in enough scenes to prove his threat level and you fight him at the end, not his valet or whatever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

The real insane PS2 platformer trilogy is Jak and Daxter. It goes some weird places, and the writing goes entirely off the rails in the third game. A lot of people didn't play through them because the series got weirdly hard for no reason, but it's worth seeing the completely batshit plot.

And then they had a kart racer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Action Tortoise posted:

That explains why Chloe and Cutter are gone after the first act.

There's no motivation behind Marlowe and Talbot, no explanation for why Talbot is so committed to Marlowe, and no explanation to what if any connection the spiders have to Ubar.

Marlowe dies off like an afterthought and Drake comes off as an idiot instead of a decent person like I'm sure the game intended to convey him in that scene, while Talbot has a Jack Krauser final fight with Drake. It says something when the toadie gets a better way to die than the main villain. It's the first Uncharted all over again.

The warlord in 2 wasn't the deepest character but he showed up in enough scenes to prove his threat level and you fight him at the end, not his valet or whatever.

These are all pretty much the reasons why so many people say Uncharted 2 is the real highlight of the trilogy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I loved how much that series ramped up the weirdness. Yeah, sure the writing in the third game was nuts and utterly failed to deliver a complete and fulfilling ending, but it was a helluva right. The Mad Max aesthetic was great. Between all the rad battle cars in the desert, allusions to hero myths, and enemies with names like "Metal Heads" and "Krimzon Guard Death Bots", it was like some weird, buggy fever-dream. I loved it!

The kart racing game was great too. It had the issue of the second game where everything felt needlessly extreme, grim, and dark, but considering it was set chronologically around that time, it worked for me. It was fun to play. Mario Kart with machine guns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

And then they had a kart racer.
They had to do this because they wasted too much time and money on the racing system for the third game. That's also why Jak 3 has so many terrible vehicle missions.

Blind Sally posted:

I loved how much that series ramped up the weirdness. Yeah, sure the writing in the third game was nuts and utterly failed to deliver a complete and fulfilling ending, but it was a helluva right. The Mad Max aesthetic was great. Between all the rad battle cars in the desert, allusions to hero myths, and enemies with names like "Metal Heads" and "Krimzon Guard Death Bots", it was like some weird, buggy fever-dream. I loved it!

The kart racing game was great too. It had the issue of the second game where everything felt needlessly extreme, grim, and dark, but considering it was set chronologically around that time, it worked for me. It was fun to play. Mario Kart with machine guns.
Remember at the beginning of the third game when they introduced a heretofore unmentioned villain and acted like everyone knew him and he'd been around the whole time?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You talkin' 'bout the evil Count? He appears in the hit PSP spin-off, DAXTER, before he appears in Jak 3. just :lol: if you didn't play that lovely game (don't actually play that garbage game).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

You talkin' 'bout the evil Count? He appears in the hit PSP spin-off, DAXTER, before he appears in Jak 3. just :lol: if you didn't play that lovely game (don't actually play that garbage game).
This actually explains a lot.

Also the Precursor twist at the end is stupid, because we already know what they looked like: the Oracles and the Dark Makers share the same design.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Using villains from previous games that but not like the actual main games in the series is a weird trend that I wish would go away. Both Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dishonored 2 brought their main villains from the previous game's DLC so if you liked the last games enough to beat them and buy the eventual sequel but not enough to buy and play through all the different DLC then a bunch of stuff was going over your head.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think it's dumb that Uncharted 3 tries to build up this mysterious supernatural danger in Ubar and then diffuses all that suspense with "the water's tainted, breh."

The ifrit soldiers are a terrible enemy type, but the poo poo where you're reliving the beginning bits of the game but with the added subtext of survivor's guilt was cool. Hell, I was kinda hyped when the game teased me about the possibility of having a Mirror Drake boss fight.

But no, that would be too fun. Let's debunk all this supernatural poo poo. It's not like this world has things like tree sap that makes you hard to kill but also insane.

This game feels like it cribbed a lot from Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade and The Mummy movies. Salim's tribe is basically the Medji, Ubar sinks into the ground like Ahm Shere, and Drake's origin story is beat for beat the opening parts of The Last Crusade, down to when the middle-aged adventurer bequeaths Indie his hat mirroring Sully giving Drake his ring and the immediate scene transition to where Drake has to get into a fistfight involving the artifacts he first encountered as a kid.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Action Tortoise posted:

I think it's dumb that Uncharted 3 tries to build up this mysterious supernatural danger in Ubar and then diffuses all that suspense with "the water's tainted, breh."

to be fair, this literally happens in every Uncharted game. first game it was a magic mummy curse that turned out to be a bug plague, second game it was magic immortal temple guardians that turned out to be tree sap cocaine, and third game... well, tainted water. i was expecting the suspense to be diffused, but for a moment i thought they might go the route of having the Ifrit magic be the first real magic that Drake bumbled into, raising the stakes a little higher than previous games.

in that regard, i was a bit disappointed with the ifrit enemies. not actual fire monsters, just dudes in heavy body armour. (if you're having a hard time with them, use the grenade launcher. even on Crushing, the grenade launcher brings them down fast).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well if you wanna get fickle, it's the first time in the (main) series that there weren't supernatural causes and I feel like that was one of the things that must have got scrapped for time. They probably intended them to have a bigger part but cut them out for time but the coding and poo poo was already done so might as well at least give em a cameo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Blind Sally posted:

to be fair, this literally happens in every Uncharted game. first game it was a magic mummy curse that turned out to be a bug plague, second game it was magic immortal temple guardians that turned out to be tree sap cocaine, and third game... well, tainted water. i was expecting the suspense to be diffused, but for a moment i thought they might go the route of having the Ifrit magic be the first real magic that Drake bumbled into, raising the stakes a little higher than previous games.

