Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

turtlecrunch posted:

Anything crystal-related has an extremely high resistance to magic.

to put a point on this, the final tiers of magic are called "crystal <spell name>"

so basically you're hitting magical beings with magic, it's kind of like hitting smelter demon with fire, doesn't really work well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Jastiger posted:

If a dark future exists, why when you go there are there silver and black knights? Whom do they serve?

There are no silver knights in the dark Firelink. I'm actually not sure what the status of Silver Knights are. Black Knights though are explicitly essentially animated suits of armor. They wander around because that's all they can do in life anymore, Gwyn's been gone for a super long time by this point. They still loving hate demons though, and generally everything else too to a certain extent.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jastiger posted:

These posts make sense, I hadn't thought of it that way. Them being directionless souls just bent on killing whatever. I guess what was different was that in the Unlit firelink, EVERYONE is gone, but its clear they were there before. Not even the firekeeper is there, she's dead behind a fake wall with eyes that saw the world go dark. THis tells me that the firekeepers are closer to automatons pre programmed to always want the fire to be linked. But if they are automatons, why did they die but the handmaidens do not? Why has everyone gone hollow but still disappeared? For example the Master dude is obviously hollow but he's still around. WHy did he disappear when the fire went out? Shouldn't he, like the knights, be on eternal vigil despite flame status? I really love the lore in this game but it sticks in my nerd craw that there are so many unanswered questions. Why do specific entities survive ages? Why are their souls passed down? Where did Seath/Nito/etc go from DS1 if we're playing the consistent parts of the story throughout the ages and Gwyn from DS1 was indeed the original storyline. Those guys were around then too, where did they go?

Dark Firelink is in the past.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey guys, you know how the flow of time in both Lordran and Drangleic is distorted?

Maybe--hear me out on this one--maybe it is also distorted in Lothric

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Imagine how much easier the lore would be to follow if these gods and ancient heroes would stop moving around and changing their names.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The silver knights in DS1 were illusions, the ones in this game seem to be actual guys, which means they have gone hollow. I am basing this off the one you find staring at a painting of Gwynevere and the fact that the ones around the cathedral are still defending it despite Aldrich having already eaten their only remaining god, however those ones might be illusions manifested by Aldrich- there is definitely no reason for the ones in Irithyll proper to be illusions though, or rather there is no reason to have an illusion behave that way.

e: There's a painting of Nashville in the same room that doesn't curse you 0/10 game

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 5, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

turtlecrunch posted:

The silver knights in DS1 were illusions, the ones in this game seem to be actual guys, which means they have gone hollow. I am basing this off the one you find staring at a painting of Gwynevere and the fact that the ones around the cathedral are still defending it despite Aldrich having already eaten their only remaining god, however those ones might be illusions manifested by Aldrich- there is definitely no reason for the ones in Irithyll proper to be illusions though, or rather there is no reason to have an illusion behave that way.

e: There's a painting of Nashville in the same room that doesn't curse you 0/10 game

The DS1 silver knights felt plenty real when they were knocking me off that loving rafter.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Sorcery's early game strength isn't in casting darts or bolts or anything it's Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring+ Lingering Dragoncrest Ring + Hidden body + Aldrich's Sapphire Ring. This will allow you to sneak past or back-stab pretty much any enemy and with ones who it doesn't one shot you step back about 6 feet and wait for them to turn around and open themselves up to another one. The sapphire refills your FP so you basically never run out You still have to legit fight the bosses which is a matter of whatever sword or (THRALL AXE RAW) with your highest magic weapon cast on it, but basically once you do Farron's Swamp and Cathedral the trash between bosses becomes easier than with any build -- it feels like cheating.

It's pretty fun backstabbing Havel 7 or so times to death on NG++ without him ever noticing you, but I do feel like I'm rusty at direct combat, and it doesn't help PVP which you are pretty much at a disadvantage throughout.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is 27 VIG good enough for NG? I heard that the gains from 27+ ramp down like crazy, so I might as well put points into stamina or damage stats if it's not worth it. I'm currently SL80 if that's relevant.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Is 27 VIG good enough for NG? I heard that the gains from 27+ ramp down like crazy, so I might as well put points into stamina or damage stats if it's not worth it. I'm currently SL80 if that's relevant.

