Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Lemming posted:

it's not a dpad, it's a plus button. like start.

There is no DPAD!!??!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Takoluka posted:

The Dualshock 4 is too small for you? Christ, I'm sorry.

It's the best DS yet, but I still had to put extenders on the sticks to make it comfortable. Xbox controllers are the only ones I've really been comfortable with... and the original Saturn one I guess. I have above average sized hands but I'm no Andre the Giant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is no DPAD!!??!?

It's true, this controller has no dpad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is no DPAD!!??!?

i can't believe i hadn't noticed this

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is no DPAD!!??!?

The four buttons under the left stick are the DPad. It's to allow people to use either joycon as a controller. The pro controller has a real dpad.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Lemming posted:

it's not a dpad, it's a plus button. like start.

I'm honestly kinda bummed at the fact that the combined joycons basically have no D-Pad, but rather the C-button-ish direction buttons on the left side. It doesn't look very comfortable for virtual console games. The pro controller has the traditional D-Pad, but my use case will probably mostly be the joycons attached to the console.

I would actually seriously consider buying a left Joycon-substitute with a real D-Pad and no fancy motion control features, if a third party were to offer that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure someone will sell a piece of plastic that snaps onto the four buttons to make it into a Dpad.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure someone will sell a piece of plastic that snaps onto the four buttons to make it into a Dpad.

That would work for me too, assuming it actually made hitting diagonals easier.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Cojawfee posted:

$40 kickstarter thing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

humiliating

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

will rocket league for switch have cross play?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

they are blasting out some sick Fire Emblem tunes.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

will rocket league for switch have cross play?

It took forever for Microsoft to enable PC cross play but I'm sure with Nintendo's new system they'll be doing everything they can to ensure third party devs can netwahahaha.

We don't know yet but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you want free online Rocket League I'm pretty sure there's a PC version, you know...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The concern I have about Joy Con R is how far toward the center the joystick is. It looks like a big hindrance for anyone trying to use it as a standalone controller.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The concern I have about Joy Con R is how far toward the center the joystick is. It looks like a big hindrance for anyone trying to use it as a standalone controller.

That's why player two gets it.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wouldn't you just use the other one then?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
IIRC there are different models of the joy-con that feature d-pads coming in the near future. You know, for different control layouts.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rexroom posted:

IIRC there are different models of the joy-con that feature d-pads coming in the near future. You know, for different control layouts.

well, those exist in the form of patents, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to get made

like the VR headset the Switch tablet snaps into. might not get that, but the patent exists.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Flumbooze posted:

Wouldn't you just use the other one then?

I don't want player two to have a lovely experience.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Argas posted:

Unfortunately region-free doesn't mean that all language options will be available.

We really need confirmation of this.

Does anyone know if the Switch will be able to run at 720p when docked? My TV is a 720p and I use HMDI to VGA so I get perfect pixel mapping but it doesn't work if the signal is 1080p

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 15, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Jonas Albrecht posted:

But you're playing a Switch. So it'll be lovely be default!

Heyyoooooo

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 15, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

If you want free online Rocket League I'm pretty sure there's a PC version, you know...

Yes, but can you take your PC to rooftop hipster parties?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

yessssssssssssssss

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

But you're playing a Switch. So it'll be shifty be default!

Heyyoooooo

Just you wait! I'll be playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon and it will be fun and I wont be alone anymore!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rexroom posted:

I think Nintendo would already want to tread carefully with these two matching controllers being slightly different, so adding variants beyond "the left one" and "the right one" isn't something I'd expect anytime soon.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Just you wait! I'll be playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon and it will be fun and I wont be alone anymore!

Stopping strangers in the busy street to pester them to play with you is just going to get authorities involved.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How often do people expect to actually play that way rather than just use both or a controller though?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Avalerion posted:

How often do people expect to actually play that way rather than just use both or a controller though?

Individually they're more or less snes controllers with an analog stick instead of a dpad. It would be an issue for games where you're expected to move+camera at the same time, as well as genres like twin stick shooters, but otherwise should work fine.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My bad, I thought you were talking about playing alone and only using the one controller.

Although, come to think of it even if that was implied, you really shouldn't.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

univbee posted:

Individually they're more or less snes controllers with an analog stick instead of a dpad. It would be an issue for games where you're expected to move+camera at the same time, as well as genres like twin stick shooters, but otherwise should work fine.

I meant like, the "hand your second joycon to someone for impromptu multiplayer" is just a gimmick, you are getting this for Zelda and Splatoon which you'll play by yourself with a proper controller anyway.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I meant like, the "hand your second joycon to someone for impromptu multiplayer" is just a gimmick, you are getting this for Zelda and Splatoon which you'll play by yourself with a proper controller anyway.

I don't expect to do it a lot or anything but it'd nice to be able to just whip it out for a few games of Mario Kart when a friend and I have an unexpected wait, or randomly after a 2 on 2 street basketball game, you know?

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Gentleman Baller posted:

I don't expect to do it a lot or anything but it'd nice to be able to just whip it out for a few games of Mario Kart when a friend and I have an unexpected wait, or randomly after a 2 on 2 street basketball game, you know?

I can't wait for the youtube prank videos where people challenge each other to a fight and then they whip out the Nintendo Switch and play Super Smash Bros or something.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Confused whether you were part of the "major" European countries that were getting the new Switch? Wonder no more:

Nintendo of Europe posted:

*On 3rd March, Nintendo Switch will be available in the following European territories: Austria, Andorra, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hungary, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Russia, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, the Vatican. It will also be available in South Africa at the same timing.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/January/Nintendo-Switch-launches-on-3rd-March--1173122.html

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Each joypad only has one joystick...that worked well for psp games didn't it!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

From Software should make an Armored Core for the Switch just because I'd love to see how they'll gently caress up the control scheme.
Or imagine Robot Alchemic Drive with waggle to walk and punch.

Rexroom posted:

Confused whether you were part of the "major" European countries that were getting the new Switch? Wonder no more:
Does the Pope switch in the woods?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

From Software should make an Armored Core for the Switch just because I'd love to see how they'll gently caress up the control scheme people get angry that they didn't release a Souls game on the Switch.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I think From Software said they were through with the Souls games, so either they'll just make a Dark Souls compilation or something else.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd like to see them make another souls style game but in a different aesthetic.

Or a Switch port of their monster hunter animal crossing-esque game that we never got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want to see a From software game with the same aesthetic that Automata has. Futuristic, robots that kinda thing.

I wanna see how they can take their sword type combat and tie it to a future theme.

• Locked thread