Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Matt Berry really does a good Dickens.

Toast Of London is still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Matt Berry really does a good Dickens.

Toast Of London is still amazing.

If you go to 4oD, there's a deleted clip of him as Toast reading from Bob Marley's autobiography.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I still can't get over how funny Ray Purchase riding on the 'Beefeater Anti-Gay Tours' bus is.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Maybe I should post this here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531278&pagenumber=16#post437288138

If somebody needs a break from their TV and wants to talk about it in a pub.
(this Wednesday, Cittie of Yorke , London)

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Kevin McCloud wrote Grand Designs episode based on fans’ drinking game

quote:

Grand Designs host Kevin McCloud made an episode of the architecture show “deliberately designed to get people as drunk as possible” after discovering its fans had invented a drinking game based on it.

The long-running Channel 4 show follows families designing and building their dream homes, and the rules of the game mean viewers have a drink when regular occurrences happen on screen, including the owners running out of money or quitting their job to manage the project.

McCloud said: “We even actually wrote an entire programme around the drinking, and it’s covert so one of the programmes is deliberately designed to get people as drunk as possible.

“There are all kinds of rules, like every time I used the word ‘bespoke’ it’s a double shot, the wife gets pregnant half way through, that’s a treble”.

Other rules include having a drink if the owners ignore planning permission or the windows do not fit.

Did anyone here play during that episode?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

It's hard to know what episode he's talking about, given that all the squares on the Grand Designs bingo card get filled in during pretty much any episode you can name. In my mothers' household they all cheer every time the female half of the couple doing the build gets pregnant, generally in winter, while living in a caravan on-site, next to a house with no roof and windows. Seriously, they should prescribe Kevin McCloud on the NHS as fertility treatment. The amount of women who get pregnant with him around is both hilarious and a touch alarming.

(I wholeheartedly love Kevin, and if I ever inexplicably get £300,000 to build my tiny dream house in the Campsie Fells I'll call him in and we can have a lovely, drinking game-based building experience together)

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I just marathoned Utopia. That show is just brilliant- masterfully shot, edited, acted. Even down to the symbology of colours and shapes in the shots. The question marks at the end of S2 were neat. Imagine the emotional rollercoaster I was on when I found out both season 3 isn't going to be made but David Fincher of all people is bringing it to the US.
Reznor better not do the drat music though. That would be a bit too much. But it's Fincher, so it's basically guaranteed.

Any other Utopia fans here?

Oh hey, thanks!

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 15, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Paradox Personified posted:

I just marathoned Utopia. That show is just brilliant- masterfully shot, edited, acted. Even down to the symbology of colours and shapes in the shots. The question marks at the end of S2 were neat. Imagine the emotional rollercoaster I was on when I found out both season 3 isn't going to be made but David Fincher of all people is bringing it to the US.
Reznor better not do the drat music though. That would be a bit too much. But it's Fincher, so it's basically guaranteed.

Any other Utopia fans here?

We had a thread on it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646128

Goon consensus was that it was shot and scored utterly magnificently, season two wasn't quite as great as season one (save for the 1970s' first episode), and we're all rather naffed off that it ended on a cliffhanger.

I loved Wilson Wilson though. His journey from affable, sweetly naive conspiracy nut to the man we saw in front of that red wall at the end of season two was incredibly well done.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe someone more in tune with BBC television can help me figure this out, but does Milton Jones have some incriminating pictures of the Mock the Week production heads or can they not find anyone else willing to guest on the show? Jones is literally the least funny person I've ever seen on a BBC show, and that includes the random American celebrity guests who are clearly out of their element and are awkward as hell.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

pentyne posted:

Milton Jones .... is literally the least funny person I've ever seen on a BBC show

You clearly have a special TV that auto-censors Andy Parsons. Where can I buy one of these devices?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Aw, I like Milton Jones and his weird one-liners.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like Milton Jones, but I don't think he's in any way an effective satirist.

Then again it's Mock the Week, a barely veiled "how much of my show material can I shoehorn into this half hour" competition where nobody cares about satire anyway.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
It amazes me that mock the week can be Have I got news for you for idiots, when have I got news for you has been have I got news for you for idiots for years.

Parse that one.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Apparently 100 years means it's ok to cash in on the death of a generation with an overly sanguine x-factor advert break. Got to sell those groceries. I'm looking forward to the American troops liberating a concentration camp and giving the survivors Coca-Cola(tm) in 32 years time.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I don't watch tv on the tv so adblocker means I hardly ever watch ads. Channel 4 has flip-flopped between allowing it and not and it is currently in not-mode so I go elsewhere. I'm wondering if the knife-edge that I'm balancing on will tilt either way because it's all about critical mass and I'm not sure of the current temperature of the net. I watched wilty all day and in my head I sounds like david mitchell!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Rapacity posted:

I don't watch tv on the tv so adblocker means I hardly ever watch ads. Channel 4 has flip-flopped between allowing it and not and it is currently in not-mode so I go elsewhere. I'm wondering if the knife-edge that I'm balancing on will tilt either way because it's all about critical mass and I'm not sure of the current temperature of the net. I watched wilty all day and in my head I sounds like david mitchell!