27 is the softcap, yea. It lets you hit 1k HP. 39 is 1200 HP. 50 is 1300 HP.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oneof3steves posted:

Sorcery's early game strength isn't in casting darts or bolts or anything it's Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring+ Lingering Dragoncrest Ring + Hidden body + Aldrich's Sapphire Ring. This will allow you to sneak past or back-stab pretty much any enemy and with ones who it doesn't one shot you step back about 6 feet and wait for them to turn around and open themselves up to another one.

I mean... you can also just sprint past everything, for no cost, with any ring equipped at all.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
27 vig is fine for PVE, it's enough to not get oneshot by most things (while embered) probably even into NG+. The returns start slowing down a lot but its still decent up to around 40. Having more can be important in SL100 PVP especially if you're a phantom because there are things that will combo and kill you from 100% at that amount of health, or if you get parried you're almost certainly dead.

The exact numbers are here: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Vigor

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Dark Firelink is in the past.

How is this? You find a lot of evidence of the denizens of your Firelink there, leading me to believe its in the future.

Plus isn't the tower not there? If you are in the Kiln of the First Flame you can see Firelink from there and there is certainly no tower.

What evidence is there that the knights were an illusion in DS1? They seemed pretty real to me.Gwynevere disappears if you attack her since she's an illusion. The silver knights..uh...don't.

Gologle posted:

There are no silver knights in the dark Firelink. I'm actually not sure what the status of Silver Knights are. Black Knights though are explicitly essentially animated suits of armor. They wander around because that's all they can do in life anymore, Gwyn's been gone for a super long time by this point. They still loving hate demons though, and generally everything else too to a certain extent.

If you go there, the knights there are dressed in silver. Thats a silver knight, right?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Am I the only one who thinks the untended graves are some kind of Dagobah swamp cave vision quest picture of the future that might be? Wouldn't be the first time in a souls game you go to a non-literal vision thingy like the memories and get tangible items. Also explains the crazy king, he's living on top of a dark mirror of reality.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kild posted:

27 is the softcap, yea. It lets you hit 1k HP. 39 is 1200 HP. 50 is 1300 HP.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

27 vig is fine for PVE, it's enough to not get oneshot by most things (while embered) probably even into NG+. The returns start slowing down a lot but its still decent up to around 40. Having more can be important in SL100 PVP especially if you're a phantom because there are things that will combo and kill you from 100% at that amount of health, or if you get parried you're almost certainly dead.

The exact numbers are here: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Vigor

Cool, guys. Thanks!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

How is this? You find a lot of evidence of the denizens of your Firelink there, leading me to believe its in the future.

The Shrine Maiden recognizes you if you visit her in Untended Graves first before ever talking to her in normal Firelink, implying that Untended Graves is indeed a part of the past.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Dark Firelink has the towers, but you can't open them. But I'm pretty sure the knights you find there are black, not silver.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TaurusTorus posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the untended graves are some kind of Dagobah swamp cave vision quest picture of the future that might be? Wouldn't be the first time in a souls game you go to a non-literal vision thingy like the memories and get tangible items. Also explains the crazy king, he's living on top of a dark mirror of reality.

If we accept the premise that time is linear in Lothric, then why wouldn't the Untended Graves be the present? After all, you can walk there from any point in the High Wall of Lothric. Firelink Shrine itself is only connected to the High Wall through a bonfire warp.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jastiger posted:

If you go there, the knights there are dressed in silver. Thats a silver knight, right?

They're black knights. They use black knight weapons even if you're not sure about the armor color.

Black Knight (the armor anyway, the actual dude is bigger and way cooler than some unkindled scrub)

Silver Knight

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, the bosses in this game?

They're like a million times harder than the ones from previous Dark Souls. The multiple phases and improved AI definitely are a part of this. For the most part this is awesome. But, much like in how DS2 there were too many bosses that were just big dudes in armor, too many bosses here summon adds or copies. The only one where this was thematically and mechanically awesome was Abyss Watchers, particularly since by default you're fighting on the side of the ones who've gone hollow. Such a brilliantly savage indictment of the player character's role.

turtlecrunch posted:

They're definitely flesh in that armor, at least. Unlike the knights in DS1, they make gross undead grunting noises rather than the distinctive hisses.

Also I frowned at the lack of curse from the same painting. Way to drop the ball From.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Notorious QIG posted:

The DS1 silver knights felt plenty real when they were knocking me off that loving rafter.