the tree sap one was cool bc you meet these wendigo and they are downright frightening when all you've seen from the games is dudes with guns. when the reveal is that they're insane guys in fursuits it's crazy good because the way they animated when they attacked looked like guys in fursuits instead of an animal. it's like the game rewards you for being observant with those little details.

besides drake tripping out, there's nothing showing the horrors of the bad water besides the bioshock graffiti francis drake scribbles on the walls and the spiders, which have no direct connection to the water besides being a natural hazard in these spaces. and the point of marlowe and talbot going to ubar to retrieve the last macguffin (by virtue of being a da vinci code/national treasure-like game there's gonna be a ton of macguffins) is never really elaborated. does the thing poison water sources and cause everyone to trip out? because they already have a stock of brainwashing darts they can use to do their stuff and it seems like the water doesn't offer the same level of control the darts do when coercing your targets. and is the secret order trying to control the world or sell the stuff as a weapon for terrorists?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well if you wanna get fickle, it's the first time in the (main) series that there weren't supernatural causes and I feel like that was one of the things that must have got scrapped for time. They probably intended them to have a bigger part but cut them out for time but the coding and poo poo was already done so might as well at least give em a cameo.

i think they were jammed in there. the game tries to hint at them as a thing with salim's solomon story but it's a plot thread that barely got developed and was abruptly cut off once drake sobers up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I love when something that seems supernatural gets a real-world possible, if not plausible, explanation. Gun was my favourite for that, the main character somehow understands the native american language... because it turns out he spent the first few years of his life living among them. The villain is trying to find a mystical cross... because it reveals the location of a giant cave filled with gold. Love that poo poo!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The funny thing is with the Jak and Daxter plot, I actually called the precursor twist really early, in my playthrough of the first game, because I over think everything massively. My logic was thus: The Eco is based largely on precursor stuff, and Daxter fell directly into precursor stuff, and we never see any precursors (I didn't know the statues were meant to represent them), so it made some kind of sense to me that the eco would turn him into a precursor in some weird side-effect/late series twist. Cemented by the line at the start of Jak 3 from the monk almost directly calling Daxter a precursor (something about wearing the colors of our forebears). Also those little guys in 3 are big enough doofuses that I can buy the statues are them trying to make themselves look cooler than they are. When I got to the reveal in Jak 3 my response was "I was right?!" Never beat it though because the final boss is a trash fucker (No Jak, don't get into literally the worst car for the job you idiot! We're fighting a quadrupedal robot whose weakspots go up and down, what's a piddly machine gun going to do? Get the Dune Hopper you gently caress!), and I never played Jak 2 at all.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:44 on May 20, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

God drat you Ame No Uzume learn Dodge Psy already.

Edit: Posting about RNG issues always solves the problem. After 12 reloads it worked on the next one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

I love when something that seems supernatural gets a real-world possible, if not plausible, explanation. Gun was my favourite for that, the main character somehow understands the native american language... because it turns out he spent the first few years of his life living among them. The villain is trying to find a mystical cross... because it reveals the location of a giant cave filled with gold. Love that poo poo!

Personally I prefer the opposite, when something obviously and blatantly supernatural actually is obviously and blatantly supernatural, but humans use it in the most mundane ways imaginable. Like in Sunless Sea, the Iron Republic is Actual Hell Yes That One, but as far as any player is concerned for the first few hours of gameplay it's the cheapest place to buy fuel and little more.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

The funny thing is with the Jak and Daxter plot, I actually called the precursor twist really early, in my playthrough of the first game, because I over think everything massively. My logic was thus: The Eco is based largely on precursor stuff, and Daxter fell directly into precursor stuff, and we never see any precursors (I didn't know the statues were meant to represent them), so it made some kind of sense to me that the eco would turn him into a precursor in some weird side-effect/late series twist. Cemented by the line at the start of Jak 3 from the monk almost directly calling Daxter a precursor (something about wearing the colors of our forebears). Also those little guys in 3 are big enough doofuses that I can buy the statues are them trying to make themselves look cooler than they are. When I got to the reveal in Jak 3 my response was "I was right?!" Never beat it though because the final boss is a trash fucker (No Jak, don't get into literally the worst car for the job you idiot! We're fighting a quadrupedal robot whose weakspots go up and down, what's a piddly machine gun going to do? Get the Dune Hopper you gently caress!), and I never played Jak 2 at all.
Jak 2 is massively better than Jak 3.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Len posted:

God drat you Ame No Uzume learn Dodge Psy already.

Edit: Posting about RNG issues always solves the problem. After 12 reloads it worked on the next one.

That's the first one I got massively hung up on, though Matador with Magaru was being a big ole rear end in a top hat for no good reason too, even though I was just doing gallows with a Nekomata who only had their 3 default moves, one of which being Magaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

That's the first one I got massively hung up on, though Matador with Magaru was being a big ole rear end in a top hat for no good reason too, even though I was just doing gallows with a Nekomata who only had their 3 default moves, one of which being Magaru.

I looked up what the reward for maxing that confidant is and i've been in the velvet room for the last hour and a half fusing my way up from rank three. I'm high enough in level I can finish it so that's the new goal.