Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The ESRB exists as the industry's chance to run their own, so that they don't have to deal with a government one. Same deal with movie ratings, music explicit stickers, and even TV ratings - although the TV ratings are decreed by law, in actuality it's all self-enforced by TV channels.

Yeah, entertainment industries create ratings boards because of the threat of government enforcement of ratings. Absent that threat, we likely wouldn't have explicit content warnings on CDs or ratings on movies/video games, which are pretty important tools for parents who don't have the time to sit down and research every piece of media their child consumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

fade5 posted:

Wait what

Holy poo poo did I seriously just learn about the death of the president of Nintendo from the 2016 primary thread?
:smith:

Ahhhh loving damnit thanks a lot Clinton. You went and got Iwata dead somehow. Also I only found out cause of this too :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zelder posted:

I think a lot of Bernie supporters get really weird about black people in this thread (see: the earlier discussion with EugeneJ about black people getting direct marching orders from the corrupt black churches), and as a black man, it makes me uncomfortable.

I do hope that, in reaching out to black people about Bernie Sanders, it's done with more finesse than it's done in this thread.

Yeah, it's pretty silly. Anyone who thinks that Bernie's minority appeal is the biggest problem for his campaign, or even an issue at all, is just concern trolling.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
America can't afford to elect a compressed president.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Scotty being given the tour of his future place of employment.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ a good post

That man is not going to be the GOP nominee for president. At least Romney was still handsome when he did embarrassing campaign poo poo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's always amazing to see a privileged person's first exposure to blue collar labor/drudgery. "Wow, people work here all day, huh?"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I loathe Scott Walker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Slate Action posted:

America can't afford to elect a compressed president.

This thread is just going to keep hitting it out of the park as long as it keeps getting this sort of material to work with, and these sorts of minds to comment on it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not only are noncitizens not citizens, they're not even people!

On the other hand, corporations are people. Soon, they will be the only people. :getin:

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Clearly Clinton's superior knowledge of espionage and spycraft makes her the better candidate to protect our country

Aliquid posted:

^^ a good post

That man is not going to be the GOP nominee for president. At least Romney was still handsome when he did embarrassing campaign poo poo.

I do think he's really going to suffer if he has to stand on a debate stage with Trump, because he is just going to look like a lifeless, inert sack of crap in comparison.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Where's the beef?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Just so we're all clear, this image was sent out today by the Scott Walker campaign. I haven't altered it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum posted:

Just so we're all clear, this image was sent out today by the Scott Walker campaign. I haven't altered it.

You're kidding.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Wait, why are the sunglasses and cell phone bad? Am I missing something crucial here?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

:stare:

Was there any context to it at all? I'm finding it hard to believe that a supposed professional of any kind was actually paid for this.

E:

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Wait, why are the sunglasses and cell phone bad? Am I missing something crucial here?

It's nothing but variously pitched dog whistles and seething resentment.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 13, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Benghazi.jpg

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Reminds me of http://kimjongillookingatthings.tumblr.com/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

:stare:

Was there any context to it at all? I'm finding it hard to believe that a supposed professional of any kind was actually paid for this.

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/620372232745816064

And I guess I should mention that almost all of the silly images of candidates I post in this thread are from their official Twitter or Instagram accounts. So if you see a silly picture of Lindsey Graham at the town dump or Rand Paul pretending to light a wheelbarrow of paper on fire, those are pictures the candidate wanted you to see.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's meant to contrast Walker being personable with Hillary being rude, distant and impersonal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Joementum posted:

And I guess I should mention that almost all of the silly images of candidates I post in this thread are from their official Twitter or Instagram accounts. So if you see a silly picture of Lindsey Graham at the town dump or Rand Paul pretending to light a wheelbarrow of paper on fire, those are pictures the candidate wanted you to see.

I think the main benefit I'm getting from this thread is being able to forward this material to my colleagues in digital political rhetoric.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Is the takeaway supposed to be that Scott Walker turns every lunch while on the road into an ordeal? He apparently called ahead to that McDonald's far enough in advance for some poor bastard to get assigned to throw together a bunch of decorations. Unless they showed up with those decorations ready to go.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Clearly Clinton's superior knowledge of espionage and spycraft makes her the better candidate to protect our country

I do think he's really going to suffer if he has to stand on a debate stage with Trump, because he is just going to look like a lifeless, inert sack of crap in comparison.

Scott Walker would look like a lifeless, inert sack of crap in comparison to a literal sack of crap.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Wow, this candidate looks very presidential!

That staffer to his right could stand to lose a few pounds and get some rogaine, though.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Scott Walker looks like the manager of that McDonalds

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

withak posted:

Is the takeaway supposed to be that Scott Walker turns every lunch while on the road into an ordeal? He apparently called ahead to that McDonald's far enough in advance for some poor bastard to get assigned to throw together a bunch of decorations. Unless they showed up with those decorations ready to go.

The takeaway is that Walker thinks people can't tell the difference between a staged photo-op and leaked security camera footage.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Scott Walker is that handsome man's DUFF

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

So Trump keeps saying that he's going to build a wall, and make the Mexican government pay for it, or that he's going to bill them for every illegal immigrant. Just how does anyone think that's going to work, precisely? Like he's going to whip up an invoice in Quickbook? If he's talking about doing something in trade, doesn't NAFTA get in the way of that? Or is everyone just glossing over that because it's such twaddle?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

LongSack posted:

So Trump keeps saying that he's going to build a wall, and make the Mexican government pay for it, or that he's going to bill them for every illegal immigrant. Just how does anyone think that's going to work, precisely? Like he's going to whip up an invoice in Quickbook? If he's talking about doing something in trade, doesn't NAFTA get in the way of that? Or is everyone just glossing over that because it's such twaddle?

Here's how he thinks it will work:

1) he says it a lot
2) his poll numbers go up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

StandardVC10 posted:

I loathe Scott Walker.

Me too. He is awful and also the next president of the United States.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LongSack posted:

It is more of an indicator of whether someone (including Donald trump) has given the idea even the tiniest bit of thought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A federal agency is after Trump, and it's not the one you think!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
As long as Trump's supporters are really loving stupid, he can say whatever he wants.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

LongSack posted:

Yes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thanks, Obama :unsmith:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

LongSack posted:

This is what a Trump supporter sounds like:

quote:

She said she had been a fan of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie until he took a helicopter ride with, and hugged, President Obama in the wake of Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Of the president, she said, “he wants to be a dictator. I don’t know if he’s ever going to leave. My friends all told me he has to because of the First Amendment.”

Trump and his supporters are not people who bring substantial critical thought to foreign policy concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Zwabu posted:

-It's interesting that he actually makes the statement that the U.S. has to make sure the less fortunate are taken care of with respect to health care, etc. in contrast to most GOP doctrine since Reagan. Of course it's just a briefly mentioned bullet point with no specifics whatsoever on how this would be done (there's a brief handwave with the usual GOP stuff about insurance markets across state borders). It's mainly remarkable that the sentiment was expressed at all, instead of "dirty poors should lie down in the street and die".

This really isn't getting enough attention, and it was the most interesting part of his ridiculous speech IMO. If any other GOP candidate says this, they're doomed. I'm still wrapping my head around it, but it's clear that Donald is playing by different rules.

• Locked thread