Actually now that I think about it I think they did stay when the illusion fell, just not the one in the main hall, so disregard me. :v:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Notorious QIG posted:

If we accept the premise that time is linear in Lothric, then why wouldn't the Untended Graves be the present? After all, you can walk there from any point in the High Wall of Lothric. Firelink Shrine itself is only connected to the High Wall through a bonfire warp.

I meant vision of the future as in a vision quest possible future, not literal time travel. Like "this could be your life".

edit: but yeah I see your point. Also there's a third firelink that you warp to on the way to the kiln of the first flame, where does that sit in the hypothetical timeline?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

Notorious QIG posted:

There are two fairly strong reasons why I think Untended Graves is in the past.

First: Champion Gundyr's armor set description. I'll spoil it just in case: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more." That implies that you defeating Champion Gundyr is what sets up Iudex Gundyr in the Cemetery of Ash.

Second: in a wonderfully obscure series of events, if you talk to the Shrine Handmaid at Untended Graves before you ever talk to her in Firelink Shrine, then talk to her in Firelink, she has different dialog that implies she remembers you.

TaurusTorus posted:

I meant vision of the future as in a vision quest possible future, not literal time travel. Like "this could be your life".

edit: but yeah I see your point. Also there's a third firelink that you warp to on the way to the kiln of the first flame, where does that sit in the hypothetical timeline?

I'm pretty sure the Flameless Shrine that links to the Kiln is supposed to be the same as the main Firelink Shrine, but they didn't want to have a point of no return so you can still go back to the one where all the NPCs are still there. I could be wrong about that, though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 5, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gologle posted:

Are they the thousand sons off the souls world? Souls trapped in a suit of armor, barely seen automaton with pinwky the simplest of minds?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What does the word "Iudex" mean

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Judge

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm twelve thousand posts behind (:stare: ) but I just wanted to say that at SL 120, pvping with a Fume Knight Greatsword +5, with a host friend using Dried Fingers (and a Seed of a Tree of Giants :xd: ) in the Grand Belfry, is some of the most fun pvp fighting I've had in forever. Constant, repeated invasions and about 100k souls/10 minutes.

So good. I may never beat the boss of this area

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

First: Champion Gundyr's armor set description. I'll spoil it just in case: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more." That implies that you defeating Champion Gundyr is what sets up Iudex Gundyr in the Cemetery of Ash.

Eh that's inconclusive to me. The player doesn't do anything with the coiled sword to Champion Gundyr or his body, so it seems like a weird jump to just assume that the "unknown warrior" is you.

quote:

Second: in a wonderfully obscure series of events, if you talk to the Shrine Handmaid at Untended Graves before you ever talk to her in Firelink Shrine, then talk to her in Firelink, she has different dialog that implies she remembers you.

poo poo, really? Huh.

net cafe scandal posted:

What does the word "Iudex" mean
"Judge"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

Eh that's inconclusive to me. The player doesn't do anything with the coiled sword to Champion Gundyr or his body, so it seems like a weird jump to just assume that the "unknown warrior" is you.

The description doesn't necessarily imply that you're the one who shoved a sword into him, just that he was defeated by an unknown warrior. He may well have done that to himself. I'm inclined to believe that the "unknown warrior" is the player because that's what happened the first time a Dark Souls game had time travel: you're an "unsung hero" who completes Artorias's quest in the Abyss, according to the description on the Soul of Artorias. That sort of primes me to read anything that might be time travel and involves an "unknown/unsung" person setting up something you see in the present as being the player.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Notorious QIG posted:

It says he was bested and then he became the sheath "in the hopes that someday x", i.e. he put the coiled sword in himself and started waiting for the future.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

The description doesn't necessarily imply that you're the one who shoved a sword into him, just that he was defeated by an unknown warrior. He may well have done that to himself. I'm inclined to believe that the "unknown warrior" is the player because that's what happened the first time a Dark Souls game had time travel: you're an "unsung hero" who completes Artorias's quest in the Abyss, according to the description on the Soul of Artorias. That sort of primes me to read anything that might be time travel and involves an "unknown/unsung" person setting up something you see in the present as being the player.

turtlecrunch posted:

It says he was bested and then he became the sheath "in the hopes that someday x", i.e. he put the coiled sword in himself and started waiting for the future.