If you disable adblock for the first set of ads on 4oD then re-enable it once the content has started, it will block all subsequent ads off that particular programme.

I don't look at much 4oD because of that faff, but I can't resist looking at the advance showing of Toast of London every week. The one that will air on Ch 4 this week features a product that I would buy in a heartbeat if it were to become a reality.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rapacity posted:

At least the ERGONOMIC MANAGEMENT KEYBOARD times are long over thanks to adblock.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I will say the new version of Do They Know It's Christmas is miles better than the one a few years back. thankfully there is no Ebola rap verse, and the new lyrics are fairly inoffensive. Sir Bob is still of course a GIGANTIC numpty

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't understand why they can't write a new charity christmas song for all the celebrities to sing instead of reheating an old one which was always poo poo anyway. It's a noble thing to do (as long as the money actually ends up where it's meant to) but gently caress that song.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is there somewhere I can go on Something Awful to discuss Ripper Street because I just watched s3e02 and I don't think I'll make it through the night if I don't read some fan discussion to allay/confirm my suspicions.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
BBC4 seems to be repeating The Great War, a 26 part (count 'em) doc made for the 50th anniversary of WWI and so chock full of actual eyewitness accounts and interviews as well as reams of archive footage. It's a bit odd to modern sensibilities, instead of being interspersed with a recognisable personality tramping over a hill and talking about a battle that happened there it's JUST narration over archive and eyewitness accounts, a format I much prefer. It's information dense but quite lyrical too with quite a few poetry readings and such throughout the narration. Obviously in terms of the scholarship it's all 50 year old opinions so I don't know how well it gels with the current consensus among historians, but it's well worth a watch, informative and emotionally wrenching without being mawkish or overly sentimental.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Just swinging by to say holy poo poo the missing jesus christ my jaw literally dropped.

I'm not usually this sucked in by TV shows so I dunno if it's me that's changed or the plot is just incredibly compelling but good God.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It is very good yeah, the end of the most recent episode was nightmarish though

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fatkraken posted:

BBC4 seems to be repeating The Great War, a 26 part (count 'em) doc made for the 50th anniversary of WWI and so chock full of actual eyewitness accounts and interviews as well as reams of archive footage. It's a bit odd to modern sensibilities, instead of being interspersed with a recognisable personality tramping over a hill and talking about a battle that happened there it's JUST narration over archive and eyewitness accounts, a format I much prefer. It's information dense but quite lyrical too with quite a few poetry readings and such throughout the narration. Obviously in terms of the scholarship it's all 50 year old opinions so I don't know how well it gels with the current consensus among historians, but it's well worth a watch, informative and emotionally wrenching without being mawkish or overly sentimental.

It's also fantastic for including loads of first-hand sources which is, obviously, rather difficult now.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Jonnty posted:

Just swinging by to say holy poo poo the missing jesus christ my jaw literally dropped.

I'm not usually this sucked in by TV shows so I dunno if it's me that's changed or the plot is just incredibly compelling but good God.

What show are you talking about?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Missing on BBC1. I've not been watching it, which looks like a mistake.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I completely ignored The Missing even though I quite like whatever his name is who's in it. I think I'll watch it on iPlayer now.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Tonight's Channel 4 schedule:

20:00 - How the Rich Get Richer

21:00 - Sarah Beeny's How to Sell Your Home

:smuggo:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Missing is actually very good and you should watch it

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The Missing is actually very good and you should watch it

But only if you don't mind ending up in a fetal position and rocking back and forth in utter dread by the end of each episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Agenda on ITV is poo poo. God, ITV can't even get a political debate program right.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Irisi posted:

But only if you don't mind ending up in a fetal position and rocking back and forth in utter dread by the end of each episode.

Just caught up with the third episode and, well, what you said.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Irisi posted:

It's been a great show so far, I can only hope the remainder lives up to the first 3 episodes and doesn't let us down with a poor conclusion.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh good, my favourite type of winter programme is back on: Enthusiastic BBC Historians Attempt To Live Like Peasants (also known as Tudor Farm, Victorian Farm, et al.). So good to watch, in my centrally-heated, fully plumbed house.

This time they're living as 13th century peasants attempting to help build a medieval castle, while living in a hovel. It's great. I could watch them work and suffer in their cheerfully BBC-ish manner all day.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Irisi posted:

I'll re-state my previous health warning: avoid The Missing if pregnant or trying to conceive.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's been a great show so far, I can only hope the remainder lives up to the first 3 episodes and doesn't let us down with a poor conclusion.

Yeah I'm a bit worried as the end of ep3 was mindblowing but verging on "silly" - hope it keeps the right side of the line. Don't have time to watch ep4 for ages though. grrrr.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm going to get on this The Missing tomorrow. I like a good ol' painful viewing experience.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

In other news I'm pretty sure I saw Clem Fandango walking the streets of Edinburgh earlier today. Like, not the actor, actually him. Almost stopped for a picture.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Irisi posted:

Enthusiastic BBC Historians Attempt To Live Like Peasants

Would you mind naming this? I'm a dirty euro and wish-a to a-partake :sweden:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jesus, I don't even have kids, and the first episode of The Missing gave me the loving fear.