Fair enough. Idk it still feels wrong to me to assume that in a place that we appear to visit two different versions of at various points in the timeline, the one not in the present is the one we can walk to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So I'm thinking my anri short sword build is pretty much terrible for PvP. I'm sl95, and didn't even realize until recently that blessed weapon (I've been pumping faith for lightning but now quite there) removes carthas buff. And I'm not using carthas in PvP.

Regardless, I can't really offhand anything else to vary my attacks very well unless I what, hollow infused it? Which seems like a waste of my one hollow gem. Even if I land a parry, which I often can't (can I not parry huge weapons?) I can't one shot kill even with Leo+hornet ring on with my 40 luck. So due to that , and that everyone can simply roll out of my short sword r1 spam, I just can't win 1v1 fights against anyone because they have estus advantage.

So...respec recommendations? I'm up for anything, preferably unparriable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

Fair enough. Idk it still feels wrong to me to assume that in a place that we appear to visit two different versions of at various points in the timeline, the one not in the present is the one we can walk to.

I'd agree with you in any other game in this series, but this one pretty explicitly involves lands from different times converging together.

That said, how you get to Untended Graves is... odd. I have no idea why it would be there of all places. It's the one area transition that feels jarring to me. Maybe it's supposed to, I dunno, but it's weird.

I mean, the other possibility is that Firelink Shrine is the only thing that's in the present, and the entire rest of the game world is in the "past." Maybe everything you see in the distance from Firelink Shrine and the Cemetery of Ash is illusion and it falls away when you perform the ritual at the end and open the way to the Kiln. There's nothing left anywhere and you have to go into the past to get the Lords' cinders. That take seems like even more of a reach to me, though, for some reason, given that NPCs have no problem getting to Firelink Shrine.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 5, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not using carthas in PvP.

That's the entire point of a Luck build in PVP :confused: Anri's Sword hits like a freight train with 40 Luck and bleed procs nigh-instantaneously.

Also Blessed Weapon is terrible and only whips are unparriable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

So I'm thinking my anri short sword build is pretty much terrible for PvP. I'm sl95, and didn't even realize until recently that blessed weapon (I've been pumping faith for lightning but now quite there) removes carthas buff. And I'm not using carthas in PvP.

Regardless, I can't really offhand anything else to vary my attacks very well unless I what, hollow infused it? Which seems like a waste of my one hollow gem. Even if I land a parry, which I often can't (can I not parry huge weapons?) I can't one shot kill even with Leo+hornet ring on with my 40 luck. So due to that , and that everyone can simply roll out of my short sword r1 spam, I just can't win 1v1 fights against anyone because they have estus advantage.

So...respec recommendations? I'm up for anything, preferably unparriable.

Blessed Weapon is awful, don't use it. All it does is add 7.5% damage. Use Carthus Rouge instead. That's the entire point of a Luck build.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alabaster White posted:

That's the entire point of a Luck build in PVP :confused: Anri's Sword hits like a freight train with 40 Luck and bleed procs nigh-instantaneously.

Also Blessed Weapon is terrible and only whips are unparriable.

Does it work well? I assume most people aren't using anti bleed Moss, but how many hits do you need to build it up? Also what the hell should I be offhanding? Hollow +6 whip could be funny I guess? Caestus i miss parries with andsince I can't one shot anyways why bother

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

There are two fairly strong reasons why I think Untended Graves is in the past.

She recognizes you in lit firelink or UNlit firelink? Because if you go to untended graves and talk to her, and she remembers you in the LIT firelink, that does throw things off, right? If untended is in the past, why do we have a firekeepers eyes there? Why is Hawkwoods items outisde, or umbral ash inside? It doesn't make sense that characters from the "future" lit firelink have items in the "past" unlit firelink, right?

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 5, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Halberds are so good in this game. They kill me every time in PVP.. They seem like the best weapon class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All the secrets in the game are great. But basic NPC interaction shouldn't be so secretive. I sent Greirat off the Irithyll and I killed pontiff so I guess he's dead now or something. I have never encountered Siegward beyond the initial (?) meeting on the elevator with the archer and the battle he joins you in after, and I've only ever seen Patches at the tower outside Firelink and I've read both of them are imperative to keeping Greirat alive. I only have Yuria in my firelink for the first time now on my third playthrough, she keeps telling me about Anri who I also have been unable to advance it seems. I see her on the Road of Sacrifices, then in the shrine but not since. And I mean I'm somewhat of a completionist, I always try to exhaust every path and turn every corner, how am I missing out on so much?